Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Danhenge
Dec 16, 2005

actionjackson posted:

they dropped it off and will pick it up later, but like, yeah for that much money i'm not doing that, i'm hiring you

also this person asked if i wanted to come by and see the sample in their office, it's like... it's going to be in my kitchen. i need to see it in my kitchen :dafuq:

I mean, have you actually given them any money yet or they're hypothetically going to get money from you in the future?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Danhenge posted:

I mean, have you actually given them any money yet or they're hypothetically going to get money from you in the future?

no I've already paid, they've already made all the doors and drawers, they just need me to sign off on the custom paint color before they apply it

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I just made the final payment on a project that was ~$22k, payment was basically split in thirds and nothing was upfront. There was a bit of on-the-site solutioning because we're working with an old house, and some finish decisions made on the fly. I went to home depot once or twice, to help out with some things.

I don't know I never thought there was subordinate relationship simply because I was paying him. He was a really nice guy and I'm not an rear end in a top hat so it didn't really seem like a big deal.

Now saying you rather see a paint sample in your house under your lighting conditions is extremely valid and fair point.

EDIT: Also there was no way he was getting the final payment before final walkthrough.

The Dave fucked around with this message at 20:23 on May 25, 2022

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

I'm shocked they didn't ask for any money upfront, I've never heard of that

tile stuff was half upfront

for this company they did my bathroom so I already knew they did good work.

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

In California it's against the law for contractors to ask for more than 1,000 upfront. As someone from a construction family I think that's a stupid law and I think a lot of folks just don't follow it.

PremiumSupport
Aug 17, 2015
Yeah, I don't agree with paying for labor up front, I'll pay you for that after you do the work and I sign off on it, but I totally get paying for materials up front. The contractor is often making a huge investment of their own money into the project to get those materials, and not all of them can afford to tie up that much capital for the duration of the project.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

Inner Light posted:

I managed to somehow clip the left edge of this quarter round with my foot, and broke a foot-long piece of like a 15 foot long section off.

Would you all recommend I feed that dumb missed nail back into the drywall (it missed the baseboard when the drunk builders were working 20 years ago) and apply super glue to the broken off portion, then touch up paint?

Or should I have a pro rip out the entire quarter round and replace the thing? I also dunno if it was painted or if it is a standard available pre-painted color.

How nice is the rest of your house? Both of those options is totally valid depending on the answer.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Double-sided tape is good enough

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Yeah a lot of our project was stuff he keeps on supply like lumber, electrical, drywall, lights, but I did forget we gave half of the hvac costs upfront for him to order.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

The terms of my geothermal install are as follows:
50% Down to start work
40% upon rough inspection
the final 10% when the job is finaled.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
I’d like to do a whole exterior refresh on my 4000sqft house in the middle US. Siding, windows, gutters, and whatever overlaps.

How much money should I have in a savings account before I start looking for estimates?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

This is entirely location and quality dependent.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

PremiumSupport posted:

Yeah, I don't agree with paying for labor up front, I'll pay you for that after you do the work and I sign off on it, but I totally get paying for materials up front. The contractor is often making a huge investment of their own money into the project to get those materials, and not all of them can afford to tie up that much capital for the duration of the project.

I assume the idea with half upfront is to avoid a situation where you do the work and the person refuses to pay, but the customer doesn't end up paying in full if the job isn't done to completion either

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Motronic posted:

This is entirely location and quality dependent.

All of the websites I've found searching "estimate cost for siding and windows" are empty referral generators. My gut says if I save up $50k by next year, I can start getting in-person estimates without feeling like I'm wasting a contractor's time.

I was only posting to make sure I'm not guesstimating hilariously low.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

eddiewalker posted:

All of the websites I've found searching "estimate cost for siding and windows" are empty referral generators. My gut says if I save up $50k by next year, I can start getting in-person estimates without feeling like I'm wasting a contractor's time.

I was only posting to make sure I'm not guesstimating hilariously low.

Same response. But let me expand:

Windows: are you looking for builder grade windows and are your current windows a stock size? Great, you can get away cheap. Is this a 100+ year old home that you are trying to keep in character/in a historic district where materials matter a lot? Gonna be expensive. Maybe VERY expensive.

Siding: Are you trying to replace builder grade vinyl with builder grade vinyl? Asbestos with builder grade vinyl? Wood with composite? Is there other damage/waterproofing/etc that needs to be done?

Any of these scenarios can change the costs by double, triple or quadruple. Not even accounting for location.

So again, there is not enough information here to help you.

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

Speaking about siding, does anyone have that Hardie board siding and, if so, how did they like it? Any significant cons beyond the increased expense?

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Pentecoastal Elites posted:

Speaking about siding, does anyone have that Hardie board siding and, if so, how did they like it? Any significant cons beyond the increased expense?

