Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Anyways, op, don't listen to any of these freaks. They're extremely mentally ill and are horrible teachers.

Take the beginner photography class to learn all the essentials like shutter speed and aperture and all that good stuff.

Take the travel photography class if you feel confident in working on photo style while still learning basics.

The basic difference between film and digital is digital has a whole universe of convenience built in but that doesn't make it necessarily better and you may find you love working with film, which is my personal preference.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

The Anime Liker posted:

Anyways, op, don't listen to any of these freaks. They're extremely mentally ill and are horrible teachers.

Take the beginner photography class to learn all the essentials like shutter speed and aperture and all that good stuff.

Take the travel photography class if you feel confident in working on photo style while still learning basics.

The basic difference between film and digital is digital has a whole universe of convenience built in but that doesn't make it necessarily better and you may find you love working with film, which is my personal preference.

Thank you.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

The Anime Liker posted:

The question was why do people still shoot film, not should I shoot film. People weren't saying that they should but giving reasons why they do.

I shoot film because it gets the results I want. I don't hum and haw and not know what I'm getting out of a scene because like with anything it's a skill you can learn if you put your mind to it. I pair specific films with specific developers and development techniques to get what I want out of it. I print in a darkroom because I love the tangible connection to my art and the results it produces. I shoot and project slide at home for myself and my friends because nothing else looks as good as projected slide, and you can't replicate that experiance digitally.

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

The Anime Liker posted:

Yeah the guy I was answering who's interested in a beginner's photography class is definitely an expert experienced photographer.

the argument i was addressing was not about the op but your dumb rear end opinion

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

anyway, this you?

The Anime Liker posted:

Photography basics:

- Aperture wide open. Never don't have the aperture wide open. Adjust white balance and ISO and shutter speed around the fact your aperture is as wide as possible.

- for the classic white background have the subject halfway between the distance from the backdrop and camera

- Use construction paper to eliminate unwanted reflections in shiny objects (like, say, black paper if you're shooting something glossy and black.

Styling basics for when you're not just doing the blank void:

- Buy a cheap picture frame and take the glass out of it. Put the subject on the glass. Use different colors of construction paper under the glass for color mirror effects.

- Buy a cheap LED light that either changes colors or has color filters

- Props! A bottle of your hobo kitchen brew wine will look good, but imagine if next to the bottle there were some grapes and there were, like, leaves or some poo poo under it. There are few product photos that can't be improved with some prop that implies a quality of the product. Work boots? Piece of rebar. Ketchup bottle? Deep red tomato. Anything artsy? Paintbrush with dried nail polish as "paint" on the tip. You get the idea.

In general there's a ton of YouTube videos for product photography that will cover the very basic stuff in detail, as it's the ideal type of photography where you can spend all day staging one shot. Digging through my own watch history, Peter McKinnon came up a lot, and he does a lot of really swanky tricks to get great shots using some cheap tools.

But this video above all others helped me with getting those dramatic, moody shots I love: https://youtu.be/BeLWiFkOVhI

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

bobmarleysghost posted:

anyway, this you?

Yeah. That's solid advice for beginners. What don't you get about the difference between "hey you're new to this, do this first" versus "oh you've been doing this 70 years and literally wrote the book on it"?

It's almost like you're mentally ill and a bad teacher so no one should listen to you.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

and what about this, is this also you?

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

The Anime Liker posted:

Yeah. That's solid advice for beginners. What don't you get about the difference between "hey you're new to this, do this first" versus "oh you've been doing this 70 years and literally wrote the book on it"?

It's almost like you're mentally ill and a bad teacher so no one should listen to you.

Aperture wide open is horrible advice. It's the worst. It goes against literally everything. It's saying "You know the major control you have over DOF? Yeah, don't use that"

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

it's almost like they're a terrible photographer and a bad teacher so no one should listen to them.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Megabound posted:

Aperture wide open is horrible advice. It's the worst. It goes against literally everything. It's saying "You know the major control you have over DOF? Yeah, don't use that"

That famous depth of field for getting blank white backgrounds used in product shots.

