Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009

garycoleisgod posted:

More egregious is her brushing past Obi-Wan at arms length and then rounding a corner, seeing a ladder and completely climbing the ladder before Obi comes round the corner.

I legit think the show is unfinished or something happened in post. Maybe Old Ben was supposed to be delayed fighting somebody or something, but that got cut/unfilmed so we are left with ???

The following roof shoot out is also odd as the Inquisitor is heading to it, very tense, will our heroes get away in time?
...And then she just arrives far too late, I guess she was too far away and never a threat? But then why cut to her parkouring her way over while exciting music plays? That can't have been how it was planned, something happened, she got delayed fighting a bounty hunter or something surely and then that got cut?

But what is actually on screen just misses those needed connective bits, so it all feels awkward and disjointed.

Something was off about the entire second chapter... And the fact that it's so much shorter than the first means it's likely they did cut a lot of stuff or didn't bother (re)shooting whatever's missing. The street sets felt too cramped and too spacious at the same time. Unless the inevitable duel with Darth Vader was directed by someone else... I'm not too optimistic about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Picture, in your head, a menacing anthropomorphic dinosaur. He's firing a gatling gun in a cyberpunk setting - mere seconds away from killing the protagonists! That's theoretically a pretty 'cool' image. Or, at least, like 'cool' meme nonsense.

So, once you've got that image locked in, mouse over the spoiler below.

The whole show looks like this! It's bad!

You can't fool me, that's a frame from the DVD of your beloved AVP:R!

(But yeah, that looks like poo poo. There's... something? centre frame, maybe with a gun? So we don't get a dramatic close-up of Raptor Guy rising into frame and swinging his Space Minigun at the camera, I'm guessing.)

Junkozeyne
Feb 13, 2012
In 30 years there will be enough star wars content that Obi wan and Vader had a duel every week between episode 3 and 4 and also biweekly karaoke night
Quality of the show aside whoever thought a rematch Made even the slightest thematical sense is a hack.

Can't wait for the Yoda series where he will train 30 padawan and kill a sheev clone or whatever

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Junkozeyne posted:

Can't wait for the Yoda series where he will train 30 padawan and kill a sheev clone or whatever

In his dreams, the tiny green poo poo

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
Obi-Wan and Vader roleplaying their first time like an old married couple.

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

garycoleisgod posted:

More egregious is her brushing past Obi-Wan at arms length and then rounding a corner, seeing a ladder and completely climbing the ladder before Obi comes round the corner.

I legit think the show is unfinished or something happened in post. Maybe Old Ben was supposed to be delayed fighting somebody or something, but that got cut/unfilmed so we are left with ???

The following roof shoot out is also odd as the Inquisitor is heading to it, very tense, will our heroes get away in time?
...And then she just arrives far too late, I guess she was too far away and never a threat? But then why cut to her parkouring her way over while exciting music plays? That can't have been how it was planned, something happened, she got delayed fighting a bounty hunter or something surely and then that got cut?

But what is actually on screen just misses those needed connective bits, so it all feels awkward and disjointed.

There is definitely stuff that has been cut that was in the leak earlier in the year. Early in Episode one, Luke and Beru were looking at trinkets and toys in the market while Owen is selling the harvest. Obi-Wan see's Luke playing with a starship and Owen makes him put it back. Also in the original script I remember Kamil's character's motivation for helping Obi-Wan was more fleshed out and not as abrupt. Glad they didn't go with the old script; which while dark in tone took place entirely on Tatooine lol

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
https://twitter.com/IGN/status/1530649426548600832

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

I wish Obi's show was just him solving the question "how did luke stay off the grid from any sith investigations in the area" by being a cleaner and just him staging dead sith as vanishings and fatal accidents to reduce interest in the area

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I really do get vibes that after The Mandalorian's success, the people who hosed the sequels into incoherence now don't have anything better to do than descend on the TV shows and 'help', hence why they become more incoherent, pandering and clearly sloppily edited.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Junkozeyne posted:

In 30 years there will be enough star wars content that Obi wan and Vader had a duel every week between episode 3 and 4 and also biweekly karaoke night
Quality of the show aside whoever thought a rematch Made even the slightest thematical sense is a hack.

