Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

OldSenileGuy posted:

I’m just confused/curious how Hayden is going to actually fit into the show. I’m guessing/expecting to see him in a flashback of some kind, but what about when he’s in full Vader mode?

Is he actually in the suit when we inevitably get scenes with Vader? Does he talk, or did they wheel James Earl Jones into the booth to record more dialogue? I imagine we’ll also get some scenes of him all scarred up in his little meditation pod like we did at the end of episode 2.

I am curious how they're going to handle the Vader voice from here onward, because James Earl Jones sounded like he was on death's doorstep back in Rogue One, and that was six years ago now. Wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if they started using that creepy soulless deep fake voice synthesis tech for more and more legacy Star Wars actors now that they proved it works with Robo Mark Hamill* in The Book of Boba Fett.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Wait did I snort some of Obi-Wan's drugs or was it not, like, plainly obvious that Reva was one of the kids we saw during the Order 66 scene? The one who told everyone else to run when their master died?

e: sorry, I meant "younglings" :v:

BrianWilly fucked around with this message at 09:16 on May 28, 2022

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

BrianWilly posted:

Wait did I snort some of Obi-Wan's drugs or was it not, like, plainly obvious that Reva was one of the kids we saw during the Order 66 scene? The one who told everyone else to run when their master died?

Yes, that is exactly it. TVIV just really sucks at watching TV, don't tell anyone :ssh:

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

I don't think Obi Wan ever gave said his real first or last names when he was speaking within earshot of Leia, just "Ben," so I guess it's possible she didn't realize it was the same person when she passed on her father's distress call in A New Hope. Just one of the many Jedi he knew in the Clone Wars.

Or, y'know, just a plot hole.

Fried Watermelon posted:

He should be fighting dirty and using tricks like he did against Greivous.

To be fair, Ben defeated a couple of bounty hunters with the same very effective trick he used against Grievous.

He shot them to death with a gun.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Honestly even if the Reva character wasn't extremely one note and the actor wasn't awful the character would still suck because, frankly, the inquisitors just kinda suck. They are the worst part of Rebels - as competent as Team Rocket with a quarter of the charisma - and frankly the whole idea that Vader had a group of bargain bin Sith apprentices to hunt down the remaining Jedi is extremely lazy. Gimme an Imperial assassin core in the mold of HK-47 or Atton who are just highly trained killers who have knowledge of the Jedi code and how to exploit it, and utilize underhanded techniques Jedi aren't readily up to countering like being gassed/stunned/ambushed.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Sydin posted:

Honestly even if the Reva character wasn't extremely one note and the actor wasn't awful the character would still suck because, frankly, the inquisitors just kinda suck. They are the worst part of Rebels - as competent as Team Rocket with a quarter of the charisma - and frankly the whole idea that Vader had a group of bargain bin Sith apprentices to hunt down the remaining Jedi is extremely lazy. Gimme an Imperial assassin core in the mold of HK-47 or Atton who are just highly trained killers who have knowledge of the Jedi code and how to exploit it, and utilize underhanded techniques Jedi aren't readily up to countering like being gassed/stunned/ambushed.

They’re good enough for whatever threat they’re probably facing, since it seems like it was mostly padawans that escaped Order 66. Someone being able to kill one is the quick way to summon the actual power of Vader, though.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

BrianWilly posted:

e: sorry, I meant "younglings" :v:

how was that obvious? those kids looked like 5

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

nine-gear crow posted:

I am curious how they're going to handle the Vader voice from here onward, because James Earl Jones sounded like he was on death's doorstep back in Rogue One, and that was six years ago now. Wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if they started using that creepy soulless deep fake voice synthesis tech for more and more legacy Star Wars actors now that they proved it works with Robo Mark Hamill* in The Book of Boba Fett.

Of all the iconic voices to synthesize James Earl Jones' Vader is probably one of the most straightforward tbh.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand

CODChimera posted:

how was that obvious? those kids looked like 5
They looked about Leia's age, and she's supposed to be 10.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Spoilers for future episodes:
More or less, yes. At some point Reva realizes Luke exists and is tied to Kenobi and Leia, so she splits off to hunt him down and Kenobi is forced to pursue.