LMAO

bobmarleysghost posted:

it's almost like they're a terrible photographer and a bad teacher so no one should listen to them.

You're right. You really want background details in a shot where you specifically don't want background details. You nailed it.

The Anime Liker fucked around with this message at 22:55 on May 23, 2022

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

stopping down is for pussies, f/1.4 or gently caress you

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Here's my advice for beginners: Get your digital camera, put it in aperture priority and go outside and take photos. Mess with the aperture a bit and let the camera correct your exposure settings, it'll do a good job for you. Look at your photos and see how they changed when you changed your aperture.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

The Anime Liker posted:

That famous depth of field for getting blank white backgrounds used in product shots.

LMAO

You know that if you're isolating a subject you're probably pretty close to it right, and the closer you need to focus the thinner you DOF is for any given aperture so you will probably need to stop down to get your product in focus completely instead of being at 1m distance f/1.8 and getting less than 10cm of workable depth. Never mind that your lens is going to be noticeably softer at wide open rather than even stopping down 1 or 2 clicks.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Megabound posted:

You know that if you're isolating a subject you're probably pretty close to it right, and the closer you need to focus the thinner you DOF is for any given aperture so you will probably need to stop down to get your product in focus completely instead of being at 1m distance f/1.8 and getting less than 10cm of workable depth. Never mind that your lens is going to be noticeably softer at wide open rather than even stopping down 1 or 2 clicks.

Which would mean something if the op for that question was asking about using a lens that went that wide.

But they weren't.

op posted:

I have a light box and my Nikon's kit lens hit the "30-40mm" lens requirement I've seen suggested.

Seriously. If "this guy isn't overly technical with beginners asking day 1 questions, what an rear end in a top hat" is your problem, then why does thread exist?

The Anime Liker fucked around with this message at 23:06 on May 23, 2022

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

No, you're right, if I'm using a 55mm at f/5.6 and getting a liquor bottle in focus I'm going to have to like, 50cm away from my subject max and that's going to give me a nice wide DOF of 1.6cm. More than enough for anyone IMO.

e: No one's mad you for being overly simplistic, they're mad at you for giving bad advice and labelling half of the users in this subform freaks and bad teachers because they shoot different to you.

Megabound fucked around with this message at 00:27 on May 24, 2022

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Well to be fair, everyone in here actually is a freak and a bad teacher.

But some haven't accepted their freakishness or badness.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I only shoot in box truck wet plate format. You are all wrong.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6c7RT7BsIbc

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

beginner photography, and in fact, all photography, is based on taking product photos on a white background.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

The Anime Liker posted:

i have done literally nothing you advise in that post and am better for it

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

bellows lugosi posted:

beginner photography, and in fact, all photography, is based on taking product photos on a white background.

The question: I have a lightbox and a Nikon with a kit lens with a maximum aperture of 5.6, what settings for product photography?

Me: Set it to maximum aperture (5.6) imo

Extremely illiterate goons: "OMG I can't believe you told him to set the aperture to 1.4 (I didn't read the post) on his wide angle f/1.4 lens (I didn't read the post) and to lose the beautiful background details of the ornate background you want to preserve (I definitely didn't read the post). After all it's not like you're doing product photography (I very much will continue to not read the post)."

So, like I said, only listen to me. Everyone else itt is extremely mentally ill and very bad teachers.

The Anime Liker fucked around with this message at 03:16 on May 24, 2022

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

quote:

There are few product photos that can't be improved with some prop that implies a quality of the product. Work boots? Piece of rebar. Ketchup bottle? Deep red tomato. Anything artsy? Paintbrush with dried nail polish as "paint" on the tip. You get the idea.

This is a painfully dull and uninspired list of prop pairings, you'd see it in some How To Use Your Nikon D70 For Dummies book.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

The Anime Liker posted:

The question: I have a lightbox and a Nikon with a kit lens with a maximum aperture of 5.6, what settings for product photography?

Extremely illiterate goons: "OMG I can't believe you told him to set the aperture to 1.4 (I didn't read the post) on his wide angle f/1.4 lens (I didn't read the post) and to lose the beautiful background details of the ornate background you want to preserve (I definitely didn't read the post). After all it's not like you're doing product photography."

