Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Danhenge
Dec 16, 2005
I believe the cells inside the battery are usually spot welded, so if you're prepared to replace a cell via spot welding, it might be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

Guyver posted:

Would it be worth getting a security bit and fiddling with it?

No, because when big lithium batteries fail, they burn down your house.

Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

I always wanted to be a Wizard

Guyver posted:

Is it possible to save a 20v dewalt battery that's been in salt water?

Couple weeks ago I was coming to shore from a barge and the boat I was on got hit by a big wake filling my tool bucket that had a 1/4" impact in it with water. I didn't notice till we docked and the battery was really hot when I fished it out. I disassembled and cleaned out the gun which works again but the battery won't work or charge.

Saltwater is conductive and your description indicates it had an internal short bad enough to heat up the entire thing. It's gone, friend. Lithium batteries store a lot of energy, your pack is no longer safe to use. Dispose of it safely, like at a home improvement store.

Salvaging cells is for stuff like getting drawn down too much or sitting for too long. There's no coming back from "severe short while immersed in conductive, corrosive liquid"

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

Well poo poo. Guess I just need to eat the $70 and be done with it. Thanks for the info. I like my house not being on fire.

Danhenge posted:

I believe the cells inside the battery are usually spot welded, so if you're prepared to replace a cell via spot welding, it might be.

Probably not.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Tool Thread: I like my house not being on fire.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Johnny Truant posted:

Tool Thread: I like my house not being on fire.

Excuse me, but sometimes a little fire is impossible to avoid when dealing with power tools.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

To add, saltwater is a disposal method for lithium ion pouch packs used by RC cars because it's conductive enough to completely drain the cells after a conventional discharge method.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Guyver posted:

Is it possible to save a 20v dewalt battery that's been in salt water?

Couple weeks ago I was coming to shore from a barge and the boat I was on got hit by a big wake filling my tool bucket that had a 1/4" impact in it with water. I didn't notice till we docked and the battery was really hot when I fished it out. I disassembled and cleaned out the gun which works again but the battery won't work or charge.

Dear sweet Jesus no. It's completely wrecked and very likely to catch fire if you try to charge it. The cells are going to be over-discharged, which makes them dangerous as hell. Recycle it responsibly.

: Edit: Oh look, another page...

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

Ha ha, Guyver needs to edit his post on the prev page to say it's been answered, or else we're going to see alarmed replies all week.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Shame on all of you if you don't have a formal hot work permitting system at your household

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.

BIG-DICK-BUTT-gently caress posted:

just get an inexpensive coffee grinder from goodwill

I'm sorry Sir, this is the tool thread. There's always more and it's always more expensive.

brugroffil posted:

I will never bag.

My ancient inherited craftsmen cuts my yard fine (discharge cover installed), but one of the blades has a big gouge due to hitting a hidden rock at the end of last season and needs to be replaced. So I might as well go with the best option for my use case.

Counterpoint: bag your shredded leaves, apply as mulch to vegetables and fruit trees or compost it. Stuff's amazing. If you do this the 18v blower is more than enough to blow stray leaves out of nooks and crannies to where the lawnmower can get to them. gently caress grass, it doesn't appreciate a good mulching.

Unless you have black walnut trees, in which case good luck with your toxic waste disposal problem.

My lawnmower blades from here on will be hollow ground because that is an artifact of grinding on a curved wheel. After spending this much on an expensive Tormek hammer you're damned right the world looks like a dull nail.

j.peeba
Oct 25, 2010

Almost Human
Nap Ghost

IOwnCalculus posted:

To add, saltwater is a disposal method for lithium ion pouch packs used by RC cars because it's conductive enough to completely drain the cells after a conventional discharge method.

It’s a perfectly safe and legal thrill.

Slanderer
May 6, 2007
does anyone have a guide/tutorial/video handy on sharpening new chisels? i'm not sure if there's anything special about them, bc i've only sharpened one before (and quickly + poorly)

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

IOwnCalculus posted:

Ive since read that the salt water method is a myth / bad/ etc, but it was what i ended up doing several years ago after an RC plane incident led to a burning, slashed LiPo pack falling from the sky during my lunch break.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

I'm about to take my loving maul to this garbage toolbox so before I do that I'll ask here: how the gently caress do you get drawer runners off a track like this one?

You can already see where the runner is bent from me trying to take it off by depressing the past of the drawer that catches. But it seems the runner metal is cheap dogshit, because I have not once gotten the drawer catch past the runner stopper thing.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

if you really want to grind weed in an expensive and impractical way get an m18 hammer drill and a gearbox and sharpen the edges on two paint mixers and put that into a 5 gallon bucket

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

IOwnCalculus posted:

It also sucks any heat away really effectively so they don't catch fire. We deep-sixed any lithium batteries that got wet/hot/hosed on the Navy job I used to work.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!
I was reminded today of just how much carbide burrs actively want to kill you. That is all.

