Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

my cat is norris posted:

IN HAPPIER NEWS, updated brooder stream!

hello!

https://i.imgur.com/sVDcX9e.mp4

hello again :yayclod:

https://i.imgur.com/QSWagk7.mp4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Roost in Peace Grumpy, you were loved.

Hope Pecks is okay. Chickens do mourn their lost flock members.

spookygonk fucked around with this message at 10:31 on May 29, 2022

mahershalalhashbaz
Jul 22, 2021

:qq: this thread, i love them, i love all the chix. and i love grumpy, may she rest in peace.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

I've always dreamed of having a large friend who would sit on anyone who tried to steal my snacks, and Grumpy lived that dream. Peaceful rest to her.

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

https://twitter.com/mellifexfarm/status/1530717089585143813?t=w6JaBjTkLEW0dxz9A1nwRg&s=19

mahershalalhashbaz
Jul 22, 2021

hatching one's first ever clutch of eggs should be a rite of passage for all humans worldwide. the magic is real

eggs are just like, little rocks. and then each little rock turns into a tiny individual with needs and opinions

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe

Antivehicular posted:

I've always dreamed of having a large friend who would sit on anyone who tried to steal my snacks, and Grumpy lived that dream. Peaceful rest to her.

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe
More chicks!

Blazer has 2

Fauna has 2 (Fauna is Blazer’s daughter from last summer)

Popcorn & her chicks got some new digs today. I caught her trying to steal Fauna’s nest of new hatchlings so she had to be moved to solitary with her babies. Her splay legged chick is doing a lot better after 3 days of bandaid hobbles. One leg still sticks out to the side a bit but it can get around just as well as the other chicks.

We have one more broody, No Hat. Her eggs should hatch this Friday.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

god i love this thread

mahershalalhashbaz
Jul 22, 2021

joburg all your birds are splendid. they all look so healthy, just perfect feathers all around.

i'm so glad to hear the spraddler is doing better! in one of my very first hatches i had a quail chick who was terminally spraddled, i tried for days to fix him but he just kept getting worse and in the end it was the first time i had to euthanise a bird i'd got really attached to. it was a brutal way to learn the importance of fixing problems straight away (and the importance of completely non-stick flooring in the brooder box). but the flipside of the tragedy is that it's so rewarding when you manage to fix a chick :unsmith:

mahershalalhashbaz
Jul 22, 2021

pictured: a fowl

mahershalalhashbaz
Jul 22, 2021

how could i get angry with that face? :kiddo:

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe
That reminds me, the fake dead crow worked! I think it’s more that it’s a weird thing hanging from the fence than a believable crow but they haven’t been back since I hung it up. I’ve heard them over at the neighbors so they are still around, just not in my yard!

City of Glompton
Apr 21, 2014

those mamas and babies are so cute!

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

Enfys posted:

They were devoted to each other, and she is now bereft and has spent the day sitting in a corner by herself chasing the other hens away if they approach her :cry:

I have had to bring Pecks inside for some TLC as she isn't doing well :(

She has been either staying in the coop or standing next to the spot I found Grumpy dead, refusing to move. She hasn't been eating or drinking.

The other chickens are behaving normally and seem healthy and well but are avoiding her completely.

I'm not sure exactly what to do with a depressed chicken, so I'm hoping a change of scenery and some attention will help. So far she's drunk and eaten a hot mash, so at least there's that. She seemed to enjoy flinging mash all over the place anyway :unsmith:

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Oh Pecks. She is grieving the loss of her Grumpy.
A change of scenery and varied snacks will help her mood (and health).

mahershalalhashbaz
Jul 22, 2021

Enfys posted:

I have had to bring Pecks inside for some TLC as she isn't doing well :(

She has been either staying in the coop or standing next to the spot I found Grumpy dead, refusing to move. She hasn't been eating or drinking.

The other chickens are behaving normally and seem healthy and well but are avoiding her completely.

I'm not sure exactly what to do with a depressed chicken, so I'm hoping a change of scenery and some attention will help. So far she's drunk and eaten a hot mash, so at least there's that. She seemed to enjoy flinging mash all over the place anyway :unsmith:
oh no, this is a tragic situation. i hope your love and friendship can mend her broken heart :h: :glomp:

mahershalalhashbaz
Jul 22, 2021

a sorrowful hen

5er
Jun 1, 2000

my cat is norris posted:

Congratulations!!!!

I think my hatch is over at 22 little quails.

We lost one overnight because of a gap in the brooder pen that I didn't realize they could fit through. Several tried to freeze themselves to death, and one managed it, sooo now my bull snake has a taste for poultry...

IN HAPPIER NEWS, updated brooder stream!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xRzxjOKs6t0

I had this work in the opposite direction for me last week. The guy I regularly get feeder rodents from for my still somewhat baby sized ball python threw in an extra hopper for me. The snake was only up for one. Over the course of two days both my kids handled the baby rat and then all the sudden we have a pet rat now too.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

:kimchi: rats make great pets

the circle of life continues

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

When getting more feed and grit at the feed store (godthat sounds farm-y!), I spotted a treat you hang for chicks. It's been looming at the chicks almost a day now. At first they were all "Nope!" but have at least gotten up the nerve to be close enough to touch it. They eat up any part I flake off (it's a solid, slightly greasy cylinder), but haven't started to associate it with The Object.

I'm sure somebody will give it an annoyed peck soon and realize that it's a giant treat. It's just frustrating that they're taking so long!

