Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

aw hell yeah.

Probably Magic posted:

The answer all this is, much like me, to get really into short stories, The Best Art Form.

I do think the novel has some merit, but its length constraints frequently lead to stories that can't stick the landing or what have you. As a writer myself, I'm sometimes left thinking that by sticking to short stories, I'm doing my ideas a disservice, that they need more fleshing out, but then, a novel seems too much the other way, a requirement for bloat that I just don't feel like indulging in.

Length is fake, is the point. Book series that are like fifteen books on sword and sorcery poo poo seems like a specifically capitalist invention, Events for the Sake of Events, but Cixin Liu does book series in China, so I'm probably off on that. YA is definitely a capitalist invention though in the way it's marketed. YA has always existed with no much pomp, so it being an Entire Genre now definitely feels like the Hallmark holiday school of consumption inflation.

agreed that short stories are the bests but I feel like there isn’t enough money in them, or maybe just not enough demand, cause not many great authors spend that much time in the form. Ted Chiang is the only current one I can think of off the top of my head who does only/mostly short stories. PKD’s short story collections are fun as gently caress, too, if much less subtle (both in form and function)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

miller is a mad man, and I love him

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/YahooNews/status/1527744694783983616

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
It's Prison' Time!

drat horror queefs posted:

I started that one just this week! It's good :hai:

Decided to take The Silmarilion instead since I started that last month :( Left Hand will be next!

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Casey Finnigan posted:

are you guys still mad about the lady saying to read jane austen books

Culture war is a staple of the goon diet, even for goons who specifically make fun of culture war

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

what’s the sci fi scene in China like? I’m mostly interested in what novels/short stories/tv/comics are up to, it seems like they should have a really unique and fun scene but only that one book series has been translated (to any acclaim) afaik

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

indigi posted:

what’s the sci fi scene in China like? I’m mostly interested in what novels/short stories/tv/comics are up to, it seems like they should have a really unique and fun scene but only that one book series has been translated (to any acclaim) afaik

wandering earth was fun because it was really positive with few human bad guys and a competent, progressive world government

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
this is what happens when smythe isn't on your design team

https://twitter.com/CultureCrave/status/1527676079070072833

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

indigi posted:

It's very funny you mention that because I just rented out a collection of short stories from China, "Broken Stars," translated by Ken Liu who also translated The Three-Body Problem. And what I've read so far has been pretty good, from being pretty satirical to funny. A big concern of theirs is the rapid industrialization overcoming the country, so you get a lot of metaphors for that which attempt to wrestle with such. If it's available around you, you should check it out. I almost wish I could get a permanent copy myself.

Yadoppsi
May 10, 2009

Blood Boils posted:

drat I love Ash but now I'm seriously reconsidering her as my fantasy girlfriend

Stop reading elf books?? Corum Jhaelen Irsei isn't a elf, he's a Vadhagh how many times must I say this, you never listen to me

As a proper Communist she is just upset her boyfriend is reading anarchist adjacent writers like Le Guin and Melville. Completely understandable.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Yadoppsi posted:

As a proper Communist she is just upset her boyfriend is reading anarchist adjacent writers like Le Guin and Melville. Completely understandable.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

i say swears online posted:

wandering earth was fun because it was really positive with few human bad guys and a competent, progressive world government

will look for this tonight thanks

Probably Magic posted:

It's very funny you mention that because I just rented out a collection of short stories from China, "Broken Stars," translated by Ken Liu who also translated The Three-Body Problem. And what I've read so far has been pretty good, from being pretty satirical to funny. A big concern of theirs is the rapid industrialization overcoming the country, so you get a lot of metaphors for that which attempt to wrestle with such. If it's available around you, you should check it out. I almost wish I could get a permanent copy myself.

thanks for the heads up that sounds neat

e: also does China have anything like AO3/big fanfic culture

indigi has issued a correction as of 01:46 on May 21, 2022

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Jonny 290 posted:

I have female friends more muscular than she hulk looks , it's ridiculous

Hell,.gal.gadot as wonder woman isn't far off. Gina Carano in the star wars show looked twice as big as she hulk

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔
it seems like if you're gonna use cgi to make a person look muscular you might as well go all out with it

cause if you don't care about the character looking muscular it'd be a lot cheaper to just use green bodypaint and camera angles

not gonna watch the show either way so :shrug:

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

it's possible if people whine enough they sonic her and we get Rob Leifeld She-Hulk

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

these things all look bad but theres a very distinct superbowl ad vibe to she hulks cgi

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Casey Finnigan posted:

it seems like if you're gonna use cgi to make a person look muscular you might as well go all out with it

Farm Frenzy posted:

these things all look bad but theres a very distinct superbowl ad vibe to she hulks cgi

concur

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Watched Murder on the Orient Express today. I thought it was a fun movie, but pretty underwhelming when you take a look at the actual cast.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

AnimeIsTrash posted:

Watched Murder on the Orient Express today. I thought it was a fun movie, but pretty underwhelming when you take a look at the actual cast.

