Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
Do Duncan and Gurney ever hook up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Bugblatter posted:

Duncan feels nearly like an older brother and you get the sense that he’s the closest person to Paul after his parents.

This is something this movie handles way way better than the other adaptations. Having him go down fighting hand to hand instead of getting blown away by a missile is a way better way to handle that than the Lynch or Sci-Fi versions did and also fixes how like years later the Bene Tleilax were able to get enough material to make a clone in Messiah.

Bugblatter posted:

Condensing both characters would also introduce awkward plotting hurdles. Who is serving as military advisor and training Paul while Gurnac is meeting the fremen? Or visa-versa. We could have an unnamed character do the introductions, but narratively that sort of thing is better handled by a known personality, especially in film.

Fortunately the Atreides roster has this covered as there's an entire THIRD character lecturing Paul about this stuff in Thufir, and some more Stephen McKinley Henderson Thufir would have been awesome. :D

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

It's a man's game, but boys will play

Broke: Combine Gurney Halleck and Duncan Idaho

Woke: Combine Gurney Halleck and Thufir Hawat

Bespoke: Combine Gurney Halleck and Shadout Mapes

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Cognac McCarthy posted:

Bespoke: Combine Gurney Halleck and Shadout Mapes

"Moods! Moods are for cattle and well-dipping!"

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Combine all House Harkonnen into a single ginger bastard that loves knives and twinks. No, not just the Baron, Rabban, and Feyd, I mean the ENTIRE house. Even the building.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Baron von Eevl posted:

Combine all House Harkonnen into a single ginger bastard that loves knives and twinks. No, not just the Baron, Rabban, and Feyd, I mean the ENTIRE house. Even the building.

Would have to be played by Danny Elfman, but I'm on board

EvilBlackRailgun
Jan 28, 2007

Combine Chani and Stilgar IMO

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Condense the story by combining Leto with a sandworm.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Baron von Eevl posted:

Condense the story by combining Leto with a sandworm.

gently caress it, just make everyone a sandworm.

We're all here cause we like watching sandworms wreck poo poo, so let's cut to the chase and have an all sandworm cast.

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i support this government and/or service
shai hulud vs kong

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
God Zilla of Dune

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

Martman posted:

Duncan is the sexiest man ever to exist. Watching him climb a mountain causes spontaneous orgasms. Gurney is the most soulful troubadour of all time, you will instantly start weeping if he sings a sad song. Their powers can't be combined, it would just be too much.

I'm reading God Emperor of Dune for the first time and just got to the part where Leto is telling his assistant how horny his daughter is gonna be for Duncan because every woman is always horny for Duncan

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Jason Momoa

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat
He will need his beard back to sell that.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
He's the bad boy swordsman ladies love to Hayt

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Hobo Clown posted:

I'm reading God Emperor of Dune for the first time and just got to the part where Leto is telling his assistant how horny his daughter is gonna be for Duncan because every woman is always horny for Duncan

Theres hints of it before but that book is where Herbert really puts on his Women Understander hat

And sadly his Committed Homophobe oval office hat

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

It's a man's game, but boys will play

Léa Seydoux was just announced as Margot Fenring, so I assume Count Fenring is in for the sequel, and hopefully that means we get some cool Giedi Prime scenes too

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

I need two things from the Fenrings:
1) Them casually plotting horrible deeds over afternoon tea whilst having a merry old time and being very much in love.
2) "My Lord, I cannot."

Anything extra is just gravy.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Cognac McCarthy posted:

Léa Seydoux was just announced as Margot Fenring, so I assume Count Fenring is in for the sequel, and hopefully that means we get some cool Giedi Prime scenes too

Hype that we might actually get the party scene finally. It's mostly internal but some great Baron action. When the party proper starts and Fenrig says to him that "the other great houses wait for you to lead them" or whatever you can even have the Baron say a lot of that stuff to Fenrig out loud too. This movie's Thufir was amazing too so I hope we get some more of him.

