Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Horizon Burning posted:

lol i just watched a bunch of clips, that poo poo is dire. also, they're doing a deepfake james earl jones voice?

Ach christ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Horizon Burning posted:

lol i just watched a bunch of clips, that poo poo is dire. also, they're doing a deepfake james earl jones voice?

Oh no

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

If only he knew how to force dash...

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Got this in the mail over the weekend, it’s a signed oversized card from 20+ years ago.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Actually deep fake JEJ sounds pretty great.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Darko posted:

Yeah, they are. I have no idea what they're even doing, although I did just read the whole show was rewritten because it was originally all set on Tatooine and was too much like Boba Fett so they realized they had to do it all over.

Maybe they should've set Boba Fett somewhere else, or just not made it.

CelticPredator posted:

Actually deep fake JEJ sounds pretty great.

I know that in Rogue One and Rebels he very much sounded like a 90 year old man.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Yeah. It was bad. This sounds pretty fine. It sounds robotic and stilted. More Anakin than Vader and that’s fine.

I hope Hayden gets an actual scene though. I know he’s under that suit but he ain’t doin much lol

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Just him reading space newspapers about his ol pal while sipping on bacta juice

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
Obiwan 3 has Vader just murdering random farmers for no raisin while saying, like, "you made me do this! I'm going to make you suffer!!!"

I don't think they 'get' the character.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Why can't they make these shows good? What happened? I was so excited!

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Obiwan 3 has Vader just murdering random farmers for no raisin while saying, like, "you made me do this! I'm going to make you suffer!!!"

I don't think they 'get' the character.

His random murder stuff seemed really hosed up. I could see him like, force choking people and maybe tossing them but snapping their necks? Although I guess the Inquisitors are chopping hands for no reason. Seems they are making the Empire more evil then needed but I dunno. Evil is evil.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.
It’s kinda weird, given that the ST seemed to go out of it’s way to avoid making the First Order too evil.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Was there some outcry for Obi-Wan to use a blaster and get in gunfights that I didn't know about?

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

jisforjosh posted:

Allegedly the old script had a fallen Tusken Jedi that wanted to live peacefully on Tatooine, sensed Luke and Obi-Wan on the planet and sought to kill them to prevent Inquisitors from coming to the planet.

This sounds way cooler than what they're doing.

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Was there some outcry for Obi-Wan to use a blaster and get in gunfights that I didn't know about?

It's a whole bit based on a couple of throwaway lines in the OT that has been run into the ground, as per usual.

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem

CelticPredator posted:

I hope Hayden gets an actual scene though. I know he’s under that suit but he ain’t doin much lol

afaik its likely not hayden and some stunt double unless you see his face

Mat Cauthon posted:

It's a whole bit based on a couple of throwaway lines in the OT that has been run into the ground, as per usual.

im surprised they didn't go with the Hello There callback in this one

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Kill All Cops posted:

im surprised they didn't go with the Hello There callback in this one

We got a "Hello" at least :toot:

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Mat Cauthon posted:

This sounds way cooler than what they're doing.

What line is that?

I like the gunfights actually, though I hope we see him using his lightsaber more now that he's already used it. And at the end that he throws his gun away.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
The nicest thing I can say about the Obi Wan show is the second episode really made me want to play the Nar Shaddaa level from KOTOR2 again

I have no idea what they're going for with the 'this evil torturer really wants a promotion but her boss keeps telling her to lay off the torture a bit' subplot

Wolfsheim fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Jun 1, 2022

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
In ep4 Obi-Wan says lightsabers are better than blasters because they're less clumsy and random, "a more elegant weapon from a more civilized age". Ep3 has a gag where he kills General Grievous with a blaster and sneers "how uncivilised"

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

The blaster scenes are broadly in keeping with Kenobi's character in the prequels (an assassin).

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Why can't they make these shows good? What happened? I was so excited!

Too scared about the fans.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

CelticPredator posted:

Too scared about the fans.