I liked it a lot and also watched Death On The Nile couple weeks ago. I didn't know the Orient Express twist going into it, so that was super rewarding on the reveal, but I think both of them are pretty good and just nice long slow-dark-evening films where you eat a gummie and pour a glass of wine and just vibe

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
White women seem to be incredibly defensive of their trashy pop culture tastes

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

people give the Child's Play / Chuckie franchise a lot of poo poo, and it's not totally unearned, but it's such a passion project for everyone involved that i can't help but root for it - and it has, by far, the best movie-to-movie continuity of any long running horror franchise ive watched, with all of the movies (except the recent reboot) plausibly existing in the same continuity

addendum: i watched the entire movie franchise for the first time when the reboot came out, since i was really only familiar with the first three, and when The Big Reveal hits halfway into Curse of Chuckie i was loving hooting and hollering and my teeth were huge and my gums were super visible

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i watched the serkis (lets just be real here) planet of the apes trilogy last year and i think it might be bout time to rewatch

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Disney should have filmed all the normal Jennifer Walters scenes, taken a six month break in filming to put tatiana maslany on the Kingo program, and then painted her green to film the She-Hulk scenes.

Dasar
Apr 30, 2022

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Jonny 290 posted:

i knew her legs seemed skinny

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Jonny 290 posted:

i watched the serkis (lets just be real here) planet of the apes trilogy last year and i think it might be bout time to rewatch

it’s super impressive (and secretly a little annoying) how for like ten years Serkis was “oh yeah, the weirdo motion capture dude! he drinks honey and ginger vinegar to do his voices!” and now he’s like a beefy silver fox hunk doing live acting in Marvel and DC movies and is good at that too

e: what the gently caress and he directed Venom apparently. love the guy

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

lol he was snoke

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Andy Serkis is directing a film adaptation [of Animal Farm] for Netflix, with Matt Reeves producing.[91] Serkis began work on the film after finishing directing duties for Venom: Let There Be Carnage.[92]

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

uh oh

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

finally watched everything everywhere all at once. holy poo poo what a fantastic movie

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

babypolis posted:

finally watched everything everywhere all at once. holy poo poo what a fantastic movie

I could not loving believe what was happening during Jenny Slate’s fight scene, then they top it, immediately, twice

Durf
Aug 16, 2017

'Everything' was the first time in awhile I was afraid to leave my seat for a bathroom break, and nobody else in the theatre moved either

it was a packed house a month after release and you could still hear a pin drop during the rock scene

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

Jonny 290 posted:

Of course they did.

I don't remember who said the new season of Kids In The Hall is great, but they're right. The new season of Kids in the Hall is great.

Durf
Aug 16, 2017

the last ep of season 3 Love Death Robots is pretty wild

i love the kinetic energy of Alberto Mielgo's direction

https://i.imgur.com/kd3ZROl.mp4

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

mastershakeman posted:

No.

I just rewatched the end of rise of Skywalker because I couldn't remember how the first order was defeated and then when I realized they weren't I had a big laugh

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

I watched the first episode of the new KITH and only laughed at the dicks

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

I've only watched the first episode as well and was similarly underwhelmed but I did appreciate the two cops bonding over their fear of two piles of discarded clothing on the lam

Durf
Aug 16, 2017

mastershakeman posted:

No.

I just rewatched the end of rise of Skywalker because I couldn't remember how the first order was defeated and then when I realized they weren't I had a big laugh

'Somehow Palpatine returned' still wasnt as funny to me as the closest thing to an explanation being tied to a special event in Fortnite

just some giant hologram screaming IM BACK at the kids dancing below, all wondering wtf Travis Scott did to himself

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

Same but the second I thought was way better. The Foley Doctor skit had me lolin

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

galagazombie posted:

This has to be one of those terrible scripts they’re forced to make because it’s the baby of some CEO’s nepotistic kid.

the kid of Gopher from the love boat lol