Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
They were smart enough to instantly know it had a better chance than fighting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alpha Kenny Juan
Apr 11, 2007

Brought To You By posted:

Disappointed that Crocel didn't try and attack with Ice when she did against the teachers a chapter ago. But as a hairtrigger response, an appeal to cuteness makes sense.

I saw it as an attempt at a combination attack against Kalego. Full Love and Idol makes more sense than Full Love and Icicles. Work with your partner, not against them.

Also lol at

thetoughestbean posted:

They tried to seduce Kalego, on of the least horny people alive

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
To be fair, Crocell was using a different kind of seduction! She's an evidol, after all. It's the sort of appeal that makes you empty your bank account for handshake events, figurines, and posters.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
This arc has been a nice mix of showing how much everyone has grown whilst also making it clear they have so much farther to go.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Alpha Kenny Juan posted:

I saw it as an attempt at a combination attack against Kalego. Full Love and Idol makes more sense than Full Love and Icicles. Work with your partner, not against them.

Eh, Ix's ability doesn't really synergize with other people seducing the same target since it's not an ability that just boosts the horny factor overall, it's all about the target's attraction to her. I'm fine with Crocel not using the Ice for the reason Tenebrais said plus again, it was a hair trigger response to a huge threat and Crocell is more themed around her desire to be cute/beautiful than her ice magic. Basically I think more along the idea of going on the full offense in a situation so ice magic is in line with that.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost
The Easy Way Out

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
This continues to not really feel like an effective teaching exercise.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
The point was less to be an effective teaching lesson and more of a "the teachers are bored and also want to knock the misfits down a peg just to keep them from getting too arrogant and also because demons enjoy loving with people like that" scenario.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

I notice the author has a particular page they like to draw. A single page of one of the misfits pouring their heart out while staring at whoever they are talking too, but the framing has them looking the reader in the eyes. Everyone is shouting during this page. I love it every time it happens, I look forward to collecting each and every one

As for the chapter It was really nice of Balam Sensei to let Agares school those two punks. I never liked them and wanting to outright surrender after all that's happened was the final straw even for me.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Brought To You By posted:

I notice the author has a particular page they like to draw. A single page of one of the misfits pouring their heart out while staring at whoever they are talking too, but the framing has them looking the reader in the eyes. Everyone is shouting during this page. I love it every time it happens, I look forward to collecting each and every one

As for the chapter It was really nice of Balam Sensei to let Agares school those two punks. I never liked them and wanting to outright surrender after all that's happened was the final straw even for me.

I love for the author's closeups. They're just so good :discourse:

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
yeah, this is definitely the author yelling at the reader lol

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Captain Invictus posted:

yeah, this is definitely the author yelling at the reader lol

Hi Oreki

Rand Brittain posted:

This continues to not really feel like an effective teaching exercise.

It is insofar as it's a lesson on not being so cocky and knowing where they stand compared to their teachers. They're learning a lesson on getting a whuppin'

Xelkelvos fucked around with this message at 14:57 on May 17, 2022

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
They're also getting pushed to their limits, which is helping some of them develop. The rest who are knocked out quickly just learn they have a long way to go.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost
Blind Spot

Adnor
Jan 11, 2013

Justice for Daisy

I don't know if torturing students is good but also I'm not a demon so who am I to judge

ThingOne
Jul 30, 2011

Would you like some tofu?

The Eggs are going to come in clutch I just know it

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Adnor posted:

I don't know if torturing students is good but also I'm not a demon so who am I to judge

Judging by everyone's reactions it seems a bit much even for demons.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

ThingOne posted:

The Eggs are going to come in clutch I just know it
:golfclap:

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
https://mangadex.org/chapter/0dfc95b9-2ba6-424d-b59d-ae96dcdbfc20/1

That was almost really hosed up.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
I am reminded that this story is about demons living in a demon world. Because that was potentially really hosed up.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Yeah, I'm not gonna lie, this is actually a serious tonal shift from pretty much everything that's come before and it's kind of bizarre.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Rand Brittain posted:

Yeah, I'm not gonna lie, this is actually a serious tonal shift from pretty much everything that's come before and it's kind of bizarre.

It is somewhat on par with the Six-fingers stuff, which I also frankly don't really care for.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Agreed on the "wow that was hosed up part", but also I'm extremely amused Iruma's strategy appears to have become "just move to fast and too hard for anyone to do anything and hope the heart doesn't pop".

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
On the other hand, this is a demon school in hell. Why wouldn't torture be on the curriculum?

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Darth Walrus posted:

On the other hand, this is a demon school in hell. Why wouldn't torture be on the curriculum?