I got nothing but will share that a friend just got some quotes for replacing the siding on his 2500sqft house (he has asbestos siding and decided to encapsulate it instead of remove it) and chose to go with vinyl siding over Hardie board when the quote came in at $20k vs $68k.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

we have hardie board for our condo/townhome deal and it all went bad after like 10-15 years. we have to have it all replaced. we missed out on getting any money from the class action lawsuit for whatever reason

https://www.consumeraffairs.com/homeowners/jameshardie-siding.html

https://classactionsreporter.com/james-hardie-building-products-defective-siding-class-action-lawsuit/

actionjackson fucked around with this message at 03:29 on May 26, 2022

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Cement fiber siding is standard for new builds here. :japan: There is a huge variety of textures and colors to choose from. It can be installed quite quickly and doesn't get hot in summer.

The main drawback, that our builder told us, is that if we ever do any exterior repairs or remodeling, that we will probably be unable to match our current siding. We chose a neutral grey with wood texture and a horizontal stripe thingy that still looks great after 6 years, but some houses built in the past 10 years with cement fiber in a light color with stucco texture or brick texture have moss/algae/water stains on their north side. It might just be a certain brand from a certain year. I chose grey specifically to avoid obvious water stains.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
I really prefer wood over all other materials. There are wooden panels nearing 200 years in some houses here, so it lasts if taken care of. Brick would be my 2nd choice.

If I ever see a loving vinyl sided house in these parts it'll be a lynching though, or a little friendly arson.

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.

peanut posted:

The main drawback, that our builder told us, is that if we ever do any exterior repairs or remodeling, that we will probably be unable to match our current siding. We chose a neutral grey with wood texture and a horizontal stripe thingy that still looks great after 6 years, but some houses built in the past 10 years with cement fiber in a light color with stucco texture or brick texture have moss/algae/water stains on their north side. It might just be a certain brand from a certain year. I chose grey specifically to avoid obvious water stains.

That's weird, we have fiber cement (theoretically Hardie) and when we had our porch done it required tearing up a bunch and installing new... only matching issue is the paint wasn't quite an exact match, but from like 5+ feet away you really can't tell, and the next time we have the house painted it'll be moot.

I'd never use vinyl, I've seen it blown away/warped/melted way too many times. Wood can last but you have to take care of it, and IMO it kind of looks dated (but I have horrible taste so maybe ignore that).

edit:

I didn't think about pre-painted. IIRC a lot of that stuff comes painted from the factory now, so I suppose you'll have issues with matching there.

DaveSauce fucked around with this message at 12:30 on May 26, 2022

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

DaveSauce posted:

That's weird, we have fiber cement (theoretically Hardie) and when we had our porch done it required tearing up a bunch and installing new... only matching issue is the paint wasn't quite an exact match, but from like 5+ feet away you really can't tell, and the next time we have the house painted it'll be moot.

Quality cement board (i.e. actual top line Hardie) is fully impregnated with the color you choose, not painted. This is what the person you are responding to is talking about.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

DaveSauce posted:

I'd never use vinyl, I've seen it blown away/warped/melted way too many times. Wood can last but you have to take care of it, and IMO it kind of looks dated (but I have horrible taste so maybe ignore that).

I'm all about 19/20th century scandinavian style when it comes to design so I am dated. But I own it.

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

Thanks for the feedback on the stove controls. I think I'm swayed to the front-mounted, even if it costs an extra $200.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

Tremors posted:

This looks to be a memorial day sale at a few places.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/GE-27-0...20243591?NCNI-5

Looking for input, it seems to check some boxes I've picked up reading the thread: not Samsung, no through door dispenser, no refrigerator compartment ice maker. Anything I'm missing? We've been wanting to get rid of the side by side our house came with and this is pretty tempting.

I have basically this fridge. Mine's actually a GNE25JSKNFSS, so a little narrower, but looking at the pictures, everything is exactly the same as mine, just a little wider. We were limited in french door options because we needed something that fit in an existing space, and I went with the GE for the same reasons you list.

A year later I'm still happy with it. It makes ice, which our old fridge didn't do, and that alone was worth the price of admission. We learned that the wide drawer on the bottom is tall enough to fit two large pizza boxes, and the inability to put a leftover pizza box in a side by side fridge is what made us look at the french door. The only criticism, if I can even call it that, and it's probably the case with all fridges with water dispensers, is that it doesn't "store" much cold water. You can actually see the water line behind the top left drawer, and it's a supply line that's wrapped up maybe 10-20 times, and that's the "stored" cold water. So after a single glass of water you'll have used that up, and until the water in the supply line cools off again in the fridge, you'll have tap temperature water. But you've got a big ice drawer right below, and I always put ice in anyway, so it's not actually a problem.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

The Wonder Weapon posted:

Thanks for the feedback on the stove controls. I think I'm swayed to the front-mounted, even if it costs an extra $200.
Good call. I totally get the preference over front controls. I never considered the range controls being on the back since I have had gas for years and they are always in the front. I just assumed it was only the oven/clock etc :downs:

gently caress vinyl for an absolute plethora of reasons.

Quality cement/hardi over it, all the way.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

FISHMANPET posted:

We learned that the wide drawer on the bottom is tall enough to fit two large pizza boxes, and the inability to put a leftover pizza box in a side by side fridge is what made us look at the french door.

Why don’t you just take the pizza out of the box and put it in a ziploc bag?

