Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Jelly posted:

Just unlocked the girl with the cats (Gatti Amari).

Why do evolutions just straight up not work sometimes?

Sitting here at Level 8 Gatti and Level 2 Stone Mask and chests still just dropping bullshit.

Also do not evolve gatti till you're ready to not level up anymore. the evo weapon eats gems

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~
Your lovely shrine maiden fox wife, Tamamo no Mae, is here to help!

TehWhale posted:

What's everyone's favorite build for Concetta or Pugnala? These two seem like the most fun with their might/aoe scaling except Red Death (cause that speed and HP mmm). I basically want to print gold in the bone zone. What's the best way to go about that? I've spent the past couple days grinding and unlocking every achievement and character. I have about ~200k gold saved up and only have a handful of eggs per character. Like I think maybe 5-10 on like 4 characters. I have full power ups too.

For Concetta, I usually rock Pinion/Axe/Garlic/Santa Water, and then the last two slots vary between Whip, Lightning Ring, and Fire Wand. I also take the arcana that makes your area fluctuate from -25% to +50%. It might not be the 'best' build but seeing a Soul Eater cover literally the entire screen makes me very happy.

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Ask me about my STD collection!
A few questions.

For the birds and the guns, is it just super rare to get them both? I've probably played ten 15+ minute runs in a row where I got one and not the other, and yes I've unlocked them all. Like filled out every other slot except the one I'm saving for the second bird/gun and it just doesn't show up. I evolved the guns with the character who starts with them... because she starts with them. I've yet to even get close to evolving the birds. I've evolved every other weapon (that I've unlocked) in the game long ago. Picking guns without the specific character who starts with them, or birds, appears to be a guaranteed failure.

Also Song of Mana is really underwhelming. It's evolved form seems far too slow to protect you. I just unlocked it so maybe I'm missing something but I've evolved it every time I've played that character and also died around the 13 minute mark with an evolved song every time I've played that character.

My general strategy is to focus on weapons.

Level up the weapon with the highest level. If that one isn't available, level up the next highest.

I avoid what I perceive to be bad weapons like the knife, whip, pentagram (for now) and the ones that don't evolve. Pretty much everything else is fair game.

Any major flaws to this strategy?

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Now that i've got 25 hours into this game the one thing I can say about it is how the power ups and unlocks make a huge change in the game play. First two times getting to the 30 minute mark felt like a huge achievement, and probably took me 9 hours? Now I can pretty regularly get to minute 29. They really have a multiplicative effect on how powerful your character is and it feels totally different.

Jelly posted:

For the birds and the guns, is it just super rare to get them both?

Yeah they're rare but i've definitely evolved them a few times outside of a starter, although I find guns underwhelming for the amount of effort that needs to go in to get them, and you have to spend a passive slot on revives which could be better spent on more DPS.

quote:

Also Song of Mana is really underwhelming. It's evolved form seems far too slow to protect you. I just unlocked it so maybe I'm missing something but I've evolved it every time I've played that character and also died around the 13 minute mark with an evolved song every time I've played that character.

I like it better than garlic, its a great croud control on library and tower. But almost always avoid evolving it because the skull cranks up the curse and makes the whole stage harder for very little gain.

quote:

The passives apply to all the weapons, and hence will almost always increase your DPS more than any single weapon upgrade. Also the Laurel and the Lancet, which I assume are the ones you mean by 'don't evolve' are situationally valuable. Laurel is great as a later slot filler, especially if you already have three or four solids choices. Combined with the tome the invulnerability frequency gets really beneficial for the last few minutes of the game.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Knife is pretty good on most maps. Bracer is the evolve item and it's really good for several weapons (esp. bible). My movement style is generally to group the enemies up in a ball and orbit them laterally, which doesn't on its face seem like it would be good with knife; however, the ability to carve a path in the direction I'm facing both keeps my orbit clear and comes in really handy when I need to burrow into the horde to soak up gems or snag a chest.

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

M_Gargantua posted:

I like it better than garlic, its a great croud control on library and tower. But almost always avoid evolving it because the skull cranks up the curse and makes the whole stage harder for very little gain.
This has to be my problem. Now I'm afraid to upgrade curse as well, even though all the guides say its the best.

