Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Phlegmish posted:

I was not expecting there to be any green in the suburban hellscape that is nearly all of Flanders, we usually do terribly when it comes to this sort of thing. It's a major source of pride for us to have up to several wolves (I think it's still single digits)

That’s almost more wolves than California has.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 09:59 on May 30, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

All that is yellow is the same ancient mountain range.

Except for Iceland. They’ve got hot new volcanic mountains. This map can’t fool me.

Falukorv
Jun 23, 2013

A funny little mouse!
Its sad that the northwestern corner of the Iberian peninsula has like 5x the wolf population of whole Scandinavia.

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

This really emphasizes how the show played fast and loose with travel times. I could've believed westeros was the size of Britian

Threadkiller Dog
Jun 9, 2010
Most of northern scandinavia is carefully curated for tree farming, game hunting and winter sports.

We dont really do wilderness well, considering how empty it all is. Wild animals enter at their own peril, especially ones who mess with game, trees or hikers.

Threadkiller Dog fucked around with this message at 15:03 on May 30, 2022

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

FishBulbia posted:

This really emphasizes how the show played fast and loose with travel times. I could've believed westeros was the size of Britian

are we sure it's not? It's based on Britain, why did he decide to make it bigger in a medievalish setting?

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Wikipedia has a much greater spread.

wolves and the EU cannot coexist :O

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
There used to be an interactive map that mapped the traffic fatalities in the united states for I think a decade? It was pretty great in how the UI was; you could adjust for speeding, distracted and alcohol I think and there'd be little different colored peoples to show victims and such. I think I found it but I also don't think it's working?

http://metrocosm.com/10-years-of-traffic-accidents-mapped.html

Is it just me?

RedSnapper
Nov 22, 2016

Regarde Aduck posted:

are we sure it's not? It's based on Britain, why did he decide to make it bigger in a medievalish setting?

Fantasy/ sci fi writers have no sense of scale and don't want to do maths.

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time
It's useless to think too hard about the worldbuilding details in Fantasy universes, but Westeros feels big from the range of climates and cultures it has (from uninhabitable permafrost to hot arid desert).

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

Regarde Aduck posted:

Half on it is based on Britain. And during that westeross is the size of Britain.
The other half is based on Europe. And during that Westeross is the size of Europe (including Scandinavia).

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

Randallteal posted:

It's useless to think too hard about the worldbuilding details in Fantasy universes, but Westeros feels big from the range of climates and cultures it has (from uninhabitable permafrost to hot arid desert).

Also early on we see how big a deal traveling accross the continent is. Going from King's Landing to winterfell is a rare and long journey.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Randallteal posted:

It's useless to think too hard about the worldbuilding details in Fantasy universes

I just started reading through the Discworld series for the first time, and I can confirm this.

If the oceans' water is constantly falling off the Rim, where does it keep coming from, since so much of it never gets a chance to evaporate and re-enter the rain cycle?

And another thing, I'm not sure the giant turtle is scientifically sound

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Milo and POTUS posted:

There used to be an interactive map that mapped the traffic fatalities in the united states for I think a decade? It was pretty great in how the UI was; you could adjust for speeding, distracted and alcohol I think and there'd be little different colored peoples to show victims and such. I think I found it but I also don't think it's working?

http://metrocosm.com/10-years-of-traffic-accidents-mapped.html

Is it just me?

No, I'm getting a mostly blank page as well. By the way, this is a really sobering statistic:

quote:

This map displays 373,377 points, one for each person who died in a vehicle crash between 2004 and 2013.

:catstare:

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Phlegmish posted:

I just started reading through the Discworld series for the first time, and I can confirm this.

If the oceans' water is constantly falling off the Rim, where does it keep coming from, since so much of it never gets a chance to evaporate and re-enter the rain cycle?

And another thing, I'm not sure the giant turtle is scientifically sound
Magic.

That's the official authorial answer too. The magical field around the world traps the water and it comes back as rain.

quote:

"Really? Well, we can do without magic for a couple of years, can't we?" said Mr Slant, managing to suggest that this would be a jolly good thing, too.
"With respect," said Ponder, without respect, "we cannot. The seas will run dry. The sun will burn out and crash. The elephants and the turtle may cease to exist altogether."

