Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

It's too late. It's done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Gripweed posted:

It's too late. It's done.

Well if you dislike them, you'll be able to sell it on SA.

I haven't seen any of the films in the VS giallo boxes. But gialli are kinda like slashers, in that the big names are popular for a reason, and the lesser-knowns are obscure for a reason; there are hidden gems that'll surprise you, but you'll probably find a bunch that you dislike on your quest to find them.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Franchescanado posted:

Well if you dislike them, you'll be able to sell it on SA.

I haven't seen any of the films in the VS giallo boxes. But gialli are kinda like slashers, in that the big names are popular for a reason, and the lesser-knowns are obscure for a reason; there are hidden gems that'll surprise you, but you'll probably find a bunch that you dislike on your quest to find them.

I had some Amazon money to spend on foolish stuff, and I really didn't want to spend a long time agonizing on what to get so I just grabbed some box sets. I got Herzog: The Collection, Eclipse Series: Ingrid Bergman's Swedish Years, and the red Arrow Giallo box. I guess I'll find out.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
I always hope giallo grabs a new fan. I love the drunken/drug fueled whodunit vibes a lot of them have.

Iron Crowned posted:

I don't dislike Giallo, but it doesn't really grab me as a genre, I still haven't cracked open the latest VS giallo set yet.

Admittedly, part of it is I just have to be in the right frame of mind to watch a subtitled film, simply because I have to spend the entire run time paying attention. I also have to pause it if I need to dart to the kitchen to refill my drink or put away my snacks, and with an English language film, I wont miss any dialogue.

Well the good news is tons of them often have English tracks, and Italian films at the time weren't filmed with dialogue recorded on set for the most part so matter the language you're getting a dub. Hell often times the actors didn't speak the same language but would speak their native language while filming scenes with each other. It adds to the vibe imo.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I don’t really care for Giallo. Makes me feel gross most of the time. I’ll give individual releases a chance once in a while but I don’t really seek it out.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
Yeah, most major gialli were filmed for English dubbing. Could sell to more territories that way.

PinkoBastard
Oct 3, 2010
Giallo rules

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Even if I like it I will still continue to pronounce it wrong, on purpose.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Oh drat this Escape from New York UHD looks great. I mostly bought it just because it's one of the last few Carpenter films I don't already own but I didn't really expect the UHD to look this good.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Basebf555 posted:

Oh drat this Escape from New York UHD looks great. I mostly bought it just because it's one of the last few Carpenter films I don't already own but I didn't really expect the UHD to look this good.
Right??? I watched it last night and was really impressed.

I now own 3 Carpenter flicks on UHD: this, The Thing and They Live.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I feel like Big Trouble in Little China UHD can't be far off. At this point it's one of the last of Carpenter's iconic cult classics that hasn't had a UHD yet. Or maybe the last, depending on how you feel about In the Mouth of Madness and Starman. Also his pre-Halloween films Dark Star and Assault on Precinct 13.

Point is we need that Big Trouble in Little China UHD.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

Basebf555 posted:

I feel like Big Trouble in Little China UHD can't be far off. At this point it's one of the last of Carpenter's iconic cult classics that hasn't had a UHD yet. Or maybe the last, depending on how you feel about In the Mouth of Madness and Starman. Also his pre-Halloween films Dark Star and Assault on Precinct 13.

Point is we need that Big Trouble in Little China UHD.

*slams knife and fork on table*

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

Big Trouble in Little China is Fox. I’m not saying it won’t happen, but I will say a UHD release seems very very unlikely.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Oh wait, I forgot I have Halloween on UHD too! lol Okay, so that's 4 Carpenters.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:
God I hate Disney.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Liar Lyre posted:

Big Trouble in Little China is Fox. I’m not saying it won’t happen, but I will say a UHD release seems very very unlikely.

In the six years UHD has been around, a grand total of five 20th Century Fox titles released prior to 2000 have been released on UHD (nine if you count Star Wars OT and TPM).

Universal is close to 50 including boutique licenses.

Disney is literally the only major studio not licensing titles for UHD to boutique labels.

