Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

Calibanibal posted:

Man and I thought inflation in Germany was bad. 50 dollars for a cucumber?

bout fitty cents

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

I too “clearly do not keep my candle under a stable”

Biblical reference. The equivalent English is to keep one's candle under a bushel (basket of grain).

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

https://twitter.com/John_A_Ridge/status/1528907779754315776?s=20&t=3_mCIFe8ly0lpe7qNaXKqQ

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Calibanibal posted:

Does this look like a Bad Dragon thread?

Shes Not Impressed
Apr 25, 2004

Calibanibal posted:

My poor teacher's meal of крумпли фрі and пиво is suffering.

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

Calibanibal posted:

What could it possibly cost, Michaelibanibal?

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

I'm down to my last minerals and all I can afford is a conscript tank brigade. Even though my enemy is gold 3 veterans I think we can still make this happen

Wildeyes
Nov 3, 2011

I'll be happy to share this with the "Ukraine is the puppet of the US/West/NATO and is being forced to fight their proxy war" crowd.

Orthanc6
Nov 4, 2009

Wildeyes posted:

I'll be happy to share this with the "Ukraine is the puppet of the US/West/NATO and is being forced to fight their proxy war" crowd.

"The CIA convinced Ukraine to fight to the death for the US Empire despite explicit messaging from all NATO leaders that not a single NATO soldier would help them ever"

Occam's razor should be taught and tested for in every school. People get impressively dumb twisting their brain in loops trying to make the facts fit their constructed world views.

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

Hmmm
https://twitter.com/Osinttechnical/status/1529209009588281349?t=cm9rVrmHZN461JCW60SXrA&s=19
https://twitter.com/Osinttechnical/status/1529209209358897154?t=rPK7bD1GKq5-qO8-AlD3Dw&s=19

Translation of the first video
https://twitter.com/mdmitri91/status/1529247447230427137?t=wSgr7huVcD3Yo7C-HKHg0g&s=19
Also translations from a livestream hosted by a Ukr presidential advisor and a (former?) Russian opposition politician. Not much detail about what the Ukrainians are doing but more info about the Eastern front
https://twitter.com/mdmitri91/status/1529201871113551883?t=9Mayx7LQx7R9dTIvG_FJRA&s=19
Excerpts
https://twitter.com/mdmitri91/status/1529201880051621889?t=Ok1kL85igq7DA80jjAJz9w&s=19
https://twitter.com/mdmitri91/status/1529201889002283010?t=9NZaKeOvozyrWS2KINM_LA&s=19
https://twitter.com/mdmitri91/status/1529201900247187461?t=CXB9je7cTy2fwEAOihoj1w&s=19

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

Orthanc6 posted:

"The CIA convinced Ukraine to fight to the death for the US Empire despite explicit messaging from all NATO leaders that not a single NATO soldier would help them ever"

Occam's razor should be taught and tested for in every school. People get impressively dumb twisting their brain in loops trying to make the facts fit their constructed world views.

tbf the argument isn't that the west is convincing ukraine to fight, it's that its enabling it to fight. Which is actually more disgusting as it basically supposes that ukraine should just be killed easily by Russia and resisting that is actually worse than doing it.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

It is truly glorious to see the breakaway republics unable to work with each other. I mean it's just so ironic that Russia's hitch is literally creating the idea of Independence in these dumbasses. They are literally Soviet libertarians running their own little fiefdoms, so it's similar to trying to get a bunch of nobles to do anything together.

I'm not sure of the comparable world War 2 country to this, but I'm sure there is one. Actually the IJA/IJN constant infighting and refusal to assist one another is a somewhat comparable situation on a much bigger scale.

--

Ukraine needs to find the trains. That is utterly tantamount to the entire War effort. They must find the trucks driving the artillery to the front and in doing so they can stifle future offensives far greater. Russia at this point is just blowing towns to into untenable defensive positions. They're not winning in an infantry on infantry battle or tank vs tank battle. They're just screening artillery forward march. It's boring and only works if you are well supplied. The highmars are going to be greatly effective, but Ukraine really needs some Cruise missiles and JDAMS, maybe some B-2s and C130s as preferred supply.

--

You know when I say artillery screen killing everybody in Mass death is boring I don't mean it's boring because I don't give a poo poo about the lives. I care about the lives and I'd prefer if Russia wasn't an imperial War machine so I could visit the Russian north and hang with cool babushkas. What I mean by boring is this isn't the glorious War that's going to reestablish an empire. Even if they take you crane, there's still going to be seen as the fascist gang that they've always been. You know you really need infantry locking in and tanks screaming across north Africa to get that sort of empire-worthy propaganda.eg the British/American propaganda campaigns which are still happening to this day with 24/7 WW2 HISTORY/footage/movies playing on TV. Like Russia's just done another grozny on a slightly bigger scale. It's the same rule book the same play style the same old tired a truck blew up and we must invade the country propaganda.

