Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Jedit posted:

... there is no such item in my game.

Have you finished the Moongolow stage? Once you finish that there'll be a new stage unlocked with an item called the Yellow Sign, collect that and you'll see the gold and silver rings and the 2 bolts that evolve the Lancet and Laurel appear in each stage.

njsykora fucked around with this message at 11:07 on May 30, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~
Your lovely shrine maiden fox wife, Tamamo no Mae, is here to help!

Jedit posted:

If you have access to Moongolow, you need to do a run using a non-secret character (no Red Death, no Leda, etc.). At around 14 minutes, a special angel-looking boss will appear, and killing this boss will take you to Holy Forbidden. If you die in Holy Forbidden, you do not need to do Moongolow again, just pick a non-secret character and it'll show up in stage select.

Upon completing Holy Forbidden, you'll get the Yellow Sign. Now, on every stage you'll be able to find the Metaglio pieces and the gold and silver rings. The Metaglios are needed to evolve the laurel, and the rings are needed to evolve the clock lancet. Unlike other evolutions, you need to fully level the weapon AND their respective passives (both of them) to evolve laurel and lancet, so keep that in mind.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Is the patch out of beta yet?

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~
Your lovely shrine maiden fox wife, Tamamo no Mae, is here to help!

It should be, I got the Steam achievements for everything- beta server doesn't have the Steam version of the achievements, just the in-game versions.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Jedit posted:

Do you have the bonus stage in the pool area with the merchant? Beat it with a non-secret character

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Ask me about my STD collection!
I think I might be bad at this game.

I'm finding a lot of conflicting information when I try to do some research, probably in part to the rapid evolution of this game. One consensus is that defense items are largely worthless and garlic is highly debated.

Seems like early game before you've really developed your character garlic may be more valuable than late when you have everything unlocked.

I have yet to evolve a weapon but I almost got there, just needed to kill a boss.

A lot of it is the luck of the draw but I've been focusing on the wands and the bible. Game is fun as hell even when my luck "forces" me down a different character development path than I'm aiming for.

My best runs are when I've found a duplicator or two. Any recommended and up to date weapon tier lists that you highly agree with that you can point me in the direction of? Or any other newbies advice you want to throw at me. I've unlocked the library but only went there once before heading back to the forest. I've unlocked three characters and since I thought the Magic Wand was alright I've just been using Imelda.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

goferchan posted:

Do you have the bonus stage in the pool area with the merchant? Beat it with a non-secret character

I had to go through Moongolow again, but I got it and evolved the weapons on the next run.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
Garlic, if you go by numbers is, low damage by 30 minutes.

Garlic, if you go by usefulness and the ability to kill in the first 10 minutes, is incredible and helps you boost your level higher than you could otherwise.

You do not need garlic, but it can help.

Otherwise, defensive items generally have one problem. They do not kill. Killing is the point of the game. Garlic has a special spot as a defensive item that does damage. So all projectiles are nullified with garlic. Half of the enemies that are low hp are nullified with garlic.

The bible comes close to doing what garlic does but will have gaps in its area and in between books until way later. It is more useful damage wise, less useful defense wise.

For weapon advise, having something that does aoe or pierce is nice, and anything that does big single target damage is nice. But don't go for too many weapons early on. You can but it is a bit better to focus 1-3 weapons.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Jelly posted:

My best runs are when I've found a duplicator or two. Any recommended and up to date weapon tier lists that you highly agree with that you can point me in the direction of? Or any other newbies advice you want to throw at me. I've unlocked the library but only went there once before heading back to the forest. I've unlocked three characters and since I thought the Magic Wand was alright I've just been using Imelda.

Library is probably easier than the first stage when you're new for what it's worth. If you keep traveling left eventually you'll find the Tome item (passive cooldown reduction) laying on the floor which is good in basically any build. Garlic is totally fine when you're still struggling to evolve weapons and clear a stage, it just doesn't scale as well as other things late-game or when playing with all the unlockable difficulty modifiers on, but if it helps you get to that late game stage it can be a great pick.

BrianRx
Jul 21, 2007
I love this game but I wish there was more activity after the 15 minute mark when all of your abilities are maxed out and you're just collecting money bags. Either you can stand in one place for the next 10-15 minutes and beat it with no further input or you can't do it at all. Once your character stops developing, you're either powerful enough to reach 30 minutes or you're not and no amount of movement or positioning will get you through the last minute. I kind of wish leveling was more spread out or there were options for swapping powers at some cost to address different enemy types, but I'm sure that would have ramifications that aren't immediately obvious.