It’s especially wild because there’s zero context provided for why these ‘Jedi’ people are being hunted down.

Like, okay, maybe it’s expected that we’ve all seen the prequels. But nobody finishes Episode 3 thinking “what about the anti-Jedi death squads that would pursue Obiwan forever???” It’s simply not a lingering question. The future rebels ended Ep. 3 saying “well, that sucked”, and then got to work planning next steps - without Jedi assistance. Like, why would they need the Jedi? The Jedi fuckin’ failed, miserably. New tactics were in order.

So, when you circle back to Episode 4, the Alliance has already begun winning military conflicts with simple X-wings - and the Empire is scared. The Alliance is actually gaining so much ground that Leia feels emboldened to call Vader a bitch. To his face! Meanwhile, Obiwan’s out of the picture because he’s simply old. They don’t need him.

Like, “why hasn’t this particular 60-something dude been fighting in the war???” - that’s not a question that needs answering. He retired before the rebellion existed, was forgotten by the universe, and spent his free time studying Tatooine’s native cultures or whatever. Why would anyone expect him to have been doing Spec Ops poo poo?

In trying to “fix” this “plot hole”, Disney mussed things up quite badly. Because now it’s like 8 years before New Hope and the Empire is openly broadcasting that that Jedi still exist as an organization. Like, not only do they exist, but the Empire considers them insanely powerful and dangerous.

Upsidads posted:

I wish Obi's show was just him solving the question "how did luke stay off the grid from any sith investigations in the area"

Luke is just passed off as Beru Lars’ baby. There’s nothing to explain there.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

I knew it wasnt going to be Altman's Secret Honor, but showbi-wan is p mid

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Luke is just passed off as Beru Lars’ baby. There’s nothing to explain there.

But he goes by Luke Skywalker at some point between now and Ep 4, so that'll be "interesting"

Noob Saibot
Jan 29, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Again, I still say the most likely result if they start getting out the retcon bat is to just dumpster the sequels entirely and start over.

I know right? And where do you even follow on from? Princess Palpatine trying to lead a kinder, more enlightened Space Nazi regime?

If they get out the retcon bat they should have just remade the prequels. They had a real opportunity to do that especially if they even wanted to use original cast members most of which are still alive and now at the correct age to play those characters. Instead they double downed on it because hurr gen z and some millennial poo poo for brains tricked themselves into liking it and keep spending on prequel related merch. Same poo poo will happen with sequels.

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker

Noob Saibot posted:

If they get out the retcon bat they should have just remade the prequels. They had a real opportunity to do that especially if they even wanted to use original cast members most of which are still alive and now at the correct age to play those characters. Instead they double downed on it because hurr gen z and some millennial poo poo for brains tricked themselves into liking it and keep spending on prequel related merch. Same poo poo will happen with sequels.

this is a good point and partly why I don't think they're going to retcon anything unless there's a major change of leadership, because they would have already.

But honestly they don't need to wipe the sequel trilogy, as lovely as it ended up being overall. I'd still like to see the remaining characters in a new story. I'd just also like to have some amount of confidence that it's a well constructed story.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Noob Saibot posted:

lol, I'd loving love to see what these clowns would have made of a prequel trilogy

Captain Jesus
Feb 26, 2009

What's wrong with you? You don't even have your beer goggles on!!

jisforjosh posted:

But he goes by Luke Skywalker at some point between now and Ep 4, so that'll be "interesting"

The first time he uses that name is when he meets Leia in ANH. We can assume that he went by "Luke Lars" before and only called himself Skywalker when he set out on the path of adventure.

