Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Ytlaya posted:

The problem with music in manga is that they have to somehow communicate how totally awesome it is without any sound.

I guess it's a similar principle to the food manga where they have to use crazy imagery to communicate how mindblowing the food was.

Sure, but in PPPPPP it isn’t purely a metaphor; everyone hearing the same performance seemingly sees the same imagery.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
(Sakamoto Days) Man, it sure is fun watching Sakamoto just dunk on a dude, it’s basically a gag manga half the time when he goes all in.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
Hell Yeah Ayashimon

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Ayashimon got me with that fake out opening because something like that has the earmarks of a soon to be canceled series but thankfully it was just the attack doing it.

For this week's Super Smartphone I don't know about this development with Q where he talked about how he didn't really care about the raid in the abstract but was only stopping it because of his friend.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
ayashimon's still has that running-on-fast-forward feeling manga get when the axe is grazing their neck, but at least it's probably not that close to cancellation

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

that Sakamoto chapter is just a microcosm of why it's such a fun manga. Some fun sight Gags ("what are you doing?" "I'm swimming") and really inventive action backed up by clear and stylish art.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Sakamoto Days is my favorite ongoing series right now besides OP. Came here to express how loving awesome of a chapter that was. At first I was disappointed that Sakamoto was here to sub in for Shin yet again but I can't be mad at that fight at all. Legitimately some of the best action sequences I've seen in a while.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Akane-banashi: Still great! Koguma calling out Akane for not knowing the original version of Jugemu hits me where it hurts because I claim to be a fan of stuff but don't really make an effort to follow or engage with side materials/works that expand upon them. It's only a single chapter but we've seen a lot of sides to Koguma already, and I dig it. Excited to see what his rakugo is like.

Ayashimon: Got pretty meta there for a sec.

Elusive Samurai: Man Shokan's changed so much since we first saw him as a murdering & raping & pillaging scumbag. Obviously this doesn't change the fact that his sins will follow him wherever he goes, but I'm very invested in this battle. We're gettin' to see what the dude is capable of for real now.

Mashle: The trainer slapping the poo poo out of Mash and then chalking up Mash's injuries to the training was a fun gag. Also I guess the sidelined dude is finally getting to work as a healer. I literally forgot to include Mashle in this list and felt like I was forgetting something, and had to check MangaPlus to figure out what it was.

Roboco: Very romantic chapter, it's just kids being adorably and pretentiously feelin' getting in a mood and I can certainly understand the appeal of doing so.

Sakamoto Days: Holy hell this was an amazing fight, brings me back to Sakamoto vs X in the subway. This manga has insane fight choreography, and Sakamoto's tendency to use any random object as a nigh-lethal weapon is both funny & cool as hell.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

muscles like this! posted:

Ayashimon got me with that fake out opening because something like that has the earmarks of a soon to be canceled series but thankfully it was just the attack doing it.

For this week's Super Smartphone I don't know about this development with Q where he talked about how he didn't really care about the raid in the abstract but was only stopping it because of his friend.

It makes sense with how he has acted.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

mabels big day posted:

Sakamoto Days is my favorite ongoing series right now besides OP. Came here to express how loving awesome of a chapter that was. At first I was disappointed that Sakamoto was here to sub in for Shin yet again but I can't be mad at that fight at all. Legitimately some of the best action sequences I've seen in a while.

Sakamoto Days is a bit of a surprise because early into its run I didn't think it'd last, but it managed to find its own identity pretty successfully.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

Mashle: The trainer slapping the poo poo out of Mash and then chalking up Mash's injuries to the training was a fun gag. Also I guess the sidelined dude is finally getting to work as a healer. I literally forgot to include Mashle in this list and felt like I was forgetting something, and had to check MangaPlus to figure out what it was.

Yeah, this was even funnier when I realized it was an excuse for all Our Heroes to have to hold out for GokuMash. It's very in tone for the comic.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Jerkface posted:

that Sakamoto chapter is just a microcosm of why it's such a fun manga. Some fun sight Gags ("what are you doing?" "I'm swimming") and really inventive action backed up by clear and stylish art.

So much this. That "I'm swimming" cracked me up so hard. It's a wonderful cut away gag.
Same as how the "weapons" used by Sakamoto reinforce the theme of his threat. It's a perfect chapter. I'd say it has 0 flaws and was the best chapter this week.

