Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

I'm all in for Willow. I fukkin' loved that movie.

Huge same!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Valve Steam Deck posted:

All Star Wars guns are just real guns with a few extra greebles and backwards scopes, and slugthrowers were already in the prequels and the clone wars series

Oh, I'm very well aware of that, and it's a common thing in a ton of sci-fi (See the infamous M41A pulse rifles from Aliens being built around M1A1 Thompsons and shotguns), but it was kinda odd to me to see the ones in the trailer that have fairly minor changes and still had that distinct shape. Some quick and dirty screenshots:

There's some changes made to them, notably at the back of the receiver that I can't quite place, but it was just something that really jumped out to me even the first time I watched the trailer.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Clearly even far, far away, if you absolutely, positively got to kill every Stormtrooper in the room, accept no substitutes.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

I'm surprised they kept the wood furniture for them.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Oh poo poo Ashley Eckstein and Rosario Dawson have never met

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Madurai posted:

Oh poo poo Ashley Eckstein and Rosario Dawson have never met

I feel like there's some pain here that she's not involved with her character in the live action.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

fartknocker posted:

Oh, I'm very well aware of that, and it's a common thing in a ton of sci-fi (See the infamous M41A pulse rifles from Aliens being built around M1A1 Thompsons and shotguns), but it was kinda odd to me to see the ones in the trailer that have fairly minor changes and still had that distinct shape. Some quick and dirty screenshots:

There's some changes made to them, notably at the back of the receiver that I can't quite place, but it was just something that really jumped out to me even the first time I watched the trailer.

I thought I saw drat AKs in this trailor. I'm glad someone linked the WWII guns to show the similarities to the OT guns so we can go ahead and say that having AKs in this galaxy makes no sense. There's plenty of other WWII guns they could still draw inspiration from if they felt the need to introduce a new weapon like the Bren or M1 Garand or M1 Carbine or BAR. Don't understand why they're going the AK route other than, "hey these guys are rebels and we all know rebels are really just terrorists so let's give these guys AKs to make them look bad because only bad guys use AKs amirite?" and I just don't like it.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

https://twitter.com/harlilly_quinn/status/1529923372792127488

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Anita Dickinme posted:

I thought I saw drat AKs in this trailor. I'm glad someone linked the WWII guns to show the similarities to the OT guns so we can go ahead and say that having AKs in this galaxy makes no sense. There's plenty of other WWII guns they could still draw inspiration from if they felt the need to introduce a new weapon like the Bren or M1 Garand or M1 Carbine or BAR. Don't understand why they're going the AK route other than, "hey these guys are rebels and we all know rebels are really just terrorists so let's give these guys AKs to make them look bad because only bad guys use AKs amirite?" and I just don't like it.

yer wrong bud, the rebels blaster rifles are based off AR-15s - star wars blaster aesthetic is not strictly WW2 based

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Anita Dickinme posted:

:eng101: The Bren has already been used, it's the heavy blaster Cara Dune uses at the end of Mandalorian season 1 (And maybe in season 2?).

Also, we've already had stuff based on modern-y looking guns like the STG44 (The A295's used by the Rebels on Hoth, later again in Mandalorian by IG-11) and AR15 (The A280s the commandos carry on Endor, plus a bunch of the stuff in Rogue One), so it doesn't really bother me.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

:asoiaf:

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

I'm kinda surprised it took Disney nearly two hours to get that taken down.

For those who didn't see, it was the trailer shown only at the Star Wars Celebration of Mandalorian season 3. We'll probably see it formally in a few months.

They're going to Mandalore.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

I rewatched TLJ last night for the first time since it came out, knowing what the movie is trying to do made me soften on the movie a lot but it’s still got real problems. I think the biggest one is that Holdo is dumb as gently caress by not telling anyone what her surprisingly simple and reasonable escape plan was, and it gets a shitload of people killed because the chronically reckless loose-cannon ace pilot (who had already disobeyed orders at the beginning of the movie) predictably disobeys orders and does something reckless that jeopardizes Holdo’s plan.

Like… all she had to do was tell him the plan. There was no “OPSEC” there, there wasn’t a traitor onboard or the First Order hacking their comms, when one of her key personnel is known for disobeying orders then maybe she shouldn’t be hiding information from him - especially when she ends up telling him the plan anyway (after a shitload of people have been senselessly killed, naturally) and he immediately says “oh yeah, that makes sense”.

If she’d told him what was up from the start, Poe wouldn’t have gone rogue, sent Rose and Finn on a borderline suicide mission that almost gets them captured or killed repeatedly and nearly fails like 4 times (and finally does fail at the end, nearly getting them killed and directly resulting in the First Order learning about the fleeing transports and blowing up like 80% of them), and staged a loving mutiny.

It’s not enough to ruin the movie, and it does have worthwhile stuff and I am glad I rewatched it, but when the entire B-plot and much of the tension, stakes, and tragedy hinges on one character willfully being a dumbass, it chafes a little.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

queen is back

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Deep Fake 2022 Hayden Christensen into the end of Return of the Jedi, both the Vader unmasked scene and the Anakin Redeemed Force Ghost one too. Enough time has passed that both will work convincingly now.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Jerkface posted:

yer wrong bud, the rebels blaster rifles are based off AR-15s - star wars blaster aesthetic is not strictly WW2 based

fartknocker posted:

:eng101: The Bren has already been used, it's the heavy blaster Cara Dune uses at the end of Mandalorian season 1 (And maybe in season 2?).