I'm trying the first stage and I cannot deal with the drat brown dudes focusing on that skill. I think my last four times have been 13:18, 13:18, 13:12 and 13:10. My failure is that precise.

Think I'll just ignore that weapon to get her to her survival mark achievement, like I did with Mortaccio and the bone to get him to level 100. Because the bone is horrible.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."

Jelly posted:

A few questions.

For the birds and the guns, is it just super rare to get them both? I've probably played ten 15+ minute runs in a row where I got one and not the other, and yes I've unlocked them all. Like filled out every other slot except the one I'm saving for the second bird/gun and it just doesn't show up. I evolved the guns with the character who starts with them... because she starts with them. I've yet to even get close to evolving the birds. I've evolved every other weapon (that I've unlocked) in the game long ago. Picking guns without the specific character who starts with them, or birds, appears to be a guaranteed failure.

My general strategy is to focus on weapons.

Level up the weapon with the highest level. If that one isn't available, level up the next highest.

I avoid what I perceive to be bad weapons like the knife, whip, pentagram (for now) and the ones that don't evolve. Pretty much everything else is fair game.

The whip is actually quite good as a keep-away weapon once you've got the good passives up (if you don't the spinach, empty tome, and duplicator* every single round, you're doing it wrong), the knife, once fully upgraded and evolved, absolutely shreds everything in whatever direction you're facing, and every single one of the non-evolving weapons is extremely powerful with the right build (the minecart especially).

With the Song of Mana, you need to make sure you're grabbing the Spellbinder and the Candleabrador in order to max out its AoE and Duration, which will ensure there's basically zero downtime between blasts and it's hitting enemies as far away as possible.

Try this build on for size:

Weapons: Axe/Death Spiral, Garlic/Soul Eater, Song of Mana/Mannajja, King Bible/Unholy Vespers, Fire Wand/Hellfire, Magic Wand/Holy Wand
Passives: Spinach, Empty Tome, Spellbinder, Candleabrador, Skull o' Maniacs, Duplicator, Pummarola (yes, that's seven, but one or two of those is always a floor item in the normal stages, the Spinach and Skull in Mad Forest, the Tome in Inlaid Library, the Candleabrador in the Dairy Factory, and the Spellbinder in Gallo's Tower)

Unlock a Banish, Skip, or Reroll (you should be able to get at least one or two), so you can avoid bad level-ups, and this build will easily see you to the thirty-minute mark. Like, it's not even close to an optimal build by any means but it'll get the job done on any level you choose.

*The exception for the Duplicator is if you're running a build that only uses weapons unaffected by it (Garlic, Song of Mana, etc.).

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Man, so my next run I just ignored the skull pickup on the map. Decided to finally pick it up at the 25 minute mark and then I made it to 30.

Having the curse on a finished run unlocked Lama for me, and I unlocked Song of Mana by making it to the 15 minute mark finally.

Run was Mannajja, Heaven Sword, Thunder Loop, Death Spiral, Hellfire and Thousand Edge (yes, the knife).

Nice way to end a rough string. Also most gold I've made, 6600.

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

I just realized I don't recall seeing the minecart, or the cherry bomb drop for other characters. Can they? I don't see any unlocks I missed with those specific characters.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Jelly posted:

I just realized I don't recall seeing the minecart, or the cherry bomb drop for other characters. Can they? I don't see any unlocks I missed with those specific characters.

They can, they're just more rare. Also you can buy them at the start of a round from the special unlockable merchant now.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Jelly posted:

Yes, but all weapons/items aren't equally likely to appear and those ones you mentioned are quite rare. Eventually you'll unlock a merchant who shows up at the spawn point of each area and lets you buy those weapons for gold -- it's not something I take advantage of too often but if I'm doing a pentagram build for example it can be nice to have an extra guaranteed source of damage for early-game.

Also if I may offer some advice, you're doing good but you're definitely under-evaluating some powerful items. That's okay, part of the fun of the game for me was figuring out that stuff I previously thought sucked was actually good, but I just offer this as a pointer -- whip seems very limited at first, but just the fact that it can hit an unlimited number of enemies within its range is very powerful and it scales well with +area and +projectile effects which are both generally useful for most weapons.