Ayashimon: That fake out got me pretty hard, but it was a fine chapter otherwise. Can't wait for next week.

Doron: Honestly, pretty weak. They played Kusanagi's naivety straight.

Mash: Setup chapter.
You know I just don't buy that brother fued, but that's also because I feel like we never see the Aymes family interacting ever. Except now. :shrug:

I Am Fowl posted:

Yeah, this was even funnier when I realized it was an excuse for all Our Heroes to have to hold out for GokuMash. It's very in tone for the comic.
I didn't even make this connection, but that is indeed quite funny. I wonder if they'll give it a shout out.

Super Smartphone: Feels a little early to be here already, but it's definitely interesting. Is Q also a martial artist? Also lol at the smart phone refusing to work as an alarm clock.

Undead Unluck: Talking corpses. There was something sweet here. :( But god I hate Andy so much.

Earthchild: Somehow the insane plan where the love of the grandparents meant the baby recognizes a rock as his mom worked?
Now, why was Reisuke shocked when he went in there last time? All he saw was a chest, or did he already open it somehow?
And how does this even work? The chest was filled with old memories and stuff she made when she was a kid...but how did she make them if they drugged her to fast forward her growth? (which included her mind) Or are they now bonding over stuff that Waste planted to go along with their fake 10 years of memories. Actually I choose the reality where Katagiri sat at his desk folding cranes and fake flowers to support the fake story they made.
Meanwhile Katagiri again decides that he made a mistake in wiping people's memory...which is why the mind wiping hats are literally right there on the table. :negative: At least smash them with a hammer in some fake atonement.
And why did Waste's tampering create fuzzy images of her and Reisuke together? I don't get this glorious mess at all. :psyduck: All they needed to do was wipe out her having special powers. They really are incompetent.
Well, let's go back to space now I guess. We haven't shat on the astronaut lady in 3 weeks, we need to fix that.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.
Chiming in on how great the latest chapter of Sakamoto Days is. If this ever gets an anime adaptation it better get all the money, because I'll be upset if that fight ends up looking like poo poo.

Also, cute chapter of Witch Watch. That look on Morihito's face was so dumb, it was perfect

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
:sigh:

https://twitter.com/MangaMoguraRE/status/1529272581412495361?s=20&t=rrxAURfp5jQlpZGshcJC2A

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

This is approaching a Double Arts level of crime.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Ethiser posted:

This is approaching a Double Arts level of crime.

Canned before volume 2 is released, despite 2 reprints pushing the first volume well above the rookie baseline, Jump needing new series bad, and its two wavemates moving absolute crap numbers?

What in the hell was going on here?

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
Earthchild gets to live while Ayashimon dies? :dafuq:

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Brought To You By posted:

Earthchild's only at chapter 13, while Ayashimon made it to chapter 24. Presumably, Earthchild's getting iced later on.

It's Shugomaru and Doron that make me confused here. They sold much, much worse, and don't seem to have polled better. If either of them survives the wave, then I don't know what the hell is going on here.

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
Could it be that Ayashimon will end in Jump but move to Jump+? Otherwise nothing about this makes sense unless this is the author’s decision.

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet
This is a huge bummer

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

chiasaur11 posted:

Earthchild's only at chapter 13, while Ayashimon made it to chapter 24. Presumably, Earthchild's getting iced later on.

It's Shugomaru and Doron that make me confused here. They sold much, much worse, and don't seem to have polled better. If either of them survives the wave, then I don't know what the hell is going on here.

shugomaru could easily be ending too. otherwise this would just be the third ultimate villain fakeout they've done

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

chiasaur11 posted:

What in the hell was going on here?

The people who fill out jump surveys have poo poo taste.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I do not share Jump's tastes and I have made peace with this now.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

RareAcumen posted:

I do not share Jump's tastes and I have made peace with this now.

That's not the weird thing. The weird thing is that Ayashimon's sales were much, much better than projected, and they didn't even give it a second volume to see if that was a fluke before bringing down the axe.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

chiasaur11 posted:

That's not the weird thing. The weird thing is that Ayashimon's sales were much, much better than projected, and they didn't even give it a second volume to see if that was a fluke before bringing down the axe.