BTW, the chicks are five weeks old now, and at the awkward puberty stage. But our method of bribing them is working! Abbaye just wanted to sit on laps when we had them out for supervised lawn time. And poop. Mrs. Underbridge got hit three times, the last one a nice wet cecal poop. I managed to get away clean.

mahershalalhashbaz
Jul 22, 2021

MrUnderbridge posted:

When getting more feed and grit at the feed store (godthat sounds farm-y!), I spotted a treat you hang for chicks. It's been looming at the chicks almost a day now. At first they were all "Nope!" but have at least gotten up the nerve to be close enough to touch it. They eat up any part I flake off (it's a solid, slightly greasy cylinder), but haven't started to associate it with The Object.

I'm sure somebody will give it an annoyed peck soon and realize that it's a giant treat. It's just frustrating that they're taking so long!
they need to do a thorough risk assessment before they get peckin'

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

queso decided to break off part of his schnozz today

He's fine but he looks fkn stupid

Quails are majestic in their dumb ways

mahershalalhashbaz
Jul 22, 2021

my cat is norris posted:

queso decided to break off part of his schnozz today

He's fine but he looks fkn stupid

Quails are majestic in their dumb ways
:negative:

yesterday we had a first-time visitor to the yard. a butcherbird! the quail were fascinated! they wanted to get right up close and make friends :3:

mahershalalhashbaz
Jul 22, 2021

moose is endlessly benevolent and trusting toward the ravens, even though they have not only torn four of her friends to pieces right in front of her, but she herself has been attacked and badly injured by them twice in her very own lifetime. her forgiveness would be inspiring if it weren't so tragic

but if i wear a shirt with eyes on it, everybody panics

City of Glompton
Apr 21, 2014

MrUnderbridge posted:

BTW, the chicks are five weeks old now, and at the awkward puberty stage. But our method of bribing them is working! Abbaye just wanted to sit on laps when we had them out for supervised lawn time. And poop. Mrs. Underbridge got hit three times, the last one a nice wet cecal poop. I managed to get away clean.

we have one for our chicks (also 5 weeks old) and they love it, but not as much as Lil' Pep, who remembered it from her chick days and wanted desperately to join them in their crate when it was in her presence. i thought she just wanted to hang out with them but nope, straight for the chick stick.

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

Well, it didn't take long! There's maybe a fifth of it missing already! Sometime during the day some brave soul made the discovery and the others followed.

I bet it's an extension of that "I've got a treat!" behavior where they will run after the one with a treat and try to steal it, even as they step directly on a pile of that very treat.

"You're eating that? gently caress you, give it to me!"

5er
Jun 1, 2000

my cat is norris posted:

:kimchi: rats make great pets

the circle of life continues

They so do, but I disprefer them as pets because they will make you love them so hard, and their lifespans are so short.

In other news, I raised the feed dispenser for my 4 week old pullets about 3" higher to keep them from kicking clutter into it or digging too much feed arbitrarily out of it.

Within 3 hours, one of them has dooked directly into it.

These are intrinsically loving stupid animals.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
Honestly it's for the best, can you imagine how bleak the life of an intelligent chicken would be?

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Imagined posted:

Honestly it's for the best, can you imagine how bleak the life of an intelligent chicken would be?

Those do exist, though!

They're called parrots :)

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe
No Hat hatched 3 chicks! Her last egg is a dud, so that’s the last of this round of hatching.

Blazer and her 2 chicks will be moved to their own accommodations tonight. She stole one of Fauna’s chicks this morning (I returned it) and I don’t want her stealing any of No Hat’s chicks.

Today one of the ducklings had a health problem (maybe heatstroke? It’s better after a day in the house.) and while I was trying to determine if any other duckling was having a problem both the co-parenting moms and Popcorn Leghorn attacked me. I’m glad they are so protective but I wish they could understand I meant no harm. Three against one is no fair!

Also Blazer kicked the crap out of one of the Guinea roosters that harassed her chicks. He actually ran away from her. It was amazing.

mahershalalhashbaz
Jul 22, 2021

Joburg posted:

Also Blazer kicked the crap out of one of the Guinea roosters that harassed her chicks. He actually ran away from her. It was amazing.
:yayclod: :kimchi: our hero

guineas are the gentlest idiots except they go into a frenzy at breeding season. a few times our benevolent ziggy went after a chicken who'd tried to nest in his chosen area and i had to fight him off. he was terrifying, like a tiny cassowary. there was a light of fury in his eyes. he was a bolt of pure muscle driven to kill! blazer is a mighty warrior

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

hello, i am now taking name suggestions

it has been a week and i still have 21 healthy screaming babies

City of Glompton
Apr 21, 2014

congratulations. please name the screamiest and rudest one Scraunch

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

Honk

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

my cat is norris posted:

hello, i am now taking name suggestions

Ptolemy

Chernobyl Princess
Jul 31, 2009

It has long been an axiom of mine that the little things are infinitely the most important.

:siren:thunderdome winner:siren:

Jericho

5er
Jun 1, 2000

The Ultimate Warrior

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

So uh, there's been an issue with one of our girls we've been trying to fix for a while iwth no luck. Our smallest barred rock keeps having large red spots on her shoulders and wings and doing dye sprays hasn't been helping, been spraying her with mite treatments and other things too but I never see any of the other girls peck at her. What is going on and any suggestions besides just outright separating her until the feathers grow back?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
Eccentrica Gallumbits