I'm a fan and I don't want this. This should have been an absolute slam dunk. It's very disheartening to realize that Book of Boba is probably the normal for these shows and Mando is the exception...obviously off not a lot of data there, but jeez. Botching this easy of a lay-up is a crime.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

I'm a fan and I don't want this. This should have been an absolute slam dunk. It's very disheartening to realize that Book of Boba is probably the normal for these shows and Mando is the exception...obviously off not a lot of data there, but jeez. Botching this easy of a lay-up is a crime.

Too many hands in the kitchen in the shows. I think it's that issue of "the more Disney pays attention to it, the worse it is." Disney basically left Clone Wars and Rebels alone; they ended up pretty good, Mando started off okay but then it started driving ALL of Star Wars and now everyone is all involved instead of it just being Favreau and Filoni doing whatever. And I'm not even sure who the main showrunner of Obi Wan is or what their goals even are.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Yeah most of Mando isn't that good either (Baby Yoda and Pedro Pascal really go a long way), and the theory that the more the Disney bigwigs get involved in something the worse they make it has a lot of explanatory power (see also the trajectory of the sequels).

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Dialogue and characters can be cheesy, but I just want tighter scripts and plots and good execution. And less weird contrivances. I echo what some people have said with the latest episode of Obi-wan where both the tunnel set and the quarry fire don't really seem to jive with what is happening on the screen. Very easy for people to nitpick these things.

There are parts of Obi where the show is really working and looks good and other aspects that just don't look cinematic enough.

Thinking that Andor may be the saving grace here.

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker
I watched Obi-wan ep 3 and holy poo poo the show is still terrible. I can't even believe how clumsy virtually every part is. The entire limited series is already half over and gently caress all has happened.

I can't think of a single element that is consistently good in the show. They've introduced 0 new ideas that weren't shown in other Star Wars properties. Yeah, they went to Planet Joshua Tree in this ep which is just a generic planet and I guess also in old EU. I was starting to think this show was not just explicitly made for 10 year olds, but also made by them, until there's a moment where you see a stormtrooper get chopped in half. Maybe the kids like that now.

(specific ep3 spoiler complaints)
Angsty Inquisitor continues to just do the opposite of what every person tells her, spends her time chasing Leia, and I am not sure why she even cares about finding her bait when they already located Obi-wan. Vader now just indiscriminately force chokes people at random to seem menacing and it just looks hokey as hell. He is also terrible at doing anything to prevent someone from escaping him by slowly jogging away. They also now apparently remove and reinstall his arms and legs from time to time. Obi-wan spends a few moments disabling a laser fence that very clearly could be walked around in 2 seconds, before trying to run away on foot. This is after he waits for the probe droid to ID him before shooting it, for some reason. Leia gets her beloved droid fixed, but does literally nothing with it other than introduce it to BoringBot. Zack Braff is a space star-nosed mole.

This episode cemented the show into hate-watch territory for me.

Jerkface posted:

There are parts of Obi where the show is really working

Honestly curious what those are.

Glottis fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Jun 1, 2022

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Who do the fans think they are, inflicting this show on the poor disney corporation

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

The thing that's killing me is the action. It's really bad. I blamed Rodriguez initially but I'll eat crow - it's clearly not his fault because it's even worse here and he's nowhere near this one. whoever they've got doing their choreography just isn't good at it. Geography, danger, and consistency all go out the window in these scenes and so nothing feels like it has any stakes or weight. It's absolutely crushed me. You can poo poo on Episode 1 all you like but that final lightsaber fight is a banger and that counts for a lot.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

I feel like the paradigm is that you do what you can in your day per episode in the disney LED hallway, there are 10 other star wars shows all competing to book it, you get what you get and leave it to the editors to salvage

HookedOnChthonics
Dec 5, 2015

Profoundly dull

Xenomrph posted:

Top Gun Maverick makes me hope that maybe, maybe, the Rogue Squadron movie/TV show/whatever will finally give us kickass Star Wars dogfights. Speaking as someone who has played an unhealthy number of hours in the Star Wars flightsims (and more arcade-ey fare as well) over the last, like, 25 years, I need that poo poo injected directly into my veins.

what does the tv/movie version of this vicarious experience offer you that you haven't already had from playing the games? like i get that i may be the wierd one out here but i don't understand why a crimson skies movie would be desireable at all either; why a film studio's 2-hour designed-by-committee recapitulation of a story ive already enjoyed would be anything to long after. what itch do you have left from all those years of gaming that seeing deepfake Denis Lawson do instead of you will scratch? or is it a more meta/functionalist thesis that movie studios are still the barometer of culture and proxy for the popularity of those story concepts & likelihood of more similar media being developed?

