Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

From writing completion to print I don't know what the timeline can be at it's quickest, but there's no way they delay it and wouldn't have it out at the first possible date.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse
Must be some sort of placeholder date, although I'm not sure why they would put a date on such a highly anticipated book like that without it being an absolute sure thing.

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

Yeah, if it ever comes out it'll be like 3 months between GRRM sending in his manuscript and the book being shipped, at most. They even have the cover and everything done already.

Not that we'll ever know for sure!

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Happy Landfill posted:

Must be some sort of placeholder date, although I'm not sure why they would put a date on such a highly anticipated book like that without it being an absolute sure thing.

My guess was that if that date does have meaning and isnt just totally made up it might be something pulled out of context from one of GRRMs contractual agreements as a deadline for something. Which means nothing beyond maybe hell have to give back some petty cash and go back to his railroad.

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012

mind the walrus posted:

GRRM holds the distinction of being a sort of ur-modern neckbeard. Dude has letters published during Marvel's top run of the Silver Age. Dude has the first ticket bought for the first NYC comic-con. According to his wiki bio-- which I did shamelessly read out of curiosity for this post-- he was a chess guy and even a Writer-in-Residence at a New England Arts College for a few years. He went to a lot of Science Fiction/Fantasy Conventions too, so it's not like fanfic would have been totally unheard of to him. Those can also be really cutthroat environments and titles to hold, and to have survived as long as he has, there's no way he hasn't had to cut a few to get/retain his social status. I mean it's in all the text he writes.

So while I would never call him a classy guy, it does strike me as an extremely blessed Baby Boomer life/career that lends itself very easy to Classism and with that the fear of something that could conceivably minimize him and all the little bric a brac he's accumulated as an Important Person of Some Esteem. I don't think it's a coincidence that most of his antagonists in ASoIaF boil down to "backstabbing rich person" and "mindless horde who probably do have their own culture and goals and I acknowledge that but I still do not want them anywhere near me please."

Fanfiction writers are part of that horde. They're at once the nourishment that are clearly a kind-of part of the ecosystem, but also the greatest threat to the way of life he has grown immensely accustomed to with fancy titles and codified locations/players, where sure things are socially inflexible but if you play your cards right you might be able to have a decent life... as long as those dirty hordes never manage to get inside.

Idk it tracks in my brain.

This twitter thread making some observations about his Hugo afterparty and how it changed with the fame and cash he recieved from the show is relevant to this: https://twitter.com/fozmeadows/status/1382904636844085248

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
Hmm money and fame, and a judicious amount of smoke blown up the arse, can make someone a self important pompos shitstain?

:monocle:

Coquito Ergo Sum
Feb 9, 2021

ninjoatse.cx posted:

Google tells me Winds of WInter is coming out November 13th. Is that still the most up to date news?

No. There are a bunch of sites that are created to collect popular google searches, and TWOW release date is a pretty common one. Most of the time, the site will be a Google Translated word soup meant to trick search engines, and it'll have a date tucked away in the text somewhere.

TWOW's official release date will always be :shrug:

Coquito Ergo Sum fucked around with this message at 17:00 on May 24, 2022

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

High Warlord Zog posted:

This twitter thread making some observations about his Hugo afterparty and how it changed with the fame and cash he recieved from the show is relevant to this: [snip]

This bit nails it on the head. Martin isn't the problem but he does represent a larger problem within this section of the community and industry and when you have as much money as he does now it's impossible to ignore that level on influence on things like this.

I don't think he's a malicious dude but he does come off as out of touch sometimes

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I'm SURE walking around in a respirator at all times in an (even more) OPEN BIDENing society is definitely not a recipe for disaster and anyone that's not cool with getting harassed by CHUDs are cave dwellers. I've got good brain!

Happy Landfill posted:

he does come off as out of touch sometimes

He owns a god damned railroad

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Happy Landfill posted:

I don't think he's a malicious dude but he does come off as out of touch sometimes

He's rich enough to hire someone to tell him what a loving idiot he is, the fact he chooses not to do it is on him.