I liked Red Hood and would've liked to see it continue for another 49 chapters if it had that much story in it

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Brought To You By posted:

I had the same thought. Earthchild's so bad that I'd rather they cancel it now and keep Ayashimon around.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

this loving sucks

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

not surprising but very disappointing all the same. ayashimon was one of the better series in jump imo

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
bad decision by jump editorial

chefscientist
Mar 23, 2007

#1 Cockeyed Ghost fan

chiasaur11 posted:

loving sucks, but also I could honestly imagine this artist being hampered by being in Jump when Jump+ probably suits them better. On top of that I think a lot was made out of the elements that were present so far, but on the other hand I don't think Ayashimon had that much room to grow and develop. It is possible to get a good amount into making a story and realize there's just not many places for it to go after all.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

chefscientist posted:

loving sucks, but also I could honestly imagine this artist being hampered by being in Jump when Jump+ probably suits them better. On top of that I think a lot was made out of the elements that were present so far, but on the other hand I don't think Ayashimon had that much room to grow and develop. It is possible to get a good amount into making a story and realize there's just not many places for it to go after all.

I can kind of agree with this but at the same time I also wonder if it might be due in part to the author feeling like they had to rush poo poo (for apparently good reason).

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

I didn't see this coming. I liked Maruo and it's had some real bangers of chapters. But I was never that fond of the rough art style.
I guess Ayashimon died so Earthchild could live. :unsmith:

Doron is only 1 chapter younger than Ayashimon, I wonder how that is doing. Apparently the removal of the girl had to do with her relative unpopularity. So maybe that will buy them some time.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

the new girl has been epic so i wouldn't be that sad

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
loving disgrace.

Edit: And so help me God if this is for that four chapter spewtum of HxH.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

ConanThe3rd posted:

loving disgrace.

Edit: And so help me God if this is for that four chapter spewtum of HxH.

No series are not ended for Hunter.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I legit forgot about the first girl in doron. it's been ages since she showed up, huh

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i don't really see what was so terrible about her, but then i also don't see why an interesting new manga that sold well got canned.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Darth TNT posted:

I didn't see this coming. I liked Maruo and it's had some real bangers of chapters. But I was never that fond of the rough art style.
I guess Ayashimon died so Earthchild could live. :unsmith:

Doron is only 1 chapter younger than Ayashimon, I wonder how that is doing. Apparently the removal of the girl had to do with her relative unpopularity. So maybe that will buy them some time.

I don't know about polling, beyond it being at the bottom with Ayashimon and Shugimaru, but I do know that sales for volume 1 were really weak. If Doron survives, I'd be pretty surprised.

Man. Jump's not in the worst shape it's been or anything. One Piece and Jujutsu are massive, Roboco's a pretty solid hit for a gag manga, and Blue Box and Sakamoto Days are hits with growth potential, especially when they get anime. But with MHA, Black Clover, and Mash on a deadline, Jujutsu leaving at an unknown point in the likely not-to-distant future, and Samurai and Undead declining in sales, it is looking messy at the moment.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
To be honest, after a promising start I think Ayashimon's quality went down as it became more of a standard shonen, even to the point where the protagonist recently had the revelation that it's better to fight to help other people, so while I'm sad to see it go (great artstyle, fun ideas, cool characters), I'm also not heartbroken.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

i don't really see what was so terrible about her, but then i also don't see why an interesting new manga that sold well got canned.
Apparently, like me a lot of people hated her face. She did grow on me over time though. But character interactions are easily Doron's strong point. It's like Candy Flurry done right.

chiasaur11 posted:

I don't know about polling, beyond it being at the bottom with Ayashimon and Shugimaru, but I do know that sales for volume 1 were really weak. If Doron survives, I'd be pretty surprised.

Man. Jump's not in the worst shape it's been or anything. One Piece and Jujutsu are massive, Roboco's a pretty solid hit for a gag manga, and Blue Box and Sakamoto Days are hits with growth potential, especially when they get anime. But with MHA, Black Clover, and Mash on a deadline, Jujutsu leaving at an unknown point in the likely not-to-distant future, and Samurai and Undead declining in sales, it is looking messy at the moment.

I'm fairly certain Shugo is about to die. And I won't miss it. It had some good gags, but it's just not good.

Sakamoto is really awesome...but does anyone have any idea what we're currently trying to accomplish? I think he'd trying to find that other organisation because...something?