Also used my m12 grinder because it was an outdoor weld (I grind down the welds because A. I am not the greatest welder and B. So rain has a smoother flow and less places to accumulate C. Not a dwelling structure.).

deimos fucked around with this message at 00:51 on May 29, 2022

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Slanderer posted:

does anyone have a guide/tutorial/video handy on sharpening new chisels? i'm not sure if there's anything special about them, bc i've only sharpened one before (and quickly + poorly)

Woodworking thread has that discussion monthly, and tons of links and advice.

Hexigrammus posted:

I'm sorry Sir, this is the tool thread. There's always more and it's always more expensive.

Counterpoint: bag your shredded leaves, apply as mulch to vegetables and fruit trees or compost it. Stuff's amazing. If you do this the 18v blower is more than enough to blow stray leaves out of nooks and crannies to where the lawnmower can get to them. gently caress grass, it doesn't appreciate a good mulching.

This.

Danhenge
Dec 16, 2005
Fellas I found myself a screaming deal

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Danhenge posted:

Knock out a dent or two, a new paint job and it'll look brand new!

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Danhenge posted:

Slight hail damage. Don't lowball me bacause the hail done did!

Jedi425
Dec 6, 2002

THOU ART THEE ART THOU STICK YOUR HAND IN THE TV DO IT DO IT DO IT

So there's a deal on this wowstick on Amazon:

Limited-time deal: Wowstick 1F+ 64 In 1 Electric Screwdriver, Dual Mode Cordless Lithium-ion Charge LED Power Screwdriver (64 in 1) https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B07H27G9NF/

Anyone have strong opinions on this thing either way? I'm tempted to get it.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Jedi425 posted:

So there's a deal on this wowstick on Amazon:

Limited-time deal: Wowstick 1F+ 64 In 1 Electric Screwdriver, Dual Mode Cordless Lithium-ion Charge LED Power Screwdriver (64 in 1) https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B07H27G9NF/

Anyone have strong opinions on this thing either way? I'm tempted to get it.

What exactly is the use case/target market for that thing? It looks like a terrible gmicky driver with a bunch of low quality bits sold at a premium price.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Well at least it has muti function and is capable of woring.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Motronic posted:

What exactly is the target market for that thing?

https://youtu.be/myIR__htBgc

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost
So my yard was a fuckin mess, to the point where the neighbor did my front for me, which was a real embarrassment. To be fair: I wasn't really living here yet, but I ended up taking a break from my renovations to buy a weed whacker and lower the jungle down a bit. (I have a mower, fwiw, but there's been about three years of neglected yardwork and there is poo poo scattered everywhere, it's gonna be a little while before I'm comfortable going out there with anything more dangerous than a plastic string on a spindle) - I ended up getting a Makita string trimmer, since it was very very lightweight without feeling cheap. I have some problems with my right arm sometimes which can make heavy tools kind of suck, so this is generally a priority.

It did the job really well, better than I'd expected, but the battery could only really mulch through a third of the back yard before dying. I had expected it was going to do this, and figured I'd just need to buy a couple of batteries. It was at this point I realized; 18v tool batteries are loving expensive. I guess this is how they get you, huh?

I needed more batteries for my weed whacker and a lot more tools for my reno, so I bought a couple of tool bundles since there's a free tool deal going at the depot. A brief review:

18v LXT Hammer Drill (XPH12Z) -- The best drill I have ever owned. Granted, the best drill I have ever owned prior to this was a blue ryobi 6v I'd bought second hand from a wal-mart facilities worker at a garage sale. I don't have a fair comparative basis, but it's not too bad on my hands and I've had good luck with it in my offhand. I recommend it, for what it's worth. 5/5

18v LXT Impact Driver (XDT13Z) -- I don't know how to operate tools and I immediately put in the wrong type of bit and then got it stuck in the chuck, terribly. I think I need to disassemble this now, the vice grips have done nothing. I give this one a don't loan me your tools out of five stars.

These two came in a bundle with a couple of 4.0 amp batteries for about the price of those batteries, I guess? It feels like such a good deal but I know this is intentional

The free tool I got with this was their oscillating multi-tool, which I was not convinced would be useful, but then proceeded to get the most use out of any of the tools I bought

18v LXT multi-tool (XMT03Z) -- I used this to remove all the piss soaked and over-nailed trim in my in-laws house and it did a heroic job of shredding through whatever I pointed at it, while also driving my wife and any cats sprinting from the room to escape it's shrill whine. It has the ergonomics of a pringles can wrapped in wads of cash and it turned my wrist and elbow into jelly. It also doesn't have a light on the end. I really needed this tool, but I wish it was a different one. This is a 1/5 from me because of my particular concerns, it may be a 5/5 if you are a masochist who enjoys being sore

The next bundle I got was their rear-handled circular saw, which I haven't used yet and am pretty afraid of, to be honest. I mainly bought this to get the two batteries and the two slot rapid charger they bundled it with. The tool I got as a freebie with this one was the jigsaw.