How the hell do you even know this

Are you like a critic for vanity Fair

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
The entire like script leaked. Like a half year ago or so

A whole bunch of people are making a bunch of incredibly specific predictions outchea

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

nine-gear crow posted:

Wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if they started using that creepy soulless deep fake voice synthesis tech for more and more legacy Star Wars actors now that they proved it works with Robo Mark Hamill* in The Book of Boba Fett.

Count on it. He was reported to have done a ton of voice sessions for this express purpose a few years back.

In recent years they've had some other really solid voice actors do impressions. I'd definitely prefer that, but Disney has clearly set a precedent at this point.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Sydin posted:

So what you’re saying is the inquisitors need a lothcat with a credit on its forehead

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Sydin posted:

Agreed. Bargain bin Sith is pretty much how I always viewed them or just fan fic stuff. Since we never actually see inquisitors or whatever in OT and the prequels have few sith (as well as clone wars I guess) it does feel weird.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
I loved the first ep, was much cooler on the second. The chase scenes with the kid (who is otherwise a delight in the role) are painful, all these adults failing to keep up with their tiny jogging looks ludicrous; the Inquisitors are kinda lame (lol @ Reva’s rooftop shenanigans); and the limitations of the Volume were blatantly apparent in all the neon planet scenes, the exterior shots there all looked terribly stagey and fake. I think it’s the floor, it’s just all so flat, featureless and lifeless, really takes me out of it. Conversely, Tatooine and OTHER PLANET feel real and alive.

So that’s what isn’t working for me. What I am digging is Ewan killing it, he does so much work with just a defeated and haunted look, his painful interactions with Owen (who I have a new respect and appreciation for now) and Bail (loving the Smits here also). We might have laughed at the Obi-Wan has PTSD thing back in the day but he really sells it here, the dude is hosed up bad. And the scene of him waking up from his nightmare and calling out Qui-Gon to no response is just sad as gently caress.

Presumably the Grand Inquisitor will be right as rain, if a bounty hunter in the middle of the Dune Sea can hang on long enough to get patched up, I’m sure a leading Imperial dude can get seen to. Plus it just increases the need for our boy to drag his rear end out his tank and take charge of these yo-yos. I am very curious how hard they’re going to go with Vader, full on bastard or more hints to his softer side?

So yeah, it’s a mixed bag but I’m mostly enjoying it, the dynamic between Ben and the kid, and hopefully now they’re off the crappy looking neon planet stage, it’ll be onwards and upwards from here. And mad hype for Anakin getting his game on, of course.

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"
Outside of Inquisitors being one of the things that routinely missed for me in Rebels, Revas's writing and then the acting of those lines doesn't help. The only thing that made the Grand Inquisitor in Rebels even remotely threatening was Jason Issac's VA performance.

Overall the show is "good" with it rising to "great" when it comes to Ewan McGregor.

I'm not sure if I've been watching too many VFX videos and am now nitpicky but some of the lighting and blending on characters made the green screen shots (the wide shot of Obi Wan sitting outside the cave, Imperials walking/any wide shot with actual actors on Daiyu) plainly obvious in a way I hadn't seen in any recent Disney+ shows.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Reva's dialogue has this odd delivery that reminds me of video game speech. All of the lines sound like they were recorded alone with no other actor to play off of or anything, one at a time. Yet this is obviously impossible because there's a guy standing right there.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

twistedmentat posted:

I think it would be pretty hilarious if Obi-wan and Reva have their lightsaber fight and Obi-wan utterly schools her because he's literally one of the best fighters the Jedi had and she's just, well, we don't know what she actually is.

Pops Mgee posted:

Ahsoka absolutely wrecks the inquisitors in Rebels without breaking a sweat and she got kicked out of the order as a padawan. I have no doubt that Obi could clown all of the inquisitors.

Yeah Obi-Wan might have been out of the game for a few years, but not only is he the only dude in the entire galaxy to put a Sith Lord in the ground, he's the only person to do it *twice.*

Yes I know Maul and Vader are technically still alive at this point, but Obi-Wan cut one of them in half and sliced off three of the other's limbs so I'm counting both of those as big loving Ws. Anakin's Dooku kill doesn't count because I'm pretty sure Palpatine convinced Dooku to throw that fight, and Sidious' Plagueis kill was in his sleep or something so that doesn't count either. :colbert:

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

I would not describe Ewan's performance as "killing it." He said in some interview that he's trying as hard as possible to be Alec Guinness and instead it comes across as Ewan doing an Alec Guinness impression. Not good.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

ninjahedgehog posted:

Sidious' Plagueis kill was in his sleep or something so that doesn't count either. :colbert:

*anakin trying to enjoy the water ballet*
Sidious: I killed an old man in his sleep

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Spookydonut posted:

Lmao

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Spookydonut posted:

Hey, you know how you are all messed up because your mom died? Well because I killed that old guy in his sleep, I might be able to figure out how to teach you to keep your wife from dying, maybe. This only sounds weird when you say it out loud, but I swear this will make sense when you think about it for a minute.