On a different note, in the Obi-Wan show, Leia's cousin refers to droids as "lower life form", acknowledging that droids are alive. Step-up from the Mandalorian, where the leggy R2 stated to Mando that he's not a "living thing".

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I really do get vibes that after The Mandalorian's success, the people who hosed the sequels into incoherence now don't have anything better to do than descend on the TV shows and 'help', hence why they become more incoherent, pandering and clearly sloppily edited.
Well that and they went from making one live action and one animated Star Wars show/season a year and now they're making like 4 a year. You can see the same execs just shoving things out the door on the Marvel side too.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Junkozeyne posted:

Legends never truly left us, In our pride and arrogance we just refused to see. Now our eyes are open and all is as it should be. Clone Emperors, Vader having duels with every character on a weekly basis.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

jisforjosh posted:

And had showed his grief counseling chops when he met Anakin

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

I loved the inquisitors arguing about how your position matters and where you come from is very important when Darth Vader you know... exists

Man the inquisitors seem real drat incompetent unless they were dealing with way less competent fools like the kidnappers.

Still confused at Bail showing up pleading for him to do all the work to find her and won't even lend a starship or came with him.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Ghost Leviathan posted:

What on earth are you talking about? You think that the people involved with the sequels weren't involved in The Mandalorian in the first place? Fans have some bizarre hate boner for a mysterious cabal of meddling executives that they can blame all the stuff that they don't like on and claim that everything that they do like managed to somehow get past them by the skin of its teeth. If you want to complain about Kathleen Kennedy just do it, but also know that narrative is a fantasy, too. You're delusional if you think she or "they" were hands off at any point in the development of the first season of Mandalorian. Reality just doesn't support this butthurt narrative.

The shows are getting worse and sloppier because they are developing like 10 of them at once and the lessons they learned from fan reactions to the sequels is that they'll eat up any old slop if it has enough fan service in it—as proven by Book of Boba Fett being their most-watced show, plus now the crowd reaction for the trailers at Celebration. "Babu Frick?? HOLY poo poo"

The first season of Mando was (arguably) a step above because it was risky and they took their time to develop it instead of rushing out a first draft like BoBF. Also probably because it recycled a bunch of material from Lucas's 100 written episodes of his unproduced bounty hunter TV show, but that's just speculation. The second season was hurt by trying to be 6 backdoor pilots at once.

If you drop the idea that this is supposed to be prestige TV and realize that this is the new EU it'll go a lot easier for you.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Ghost Leviathan posted:

lol, I'd loving love to see what these clowns would have made of a prequel trilogy

We already saw the Disney prequel remake; they called it Solo: A Star Wars Story!

lol

Kemper Boyd
Aug 6, 2007

no kings, no gods, no masters but a comfy chair and no socks
I recently rewatched Ep2 and 3 (can't really bother with TPM), and I have to say that AotC is somehow worse than I remembered it.

It somehow manages to be a film that deals with everything except for what is supposed to be the plot, and all the stuff Obi-Wan discovers during his detectivin' field trip to Kamino and Geonosis is promptly ignored by everyone. Sure, it's intended that it's all Sheev pulling the strings in the background, but the film doesn't at any point engage with those plot threads, Obi-Wan never follows up on who the hell Sifo-Dyas was, or who this Tyranus character is and who even paid the Kaminoan bills. No one else seems interested either: Conehead, Mace Windu and Yoda all ignore that part of the action, so we can get a scene where Yoda mumbles "Begun, the Clone War has" and that is kind of a war he himself started? And of course, ROTS never picks up on that whole "well why the hell did someone buy us a clone army?" thing later.

It's a series of events that just serve as a springboard to get to the next part of the plot, and then there's stuff like Padme just ignoring the fact that her boyfriend just did a crime against humanity, the almost weird comedy beats in Shmi's death scene, and so on. Padme is against a military for completely unexplained reasons, and you'd expect there to be some conflict about that, but there isn't. Same as the scene where Obi-Wan is talking with Dracula, the scene plays out in an incoherent manner: is Dracula trying to trick Obi-Wan, or is he actually honest? Why would he talk about Sith Lords anyway? Is he actually working against Sheev, somehow? We are never told why the hell he's even talking with Obi-Wan about all of this.

