Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

You could put a simple one way flap with a gasket to seal, I think they sell these for dryers. I dunno if your activated carbon extraction system will have enough airflow to shut the dryer flap, but it could work. But yeah most likely you'll end up with a lot of lint in your 3d goo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
Please don't gently caress with joining a fume exhaust and a forced heated air exhaust together.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Hadlock posted:

You could put a simple one way flap with a gasket to seal, I think they sell these for dryers. I dunno if your activated carbon extraction system will have enough airflow to shut the dryer flap, but it could work. But yeah most likely you'll end up with a lot of lint in your 3d goo

No. Just no.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

biracial bear for uncut posted:

Please don't gently caress with joining a fume exhaust and a forced heated air exhaust together.

Vaporware
May 22, 2004

Still not here yet.
Those check valves barely work for two forced air systems

Mr. Mercury
Aug 13, 2021

RabbitWizard
Oct 21, 2008

Muldoon
Just use an inline-fan after the Y-part that can pull more air than the dryer can put out, simple :cool:

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Vaporware posted:

Those check valves barely work for two forced air systems

Yeah I always figured it some point that poo poo gets blown back in even if you put like a filter on one to try and remove it somehow. Honestly I’m fine with using a respirator. My concern is getting right those materials from the area safely, so if my wife goes in to do the wash there’s not toxic chemicals lingering.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

What is the ownership/use ratio of FDM to Resin printers in this thread

My guess is 8:1

Every time I read about skin allergies uv, gloves and toxic fumes I'm just like :psyduck:

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
I have both, but hobby money is mostly going towards resin printer at the moment so I can finally finish Wahrhammer 40k armies I started in the late 90s. Once that's done I'll be working on my filament printer for handy and useful things.

Tremors
Aug 16, 2006

What happened to the legendary Chris Redfield, huh? What happened to you?!

Hadlock posted:

Every time I read about skin allergies uv, gloves and toxic fumes I'm just like :psyduck:

If I had a separate space to dedicate to a resin printer I'd have one in a heartbeat. All the fumes and cleaning without that make it a hard pass.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

I absolutely love resin printing, far more than FDM at the moment (though that may change with some of the newer printers that will be arriving on the market in the coming year).

With that said, I absolutely would not recommend it to someone who doesn't have the dedicated space to set up a 3D printer so that pets/kids can't get into it, and that can keep spills/smells away from the rest of the house.

I personally haven't had an issue with resin odors (the IPA used in cleaning resin has a much stronger odor, in my opinion), but I freely acknowledge that YMMV.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
I have a separate building in my backyard for my hobby poo poo and I still won't gently caress with resin printers because the nerve damage in my hands from chemotherapy = nope not going to risk dropping no-poo poo toxic stuff/splash exposure to industrial toxins.

Plus my use cases for 3d printing don't see any benefit for a resin printer at hobbyist pricing.

Isometric Bacon
Jul 24, 2004

Let's get naked!
I'm really keen on resin printing, but everytime I start to do my research I start to second guess, especially since I have young kids who always want to run around underfoot.

I have a pretty drafty garage, so I could find the space. But I also mysteriously just started to get itchy esczma in my 30s, so random exposure to materials in my skin concerns me a bit.

I have been experimenting with using UV resin like a paint to finish my fdm prints, curing until it is inert and sanding them. It does a great job, and I always wear a respirator outside, but I'm concious that making all those particles that get everywhere can't be good.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Sanding UV cured resin is generally a bad idea unless it's wet sanded or in an isolated spray booth. I'm pretty OK with the risks of liquid resin as I have protection and ventilation procedures for it but sanding would give me the heebie jeebies.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

Hadlock posted:

Has to be almost entirely FDM, skewed by 3 or 4 of us being major resellers for resin.

Honestly unless your doing miniatures there's almost no reason to have a resin printer, vs the strength and variety of materials you can use in a cheapo FDM printer

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

The resin people hang out in the Tabletop 3d printing thread

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Ok so we have a gun 3d printing thread, and a tabletop 3d printing thread, and a 3d modeling thread, this thread

Any other threads I should know about? Hadn't seen the tabletop thread before

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

I only have an FDM. The rest of my hobby brainpower is split among my laser cutters, silhouette, and CNC project.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Holy crap, all this talk about resin printing has got me thinking maybe it would be safer to just invest in a beryllium printer instead.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

...but what if we just extruded spiders?

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.
I started off with resin mostly for printing minis, then picked up an Ender a year later. 90% of my printing is FDM now, with the resin reserves for the high-detail stuff. To be fair though, I’ve made something like 5x the initial cost of the resin printer casually selling stuff on eBay.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
No regrats starting and staying with resin :colbert:

I just love how little I have to screw around with it. Not at all to be exact, literally leveled the platform once when I got it like 2 years ago and haven't touched anything since. Just print. I think the resin mess tends to be greaty overstated. I just dunk the prints into IPA, then throw them outside or under UV light and it's done. Obviously there are some use cases where FDM would be much better but resin really covers a lot more stuff for me than just miniatures.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

The fumes and clean up isn't that bad.