Egbert Souse fucked around with this message at 04:01 on May 19, 2022

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
So, what your saying is we'll get a UHD of The Ward before we get Big Trouble in Little China?

worms butthole guy
Jan 29, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

What's with this cover

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

worms butthole guy posted:

What's with this cover

That's Batman.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

Okay phew I was worried that the person who said "I'm Batman" wasn't Batman.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

What's weird is that those are the Batman movies where Batman doesn't say "I'm Batman"

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
https://i.imgur.com/lBGkljS.mp4

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.
"I'm Batman." is actually a review blurb.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1527295763352535040

gently caress YEAH, I've been waiting for this one!!!

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Gripweed posted:

What's weird is that those are the Batman movies where Batman doesn't say "I'm Batman"

He definitely says it in Batman ‘89, it’s like one of the most memorable parts of the movie.

I know he says it in Batman & Robin too because Clooney gives it a really half-assed delivery, it’s great.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

"I'm Batman?" - Batman?

ringu0
Feb 24, 2013

No, I'm Batman.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!

Rageaholic posted:

https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1527295763352535040

gently caress YEAH, I've been waiting for this one!!!

Day one, let's loving goooooooo.

dont care if it's an up-rez, give me that Dolby Vision blue alien

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Kino Lorber just signed a new Paramount deal that will include 65 titles new to their Studio Classics line, plus they're bringing back six previously released titles. 16 films will be also be released on UHD. They're planning to remaster most Blu-ray titles as a large amount have already been issued on Blu-ray by Paramount themselves. No titles previously released by Olive Films, no silents, some Republic. All 16 UHDs will be titles already on Blu-ray.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Hopefully nothing I just bought on Blu-ray.

Really happy about Edge of Tomorrow coming to UHD.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

Egbert Souse posted:

No titles previously released by Olive Films, no silents,

Boooo

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Basebf555 posted:

At this point it's one of the last of Carpenter's iconic cult classics that hasn't had a UHD yet. Or maybe the last, depending on how you feel about In the Mouth of Madness and Starman.
Take that poo poo all the way up to Vampires and Ghost of Mars, baby. I'll buy 'em. :cool:

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Can I get a UHD of just the first ten minutes of Vampires?

I can do without 4K footage of whichever bloated Baldwin brother eating a bag of hamburgers

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!

Casimir Radon posted:

Hopefully nothing I just bought on Blu-ray.

Really happy about Edge of Tomorrow coming to UHD.

I was thinking that this helps round out all the great sci-fi films from the 10s. Annihilation is an all-timer for me.

Looper, Moon, and now this to round em out. I’m trying to think of what other films come to mind. I like Elysium and Chappie but they don’t hit like the others I’ve listed.

Really hope we can get a Minority Report UHD soon.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I’d kill for a Tron: Legacy UHD, but that’s never happening.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I’d kill for a Tron: Legacy UHD, but that’s never happening.
You and me both. It's supposedly in 4K already on Disney+, right? So never say never, although maybe that doesn't mean anything.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I’ll never watch it on D+ unless they added the IMAX ratios for it.

That’s the reason to bust out the blu ray. I very time it cuts to the shot at Clu’s rally speech my heart skips a beat. Just incredible.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Boywhiz88 posted:

I was thinking that this helps round out all the great sci-fi films from the 10s. Annihilation is an all-timer for me.

Looper, Moon, and now this to round em out. I’m trying to think of what other films come to mind. I like Elysium and Chappie but they don’t hit like the others I’ve listed.

Really hope we can get a Minority Report UHD soon.

Automata. I'm really surprised that hasn't developed a cult following. It's classic boring sci-fi like they don't make anymore, it stars Antonio Banderas, and it's got a really unique and interesting take on the idea of robots becoming self aware. Kinda ruined a lot of other robots becoming self aware stories for me, actually.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.
Batman just signed a new Batman deal that will include 65 titles new to their I'm Batman line, plus they're bringing back six previously released Batman. 16 films will be also be released on Batman. They're planning to remaster most Batman titles as a large amount have already been issued on Batman by Batman themselves. No titles previously released by I'm Batman, no Batman, some Batman. All 16 UHDs will be titles already on I'm Batman.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Can I get a UHD of just the first ten minutes of Vampires?

I can do without 4K footage of whichever bloated Baldwin brother eating a bag of hamburgers

I’d rather have a bag of hamburgers