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

pseudanonymous posted:

He's rich enough to hire someone to tell him what a loving idiot he is, the fact he chooses not to do it is on him.

Ultimately, yes.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

That thread is fascinating, not just because of the obvious insight to how much GRRM's relative status/influence is poisoning the groundwater, but because it's such a weirdly consistent human behavior.

Like if you removed references to the big dick Hugo awards and the opulence, and told me this was about some rando mod/admin on some rando Discord server or subreddit, the mechanics would be functionally indistinguishable.

Happy Landfill posted:

Ultimately, yes.
Nothing more dangerous than a Baby Boomer who has gotten used to getting what they want.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

pseudanonymous posted:

He did have that person. He stopped working for him 11 years ago (hmm very mysterious timing) and went on to write 9 complete books since.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

I laughed at this one:

https://twitter.com/fozmeadows/status/1382906659127775235?s=20&t=l9o1wiCDw_izswqxDR5vqg

You know, considering GRRM's whole bibliography

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

He did have that person. He stopped working for him 11 years ago (hmm very mysterious timing) and went on to write 9 complete books since.
Wait, who is this?

pthighs
Jun 21, 2013

Pillbug

Happy Landfill posted:

Wait, who is this?

Ty Franck, co-author of The Expanse series. Oddly, right around the time he left GRRM , Ty churned out a ton of books and GRRM stopped writing.

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

pthighs posted:

Ty Franck, co-author of The Expanse series. Oddly, right around the time he left GRRM , Ty churned out a ton of books and GRRM stopped writing.

poo poo, that's right! I had completely forgotten about that. Didn't he co-author a book with Martin? Or was that the other Expanse guy?

Edit: It was the other Expanse guy

Happy Landfill fucked around with this message at 18:33 on May 25, 2022

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

pthighs posted:

Very suspicious. Evidently Mr. Franck got some dirty blackmail material on GRRM and he's been forcing him to ghost-write books for him ever since, instead of finishing TWOW like he wanted.

TERFherder
Apr 26, 2010

удар в шкурові кульки

DaysBefore posted:

Be cool if George could get around to doing his own take on the story
:sickburn:

pseudanonymous posted:

It requires a certain personal strength not to surround yourself with yes-men. For someone as entrenched in his fantasy niche as he is, and who clearly craves the attention and popularity that brings him - yeah. That ain't gonna happen.

St0rmD posted:

And his REAL flagship series (we all know where his heart really is) is a literal fanfic shared universe, except it has the imprimatur of "organization" and a "publishing contract" (so of course he can collect royalties from it).

...That is based on a RPG someone else created. There is no honor amongst thieves. Entertainment people rarely acknowledge the extent to which they stand on the shoulders of the giants who came before them. Artist/Writer/musicians are the loving worst, because so much of their identity is based on their works, and plagiarism is the ultimate sin. Except that to have a shared visual / written experience we are necessarily pulling from a shared resource. To see yourself as both a part of that, and also independent from it - that creates a lot of internal dissonance.

Davros1 posted:

I laughed at this one:

https://twitter.com/fozmeadows/status/1382906659127775235?s=20&t=l9o1wiCDw_izswqxDR5vqg

You know, considering GRRM's whole bibliography

Jesus how fun that must have been, sitting around at a Con having everyone stroke your ego, and then she just rolls in and shits in their beers.

There is something terrifying about the younger generations ability to sympathize with your point of view, while also telling you while it is hosed. It's like the velvet glove over the iron fist. Or maybe a surgeon telling you that leg needs to come off. I can't put my finger on it. Maybe it's the sincerity of it? Or the penetrating observations from a hyper-self-aware generation about the power structures that support the establishment? It always has just a hint of the flavor of "re-education" camps or a religious purge.

Happy Landfill posted:

He's in his late 60s - he's the loving old guard - it would be odd if he wasn't out of touch, reliving victories and moments from his 20s, making GBS threads on a younger generation, and slowing being pushed out.