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
On top of feeling like fanfic this also has the Rogue One thing where it seems like it was rewritten and re-edited so much that its like a bunch of half drafts just stitched together

That scene where he meets a girl who tells him anyone lost on City Planet is never going to be found again makes you think the entire episode will be him chasing leads and doing detective things, and then seconds later a different child comes up and says "actually just talk to this guy" and he does and he finds Leia minutes later. Glad that got resolved, I would hate to think the show might feature suspense at any point lol

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Glottis posted:

Honestly curious what those are.

Ewan is great. I like kid Leia. Jimmy Smitts was really good too so far, and Edgerton. I liked all the stuff with Obi on Tatooine. Kumail's grifter was great too. Honestly the spots where the show is missing the mark is on the action side and the plotting/editing of whatever theyve shot.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

HookedOnChthonics posted:

what does the tv/movie version of this vicarious experience offer you that you haven't already had from playing the games? like i get that i may be the wierd one out here but i don't understand why a crimson skies movie would be desireable at all either; why a film studio's 2-hour designed-by-committee recapitulation of a story ive already enjoyed would be anything to long after. what itch do you have left from all those years of gaming that seeing deepfake Denis Lawson do instead of you will scratch? or is it a more meta/functionalist thesis that movie studios are still the barometer of culture and proxy for the popularity of those story concepts & likelihood of more similar media being developed?
Different visuals and character interactions for one - the video games are shown from a fixed camera perspective inside/behind the craft, a TV show or a movie allows for more dynamic presentation with different camera angles, aerial stunts, etc. It’s why something like watching Top Gun Maverick is a different experience from just playing DCS or Ace Combat, or watching the Death Star trench run or the Battle of Scarif is different from playing it in a video game.

Being able to see the characters and their facial expressions and have character interactions outside of the cockpit allows for different drama than 100% straight dogfights from a first-person perspective while all the characters are disembodied voices over the radio or silent protagonists.

I’m not saying the videogames are bad, they’re loving great and I adore them and still play the poo poo out of them, but I’d love to see what a Star Wars or Crimson Skies show in the vein of Top Gun Maverick could offer as a different experience.

Like, I’ve had some wild experiences in Squadrons where I was controlling the action, but this trailer is still rad as hell:

https://youtu.be/f2VmOqjV_7Q

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

probably because I want to see it on the big screen and not necessarily through a 3rd person cam or 1st person pov

E: Its really that simple. dog fights in movies are the goddamn poo poo

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Have you seen Top Gun Maverick? It might have some of the best action ever in a movie. Rivals Fury Road in just terms of sheer adrenaline fueled visuals. Absolute mastercraft. I absolutely cannot experience what I saw in Top Gun Maverick from some flight sim.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

I'm even more annoyed that the bad fans are being racist assholes to an actor who is both good and desperately trying to make a script that truly makes no sense work, which takes away from everyone just laughing that the show is in fact just not very good. I'm also shocked at who's writing it. For FS, one of these writers wrote one of the best thrillers in the last 20 years. I have to assume studio exes have lost their minds messing with things even more behind the scenes.

but holy poo poo was that fight scene bad. And the music sounds like a freaking temp score.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

The thing that's killing me is the action. It's really bad. I blamed Rodriguez initially but I'll eat crow - it's clearly not his fault because it's even worse here and he's nowhere near this one. whoever they've got doing their choreography just isn't good at it. Geography, danger, and consistency all go out the window in these scenes and so nothing feels like it has any stakes or weight. It's absolutely crushed me. You can poo poo on Episode 1 all you like but that final lightsaber fight is a banger and that counts for a lot.