The core ideas there are solid, but there's really just so much sloppy first-draft tier writing there that everything falls flat and nothing really makes sense beyond "otherwise the movie wouldn't happen."

ROTS is plain boring for the most part, i had to take an hour's break mid-film to watch some Seinfeld, Dracula dies by laser sword and contributes nothing to the film, there's a strange thing going on where them being captured, laser swording themselves free on the bridge and landing the Separatist ship really doesn't need to be in the film at all. Anakin goes inside minutes from "what have I done?" to "yeah Sheev i'll go kill some kids for you, no big deal." Padme has really nothing to do in the movie apart from dying randomly, there's the strange insinuation that Anakin is jealous about Padme talking to Obi-Wan, which also really doesn't go anywhere. Jimmy Smits is in the film. He doesn't actually do anything, but watching his scenes what with the Jedi Temple attack, it actually gives interesting context to what's going on from a POV that isn't one of the protagonists.

I think the funniest thing to take from those two movies is that Sheev spent like five or six years grooming Anakin to be his apprentice, and first day on the job, he gets laser sworded by his old boss and catches on fire. A lot of wasted effort there, Sheev, you should have picked someone with at least some brains.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Obi-Wan already knew who Sifo-Dyas was. He's some guy who died ten years ago. Yoda didn't "kind of start" the clone wars, he just straight-up started the clone wars. Dooku was trying to convince Obi-Wan to join up with him because he was a double agent who was secretly working against Palpatine. Anakin does consider killing kids a big deal, which is why when he finds the kids in the Jedi temple and realises he's going to have to kill them he looks so upset about it.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

Kemper Boyd posted:

and then there's stuff like Padme just ignoring the fact that her boyfriend just did a crime against humanity,

yeah, she's a liberal, op

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Kemper Boyd posted:

Obi-Wan never follows up on who the hell Sifo-Dyas was, or who this Tyranus character is and who even paid the Kaminoan bills. No one else seems interested either: Conehead, Mace Windu and Yoda all ignore that part of the action, so we can get a scene where Yoda mumbles "Begun, the Clone War has" and that is kind of a war he himself started? And of course, ROTS never picks up on that whole "well why the hell did someone buy us a clone army?" thing later.

They do follow up on it: the clone army is a secret government project commissioned by the senate and funded by Republic taxpayers.

Syfo-Dyas was a middleman in the deal between the Senate and Kamino. They sent a Jedi because doing secret ops in the guise of diplomacy is what Jedi do (see: Episode 1).

Obiwan doesn’t care about the clones because his job is simply to find Tyrannus. Tyrannus is the name of a high-level seperatist, and Obiwan successfully tracks him to Geonosis.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
Padme is best read in episodes 2 and 3 as a direct personification of the Republic. She talks a big game about the importance of democracy. She dies when the Republic dies. She’s a little titillated by Anakin advocating for authoritarianism because, you know.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

General Dog posted:

Padme is best read in episodes 2 and 3 as a direct personification of the Republic. She talks a big game about the importance of democracy. She dies when the Republic dies. She’s a little titillated by Anakin advocating for authoritarianism because, you know.

Along these lines, the single actually-good scene in the Obiwan show is when Jimmy Smitts is having a banquet in his futuristic space-castle to raise awareness of human slavery, while using droid slaves, and then a guy calls him a ‘bleeding heart.’

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
I don't much like the kid referring to droids as "lesser life forms" because he shouldn't think of them as being alive at all

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Droid are alive, but very few see them that way.