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

That's fair enough - I think at one point Pratchett straight up says that the world-building isn't supposed to be internally consistent.

I'm rather enjoying the books so far, although the first two were much more violent than I was expecting.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

That is a fuckload of rain to replenish ocean flowing off the world levels of drain.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
Oh yay, traffic deaths. Have a politically loaded map!

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!
I'm gonna guess that's a combo of generally shorter distances being driven and more public transportation options in Europe.
Which does seem to align with the BosNyWash corridor being light green in the US (except for Delaware, wtf).

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I was not expecting that - for one, I thought Belgium would be doing worse. The US generally performing so poorly compared to the EU surprises me as well, I always got the impression that they take things like DUI more seriously over there.

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Thanks for playing Alone in the dark 2.

Now please fuck off

Phlegmish posted:

I was not expecting that - for one, I thought Belgium would be doing worse. The US generally performing so poorly compared to the EU surprises me as well, I always got the impression that they take things like DUI more seriously over there.

They do take DUI's very seriously but if you're not drinking and you run someone over it's easier to get away with it, they often blame the victim in these situations.

Edit: I learned this from that show "Adam ruins everything" so I don't have any source on that but they're generally truthful in that show and they do provide sources themselves.

Kamrat fucked around with this message at 17:34 on May 30, 2022

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Phlegmish posted:

impaired driving isn't the only thing that contributes to road safety. the design of the road itself is just as important if not moreso. generally the illusion of safety in automobiles actually increases danger because it leads to people driving at higher speeds and less cautiously. This map especially is about road deaths instead of just traffic accidents and its per capita too. if you look at the states that are highest its states with large rural populations and large amounts of open flat-ish land with the exception of kentucky where the rural population is concentrated in mountains or rolling hills. americans, rural especially, nowadays also tend to drive huge rear end trucks or SUVs that they over-estimate the capabilities of or can roll over p easily if driven improperly. that leads to situations where you think you can drive much faster than you actually safely can so if there is a traffic accident it's much more likely to cause a fatality.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:
The big SUVs also seem to be a sort of prisoner's dilemma-arms race thing to make yourself safer, at the cost of the safety of everyone else.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Regarde Aduck posted:

I think the intent was to make it mega-britain so there being so many different climates and cultures within it was believable.

But since GRRM isn't good with distances or scale or numbers it got blown up to being about as large as South America which makes several cultures believable but one big kingdom with medieval levels of communication less so.

This was probably closer to the original vision

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Grape posted:

I'm gonna guess that's a combo of generally shorter distances being driven and more public transportation options in Europe.
Which does seem to align with the BosNyWash corridor being light green in the US (except for Delaware, wtf).

Delaware has less than a million people, but the primary artery of the east coast, I-95, runs slightly through it. I don't know this for sure but I bet that skews the numbers a bit.

Delaware gets theirs, though. They charge a $4 toll at the Maryland border, whichever way you're going. That's about a dollar for every 3 or 4 minutes you're on 95 in Delaware.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Phlegmish posted:

That's fair enough - I think at one point Pratchett straight up says that the world-building isn't supposed to be internally consistent.

I'm rather enjoying the books so far, although the first two were much more violent than I was expecting.

I used to have a printed map of Discworld and in the booklet that came with it the artist said he originally assumed the same - that he could just draw whatever, as long as it looked good, it didn't matter if the geography was consistent. But then Pratchett ended up micromanaging the project and constantly interjecting his objections why this terrain feature wouldn't exist there and why this part should be a desert etc. So apparently he put in quite a bit of thought.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Phlegmish posted:

It's getting more and more common for judges to decline to revoke licenses for DUI offenses because it's considered overly punishing, what with the complete lack of infrastructure for anything other than cars.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

FreudianSlippers posted:

I think the intent was to make it mega-britain so there being so many different climates and cultures within it was believable.

But since GRRM isn't good with distances or scale or numbers it got blown up to being about as large as South America which makes several cultures believable but one big kingdom with medieval levels of communication less so.

This was probably closer to the original vision

The worst thing about Westeros is that it's just a loving perfectly cardinally oriented rectangle with some squiggles along the edges to make it look "natural", but the effect is that it looks even more jarring.