Eels
Jul 28, 2003

Shootenanny

Third World Reagan posted:

Garlic, if you go by numbers is, low damage by 30 minutes.

Garlic, if you go by usefulness and the ability to kill in the first 10 minutes, is incredible and helps you boost your level higher than you could otherwise.

You do not need garlic, but it can help.

Otherwise, defensive items generally have one problem. They do not kill. Killing is the point of the game. Garlic has a special spot as a defensive item that does damage. So all projectiles are nullified with garlic. Half of the enemies that are low hp are nullified with garlic.

The bible comes close to doing what garlic does but will have gaps in its area and in between books until way later. It is more useful damage wise, less useful defense wise.

For weapon advise, having something that does aoe or pierce is nice, and anything that does big single target damage is nice. But don't go for too many weapons early on. You can but it is a bit better to focus 1-3 weapons.

Garlic has two other defensive bonuses- it amplifies both knockback and freeze, so crowd-control attack weapons are much more potent, and the evolved form also causes some enemies to drop health on kill, further enhancing survival. I can ramp up 2-3 other high DPS weapons, and I almost always take garlic. If I get garlic up and running early I basically never die before the 30 minute mark even with full curse.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

BrianRx posted:

I love this game but I wish there was more activity after the 15 minute mark when all of your abilities are maxed out and you're just collecting money bags. Either you can stand in one place for the next 10-15 minutes and beat it with no further input or you can't do it at all. Once your character stops developing, you're either powerful enough to reach 30 minutes or you're not and no amount of movement or positioning will get you through the last minute. I kind of wish leveling was more spread out or there were options for swapping powers at some cost to address different enemy types, but I'm sure that would have ramifications that aren't immediately obvious.

The latest patch added some things to help with this, in my experience. Every map now has four more extra passive upgrades to get, and they're very spread out. Two of them are just extra curse, but the silver ring and left half rune are straight upgrades even without the laurel or lancet to evolve.

Plus you get gold eggs from the guardians of all four, so it's worth running around and grabbing them.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Evolved Garlic is really funny if you build for maximum AoE. Concetta + the growing AoE arcana + candelabra + silver ring = Hilarity.

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Ask me about my STD collection!
Finally got my first win with evolved garlic, lightning ring, fire wand and axe. Was also using Santa water, and the time freeze thing.

Axe/death spiral does work.

Man, that first break through where you're just wrecking everything feels great. Finally get to experience the "Ha, ha, yes!"

Earned 3000 gold. Yas.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Jelly posted:

Finally got my first win with evolved garlic, lightning ring, fire wand and axe. Was also using Santa water, and the time freeze thing.

Man, that first break through where you're just wrecking everything feels great. Finally get to experience the "Ha, ha, yes!"

Earned 3000 gold. Yas.

:D

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Garlic + book, especially evolved is godlike early game. Late game there are better combos but a lot of the really good ones rely on upgrades / arcana which aren't available to you for awhile yet. Especially because the first unlockable arcana boosts garlic and your healing.

Also a key newbie tip -- always look to evolve your weapons. If you don't know the passive item that upgrades it you can check here:

https://vampire-survivors.fandom.com/wiki/Evolution

A full set of evolved weapons will make short work of any map you jump into. But before you have upgrades, garlic can help you get to that point.

Feldegast42 fucked around with this message at 00:22 on May 31, 2022

ArashiKurobara
Mar 22, 2013

Infinity Gaia posted:

Evolved Garlic is really funny if you build for maximum AoE. Concetta + the growing AoE arcana + candelabra + silver ring = Hilarity.

Yeah I did a run the other day where I just straight up built for Big and things that are funny that way and it was a lot of fun:

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003

Jelly posted:

Earned 3000 gold. Yas.

Yeah, the tier list you were looking for is basically "axe good, pentagram bad (if you're not hunting Toasty)". Everything else drifts in and out of relevance based on patch, build, character, map, etc.

That said, it's also a matter of breakpoints and categorization. There are two ur-categories of weapon, aimed and AoE. Within aimed there are forward, backward, nearest target, and a fixed ordinal direction, within AoE there are screenwide, random, and player-centered. Within those it's vital to have a forward or a fixed ordinal that kills trash in 1-2 shots depending on rate of fire so you can clear a path forward, and further if it's a fixed ordinal that it aims in a direction you can follow it on the current map; and a screenwide or player-centered that kills before things can catch up to you.