Same deal with Song -- with enough duration and cooldown reduction boosts, it basically turns into a perpetual vertical death beam and it's really powerful. It's generally considered to be the best weapon in the game (although evolutions throw a wrench in that a bit)

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM

Infinity Gaia posted:

Only chests at and above the 10 minute boss can upgrade weapons, and certain chests are forced arcana drops.

With an an exception for stage three, which allows you to evolve weapons at any time.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

M_Gargantua posted:

You can evolve Song while minimising the curse pain by grabbing one Skull O Mania and then banishing it from the drop pool when it next shows up.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
Song is also not going to be as good as it can be if you don't have projectile speed, area and duration boosts- with them it's basically an always-on field of damage that covers a huge portion of the screen. If you're skipping the Bracer, Spellbinder, or Candelabara (and I usually wouldn't, since those are the evolve passives for IMO three of the best weapons the game offers) you're going to be severely undercutting it and making it probably not worth taking, so I'd say skip it also.

Steelion
Aug 2, 2009
Getting both birds or both guns, or more broadly any specific weapons you want, gets significantly easier when you have a pile of banishes, rerolls, and skips to manipulate your pickups with. Without them, or with only a few, you're really just at the mercy of RNG.

TehWhale
Mar 28, 2010
The guns are definitely hard to evolve if you don't start with Pugnala. There definitely seems to be a weighting system with the items and the birds seem rarer (though if I get one I can usually get the other) the guns on the other hand seem even rarer. I don't bother taking a gun if it appears since I likely won't get the others even with banish/reroll.

Just wanted to throw this info out there since I stupidly didn't realize it. Typically as you're progressing, you'll be specing your power ups, typically the cheaper ones first since you have less gold and curse is expensive while most people progressing don't want that. I just want to say that the order matters heavily, like heavily. I had 9k gold leftover after finishing some gold runs to spec all my final power ups. I decided to respec all and go with the most expensive first and the difference was massive. I ended up with 220k gold left over after specing them in the proper order. It's entirely free to respec so if you ever want to put on curse for example, you should respec and spec them in the highest cost order of ones you want. It will save you tons of gold.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

M_Gargantua posted:

You can take one level of the skull and then banish it to avoid most of the curse :eng101:

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

I've only rarely had difficulty getting both guns but it doesn't usually come together until later in the game yeah and that's with all the skips and rerolls and banishes available. I sometimes forget what this game even played like out of the box.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
I do like that the higher your luck, the more likely you will see items that are needed for evolutions of your current items.

TehWhale
Mar 28, 2010
The bone zone is hard as gently caress. I got all my power ups speced and a few eggs on my character and this poo poo is difficult. It's making me

I really would like to do it with Pugnala but it never seems like I have enough damage even just putting every point into my guns only or things like CDR. I'd even pick up cherry bomb from the man at the start to try to ease the pain a bit. I've been trying hyper and no hyper. poo poo's wild. I don't even know how I did it before. Cause I've done it, like 5 times before. Maybe it's cause I'm trying out the freeze arcana. I used to basically only use Disco of Gold since I used that as my healing source. Maybe that's why I'm failing repeatedly without it.

TehWhale fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Jun 3, 2022

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
On maps with a passive item pickup (stone mask, tome etc), do I have to wait till I fill my passive slots before they count as extra, or can I just gather them all and still get my choice 6 slots?

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:

TehWhale posted:

The bone zone is hard as gently caress. I got all my power ups speced and a few eggs on my character and this poo poo is difficult. It's making me

I really would like to do it with Pugnala but it never seems like I have enough damage even just putting every point into my guns only or things like CDR. I'd even pick up cherry bomb from the man at the start to try to ease the pain a bit. I've been trying hyper and no hyper. poo poo's wild. I don't even know how I did it before. Cause I've done it, like 5 times before. Maybe it's cause I'm trying out the freeze arcana. I used to basically only use Disco of Gold since I used that as my healing source. Maybe that's why I'm failing repeatedly without it.

Because the candles there can only drop money, the all gold frenzy all the time arcana works wonders, doubly so if you add the healing arcana to it. That's how I made it and aside from a couple close scrapes early on it was a smooth experience.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

skooma512 posted:

On maps with a passive item pickup (stone mask, tome etc), do I have to wait till I fill my passive slots before they count as extra, or can I just gather them all and still get my choice 6 slots?