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Or just cover the whole house with galvanium roof material (we have a metal roof and I don't dislike metal siding either) https://siding.igkogyo.co.jp/

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

His Divine Shadow posted:

I'm all about 19/20th century scandinavian style when it comes to design so I am dated. But I own it.
Carl Larsson, Biedermeier, or Hans Wegner?

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Arsenic Lupin posted:

don't forget finn juhl, arne jacobsen, or jens risom

Queen Victorian
Feb 21, 2018

Don't have anything to say about costs/maintenance realities of hardie board because my house is clad in stone :black101: the facade is, anyhow, so just observations on various non-stone/brick siding.

In terms of looks, I think wood always looks the best, whether stained or painted. Then hardie board, then aluminum, then vinyl. The looks of vinyl siding range from passable to cheap and gross. Not to mention it is yet more plastic crap to shovel onto the pile that is our massive and growing plastic pollution problem.

Wood might be on the expensive side (at least compared to vinyl - cursory research shows similar cost to hardie board), but with proper care it'll last a good long while. House across the street from me is like 125 years old and has its original Dutch lap siding and it looks fantastic. I know many other wood-clad houses that are similarly old and still rocking original siding. You just need to keep it painted and a few feet off the ground. The only case where I'd go with hardie board over actual wood, personally speaking and given similar costs, would be if the house was in a high risk zone for wildfires.

Oh yeah, a huge plus of real wood is that you can paint it any color you want and never have to worry about your particular style and color of wood siding being discontinued and messing up repairs/renovation down the road because it's just regular pieces of wood you can cut to whatever size and paint whatever color to match.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Queen Victorian posted:

Oh yeah, a huge plus of real wood is that you can paint it any color you want and never have to worry about your particular style and color of wood siding being discontinued and messing up repairs/renovation down the road because it's just regular pieces of wood you can cut to whatever size and paint whatever color to match.

My house has aluminum siding which frankly feels like the best of both worlds. You can paint it whatever color you want and if it gets dented or scratched you just patch it with some bondo. It is also a recyclable material. It won't ever rust, it's insect and rot proof. Won't warp from the heat or crack due to cold. I suppose it isn't a great choice if you live somewhere that might be pelted with giant hailstones on the regular but otherwise I don't really understand why it has fallen out of favor.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

If a person is deciding on what kind of siding to get, it might be worthwhile to check any impacts on your insurance premium.

When I was entertaining changing companies for our new home a couple years back, I was quoted a higher premium because they "assumed" it was vinyl (I guess its the default now?) Hardie/cement was a beneficial impact on my rates... it wasn't insignificant either, something like 10%.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Never heard of any of them, I just know I like stuff from a certain period. People I might think of are not strictly designers, but their contributions affected design and look of exteriors and interiors of homes in scandinavia.

-Fabian Wrede and Carl Johan Cronstedt, in the 18th century they on order of the king, developed the swedish tile oven which was massively more efficient than the open fireplaces that was the norm at the time. The tile oven influenced swedish and finnish design of the heating systems of houses well into the 20th century. It dominated in the 19th.

-E.A. Wiman a swedish designer who in 1878 came up with the idea of replacing the exterior tile with metal rings instead. This fizzled out in sweden but became dominant in finland.

-Then G.E. Asp who further developed the finnish metal clad ovens and design into the mid 20th century. Though his contributions where technical it was his books that educated finns on how to build these things, and thus their appearance.

-Högfors bruk in Finland who made for finnish interior design, an IMO iconic cast iron cookstove that was a central part of finnish kitchens.

-The guy who developed the "Porin-Matti", an iconic firewood stove that was found in a lot of finnish homes in the 20th century. Already in the 30s it had an efficiency of 86%. A combination of masonry heater and steel stove.

-Also whoever the guy was that invented falu red paint.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Man I could read this stuff forever, I love Scandinavian styles and influence. Thanks for posting. From here in Western Canada that's mostly stuff I've never seen.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Carl Larsson and his wife, Karin; she was an embroiderer who did the curtains and the sampler on the wall. (Note stoves)
Swedish Biedermaier (note all the lightly-finished wood)
Hans Wegner; my parents owned this chair
Finn Juhl
Arne Jacobsen
Jens Risom

Thanks to actionjansen for the last three.

Arsenic Lupin fucked around with this message at 20:30 on May 26, 2022

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

His Divine Shadow posted:

-The guy who developed the "Porin-Matti", an iconic firewood stove that was found in a lot of finnish homes in the 20th century. Already in the 30s it had an efficiency of 86%. A combination of masonry heater and steel stove.

the 1930s? how old is he in this picture?

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Steeeeriiiiiiiiike twooooooo!

All of this stuff is very cool, but something about the little door and landing pad in front of this, my first thought was a litterbox area fit for a king.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

after using PB blaster on my door locks and gel-gloss on my cultured marble vanity top, I definitely have many types of cancer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

actionjackson posted:

after using PB blaster on my door locks and gel-gloss on my cultured marble vanity top, I definitely have many types of cancer

Don't forget to Scotchgard also! Just did my sectional.