And then Easteros or whatever is also a god drat rectangle, but squat instead of tall.

steinrokkan fucked around with this message at 18:11 on May 30, 2022

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Delaware has less than a million people, but the primary artery of the east coast, I-95, runs slightly through it. I don't know this for sure but I bet that skews the numbers a bit.

I dunno. Rhode Island has only slightly more people, and even more I-95 (and some of the worst drivers!)

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

Grape posted:

That's not enough to explain the difference.

From what I have read on the topic the problem is everything:

• Sprawl increasing the distances people drive
  • Unsafe road design (key word: Stroad) that mixes high-velocity car traffic with other modes of transportation and lots of intersections
  • The standard for cars is much lower. In Germany cars have to be inspected regularly and a car deemed not road worthy can't be operated
  • In bumfuck nowhere drunk driving is absolutely common, which is lethal in combination with the above
  • Streets in much of Europe are narrower, which naturally reduces speeds and thus the lethality of conflicts
  • Driver education is a joke in the USA

That's not even an exhaustive list, but it really is a holistic problem where everything from zoning to car culture conspires to maim people in traffic.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

PittTheElder posted:

That is a fuckload of rain to replenish ocean flowing off the world levels of drain.
It all falls on the disc equivalent of Wales.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

PittTheElder posted:

I guess the Circumfence limits the flow a bit.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

Antigravitas posted:

That's not enough to explain the difference.

From what I have read on the topic the problem is everything:

• Sprawl increasing the distances people drive
  • Unsafe road design (key word: Stroad) that mixes high-velocity car traffic with other modes of transportation and lots of intersections
  • The standard for cars is much lower. In Germany cars have to be inspected regularly and a car deemed not road worthy can't be operated
  • In bumfuck nowhere drunk driving is absolutely common, which is lethal in combination with the above
  • Streets in much of Europe are narrower, which naturally reduces speeds and thus the lethality of conflicts
  • Driver education is a joke in the USA

That's not even an exhaustive list, but it really is a holistic problem where everything from zoning to car culture conspires to maim people in traffic.

Driving with a phone in your hand is also a lot easier in an automatic because you don't have to change gears every few seconds at said stroad intersections.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Antigravitas posted:

Oh yay, traffic deaths. Have a politically loaded map!

Too bad Canada isn't included here.

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

There are also fewer licensed drivers in most European countries afaik.

Count Roland posted:

Too bad Canada isn't included here.

Here you go!

https://tc.canada.ca/en/road-transportation/statistics-data/canadian-motor-vehicle-traffic-collision-statistics-2019

Multiply fatality rate by 10 in the provincial table at the bottom to get a direct comparison.

Makes sense that the territories are outliers but I’m surprised that the maritimes are the worst among the provinces, I guess it’s the cold+wet weather combo apocalyptic storms.

Starks fucked around with this message at 19:50 on May 30, 2022

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

It definitely isn't less reckless driving lol (eyes mediterranean europe)

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Starks posted:

There are also fewer licensed drivers in most European countries afaik.

Here you go!

https://tc.canada.ca/en/road-transportation/statistics-data/canadian-motor-vehicle-traffic-collision-statistics-2019

Multiply fatality rate by 10 in the provincial table at the bottom to get a direct comparison.

Makes sense that the territories are outliers but I’m surprised that the maritimes are the worst among the provinces, I guess it’s the cold+wet weather combo apocalyptic storms.

There's a lot of drinking in the maritimes, and also old people who shouldn't be driving.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Grape posted:

It definitely isn't less reckless driving lol (eyes mediterranean europe)

I had never seen anything like what I witnessed in Italy, holy poo poo. Of course then it got topped by Korea, which got absolutely rinsed by China.

(Then friends in China told me India puts even China to shame, which is hard to imagine)

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Grand Fromage posted:

I had never seen anything like what I witnessed in Italy, holy poo poo. Of course then it got topped by Korea, which got absolutely rinsed by China.

(Then friends in China told me India puts even China to shame, which is hard to imagine)

have you been to thailand yet? or egypt?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Number one in deaths is Georgia (the country) apparently. Huh. Two is Russia. Duh.

I like how if you YouTube traffic accident videos it’s 90% russian dash cams