Oh yeah, quick thing: you're going to need to murder a ton of kids and your best friend to get this project started.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Sheev- "I need you to betray and murder all your pals and i'll help you save your wife."
Volition [Easy: Failure] - He is the chancellor, after all. He knows things.
Half-Light- Remember the rush you got killing those subhuman sandpeople? Imagine going toe to toe with your fellow Jedi. Gives you half a chub to think about.

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

YOU DON'T KNOW A DAMN THING ABOUT RACING !

Sydin posted:

Honestly even if the Reva character wasn't extremely one note and the actor wasn't awful the character would still suck because, frankly, the inquisitors just kinda suck. They are the worst part of Rebels - as competent as Team Rocket with a quarter of the charisma - and frankly the whole idea that Vader had a group of bargain bin Sith apprentices to hunt down the remaining Jedi is extremely lazy.

They actually made it worse in the Obi Wan show, by stating that the inquisitors are former Jedi. A Jedi falling to the dark side was rare and a big deal and here it's depicted as "Yeah, we are the baddies now and work for the guy who destroyed our order. We also love hunting down our former bros. Also Reva is just cartoonishly evil, the kind of villain who enjoys burning ants with a magnifying glass, instead of actually being sinister.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

I realize it's maybe fan justification but I think what's left unsaid is that they are Jedi Padawan/younglings turned against their former bretheren. Makes sense. Jedi Knights/Masters are harder to turn and more likely to snap back or be unreliable given an unsupervised task and any authority. Younglings, though are a good get. Weak enough to capture, basic force attunement is already out of the way, shape 'em into whatever you want.

As a matter of fact my suspicion is we saw Reva in the cold open.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Owlbear Camus posted:

I realize it's maybe fan justification but I think what's left unsaid is that they are Jedi Padawan/younglings turned against their former bretheren. Makes sense. Jedi Knights/Masters are harder to turn and more likely to snap back or be unreliable given an unsupervised task and any authority. Younglings, though are a good get. Weak enough to capture, basic force attunement is already out of the way, shape 'em into whatever you want.

Fallen Order explicitly showed how they made Inquisitors by torturing Jedi they found or captured, which happened to Trilla and what Cal saw would happen if he made a Jedi Order, ending with him serving the Empire as an Inquisitor

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Vinylshadow posted:

Fallen Order explicitly showed how they made Inquisitors by torturing Jedi they found or captured, which happened to Trilla and what Cal saw would happen if he made a Jedi Order, ending with him serving the Empire as an Inquisitor

Oh gently caress how could I forget one of the coolest moments in the game. Screen goes completely black, and the tooltip reminder comes up that you can ignite your saber as a flashlight. Okay, duh, that's on me for forgetting. Bam it's a vision saber's red and you're in intimidating black armor. Such a cool game.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Inquisitors were supposed to suck in Rebels, though.

I mean, that's their entire point. When you first see them, you think they're supposed to be badass, but then you realize they're supposed to be defeatable antagonists for a Padawan and a Padawan of a Padawan. Their whole thing is being weak Force users with gimmicks like spinny blades.

Then, when an actual powerful Jedi Knight shows up in Ahsoka (she was made a Jedi, she just turned it down, she was also assigned to Anakin because she was so gifted), she can effortlessly own all of them simultaneously. That's when we have antagonist replacement when the protagonists get more powerful, and Maul is the dude that shows up from time to time.

Vader was always the ultimate scary get away and run guy on the show that you were truly afraid of. Inquisitors were just a danger for getting his actual attention.

ghostwritingduck
Aug 26, 2004

"I hope you like waking up at 6 a.m. and having your favorite things destroyed. P.S. Forgive me because I'm cuter than that $50 wire I just ate."
It’s shocking to me that Kelley Dixon, an accomplished editor of Breaking Bad/Better Call Saul, is also credited with editing those Leia chases.