I have to hand it to them. This TV shows makes all the movies look better, even the ones individuals don't like.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Baby Leia: “are you my dad?”

Obi Wan: “ha no, I maimed your dad.”

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Deborah Chow directed all the episodes of the series (and Chapters 3 & 7 of The Mandalorian), but that might be part of the problem. On Mando, they can (and did) have the individual episode directors off prepping with the stunt team while the Director ahead of them is shooting their episode. So without the flexibility that allows for each episode to have every shot specifically crafted and filmed by a single director, stuff needs to get delegated. There's a big difference between doing something yourself and telling someone else how to do it, especially when you're doing something creative and intuitive like filmmaking. I've definitely worked on movies where the director isn't a bad filmmaker, but the VFX suffers because they don't have the experience necessary to communicate what they want in an abstract, hands-off manner. I imagine stunt work is going to be similar. The Second Unit directors might have a shot list that they're running through to get all the necessary pieces of the action sequences, but if they don't have that innate understanding of the story that the series director does, it's not going to come together as well because they're essentially just filming it in a vacuum.

Wolfsheim posted:

On top of feeling like fanfic this also has the Rogue One thing where it seems like it was rewritten and re-edited so much that its like a bunch of half drafts just stitched together

It kind of is. This episode's writing credits are:

Episode 3 credits posted:

Written by
Joby Harold & Hannah Friedman
and
Hossein Amini
and
Stuart Beattie

Basically if there's an ampersand between two names, it means they wrote it together, but if there's the word "and", it's separate people rewriting the script.

Stuart Beattie hadn't really been announced as part of the project until the WGA posted the writers for each episode, so I don't know at what point he was involved in the project, but he's got a lot of credits for early drafts and "story by", so he might have been the first guy on the project, helping to develop some early ideas. He was involved with the writing of the first POTC movie, so Disney might just have him as a "get the ball rolling" guy.

Hossein Amini was the first one actually announced on the project back when it was supposed to be a movie directed by Stephen Daldry in 2017.
Then it was retooled into a series, with Amini staying on as writer.

Joby Harold joined the project in 2020 as the showrunner, and replaced Amini as writer. A bunch of episodes have Harold & [other writer] credits, so it seems like they brought in several writers to finish the scripts, with Harold keeping everything consistent across the episodes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Robot Style posted:

Deborah Chow directed all the episodes of the series (and Chapters 3 & 7 of The Mandalorian), but that might be part of the problem. On Mando, they can (and did) have the individual episode directors off prepping with the stunt team while the Director ahead of them is shooting their episode. So without the flexibility that allows for each episode to have every shot specifically crafted and filmed by a single director, stuff needs to get delegated. There's a big difference between doing something yourself and telling someone else how to do it, especially when you're doing something creative and intuitive like filmmaking. I've definitely worked on movies where the director isn't a bad filmmaker, but the VFX suffers because they don't have the experience necessary to communicate what they want in an abstract, hands-off manner. I imagine stunt work is going to be similar. The Second Unit directors might have a shot list that they're running through to get all the necessary pieces of the action sequences, but if they don't have that innate understanding of the story that the series director does, it's not going to come together as well because they're essentially just filming it in a vacuum.

It kind of is. This episode's writing credits are:

Basically if there's an ampersand between two names, it means they wrote it together, but if there's the word "and", it's separate people rewriting the script.

Stuart Beattie hadn't really been announced as part of the project until the WGA posted the writers for each episode, so I don't know at what point he was involved in the project, but he's got a lot of credits for early drafts and "story by", so he might have been the first guy on the project, helping to develop some early ideas. He was involved with the writing of the first POTC movie, so Disney might just have him as a "get the ball rolling" guy.

Hossein Amini was the first one actually announced on the project back when it was supposed to be a movie directed by Stephen Daldry in 2017.
Then it was retooled into a series, with Amini staying on as writer.

Joby Harold joined the project in 2020 as the showrunner, and replaced Amini as writer. A bunch of episodes have Harold & [other writer] credits, so it seems like they brought in several writers to finish the scripts, with Harold keeping everything consistent across the episodes.

This all just makes the entire project sound like a mess, and it certainly shows lol.