Justin Credible
Aug 27, 2003

happy cat

This is an insanely minor nitpick and is really just for fun, Dune is amazing. But like.. they were just going to off Jessica right there, and then drag her body however many miles to extract the water? Seems like a waste of energy when conservation is everything and they could get her to go their under her own volition instead of using precious calories of 4 other people to carry her.

But seriously though, it ruined the whole movie.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

I kind of agree but I can't really blame the movie, it's one of the dumber scenes in the book. If anything they made a few subtle tweaks to make it a little less dumb in adaptation

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Justin Credible posted:

This is an insanely minor nitpick and is really just for fun, Dune is amazing. But like.. they were just going to off Jessica right there, and then drag her body however many miles to extract the water? Seems like a waste of energy when conservation is everything and they could get her to go their under her own volition instead of using precious calories of 4 other people to carry her.

But seriously though, it ruined the whole movie.

If she fights more than the same weight in sandbags, i.e. at all, you'd lose calories net. You're assuming she gets told to walk and she just does.

But I like to imagine that they had a little silly straw as a travel option for getting water.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
Also she could do something suicidal like tap dance on the sand so probably best just to carry her and if you gotta carry her...
:black101:

Shanty
Nov 7, 2005

I Love Dogs
Arrakis teaches the attitude of the knife - chopping off what's incomplete and saying: 'Now, it's complete because it's ended here.'

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Shanty posted:

Arrakis teaches the attitude of the knife - chopping off what's incomplete and saying: 'Lol. LMAO.'

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Shanty posted:

Arrakis teaches the attitude of the knife - choppi

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Shanty posted:

Arrakis teaches the attitude of the knife - chopping off what's incomplete and saying: 'SEND NO MONEY NOW'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6wzULnlHr8w

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I don't think it's necessarily even subtext in any of the books even that the Fremen's attitude to water conservation is as much or more about principle than practical concerns or cold hard math, even if the latter is how it started. Hell, even makes sense given how the Fremen are able to function as a society. Kinda the whole point is that they are people, who act on emotional and personal reasoning, not beep boop machine logic, and that is literally the entire reason Paul is able to do anything at all.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Shanty posted:

Arrakis teaches the attitude of the knife - chopping off what's incomplete and saying: 'Now, it's complete because it's ended here.'

God created Arrakis to stab the faithful.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.

Xiahou Dun posted:

But I like to imagine that they had a little silly straw as a travel option for getting water.

I believe it's implied that water can be recovered from corpses in the field. Maybe you just let the stillsuit do its thing to her blood as she dies from stab wounds.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Speleothing posted:

I believe it's implied that water can be recovered from corpses in the field. Maybe you just let the stillsuit do its thing to her blood as she dies from stab wounds.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

Speleothing posted:

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat
First thing that jumped out at me in this picture was that that is actually the Kyle MacLachlan carrying those dogs

Grandpa Palpatine
Dec 13, 2019

by vyelkin
I went and saw "Don't Worry, Darling" this weekend. Loved it.

My gf didn't like Florence Pugh's body type, but I suspect it is jealousy. I cannot wait to see her as thirsty little brat Princess Irulian

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
post/avatar combo

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Grandpa Palpatine posted:

I went and saw "Don't Worry, Darling" this weekend. Loved it.

My gf didn't like Florence Pugh's body type, but I suspect it is jealousy. I cannot wait to see her as thirsty little brat Princess Irulian
Wait what? :psyduck:

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Josh Lyman posted:

I'm with the gf.

I always imagined Irulian as more of a Danny DeVito-type.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

F.D. Signifier posted:

post/avatar combo

Lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grandpa Palpatine
Dec 13, 2019

by vyelkin

Josh Lyman posted:

yea she thinks she too stocky or some poo poo

I said yea, but she's the hottest tight end I've ever seen in my life

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)