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

Owlbear Camus posted:

Which is why the Grand Inquisitor was so imposing/such a good get, he was a Jedi Temple Guard.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

nine-gear crow posted:

10 y/o luke is actually a deep fake and in a couple of months we'll be treated to behind the scenes photos of mark hamill in a green suit pretending to be a spaceman and yippeeing at tosche station

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

That DICK! posted:

10 y/o luke is actually a deep fake and in a couple of months we'll be treated to behind the scenes photos of mark hamill in a green suit pretending to be a spaceman and yippeeing at tosche station

Not seeing the problem here :colbert:

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
It's almost like indoctrination and manipulation are a thing that can easily make you turn against your own friends and family.

Especially when you were taken away from your actual family as a kid and were literally loving taught not to have connections or emotions.

Like Jedi younglings and Padawans are absurdly easy to break because they have already shown they can be indoctrinated and already are trained to be disassociated from the world and ignore connections and strong feelings towards others.

Just need to flip that a bit and they are easily turned into monsters.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

Vinylshadow posted:

Not seeing the problem here :colbert:

hell im with ya

Dexo posted:

It's almost like indoctrination and manipulation are a thing that can easily make you turn against your own friends and family.

Especially when you were taken away from your actual family as a kid and were literally loving taught not to have connections or emotions.

Like Jedi younglings and Padawans are absurdly easy to break because they have already shown they can be indoctrinated and already are trained to be disassociated from the world and ignore connections and strong feelings towards others.

the inquisitors dont seem very dark sidey so far. when the one confronted the other, she just like shoved him into a wall and he shoved back. it felt really fuckin weird, have her do a force push thing or something.

now im imagining vader just running up and pushing admiral motti out of his chair... now im imagining vader just running up and pushing someone over anytime he disciplined a subordinate... and actually, its good. im pro no force powers

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Dexo posted:

From my point of view, the Jedi are evil.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Same here.

Which means it's extremely not hard for one to get to a mental place where they will hunt other Jedi.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

I also want Kittster: A Star Wars Story

Also timestamps for the rest of it

0:00 Intro
18:27 LEGO Star Wars: The Skywalker Saga
38:36 Willrow Hood
40:22 The Summer of LEGO Star Wars
1:26:08 RX-91L "Gil"
1:28:32 Galaxy's Edge Merch
1:34:17 Rob Bredow
1:56:52 Chris Connelly

2:05:18 Star Wars Jedi Survivor Reveal w/ BD-1
2:06:41 Star Wars Jedi Survivor Teaser Trailer

2:09:14 Attack of the Clones 20th Anniversary Panel
2:19:00 LIKE A BANTHA
2:53:12 Ewan McGregor & Hayden Christensen Join
2:58:53 "Nice to meet you, Skyguy!"

3:10:01 Star Wars Galactic Starcruiser
3:16:03 Star Wars: Young Jedi Adventures
3:35:43 Lynwen Brennan & Rose Duignan
3:50:38 Dennis Muren, Phil Tippett & Joe Johnston
4:12:30 Doug Chiang
4:25:41 From A Galaxy Far, Far Away To A Disney Park Near You
5:41:40 More Disney Park Info w/ Scott Trowbridge, Asa Kalama & Ann Morrow Johnson
5:52:20 Star Wars & Funko w/ Reis O'Brien
6:04:38 Starlight Children's Foundation w/ Adam Garone
6:09:47 Star Wars Authors Jason Fry & Leland Chee
6:43:40 Ron Howard
6:53:35 Outro

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Aren't the Inquisitors like total loser Jedi, like the most mediocre of the mediocre? The Grand Inquisitor's old job was guarding the Jedi Temple. Those guys are losers with pisssabres

Like oh wow this guy was so elite they made him a rentacop

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Mameluke posted:

Aren't the Inquisitors like total loser Jedi, like the most mediocre of the mediocre? The Grand Inquisitor's old job was guarding the Jedi Temple. Those guys are losers with pisssabres

Like oh wow this guy was so elite they made him a rentacop

They're low Jedi Knight level, which is by design, since ol' Palps doesn't want threats to his power and Vader isn't about to let anyone replace him, no matter how uppity they think they are

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

"Hey! Hey!" *menacingly spins light baton* "You gotta sign in, buddy!"