TERFherder
Apr 26, 2010

удар в шкурові кульки

NihilCredo posted:

Very suspicious. Evidently Mr. Franck got some dirty blackmail material on GRRM and he's been forcing him to ghost-write books for him ever since, instead of finishing TWOW like he wanted.

My old theory was that Ty mostly wrote AFOC, and that was why GRRM would never be able to finish another book after Ty got tired of being the GRRMs lackey. I also picture GRRM inking an old school deal-with-the-devil, to produce the best selling fantasy trilogy since Tolkein. But the fine print really just said "3 books" not a completed trilogy, so now GRRM has wandered for years, unable to truly complete the 4th book before his death. ( It made more sense before ADWD came out... but still - AFOC / ADWD is at BEST 1 book, and a poorly edited incomplete one at that )

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010

TERFherder posted:

There is something terrifying about the younger generations ability to sympathize with your point of view, while also telling you while it is hosed. It's like the velvet glove over the iron fist. Or maybe a surgeon telling you that leg needs to come off. I can't put my finger on it. Maybe it's the sincerity of it? Or the penetrating observations from a hyper-self-aware generation about the power structures that support the establishment? It always has just a hint of the flavor of "re-education" camps or a religious purge.

It's the same experience as having your children grow up and tell you all about your faults. They love you, but they know you with an intimate and external view. It can be a shocking, disconcerting and humbling experience.

TERFherder
Apr 26, 2010

удар в шкурові кульки

Collateral posted:

It's the same experience as having your children grow up and tell you all about your faults. They love you, but they know you with an intimate and external view. It can be a shocking, disconcerting and humbling experience.

I hear that. I've only had to experience a touch of it, but I get what you are saying. Beyond that though - being GenX - I don't think we ever did it that way. It's a means of communicating that I've seen younger GenX do - ones who spent lots of time in therapy or advocating for social justice or whatever - but they were definitely the forefront. Sort of like 4th wave feminism. Or the revolution eating it's young.

It's a language that used to be niche that has spread like fire with the internet, to being almost a default way of talking on twitter. It feels a bit Orwellian and Newspeak. Overall I find it encouraging, but there is this weird edge to it. It's a generation that intuitively understands that by controlling the definition of words, you control the thoughts and discussion that follow.

I know I've personally experienced the feeling of shifting from young and progressive, to uh - whatever happens when you are grocery shopping and they are playing Joy Division. I fully expect my children to send us off to the reeducation camps at some point, and I'm OK with that. Unironically the denim-suede secret police.

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

TERFherder posted:

He's in his late 60s - he's the loving old guard - it would be odd if he wasn't out of touch, reliving victories and moments from his 20s, making GBS threads on a younger generation, and slowing being pushed out.

Had this whole post typed up trying to explain this but I don't think it was coming off well so I'll just try to say that as a Millennial like Meadows I think there is a tendency to want to sympathize with where people are coming from and recognizing that there is more to a situation than what's in front of our faces. I think this comes from being blamed as a Generation on everything wrong with the economy and society and Boomers just not getting that society isn't working in our favor like it did for them (or they do know and they don't care!). I know Millennials aren't the only generation to get this treatment from Boomers but that's the only way I can think to explain it. Maybe. I don't know for sure. I can only speak for myself when I try to say that I tend to lead towards being more sympathetic when I can afford to do so. I think in general Martin still has some goodwill built up by virtue of not being a huge rear end in a top hat about the new generation coming it. Out of touch and out of his depth? Sure. But he's not an all-out rear end in a top hat from what I can see.

Martin still has a lot of goodwill where, say, Jk Rowling does not. No one would be giving her the benefit of the doubt if she was in Martin's shoes and who knows, maybe he just has the sense not to comment on poo poo like that publicly. Twitter was a mistake and who would have thought I would I feel even slightly more favorably towards Stephanie Meyer instead of Rowling, just by virtue that Meyer isn't on Twitter!

That said, I didn't realize that how talking like that could come off to people. I think you're right, it does kind of have that, "Well, you're being nice to my face" vibe.
I don't know if any of that helps but I thought I'd throw my :words: in there.