This is where the garlic debate comes from; it's amazing early in runs until you start stacking curse or playing innately cursed characters, at which point it stops keeping waves off your tail and giving you a free first 10 or 20 levels.

You're also going to want healing at some point in high curse unless you happen to be using the current patch's broken combo, because eventually your AoE has trouble keeping up (screenwide is low damage and low tick rate in general, player-centered often has dead zones that things can get knocked into.) This is garlic, farts, whip, or cats with a specific arcana and build path; the thing with whip is that while it's pretty bad by itself, it's the only one of the four that gets you anywhere into bosses, and it scales off the same arcana that supercharges axe, so.

IMO Song of Mana is probably the best option for safety AoE right now, since its damage keeps up with most pre-15-minute waves even at full curse (exceptions: library dullahans/witches and ironically most forest waves) and its gap is predictable and easy to work around--you just run directly into things for 5 seconds, run away from them for 3, repeat. Later on it has a hard time clearing, but so do the other safety AoEs, and at least it brings a slow effect/evolves off the curse accessory (and curse is good, it's more gems faster) as opposed to the undertuned Pummarola. It's also one of the rare weapons in the game that aims vertically, something that's especially useful in the tower.

E: also, pie man with exactly 2 points or 1 level in speed and then built for minecart area is hilarious exactly once.

Mandoric fucked around with this message at 00:41 on May 31, 2022

Steelion
Aug 2, 2009
I can't remember the last time i picked up garlic, but i also use the 50% curse upgrade, so it's basically dead weight in most situations

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Wow, I’ve been avoiding axe because I thought it was bad lol.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

Unevolved axe is kinda doodoo, but the Death Spiral is awesome.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

Regular axe is middling at best, but Death Spiral is probably the best of the main blade weapons, although I think you could argue for Thousands Edge based on specific utility required.

How does Iron Blue Will work with those, by the way, for the other people into the endgame? Does it just bounce around a bunch and then pierce?

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost
Or you could just ditch curse after you get the one achievement and not have to worry about stuff becoming HP sponges all the time.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Nemo2342 posted:

Or you could just ditch curse after you get the one achievement and not have to worry about stuff becoming HP sponges all the time.

I haven't done the math or anything but it feels like the increased XP from higher enemy volume helps you scale quickly enough to keep up with the boosted HP, and by the time you've got your build together you're basically guaranteed a win whether you're stacking curse or not.

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003
The bounce options feel a bit underwhelming, IMO; most everything that bounces has a hard cap on shots on screen, so it's more converting a directional to AoE clear than straight ramping its effectiveness. For upgraded axe it makes it act like a very slow, but very beefy, Runetracer.

And yeah, the exp increase is key, especially if you're going particularly greedy builds. (You're also locked into A LOT of curse no matter what if you're using this patch's new additions; my most recent run ended at 190% (!) of which 140% was just from items. And didn't evolve last weapon until the 29-minute boss, even though I wasn't doing guns or birds.)

Mandoric fucked around with this message at 02:30 on May 31, 2022

Steelion
Aug 2, 2009
curse is literally the only thing that remotely threatens a run i'm not deliberately gimping, and even then it takes base curse, a skull, and both curse bonus items to get there

i still get the thrill of effortlessly mowing down enemies, and at the end of the game my dps numbers are bigger, win-win

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

serefin99 posted:

Don't farm and definitely don't save edit just to buy golden eggs. The dev has explicitly stated they're just a small extra thing for people who want to keep playing even after exhausting the new content, they will NOT be necessary for future stuff. If you check the subreddit (admittedly a terrible idea even on the best of days) you can see a bunch of posts of people who grinded or save edited a ton of eggs and now their favorite characters are ruined because there's no way to take that back.

While this is very sage advice, I plan on doing this solely to red death who's supposed to be an overpowered character anyways.

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003
FWIW, if you're save-editing it should be very easy to take back. Just knock the EGGDATA set out of your save file and redo the checksum/reload.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer
One other note for newbies - secondary items sitting in stages use one of your item slots if you pick them up as one of your first six items, but if you pick them up after they can act as a seventh or higher item. So for example you can add tome and stone mask to any build you want in the library. This also means that you can plan around this not only for a stronger (if later capping) build, but can later enable weapon evolutions that aren't online from your original level up selections.

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003
Yep. Which also means you shouldn't pick any of the floor items you want from leveling, and that ideally as long as you can maintain sufficient damage you want to beeline to the furthest/most beneficial one ASAP and then farm around it until you're full.