I mean, there have been references to demons doing fairly evil things in the past, but actually having it be explicit that our buddy Jazz was just waterboarded, and obviously pretty genuinely traumatized by it, is on a very different level than the part of the exercise where Sullivan was sitting in a tank as part of a hilarious "pretending to be an enemy bioweapon" act. It's really hard to look at Babylls the same way now that they're actively breaking the students they're supposed to be protecting, and like I've said before, it's a big swerve because previously the teachers have been pretty consistent about being fair and supportive even while also being harsh.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Rand Brittain posted:

I mean, there have been references to demons doing fairly evil things in the past, but actually having it be explicit that our buddy Jazz was just waterboarded, and obviously pretty genuinely traumatized by it, is on a very different level than the part of the exercise where Sullivan was sitting in a tank as part of a hilarious "pretending to be an enemy bioweapon" act. It's really hard to look at Babylls the same way now that they're actively breaking the students they're supposed to be protecting, and like I've said before, it's a big swerve because previously the teachers have been pretty consistent about being fair and supportive even while also being harsh.

To add to this, the only other time torture came up was when Iruma was getting ready for exams and Balam made him text books. They did mention torture at that point, but it was just a tiny part of the "gee, aren't demon subjects weird" joke and didn't really get any focus.

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013
Marbas has been mentioned as the torture teacher several times. Even had the panel of him covered in blood after working with his tools.

It's definitely an escalation, but the demons being kind of messed up has been a running theme.

Missingnoleader
Mar 10, 2014

Nemo2342 posted:

To add to this, the only other time torture came up was when Iruma was getting ready for exams and Balam made him text books. They did mention torture at that point, but it was just a tiny part of the "gee, aren't demon subjects weird" joke and didn't really get any focus.

It was mentioned in chapter 3 too alongside the textbooks they were getting before Clara showed up.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

It's definitely been mentioned before in a "ha-ha" kind of way, but there's a difference between "hee hee, demon classes involve blackmail and torture" and "Jazz gets brutalized on-page by someone he's supposed to be able to trust so that the Misfits can have a fancy classroom".

Like, seriously, at this point is it even worth trying to win? Is avoiding losing Royal One and not dropping a rank really worth what just happened to Jazz?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Rand Brittain posted:

It's definitely been mentioned before in a "ha-ha" kind of way, but there's a difference between "hee hee, demon classes involve blackmail and torture" and "Jazz gets brutalized on-page by someone he's supposed to be able to trust so that the Misfits can have a fancy classroom".

Like, seriously, at this point is it even worth trying to win? Is avoiding losing Royal One and not dropping a rank really worth what just happened to Jazz?

Jazz is studying to become a professional thief and con-man. He's just being taught important life-skills in a relatively safe, supportive environment.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Rand Brittain posted:

Owl Boy just got his rear end beaten into unconsciousness while functionally not fighting back against a teacher. Even before this arc, Jazz's entire training arc consisted of being abused, lied to, tricked, exploited, and abandoned by his supposed mentor to acclimate him to others doing that to him(even his little flashback features his mentor laughing at him for getting scammed).

We've long since thrown out the "the kids are meant to feel safe and trust their teachers" concept.

Soylentbits
Apr 2, 2007

im worried that theyre setting her up to be jotaros future wife or something.
Are they setting up torture teacher being a traitor?

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

I don't think so. We already have a couple of traitor teachers, I think torture guy just loves torture and every opportunity he has to try it out on people, because he's a demon and this is a demon school.

The only weird part of this chapter is that I expected the torture to be portrayed a lot more cartoonishly.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Darth Walrus posted:

Jazz is studying to become a professional thief and con-man. He's just being taught important life-skills in a relatively safe, supportive environment.

Yeah the teacher was careful to make sure they had medical staff standing by before he started trying to traumatize Jazz beyond his breaking point :v:

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

The demons have shown time and again to not have morality the same way humans do. Like in Walter Park (which is in itself built over a prison), even the sympathetic, "good" demons were baffled that Iruma wanted to help trapped children.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Yeah the teacher was careful to make sure they had medical staff standing by before he started trying to traumatize Jazz beyond his breaking point :v:

I mean, if he wants to be the demon equivalent of Lupin III, he's going to have to start learning how to shrug off torture somewhere and somehow.

This isn't even just a 'demons have incredibly skewed morality' thing - the Misfits have signed up to be the absolute best of the best at what they do, and are being pushed to their limits in their preferred skillsets. For Jazz, that involves keeping secrets and misdirecting people under the most extreme duress.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
new chapter

whoever predicted iruma'd yoink kalego at a pivotal moment, you win a prize

even yoinked cerberus too!

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Captain Invictus posted:

new chapter

whoever predicted iruma'd yoink kalego at a pivotal moment, you win a prize

even yoinked cerberus too!

The reaction to being turned cute was amazing for both Kalego and Cerberus.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

This was everything I've wanted and more. :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013
Eye to Eye