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

There's a interview with fucker himself in The Independent.you had to register to read it but the headline was :

George RR Martin: ‘I don’t understand how people can come to hate so much something that they once loved’

Doctor Faustine
Sep 2, 2018
Jesus gently caress those Foz Meadows posts are smug and annoying.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
George really hosed up inviting too many people to his stupid parties. Cut down those +1s and stick to the day ones.
Oh, I guess they're mostly all dead.

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Whizzing Wizard posted:

George RR Martin: ‘I don’t understand how people can come to hate so much something that they once loved’

Obvious joke aside I thought it was a pretty universal experience

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Whizzing Wizard posted:

There's a interview with fucker himself in The Independent.you had to register to read it but the headline was :

Without the registration wall:

https://12ft.io/proxy?q=https%3A%2F...s-b2088451.html

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

:whitewater:

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Doctor Faustine posted:

Jesus gently caress those Foz Meadows posts are smug and annoying.
Yeah bro, that bitch should really know her place and watch her mouth. What right does she have to advertise an opinion on things? What has she done? We should totally gently caress her day up for talking out of turn. I'm so glad you said something. We were all thinking it, you just had the courage to loving say it you know? You're so loving brave. So so loving brave to stand up to that smug, annoying piece of poo poo. Are you getting blowjobs for this? You should be getting blowjobs for this. Everyone we've got to line up and give him a blowjob for daring to say what no one else would. Courageous loving bastard.

TERFherder posted:

I hear that. I've only had to experience a touch of it, but I get what you are saying. Beyond that though - being GenX - I don't think we ever did it that way. It's a means of communicating that I've seen younger GenX do - ones who spent lots of time in therapy or advocating for social justice or whatever - but they were definitely the forefront. Sort of like 4th wave feminism. Or the revolution eating it's young.

It's a language that used to be niche that has spread like fire with the internet, to being almost a default way of talking on twitter. It feels a bit Orwellian and Newspeak. Overall I find it encouraging, but there is this weird edge to it. It's a generation that intuitively understands that by controlling the definition of words, you control the thoughts and discussion that follow.

I know I've personally experienced the feeling of shifting from young and progressive, to uh - whatever happens when you are grocery shopping and they are playing Joy Division. I fully expect my children to send us off to the reeducation camps at some point, and I'm OK with that. Unironically the denim-suede secret police.
Well, for some it's absolutely just The Sopranos "the only thing Tony got out of therapy was learning how to use the language of psychology as another tool to assert his will and hurt others" but that's obviously not the box all or even most youngs fit into.

Fact is Millennials and younger have very little institutional power outside of those above a certain class level, and everyone knows it. Boomers have a death grip on power and they're very selective about which Xers and Millennials (and now Zoomers) they let accrue meaningful social power-- if you don't play ball and/or do work as an impotent jester, you ain't going anywhere. So when you have multiple generations that are conditioned to being stunted, hobbled, handicapped, stifled, even neglected and abused.... they're going to use your weight against you. And they're going to be really loving good at it. Best part is the older they get the more they realize that no matter how much they want, unless they suddenly get real good at inventing private nursing robots they're still gonna have to play nice and can't just keep trying to hobble the only people available to take care of them for end of life.

Twitter posts against the 65+ multimillionaire who wrote the fantasy rape novels? That's enough of a "punching up" that the only reason I can possibly imagine sympathizing with GRRM and quibbling over her tone is if you're old enough to recognize that even the best success isn't going to have you looking the same to everyone and that yeah... even your worst critics are gonna have a point, and your best critics are going to make you feel naked, vulnerable, pathetic, and small. I've had it happen to me. It loving sucks. But it's time to quote Jacob's Ladder-- if you want to see demons, you'll see demons, or you can see it as something that can set you free and onto the next stage. Yeah some absolute shitheads are going to be at the forefront-- the social climbers, the mean girls, the opportunistic bloodsuckers--but if you're half the hot poo poo you pretend to be, you can work through it without defaulting to being petty or spiteful.

Rule of thumb for that? Judge actions, not just words, when assessing intent.