You think they would have come up with something a little cooler.

It's a built on a gigantic poo poo house. That's my premise. This entire Invasion, ~~~the return to the Russian empire~~~it's all so subcontracted and so corrupt it's loving lazy. And let me preface this I'm not saying they're not being fascist enough, it's a larger idea than that. It's more that capitalism is so self-consuming that it'll never win the imperial game. Because to be so capitalistic that you can invade another country, you must also be extremely corrupted mentally and as a whole (the whole being country). Now somebody's going to snarf and go what about the US. The US had no intention of colonizing Iraq or Afghanistan or vietnam in the way that Russia plans to do to Ukraine. Yes we did a lot of colonizing and we extracted a shitload of oil out of Iraq, and still do but that's not the same as this.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO fucked around with this message at 01:36 on May 25, 2022

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
The DPR/LPR militias have both presumably been serving as especially disposable cannon fodder, so I suspect they've all been looking for the exit pretty nearly from day one.

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

Maps
https://twitter.com/War_Mapper/status/1529250940175503361?t=s2jOqMhn9ZuYYVAu2B1koQ&s=19
https://twitter.com/War_Mapper/status/1529250963839766528?t=qDJ0uC73f2PBgDznmr_EnA&s=19
And now that I've posted this ISW will come out with their update in the next 5 minutes :rolleyes:

Edit: long thread analyzing the Ukrainian situation with an eye to local topography. I don't know this account so grains of salt but nothing looks outrageous
https://twitter.com/J_JHelin/status/1529191308824399872?t=Qufv5PrA2dIJPg0mhu3DmQ&s=19
https://twitter.com/J_JHelin/status/1529191326578888704?t=eUvkmhlLmrzKHn6CUaudrQ&s=19
https://twitter.com/J_JHelin/status/1529191343536361472?t=vtw07KnQRaKxNJYx67CTgw&s=19

KitConstantine fucked around with this message at 01:24 on May 25, 2022

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Until "freeing" Mariupol I was practically with DNR guy.

Then, oh, poo poo... yeah stop being a rashist first please.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Oh man this is bullshit I thought we were going to stop at Poland now I'm starving to death in Stalingrad.

--

Oh and Hungary decided to become a dictatorship. That's great stuff, in 2122 we will still be relitigating the Third World War and how it could have all been avoided had we appeased Putin with Ukraine.

https://mobile.twitter.com/gdarkconrad/status/1529139466320941059

WAR CRIME GIGOLO fucked around with this message at 01:49 on May 25, 2022

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Coquito Ergo Sum posted:

I've been watching this unfold for a while. Everyone I see online is saying they'll be put in reserve or checkpoint roles, but everyone keeps saying that Russia wouldn't do <x> incompetent thing. If these go on the frontline, they're going to basically have what parts and ammo they're getting shipped with, and no refills.

T-62Ms aren't awful in theory, especially as reserve tanks. They have improved electronics (from the mid-80s, though), added armor (applique kits, whose usefulness is always debatable no matter what tank), a new engine (that soldiers may not have the knowledge/parts to service), and a host of other upgrades.

One of the problems is that there are a loooot of variants of the T-62 and I wouldn't put it past Russia to be throwing mix out there:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/T-62#Former_Soviet_Union

Granted, a lot of those listed are prototypes, limited runs, export models, funnies, or command tanks, but it's always one of those links I keep in my back pocket for proof of how fucky Russia's arsenal is when it comes to all of these variants of different tanks serving side-by-side with one another at the same time. Almost no other western world power does stuff like this. You don't see M1A2 Abrams serving alongside every variant of M1 and M60, with M551s and every weirdo ATGM or gun carrier we ever built as a default doctrine. Though I wouldn't mind seeing the WW3 movie where a unit is told that armored support is on the way and the Abrams the infantry are expecting have been replaced with a bunch of M103s

They are 60 year old tanks with 40 year old 'modernisations', whichever way you slice it they are obsolescent at best

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

NTRabbit posted:

They are 60 year old tanks with 40 year old 'modernisations', whichever way you slice it they are obsolescent at best

I'd say we should give Ukraine some A-10s but at this point some F4 Phantoms might do the trick.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

The fascists are raiding the USSRs war stock to continue their fascist war machine.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Pook Good Mook posted:

I'd say we should give Ukraine some A-10s but at this point some F4 Phantoms might do the trick.

