Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

There are really lovely trackpads out there that will violate your intuition of what should count as a click over and over again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
My laptop's stupid trackpad has actual buttons under that click, like a mouse would. But the problem is, when I go to click it, my finger is still on the track pad, and that little bit of pressure I put to make it click often causes the cursor to nudge away by like two pixels so I end up clicking somewhere I don't intend to. It's a minor thing, but such a consistent problem that I just don't use the loving thing anymore.

Edit to ask a question: When people are listing their pronouns, I'm seeing more and more people adding a possessive. Like, he/him/his, she/her/hers, they/them/theirs. I know some people mix singular/plural pronouns sometimes (she as the subjective pronoun and them for the objective, say) but -- gosh I want to ask a really ignorant sounding question, but I guess that's what this thread is for: do people use a different sort of pronoun for the possessive form? Does anyone go by she/her/his? I guess they could, and that would make sense why people include this, but I've just never seen it.

I also couldn't for the life of me figure out a way to Google this question to just get a sample of how people are using it.

credburn fucked around with this message at 00:32 on May 24, 2022

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

credburn posted:

My laptop's stupid trackpad has actual buttons under that click, like a mouse would. But the problem is, when I go to click it, my finger is still on the track pad, and that little bit of pressure I put to make it click often causes the cursor to nudge away by like two pixels so I end up clicking somewhere I don't intend to. It's a minor thing, but such a consistent problem that I just don't use the loving thing anymore.

Edit to ask a question: When people are listing their pronouns, I'm seeing more and more people adding a possessive. Like, he/him/his, she/her/hers, they/them/theirs. I know some people mix singular/plural pronouns sometimes (she as the subjective pronoun and them for the objective, say) but -- gosh I want to ask a really ignorant sounding question, but I guess that's what this thread is for: do people use a different sort of pronoun for the possessive form? Does anyone go by she/her/his? I guess they could, and that would make sense why people include this, but I've just never seen it.

I also couldn't for the life of me figure out a way to Google this question to just get a sample of how people are using it.

I would have thought this would do it, if you want to see if anyone uses that form (and it doesn't look like it)

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out
I think people who use all three cases for their pronouns might know other people with less well-known pronouns or self-created pronouns, so they might be trying to normalize spelling that out? Like, I know that the possessive of “he” is almost always “his”, but I might not know that the possessive of “xe” is (commonly “hir”, apparently, which I couldn’t figure from “xe/xem” alone).

Trapick
Apr 17, 2006

credburn posted:

I know some people mix singular/plural pronouns sometimes (she as the subjective pronoun and them for the objective, say)
I had thought that when folks say or write "she/they" or "he/them" or something it's to indicate that others should use either or both for all cases, rather than specific ones for objective/subjective, is that not the case?

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club

Trapick posted:

I had thought that when folks say or write "she/they" or "he/them" or something it's to indicate that others should use either or both for all cases, rather than specific ones for objective/subjective, is that not the case?

Yes, I don't know why I thought differently, I know this. You're right.

I mean, I'm still confused about the possessive thing, but yeah I don't think people are so meticulous that they worry that much about objective/subjective differentiation.

AlbieQuirky posted:

I think people who use all three cases for their pronouns might know other people with less well-known pronouns or self-created pronouns, so they might be trying to normalize spelling that out? Like, I know that the possessive of “he” is almost always “his”, but I might not know that the possessive of “xe” is (commonly “hir”, apparently, which I couldn’t figure from “xe/xem” alone).

This makes a lot of sense to me.

Hyperlynx posted:

I would have thought this would do it, if you want to see if anyone uses that form (and it doesn't look like it)

That did lead me to https://nonbinary.miraheze.org/wiki/English_neutral_pronouns which seems like exactly the kind of resource I was searching for.

credburn fucked around with this message at 03:09 on May 24, 2022

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Trapick posted:

No, you're right.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

edit: nm

actionjackson fucked around with this message at 17:31 on May 24, 2022

Ironhead
Jan 19, 2005

Ironhead. Mmm.

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

I just don't want to be in a position in the future where whatever solution I used is now a nasty, sticky mess. So basically, if it relies on adhesive, that adhesive should cure hard. It's OK if it wears away with use, so long as it wears away "clean" (not leaving an unpleasant residue).

Gaff tape is like a cloth based duct tape that is designed not to leave a residue. It's incredibly strong, and cleans off easily. You can get it in thinner rolls marketed as spike tape, but it is literally the same thing but skinnier. It can be kind of expensive, we spend thousands on it in a year, but if you have anyone in your life that works in TV/Film/Theater/Concerts etc then they surely have a few rolls in their truck, or house, or bag, or stuck to them right now. We use Pro-Gaff most of the time.