As this fat old gently caress once said, words are wind.
Half a loving decade I love it.

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Showing up again and again at a party to whine about it on twitter, like a normal person.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Free food and drinks is the only thing GRRM has produced in a decade

Doctor Faustine
Sep 2, 2018

Kuiperdolin posted:

Showing up again and again at a party to whine about it on twitter, like a normal person.

Thats basically the Hugo-going SFF crowd in a nutshell. Only YA is more toxic and annoying.

Doctor Faustine fucked around with this message at 02:16 on May 30, 2022

Coquito Ergo Sum
Feb 9, 2021

Kuiperdolin posted:

I genuinely don't know what their point was. That was very Grandpa Simpson-y.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

I stopped reading it 12 tweets in and sill had no clue wtf they were bitching about

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Maybe GRRM would have found it easier to write if he didnt take so much time off working to gently caress around and be famous before becoming a bitter old man sad that he now regularly sees himself in every old as gently caress mentor and inspiration hes had dying of old.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

mind the walrus posted:

Yeah bro, that bitch should really know her place and watch her mouth. What right does she have to advertise an opinion on things? What has she done? We should totally gently caress her day up for talking out of turn. I'm so glad you said something. We were all thinking it, you just had the courage to loving say it you know? You're so loving brave. So so loving brave to stand up to that smug, annoying piece of poo poo. Are you getting blowjobs for this? You should be getting blowjobs for this. Everyone we've got to line up and give him a blowjob for daring to say what no one else would. Courageous loving bastard.

Well, for some it's absolutely just The Sopranos "the only thing Tony got out of therapy was learning how to use the language of psychology as another tool to assert his will and hurt others" but that's obviously not the box all or even most youngs fit into.

Fact is Millennials and younger have very little institutional power outside of those above a certain class level, and everyone knows it. Boomers have a death grip on power and they're very selective about which Xers and Millennials (and now Zoomers) they let accrue meaningful social power-- if you don't play ball and/or do work as an impotent jester, you ain't going anywhere. So when you have multiple generations that are conditioned to being stunted, hobbled, handicapped, stifled, even neglected and abused.... they're going to use your weight against you. And they're going to be really loving good at it. Best part is the older they get the more they realize that no matter how much they want, unless they suddenly get real good at inventing private nursing robots they're still gonna have to play nice and can't just keep trying to hobble the only people available to take care of them for end of life.

Twitter posts against the 65+ multimillionaire who wrote the fantasy rape novels? That's enough of a "punching up" that the only reason I can possibly imagine sympathizing with GRRM and quibbling over her tone is if you're old enough to recognize that even the best success isn't going to have you looking the same to everyone and that yeah... even your worst critics are gonna have a point, and your best critics are going to make you feel naked, vulnerable, pathetic, and small. I've had it happen to me. It loving sucks. But it's time to quote Jacob's Ladder-- if you want to see demons, you'll see demons, or you can see it as something that can set you free and onto the next stage. Yeah some absolute shitheads are going to be at the forefront-- the social climbers, the mean girls, the opportunistic bloodsuckers--but if you're half the hot poo poo you pretend to be, you can work through it without defaulting to being petty or spiteful.

Rule of thumb for that? Judge actions, not just words, when assessing intent.

As this fat old gently caress once said, words are wind.

Half a loving decade I love it.

mind the walrus

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

banned from Starbucks posted:

I stopped reading it 12 tweets in and sill had no clue wtf they were bitching about

gurm being a self-absorbed gently caress with bad opinions and bad taste

not sure why they took so many words to say something very simple and obvious

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

ninjoatse.cx posted:

mind the walrus

Yup. My rear end is more delicious and meaty than anything you've eaten in the last month. What of it?

Jazerus posted:

For a thread about dorks who have read thousands of words, y'all seem hellbent on being obtuse when it suits you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Faustine
Sep 2, 2018

Jazerus posted:

gurm being a self-absorbed gently caress with bad opinions and bad taste

Thats like Foz whole deal, taking something that could/should be said in like 3 tweets max and making an interminable thread about it.