Again, only listen to me. Everyone else itt is extremely mentally ill and very bad teachers.

Use a DOF calculator. Find out what DOF that aperture gets you at a reasonable working distance then come back and tell me you're still right.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

The Anime Liker posted:

hmm. curious. i can tell you’re an educator

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

only vinyl wearing hipsters would spend their time “reading” posts. photographers spend their time poo poo posting and taking pictures of dead cats

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
Hmm, maybe I should use that DoF calculator. I've been setting the aperture mostly based on feel and it would be great to have some science to back my decisions up.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Lily Catts posted:

Hmm, maybe I should use that DoF calculator. I've been setting the aperture mostly based on feel and it would be great to have some science to back my decisions up.

If your camera had the ability then using the aperture preview to take a look at your scene is what I do when I'm not shooting landscapes at hyperfocal.

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

i like f/11

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Megabound posted:

Use a DOF calculator. Find out what DOF that aperture gets you at a reasonable working distance then come back and tell me you're still right.

Show me what you think a kit lens and a lightbox are, because quick mental math tells me about 2.5-3 feet to get a white void backdrop which is exactly the precise point of those little popup lightboxes.

Like this is the entire point of their existence:

You get that photo out of a kit lens with a lightbox using the exact settings I recommended. Which are the exact ones the professional full time guys use. Which is why I also linked the video saying the same thing.

So once again, literally only listen to me. I know how to read posts and give correct answers. Nominally the point of this thread.

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

that's an okay number.

f3.5, now that's something you can feast your eyes on

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?
lol

Lily Catts posted:

some cameras have this built into them, it might be buried in the menus though and you'll have to activate it. it usually displays as a line with distances on it and two or three little arrows/triangles showing where the focal plane is

I think the only time I really used a DoF calculator is for industrial or lab setups where I'm using some odd setups

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
f/0.9 on the widest fish eye ever or nothing

All my photos look like 90s rap videos

I'm sorry you hired me for your wedding no refunds

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

The commercial photo studio I used to work at ages ago shot at F11 constantly. I am unsure why they did it other than to make the DOF as wide as possible. The cameras were kit lenses on 20Ds. All of the shots were soft focused and I hated it. The company went under a few months after I quit. I picked up some pretty useful business model stuff that I still use today so I can't say it wasn't a complete waste of time.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

f/8 and be there but actually f/11 because I don't trust my AF.

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

if you buy a 21mm lens and shoot at f/11 you don't even need to focus any more

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

The Anime Liker posted:

Show me what you think a kit lens and a lightbox are, because quick mental math tells me about 2.5-3 feet to get a white void backdrop which is exactly the precise point of those little popup lightboxes.

Like this is the entire point of their existence:

You get that photo out of a kit lens with a lightbox using the exact settings I recommended. Which are the exact ones the professional full time guys use. Which is why I also linked the video saying the same thing.

So once again, literally only listen to me. I know how to read posts and give correct answers. Nominally the point of this thread.

You're telling me you're getting a photo that close of a small object using a 55mm lens at 3 feet? That is insane. You are insane.

That's a 6cm DOF, 2 inches.

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?
just crop it down

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

just mask out the product then slam the exposure slider to +100 bam white out background

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Megabound posted:

You're telling me you're getting a photo that close of a small object using a 55mm lens at 3 feet? That is insane. You are insane.

I literally do exactly that every Saturday usually from noon to 10 and tinker in Lightroom on Sunday for delivery Monday. Yes.

Although I switch between a Sigma 30 and a Sony 50 and my "lightbox" is a huge roll of whitepoint paper just draped on a table, but exact same principle.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Please post one of your own photos taken using this technique instead of photos you've taken of Amazon and say use that technique TIA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Megabound posted:

Please post one of your own photos taken using this technique instead of photos you've taken of Amazon and say use that technique TIA.

No sweat. I'll pull one when I get home.

Because you don't have to stand 50 feet away with a telephoto lens to shoot a small object in a 16"x16" lightbox or whatever madness you've concocted.