Note that if you're doing guns but also opting into arcana scaling rather than their native scaling on Tiragisus in inventory, anything after it in inventory will shift left when you run out--so you need to get at least one Tiragisu→evolve gun→get second Tiragisu if you didn't before→eat both Tiragisus→level into a 7th accessory (counting the eaten Tiragisu)→then pick up the floor item.
Also note that if there are multiple copies, they will grant levels to 5 but disappear when your level hits 5. So like for book, if you get lucky and all 4 that can spawn, putting more than one level in is "wasted" (not that it really matters, you just get one fewer gold bag that run.)

Mandoric fucked around with this message at 04:07 on May 31, 2022

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Mandoric posted:

Yep. Which also means you shouldn't pick any of the floor items you want from leveling, and that ideally as long as you can maintain sufficient damage you want to beeline to the furthest/most beneficial one ASAP and then farm around it until you're full.

Note that if you're doing guns but also opting into arcana scaling rather than their native scaling on Tiragisus in inventory, anything after it in inventory will shift left when you run out--so you need to burn the Tiragisu before picking up any extras, refill the slot from leveling, and only pick up the floor item when you have a full 6 PLUS both Tiragisus eaten.

People keep saying the guns and birds are good but I really feel like Bible and Santa water are just way better most of the time

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

The "extra items if you pick them up after your slots are filled" deal is one of those things that sounds kind of arbitrary and fiddly at first but actually works out to be really interesting design and add a strategic later.

Like in the case of Library -- I am always happy to have Tome as part of one of my loadouts and if I'm going for it normally I'd usually pick it fairly early, which I can't do anymore if I want it as my "extra" item. Additionally, usually I want to pick a new weapon over a new passive on level-up, but this adds an incentive to fill up my passive slots ASAP so I can start grabbing ground items.

This is why I really like playing with curse and don't consider it just the enemies being HP sponges -- while you can consistently outscale them, it requires keeping your DPS up and you'll eventually eat poo poo if you're just leveling up clovers and attractorb at the beginning . It makes for some interesting decision-making that makes the actual order you get your items in matter a lot

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

People keep saying the guns and birds are good but I really feel like Bible and Santa water are just way better most of the time

Oh yeah almost definitely, but they're pretty fun and the guns got even more fun with the last round of arcana released. Hope the birds get some love soon

Tetrabor
Oct 14, 2018

Eight points of contact at all times!
The nice thing about Skull's Curse is you can banish it from your pool if your build isn't putting out the DPS. This means you can also upgrade Song of Mana without having to go full Skull.

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

Guns have a nice curve over the game, IMO. Especially when combined with Song, the fire pattern pre-evolve makes for a good combo of one killing anything vertical from you and then the other killing anything that tries to walk into the safe spot you follow, and later while both lack DPS alone they... well, used to come together to do the job but if you're opting into lancet/laurel evolves don't and guns are the half of the combo that's a worse starter and therefore a better skip.
Water's absolutely amazing for big AoE once evolved, and Attractorb is very nice, but unevolved it doesn't provide anywhere near as predictable safety.
Bible is kinda finicky in that with enough curse you need something that can hit outside of it to soften targets up, and also something that can hit inside it to deal with what gets through, and if you have something that can do each a buzzsaw at that range just kinda loses its impact. It's very good as a midpoint in progression for when garlic isn't quite cutting it but you're also not getting gold bags by minute 12, though.
Birds are just plain overbudgeted on damage. Yes that's nice you did a theoretical 2240 damage over your fire, what in the game that isn't the boss that you're pointing your directional at has 2240 HP?

(Only blue gun, plus the arcana that makes it freeze, plus the arcana that makes freezing cause explosions, is loving nuts right now, but it's probably getting nerfed next patch.)

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Mandoric posted:

(Only blue gun, plus the arcana that makes it freeze, plus the arcana that makes freezing cause explosions, is loving nuts right now, but it's probably getting nerfed next patch.)

I did a run with that combo, plus the fire arcana that makes the red gun's bullets explode. Purposefully avoided the tiragisu so I could keep my super explosion guns going :v:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I do find it is weird that birds are the only evolution in the game that doesn't require a passive AND levels up after you upgrade. It's just a strange outlier.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Who's good for clearing Holy Forbidden? I'm bad at not getting hit.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

I took Poppea and cleared it easily.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Who's good for clearing Holy Forbidden? I'm bad at not getting hit.

If you keep getting hit, Pugnalo has an inherent speed boost and is good at breaking the light sources without needing to slow down/stop, so you'll hopefully get plenty of chicken that way.