The most annoying thing is feeling like you have to pray to the Resin Gods for the print to come out correctly, and others are just like "I print perfectly all the time idk what you're on about :colbert:"

Like, the above poster. :unsmigghh:

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

mobby_6kl posted:

No regrats starting and staying with resin :colbert:

I just love how little I have to screw around with it. Not at all to be exact, literally leveled the platform once when I got it like 2 years ago and haven't touched anything since. Just print. I think the resin mess tends to be greaty overstated. I just dunk the prints into IPA, then throw them outside or under UV light and it's done. Obviously there are some use cases where FDM would be much better but resin really covers a lot more stuff for me than just miniatures.

Seconding this; people slop chemicals around their kitchens, bathrooms, and other parts of their house that are just as harsh as (if not harsher than) resin when it comes to getting them in their skin or eyes, or breathing their fumes into their lungs. Often without even pausing to put on the appropriate PPE.

This is not to minimize how toxic resin is, you absolutely don't want to get it on you or leave it on your skin for any length of time. But if you treat it with respect and don't just casually slop it around like people tend to do with bleach or other dangerous household chemicals, you'll be OK.

Besides, a lot of FDM printing is not without its dangers, either. Even without the threat of thermal runaway burning your house down (a threat which I acknowledge has largely been solved by the more reputable FDM printer manufacturers), there's still some filaments that you absolutely do not want to extrude without having proper ventilation. And of course let's not forget the whole "acetone vapor bath to smooth ABS prints" thing I see some people elsewhere still recommending. :v:

frogge
Apr 7, 2006

I got an FDM shortly after when my buddy got his and he's made the jump to resin since then. I don't know if it was to one-up me so he's the only one in the social circle with one or something but yeah I have the same concerns as a few others upthread- I don't want my pets getting into any nasty stuff by accident and I'm already super icked out when using normal household cleaners. I'm ok with printing sliced up miniatures on my prusa mini+, gluing them together, and putting up with them having seams so I don't have to deal with all that. Hell, the few times I absolutely wanted something in resin I just hit up my buddy.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

frogge posted:

I got an FDM shortly after when my buddy got his and he's made the jump to resin since then. I don't know if it was to one-up me so he's the only one in the social circle with one or something but yeah I have the same concerns as a few others upthread- I don't want my pets getting into any nasty stuff by accident and I'm already super icked out when using normal household cleaners. I'm ok with printing sliced up miniatures on my prusa mini+, gluing them together, and putting up with them having seams so I don't have to deal with all that. Hell, the few times I absolutely wanted something in resin I just hit up my buddy.

And again, that's totally understandable. I have a separate room my resin printers are in, and the door is kept closed at all times. My cats sometimes look at the door with that "wonder what's in there" look, but a few cat treats in their dish in the kitchen usually takes care of that. :v:

insta
Jan 28, 2009

Sydney Bottocks posted:

Seconding this; people slop chemicals around their kitchens, bathrooms, and other parts of their house that are just as harsh as (if not harsher than) resin when it comes to getting them in their skin or eyes, or breathing their fumes into their lungs. Often without even pausing to put on the appropriate PPE.

This is not to minimize how toxic resin is, you absolutely don't want to get it on you or leave it on your skin for any length of time. But if you treat it with respect and don't just casually slop it around like people tend to do with bleach or other dangerous household chemicals, you'll be OK.

Besides, a lot of FDM printing is not without its dangers, either. Even without the threat of thermal runaway burning your house down (a threat which I acknowledge has largely been solved by the more reputable FDM printer manufacturers), there's still some filaments that you absolutely do not want to extrude without having proper ventilation. And of course let's not forget the whole "acetone vapor bath to smooth ABS prints" thing I see some people elsewhere still recommending. :v:

There is a metabolic pathway in the liver that creates acetone, and therefore a metabolic pathway in the liver to break down acetone. There's no metabolic pathway for your turbocancer resins.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

insta posted:

There is a metabolic pathway in the liver that creates acetone, and therefore a metabolic pathway in the liver to break down acetone. There's no metabolic pathway for your turbocancer resins.

Given that acetone fumes can irritate the air passages, cause acetone poisoning if too much is ingested, and produce symptoms ranging from nausea to an actual coma, I'm going to err on the side of caution and say that just because it's not rated as a carcinogen and that the body produces a certain amount of it naturally, doesn't make it any safer to breathe in.

Also, as I have repeatedly stated, resin can be very dangerous if handled improperly, and should be used with caution and the proper PPE, ventilation, etc. Just like acetone.