You have to wait. That is the tradeoff for extra slots

TehWhale
Mar 28, 2010

skooma512 posted:

If you pick them up before you're maxed they do indeed take that slot. Make your way to the ones you want to grab first and then just grind out the supports you want to choose first. Once you have all six slots filled, pick up the support items on the ground and go grab all the others you want.

Qwezz
Dec 19, 2010

I'm feeling some good vibrations!

↑ that list shows the rarity percentages of things showing up as a choice at lvl up if you do not already have it.

both guns and birbs are 50 which means the chance of them showing up is :mediocre: . Your best bet if you want them all 4 asap is to banish the more common stuff you know you won't use. If you banish a 100 weapon like the knife it will not show up anymore, increasing the chance for birbs or guns.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

TehWhale posted:

Get the fire arcana with Puganala and you can just annihilate enemies. Don't evolve the guns, take the crown as one of your freed up passives, and pick up either garlic or the whip so you can get some healing.

Or, start with the revive arcana and just die a couple times early, then use that boost to carry you through. But getting either garlic or the bible is really helpful, since they save you from projectiles. There are some waves later on when a ton of bone towers spawn, and they will whittle down your health really quickly if you don't have any proximity attacks protecting you.

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

I think I've unlocked everything in Vampire Survivors. I don't know what to do now.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."

Chinook posted:

I think I've unlocked everything in Vampire Survivors. I don't know what to do now.

Either keep playing just for fun/podcast accompaniment, or wait a few days for the next update when more stuff is added and the game goes another layer deeper.

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

EclecticTastes posted:

Either keep playing just for fun/podcast accompaniment, or wait a few days for the next update when more stuff is added and the game goes another layer deeper.

Yeah. I dove too deep, too quickly. Now I'm looking for similar games. That has not been fruitful. Any contenders?

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Game should take a page from idlers and add a prestige mechanic.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Chinook posted:

Yeah. I dove too deep, too quickly. Now I'm looking for similar games. That has not been fruitful. Any contenders?

A few pages ago there were a few others of this genre (how do you qualify this game? Melee reverse bullet hell?)

The one I remember was almost directly lifted from VS, but "rewards" the player with naked anime girl pictures.

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

Mendrian posted:

Game should take a page from idlers and add a prestige mechanic.

Yeah! They could call it "inversion" (like the castle) or "eclipsing." I like it

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

CzarChasm posted:

A few pages ago there were a few others of this genre (how do you qualify this game? Melee reverse bullet hell?)

The one I remember was almost directly lifted from VS, but "rewards" the player with naked anime girl pictures.

Swarm based autoshooter?

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

Chinook posted:

It's not quite the same, but I find that Vampire Survivors fulfills the same itch for me as various oldschool shooters like Gradius, R-Type, Aero Fighters, Parodius, Twinbee, etc. There were a lot of flash games in the vein of VS (VS is sort of the apotheosis of that type of game), but they're pretty much gone, now.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Bullet hell

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Reverse bullet hell

Bullet heaven?

AgentX
Apr 20, 2002

SkeletonHero posted:

Because the candles there can only drop money, the all gold frenzy all the time arcana works wonders, doubly so if you add the healing arcana to it. That's how I made it and aside from a couple close scrapes early on it was a smooth experience.

This but I usually get Disco as my second arcana. First one is always Iron Blue Will for bouncy balls and pick up Knife and Axe to keep it useful. Axe needing candle to evolve and La Borra (evolved santa water) being fantastic in the 'zone is a happy combination. Rest of it is up to you and RNG. Garlic and Vespers are good but better have some high damage if you care about surviving past minute 29. The big boy skeletons don't seem to care about garlic's knockback.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

sebmojo posted:

Bullet hell

There's a difference between oldschool shooters and modern bullet hell games, mainly that you're not required to be as precise in your movements. That's why I prefer them, it's mostly about the simple lizard brain satisfaction of "shooty thing make stuff blow up".

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

CzarChasm posted:

I remember this being a whole genre on newgrounds in like 2002.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

EclecticTastes posted:

There's a difference between oldschool shooters and modern bullet hell games, mainly that you're not required to be as precise in your movements. That's why I prefer them, it's mostly about the simple lizard brain satisfaction of "shooty thing make stuff blow up".

thats why I love old school SHUMPs like Raiden