The US used F4s as wild weasels during the first Gulf War. They could presumably carry ATGMs too. Those just don't have The Gun.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Blue Footed Booby posted:

The US used F4s as wild weasels during the first Gulf War. They could presumably carry ATGMs too. Those just don't have The Gun.

Sending all the a-10s could be a very bipartisan success story. Eliminate government waste and finally we get to watch the fulda gap uhh strategy play out

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
F-4s would be fitting because they ended service in the US as target drones for SAMs, radars, and air-to-air missiles.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Sending all the a-10s could be a very bipartisan success story. Eliminate government waste and finally we get to watch the fulda gap uhh strategy play out

I suggested a-10s be used much earlier in the thread and was heartily laughed at for how impractical it would be. Not sure what has changed if anything.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Have we had a confirmed T-34 war memorial casualty yet

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Have we had a confirmed T-34 war memorial casualty yet

That's the next batch of recruits rides. They're going to bring the marder out to breakout of izyum.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO fucked around with this message at 02:28 on May 25, 2022

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

A-10s fly very low and slow. They would last about 10 minutes before being shot down. They require air superiority to be useful.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

I suggested a-10s be used much earlier in the thread and was heartily laughed at for how impractical it would be. Not sure what has changed if anything.

It's still incredibly impractical.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007
Pretty much. A-10s are only useful when you already completely own the skies and also the enemy has no anti-air which makes them pretty much useless unless you want to bully someone you've already defeated.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

Kchama posted:

Pretty much. A-10s are only useful when you already completely own the skies and also the enemy has no anti-air which makes them pretty much useless unless you want to bully someone you've already defeated.

Well that and the fact that the pilots would need to be trained, and a logistics network would need to be set up for maintenance and parts. People keep saying "Let's give Ukraine XYZ weapon!" Like it's a car that you just turn the key and drive.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Charliegrs posted:

Well that and the fact that the pilots would need to be trained, and a logistics network would need to be set up for maintenance and parts. People keep saying "Let's give Ukraine XYZ weapon!" Like it's a car that you just turn the key and drive.

I want to give Ukraine the XYZ gun that gave Hugo Chavez cancer

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Another dawn is breaking in Kyiv, and it's still Ukrainian. :unsmith:

:ukraine:

Wildeyes
Nov 3, 2011

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I've seen some of them on Twitter use "liberate," and there is nothing more infuriating.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Deteriorata posted:

Another dawn is breaking in Kyiv, and it's still Ukrainian. :unsmith:

:ukraine:

Dawn breaks. 11 days remaining.

--
Russia has introduced the ruble into kherson, and cell service is back up on that side of the Front.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Bar Ran Dun posted:

Engine room will do it.

dining room was basically a distillery

Kchama posted:

also good for turning friendly fire incidents into war crimes

Sashimi posted:

Minus all their soft power too.

Russian millitary is soft power after all

Alan Smithee fucked around with this message at 03:15 on May 25, 2022

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin
There isn't any US Phantoms left. They were used for targets, testing and sunk for reefs. Germany supposedly have a stockpile and Japan just retired theirs which were probably the most advanced in the world outside of Turkey.

The Ukrainians are likely getting F-16s though. They have experience with them, there are tons of them easily transferable, they can perform all of the roles they need in the conflict and logistics/spare parts are not a huge issue with the multitudes of users in the region. Hell the F-16 Block 50/52 is the current Wild Weasel platform for the USAF.

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

Kchama posted:

The Su-25's Ukraine and Russia have been operating in the CAS role are basically the same thing, but less capable.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

FishBulbia posted:

looted food in sevastopol

Arguably cucumbers would not stay good for long if left in the field or a storage. You can't talk of looting in the same sense as with grain which stays good in silos for very long periods.

Rapulum_Dei
Sep 7, 2009

Ah, ‘no u’ economics. Masterstroke

:chord:

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Rapulum_Dei posted:

Ah, ‘no u’ economics. Masterstroke

:chord:

I'm not an economist but it seems kind of overblown that it would affect Russia's credit in the long run (assuming this war ever ends), since the reason creditors aren't getting repaid is because the US won't let them get repaid rather than that Russia cannot or will not repay them.

Of course no one is going to give Russia new credit now, but they don't really need credit with their massive surplus. It's not like Lebanon where you know any money you lend them within the next 10 years is just going to get tossed in a fire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
I'm not sure large international creditors care to distinguish between such fine details as 'debtor has no money to repay loan with' and 'debtor knowingly pissed off everyone who could facilitate repaying the loan', and wouldn't treat both with equal gravity when it comes to estimating whether future loans will be repaid.