Sydney Bottocks fucked around with this message at 00:48 on May 24, 2022

insta
Jan 28, 2009
I'm going to continue to invent poo poo because I can't print at 50 micron layers reliably.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

insta posted:

I'm going to continue to invent poo poo because I can't print at 50 micron layers reliably.

Invent what, the stuff I mentioned above that I found on several different government and medical websites by doing a cursory google search? That what you mean?

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
There is no legitimate use case for acetone in an FDM process and anybody that recommends using it for any reason to post-process FDM prints is at minimum an idiot and at most maliciously evil.

Those stupid loving vapor smoothing projects people post are ludicrously unsafe for reasons ranging from harmful inhalation to combustion unless you have the industrial background to know how to safely do it, and following some bullshit walkthrough on hackaday or Reddit doesn't count.

Having said that, the blithe attitude people use when talking about casual handling and processing of resin prints is even worse.

Where the gently caress do some of you live where just throwing your waste alcohol/resin bins outside isn't having a lovely neighbor call the local EPA on you? Because that is literally a health and safety violation in any city that gives a poo poo about industrial waste spills (and anything more than a gallon is considered a spill, and anything more than 5 gallons a major spill).

I guess if you live in Flint, Michigan it's all good?

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

There is no legitimate use case for acetone in an FDM process and anybody that recommends using it for any reason to post-process FDM prints is at minimum an idiot and at most maliciously evil.

Those stupid loving vapor smoothing projects people post are ludicrously unsafe for reasons ranging from harmful inhalation to combustion unless you have the industrial background to know how to safely do it, and following some bullshit walkthrough on hackaday or Reddit doesn't count.

Having said that, the blithe attitude people use when talking about casual handling and processing of resin prints is even worse.

Where the gently caress do some of you live where just throwing your waste alcohol/resin bins outside isn't having a lovely neighbor call the local EPA on you? Because that is literally a health and safety violation in any city that gives a poo poo about industrial waste spills (and anything more than a gallon is considered a spill, and anything more than 5 gallons a major spill).

I guess if you live in Flint, Michigan it's all good?

Ideally, people should contact their local waste disposal agency and find out what to do to properly dispose of hazardous chemicals, like IPA that's contaminated with waste resin.

My guess is that most people treat it like when other people manually change the oil in their car on their own, and just dump it in the trash in the dead of night.

CH Science
Sep 11, 2019

Flexible magnetic build plate that I ordered weeks ago finally showed up. Ho boy this is such a huge upgrade over the glass one. Wondering how long it’ll be before I have to start hairspraying it but so far so good with the first couple prints.

Unrelated question: that stupid silicone sock that goes over the hot end keeps falling off. Is it …bad to run it without? Seems to be printing fine and keeping consistent nozzle temps regardless of whether I bother shoving it back on there or not.

insta
Jan 28, 2009

Sydney Bottocks posted:

Invent what, the stuff I mentioned above that I found on several different government and medical websites by doing a cursory google search? That what you mean?

I said me, not you.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

insta posted:

I said me, not you.

Ah gotcha, in that case my apologies for misreading your post, it was a rough day at work today. :sweatdrop:

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Knock it down a bit, eh?

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

CH Science posted:

Flexible magnetic build plate that I ordered weeks ago finally showed up. Ho boy this is such a huge upgrade over the glass one. Wondering how long it’ll be before I have to start hairspraying it but so far so good with the first couple prints.

Unrelated question: that stupid silicone sock that goes over the hot end keeps falling off. Is it …bad to run it without? Seems to be printing fine and keeping consistent nozzle temps regardless of whether I bother shoving it back on there or not.

A sock can save your life in the case of a serious serious serious jam where filament.... consumes your entire hotend

Ask me how I know this (hint: I've done it three times, and had a sock for the third)

But in general it's not necessary, and it it's falling off, it's probably not actually on the hotend correctly

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
I just got a bunch of cheap replacement heater blocks after the first time I managed to entomb my hotend. The sock didn't help much anyway.

e:and thermistors, it's not worth trying to save them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Sydney Bottocks posted:

My guess is that most people... just dump it in the trash in the dead of night.

People that do that are definitely assholes. It isn't even that hard to do, literally every Autozone and Advance Auto store (and probably O Reilly's and Pep Boys as well as any other dedicated auto parts store that sells oil) will take your used oil for recycling.

All you have to do is dump the old oil from the drain pan you used while changing the oil back into the new oil container after you've poured the new oil into your car, then give those containers to any of those stores for recycling.

If there is no local procedure for disposing of your hobby waste materials, that should give you pause over how much waste you generate in a hobby, not make you say "gently caress it, I'll just set it outside and let it become the rest of the world's problem".

ImplicitAssembler posted:

Knock it down a bit, eh?

I'll tone it down when people stop making "aw, it's not that big a deal" posts about poo poo that will literally permanently harm people if they don't know exactly what they are doing.