Also, we've already had stuff based on modern-y looking guns like the STG44 (The A295's used by the Rebels on Hoth, later again in Mandalorian by IG-11) and AR15 (The A280s the commandos carry on Endor, plus a bunch of the stuff in Rogue One), so it doesn't really bother me.

Ah okay fair enough, had no idea and didn't really look at them that hard.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

nine-gear crow posted:

Deep Fake 2022 Hayden Christensen into the end of Return of the Jedi, both the Vader unmasked scene and the Anakin Redeemed Force Ghost one too. Enough time has passed that both will work convincingly now.

Double post but I'm down for this. Especially the ghost scene at the end where they just took some random footage that doesn't feel right.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Alt link for the Mando teaser; even after all this time Disney still never checks Tumblr for leaks so it'll probably stick around a while

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Something I forgot and just now remembered, they also had John Williams conduct the new Obi-Wan theme live at the panel:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vNCulbijc-0&t=66s

It's pretty typical modern Williams fare but I like it.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Larryb posted:

That was it, though it might be nice to meet a member of Yoda’s race that ISN’T Force sensitive for a change (unless they’re all just naturally gifted like how some races in the galaxy are apparently completely immune to Jedi mind tricks)

I think Sid in Bad Batch was a great example of a character playing against their species' type. A streetwise overweight female Trandoshan who doesn't really have anything to do with hunting.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

SlothfulCobra posted:

I think Sid in Bad Batch was a great example of a character playing against their species' type. A streetwise overweight female Trandoshan who doesn't really have anything to do with hunting.

Rhea Perlman was the perfect voice casting for her.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Kenobi’s premiere just got pushed up to 9 PM PST.

In one hour.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Gonz posted:

In one hour.

I wonder if they'll be doing that for all episodes or just the first two

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Gonz posted:

In one hour.

Ooooh fuuuuck. Maybe to combat Stranger Things?

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

teagone posted:

And to head off the reactions and spoilers of the folks seeing it even earlier than that at Celebration I think.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

It's up. Good night friends-- I flipped through a few scenes but I dare not piss off my wife by watching it without her.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

teagone posted:

More like so you can watch both episodes, and then go straight into ST

Or to tire you out so you postpone watching ST until a later date

https://twitter.com/obiwankenobi/status/1530019678562549760

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

People all over the world,
Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!
If they didn’t have R2 slinging drinks at the stupid party he wouldn’t have let the kidnapping happen.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

Pops Mgee posted:

If they didn’t have R2 slinging drinks at the stupid party he wouldn’t have let the kidnapping happen.

Lol I completely missed him

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

Hey, a Jackalope!

Looks good. Slow but that's fine.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

First impression of Kenobi was pretty good. Didn't knock my socks off or anything. Not what I was expecting overall, especially all the Leia and Alderaan stuff, that blindsided me lol, but they definitely went for the angle I was hoping that would and went all in with putting Obi-Wan's PTSD upfront. Smart move showing first 2 eps though; I would've been less impressed and pretty frustrated if we only got the first and then had to wait.

teagone fucked around with this message at 06:55 on May 27, 2022

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.
I already adore this show.

LOVE the bait and switch where the trailers make it look to be about Luke and it's actually about Leia. loving fantastic choice. And Ewan is killing it so far.

My only question is Did they just kill the Grand Inquisitor before he dies in Rebels? Or were we being duped and it's not the same guy

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I was not really vibing with this at all. There’s some good here and there but overall this feels like the prequels in a not so good way.

The actress for Leia is horrible and grating. I hope it gets better but this feels like such a step down from Mando and even Boba Fett.

And how the gently caress do you kill the Grand Inquisitor this early?? What the hell??? Isn’t this before Rebels????

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!
The Auralnauts are going to have a field day with all the drug stuff.

theres no way the grand inquisitor is dead. Maul came back from much worse plus they presumably have access to some Vader style cybernetics to patch him up.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

My only question is Did they just kill the Grand Inquisitor before he dies in Rebels? Or were we being duped and it's not the same guy

Yeah I'm confused about this. Either it's now retconned? Or like, possibly ANOTHER TIMELINE. I dunno.

Gresh
Jan 12, 2019

do they not do auditions anymore because there's no way they couldn't find a better actress for that villain role, yikes

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

teagone posted:

Yeah I'm confused about this. Either it's now retconned? Or like, possibly ANOTHER TIMELINE. I dunno.

I just figure it has something to do with that “there are things worse than death” line he throws out in Rebels right before he jumps into the reactor

That or Rebels Quizzy is a clone :shrug:

Anyway, liked the eps overall. Felt more like a movie than the previous shows did, and Ewan just killed it with the acting. They *really* got some mileage out of that John Williams theme lol

Kid Leia at least has Carrie’s mannerisms down even if her delivery is very “child actor”

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Gresh posted:

do they not do auditions anymore because there's no way they couldn't find a better actress for that villain role, yikes

Lol, I was just saying on discord how I wasn't really vibing with Reva's performance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!
the next inquisitor’s clone tube wasn’t big enough and squished him and that’s why his head is longer in rebels