Everyone should have a roll of gaff in their life. It's better than duct tape in every way, except maybe for sealing air ducts.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

I've heard that duct tape isn't actually good for sealing ducts. Hearsay and all so I'm sure someone can confirm, but it's apparently all a lie!

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I’ve only ever seen foil tape used to seal up ducts.

Ironhead
Jan 19, 2005

Ironhead. Mmm.

Haha yeah, duct tape isn't actually used on ducts anymore. I've seen it on systems in older buildings I've worked on, but it always got replaced with foil tape or a mastic.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Hello thread. I have a weird request and I don't know where else to ask, so if there's a better thread or sub forum to ask then please direct me there

I'm looking for YouTube channels of historical documentaries with a specific style. I'm looking for older style documentary films in that older BBC-esque style, with slow pans across still images and a narrator with an even tone of voice, maybe intercut with interviews of experts or even old film. this is mostly for nostalgia purposes, because I find them very comfy. most history docs I've found online on my own seems to be in that newer 90s-aughts style with ~production value~, e.g. reenactments, overuse of music, and narrators WHO stress EVERY other WORD. not really soothing to listen to or watch imo.

there's a channel called "the film archive" that has stuff like this but also a lot of other miscellaneous content. I'd really like to find a channel that's dedicated to this very specific style of documentary. podcast recommendations are also welcome but I'd really like to find video docs specifically.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

kalel posted:

Hello thread. I have a weird request and I don't know where else to ask, so if there's a better thread or sub forum to ask then please direct me there

I'm looking for YouTube channels of historical documentaries with a specific style. I'm looking for older style documentary films in that older BBC-esque style, with slow pans across still images and a narrator with an even tone of voice, maybe intercut with interviews of experts or even old film. this is mostly for nostalgia purposes, because I find them very comfy. most history docs I've found online on my own seems to be in that newer 90s-aughts style with ~production value~, e.g. reenactments, overuse of music, and narrators WHO stress EVERY other WORD. not really soothing to listen to or watch imo.

there's a channel called "the film archive" that has stuff like this but also a lot of other miscellaneous content. I'd really like to find a channel that's dedicated to this very specific style of documentary. podcast recommendations are also welcome but I'd really like to find video docs specifically.

Sounds like Ken Burns style docs. Have you run through all his stuff?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
While helping my mother sort through decades' worth of accumulated junk, we found this thing, an Eico 3070 solid-state amplifier:

Is it worth trying to clean up and sell this? I can see similar devices on eBay listing for hundreds of dollars, but I have no idea if they're getting any takers, let alone how much work it is to e.g. verify the thing works properly.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Yeah you’ll probably get some money for it if you at least blow the dust out and confirm it turns on. Old audio equipment is a hot commodity in the analogue audiophile world.

I’d you don’t want to trouble yourself with it, bring it into your local record shop and see what they’ll offer you for it. It’ll be less than you’d get in eBay, but you’ll get rid of it more quickly.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Someone one the vintage stereo thread will know if it's particularly desirable. But it looks compact, with a good set of features for someone setting up a turntable.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Ironhead posted:

Gaff tape is like a cloth based duct tape that is designed not to leave a residue. It's incredibly strong, and cleans off easily. You can get it in thinner rolls marketed as spike tape, but it is literally the same thing but skinnier. It can be kind of expensive, we spend thousands on it in a year, but if you have anyone in your life that works in TV/Film/Theater/Concerts etc then they surely have a few rolls in their truck, or house, or bag, or stuck to them right now. We use Pro-Gaff most of the time.

Everyone should have a roll of gaff in their life. It's better than duct tape in every way, except maybe for sealing air ducts.

Gaff tape will absolutely leave a sticky residue if you leave it for a long time. It's meant to be used for just a couple of days at a time; it'll hold for much longer, and I don't know what the timing is for how long is good for without the residue, but I do know that removing it months or years later, it definitely leaves a residue.

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES
I've got a little spreadsheet I made up that measures my shifts at work, so I know how many hours I do a week or month. However I get a higher rate of pay if I go over 41 hours a week, whats the easiest way to have a spreadsheet calculate my pay for that, so like the first 40 hours could be $10 and hours after that could be $15 how do I put a formula in that says for input of 30 it's $300 out but for 60 hours it's $700.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Sounds like Ken Burns style docs. Have you run through all his stuff?