Padme doesn't think Anakin did a crime against humanity because she doesn't think of the sand people as humans, or as people. I don't think we've seen anyone in Star Wars who does, aside from Din and Boba.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

2house2fly posted:

I don't much like the kid referring to droids as "lesser life forms" because he shouldn't think of them as being alive at all

Calling robots biologically inferior is actually perfect racist dumbassery, and I choose to read it as a Cnut reference.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

The fact that basically everyone feels the need to stick a restraining bolt on their droids shows they're at least aware that they have a measure of free will and therefore sentience.

Junkozeyne
Feb 13, 2012

Kemper Boyd posted:

I recently rewatched Ep2 and 3 (can't really bother with TPM), and I have to say that AotC is somehow worse than I remembered it.

It somehow manages to be a film that deals with everything except for what is supposed to be the plot, and all the stuff Obi-Wan discovers during his detectivin' field trip to Kamino and Geonosis is promptly ignored by everyone. Sure, it's intended that it's all Sheev pulling the strings in the background, but the film doesn't at any point engage with those plot threads, Obi-Wan never follows up on who the hell Sifo-Dyas was, or who this Tyranus character is and who even paid the Kaminoan bills. No one else seems interested either: Conehead, Mace Windu and Yoda all ignore that part of the action, so we can get a scene where Yoda mumbles "Begun, the Clone War has" and that is kind of a war he himself started? And of course, ROTS never picks up on that whole "well why the hell did someone buy us a clone army?" thing later.

It's a series of events that just serve as a springboard to get to the next part of the plot, and then there's stuff like Padme just ignoring the fact that her boyfriend just did a crime against humanity, the almost weird comedy beats in Shmi's death scene, and so on. Padme is against a military for completely unexplained reasons, and you'd expect there to be some conflict about that, but there isn't. Same as the scene where Obi-Wan is talking with Dracula, the scene plays out in an incoherent manner: is Dracula trying to trick Obi-Wan, or is he actually honest? Why would he talk about Sith Lords anyway? Is he actually working against Sheev, somehow? We are never told why the hell he's even talking with Obi-Wan about all of this.

The core ideas there are solid, but there's really just so much sloppy first-draft tier writing there that everything falls flat and nothing really makes sense beyond "otherwise the movie wouldn't happen."

ROTS is plain boring for the most part, i had to take an hour's break mid-film to watch some Seinfeld, Dracula dies by laser sword and contributes nothing to the film, there's a strange thing going on where them being captured, laser swording themselves free on the bridge and landing the Separatist ship really doesn't need to be in the film at all. Anakin goes inside minutes from "what have I done?" to "yeah Sheev i'll go kill some kids for you, no big deal." Padme has really nothing to do in the movie apart from dying randomly, there's the strange insinuation that Anakin is jealous about Padme talking to Obi-Wan, which also really doesn't go anywhere. Jimmy Smits is in the film. He doesn't actually do anything, but watching his scenes what with the Jedi Temple attack, it actually gives interesting context to what's going on from a POV that isn't one of the protagonists.

I think the funniest thing to take from those two movies is that Sheev spent like five or six years grooming Anakin to be his apprentice, and first day on the job, he gets laser sworded by his old boss and catches on fire. A lot of wasted effort there, Sheev, you should have picked someone with at least some brains.

This is what cinemasins style reading of movies does to a person

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

2house2fly posted:

Droids are alive

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009
I like to believe there's a middle ground between CinemaSins and "they talked about feelings and said something in support of a cause I defend and I clapped".

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Yoda says droids rights

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
The way the Obi-Wan show is shot reminds me of tv in late 2000s where they were shooting in 16:9 but framed everything so that it would still look okay cropped to 4:3.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Xenomrph posted:

Droids are alive

Yes, but people in the setting don't believe they are, they believe droids are appliances. It's like calling a dishwasher a lower life form

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

2house2fly posted:

He's a failcousin from liberal nobility I think this works

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

General Dog posted:

The way the Obi-Wan show is shot reminds me of tv in late 2000s where they were shooting in 16:9 but framed everything so that it would still look okay cropped to 4:3.

it's a lot of overly wide shots that look "prestigious" and show off the greenscreen