18v LXT Jigsaw (XVJ03) -- I don't really like heavy tools and this is a pretty heavy tool, and yet, it is my favorite of the things I have gotten. I think it's just really satisfying to use. Get your goggles on, get in there and watch it go to town. It's like a sewing machine, except it's chewing through whatever you feed through it. I've mainly been using it for cutting vinyl plank but it seems to go through wood and MDF without too much trouble. It has a little blower that tries to keep dust out of the cutting area. Definitely wear your goggles. I got a little bit of vinyl in my eye the other day and it wasn't very fun. 5/5

Mirthless fucked around with this message at 20:23 on May 29, 2022

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Mirthless posted:

It was at this point I realized; 18v tool batteries are loving expensive. I guess this is how they get you, huh?

Congratulations, you've realized that tool manufacturers have adopted the Gillette razor model: the handles are cheap. It's the consumables (blades/batteries) that cost a lot.

Elem7
Apr 12, 2003
der
Dinosaur Gum

Mirthless posted:

18v LXT Impact Driver (XDT13Z) -- I don't know how to operate tools and I immediately put in the wrong type of bit and then got it stuck in the chuck, terribly. I think I need to disassemble this now, the vice grips have done nothing. I give this one a don't loan me your tools out of five stars.

I'm really having a hard time imaging what "wrong type of bit" could even mean or how you'd get it stuck in an impact driver chuck. A small driver bit with no retention ring isn't "the right bit" but there's nothing for the chuck to grab on so it they can't get stuck far as I know. I'm going to ask what may be a stupid question but do you realize that you need to pull the black part of the chuck, the sleeve, away from the driver at the same time you remove the bit right?

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Congrats on buying the correct brand!

Though I have begun to supplement my Makita tools with Ryobi cordless for yardwork stuff

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
I spent an hour in the attic earlier today and my crappy little USB rechargeable fan gave up the ghost, so I went out and bought the Milwaukee M18 fan and what a game changer. I spent the next 3 hours in the attic working and stayed reasonably comfortable during it. A+++ should have bought years ago.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Motronic posted:

What exactly is the use case/target market for that thing? It looks like a terrible gmicky driver with a bunch of low quality bits sold at a premium price.

Looks like a schlemiel magnet to me.

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans

Elem7 posted:

I'm going to ask what may be a stupid question but do you realize that you need to pull the black part of the chuck, the sleeve, away from the driver at the same time you remove the bit right?

NGL if this is the answer it's going to make my day. Great reviews though.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Elem7 posted:

I'm really having a hard time imaging what "wrong type of bit" could even mean or how you'd get it stuck in an impact driver chuck. A small driver bit with no retention ring isn't "the right bit" but there's nothing for the chuck to grab on so it they can't get stuck far as I know. I'm going to ask what may be a stupid question but do you realize that you need to pull the black part of the chuck, the sleeve, away from the driver at the same time you remove the bit right?

Yes, I do know how to release a chuck. I am pretty embarassingly inept with tools, but not THAT inept! It's a small driver bit with no retention ring, it's too small to grip onto and too wedged in there to get out. I think the driver slightly stripped the bit and then it got twisted in there at an odd angle.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Mirthless posted:

Yes, I do know how to release a chuck. I am pretty embarassingly inept with tools, but not THAT inept! It's a small driver bit with no retention ring, it's too small to grip onto and too wedged in there to get out. I think the driver slightly stripped the bit and then it got twisted in there at an odd angle.

Call me an old fashioned country boy but have you tried heating the socket up with a torch and yanking while hot? This is totally the kind of thing I would do.

.....wear gloves.

Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

I always wanted to be a Wizard

Mirthless posted:

Needle nose vise grips?

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Choose your affinity:

1. Mechanic - heat it up, apply lubricant, use a pipe to increase leverage
2. Welder - weld on a piece of scrap to give better grip / leverage
3. Machinist - mill out the offending part
4. Carpenter - hammer on it

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!
My impact driver occasionally does that if I'm really driving in something tough. Usually can get it unstuck my using it in reverse for a second and then yanking on it with channel locks.

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer
I get those little hex bit drivers stuck all the time in my impact driver. Usually whacking it on the side breaks it loose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedi425
Dec 6, 2002

THOU ART THEE ART THOU STICK YOUR HAND IN THE TV DO IT DO IT DO IT

Mr. Mambold posted:

Looks like a schlemiel magnet to me.

My hands aren't the greatest, and I spend a fair amount of time dealing with tiny electronic screws at home and work. But this is why I ask these things, hah.