I guess that's what I was thinking of, it looks like a lot of his stuff is paid though. hopefully I can find a channel that apes his style and is free

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

kalel posted:

I guess that's what I was thinking of, it looks like a lot of his stuff is paid though. hopefully I can find a channel that apes his style and is free

Incidentally, the technique of the camera panning over still photos that you mentioned is known as the Ken Burns Effect

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ken_Burns_effect

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Crankit posted:

I've got a little spreadsheet I made up that measures my shifts at work, so I know how many hours I do a week or month. However I get a higher rate of pay if I go over 41 hours a week, whats the easiest way to have a spreadsheet calculate my pay for that, so like the first 40 hours could be $10 and hours after that could be $15 how do I put a formula in that says for input of 30 it's $300 out but for 60 hours it's $700.

func():

if hours worked ≤ 40, return pay rate * hours worked

if hours worked > 40, return pay rate * 40 + overtime rate * (hours worked - 40)

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Crankit posted:

Easiest way to do this in a spreadsheet formula is something like this:
=MIN(X, 40) * 10 + MAX(X - 40, 0) * 15

So if X is less than 40 that will produce X * 10, if X is more than 40 that will produce 40 * 10 + (X-40) * 15.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

kedo posted:

Yeah you’ll probably get some money for it if you at least blow the dust out and confirm it turns on. Old audio equipment is a hot commodity in the analogue audiophile world.

I’d you don’t want to trouble yourself with it, bring it into your local record shop and see what they’ll offer you for it. It’ll be less than you’d get in eBay, but you’ll get rid of it more quickly.

Thanks for the advice!

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
What's a good lesser demon to summon for your first time?

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Boba Pearl posted:

Most beginning demon summoners seem to start with Pixie, in my experience.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Boba Pearl posted:

Titivillus, the demon in charge of typographical errors.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
Just lay out a bunch of chocolates and candles and get right to summoning the succubus, we all know why you're here

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

Just lay out a bunch of chocolates and candles and get right to summoning the succubus, we all know why you're here

Ok you got me, but which song should I play?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HsAnEP31N1Y

or

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sBcOSYV-xio

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

tramp stamps are an industry plant made out of a bunch of rich straight white girls doing whatever they think the kids these days think is punk

this is from before they deleted their tumblr

so uh go with the other one

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
If Margaret Thatcher isn’t punk, how come so many punk bands mentioned her in their songs hmm

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
Goddamnit, now the Succubus thinks I'm a lib, this is bullshit.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Going to need to rule out straight Black record producers too, then. And Batman.

Goon Boots
Feb 2, 2020

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

tramp stamps are an industry plant made out of a bunch of rich straight white girls doing whatever they think the kids these days think is punk

this is from before they deleted their tumblr

so uh go with the other one

lol, what kind of person is going around asking punk bands if they like thatcher

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Goon Boots posted:

lol, what kind of person is going around asking punk bands if they like thatcher

This was after tumblr caught on that they were industry plants and shortly before they got trolled off the website.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Boba Pearl posted:

I did pazuzu and im so sorry

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

When applying for jobs, what are you supposed to put down for professional references if the company you previously worked for went out of business and no longer exists? The place I'm applying to says a former colleague won't do, a freelance client won't do, and the places I worked before that are either also out of business or from long enough ago that no one working there now will have any idea who I am.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Tiggum posted:

When applying for jobs, what are you supposed to put down for professional references if the company you previously worked for went out of business and no longer exists? The place I'm applying to says a former colleague won't do, a freelance client won't do, and the places I worked before that are either also out of business or from long enough ago that no one working there now will have any idea who I am.

In this market you're supposed to put down "lol sorry I just got an offer somewhere that didn't waste my time!"

Ironhead
Jan 19, 2005

Ironhead. Mmm.

Ham Equity posted:

Gaff tape will absolutely leave a sticky residue if you leave it for a long time. It's meant to be used for just a couple of days at a time; it'll hold for much longer, and I don't know what the timing is for how long is good for without the residue, but I do know that removing it months or years later, it definitely leaves a residue.

I uh, don't know what kind of gaff you're buying, or where you're using it, but it has to sit on something a long time before it becomes an issue. In a (relatively) climate controlled setting, I've regularly left gaff on things for ~6 months without an issue. I've pulled years-old gaff off stuff out in the shop without too much of an issue. And that's a shop without climate control in Texas. It tends to become sort of brittle and peel off. If it does leave a residue you get the props guys to come clean it off with some isopropyl alcohol.

Source: I've been in the industry since I was a teenager, and have had a card with IATSE for over a decade.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos

Goon Boots posted:

tumblr rules now, im sorry you had to learn this way.