Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before
I can't see the Liv tour sustaining itself for very long unless they make a concerted effort to differentiate it from the PGA, maybe different format events, maybe some mixed events (I'd watch that in a heartbeat), stuff like that

But from what I've seen this is explicitly what they DONT want to do, because they want to be PGA tour 2.0 instead

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Just make each green a miniature golf course. You have to chip it through an opening in a brick wall that surrounds the green, or you can flop it over but there’s an industrial fan blade spinning over the green that may deflect your shot. For $5 mil a year I can come up with at least 3 similar gags.

Prurient Squid
Jul 21, 2008

Tiddy cat Buddha improving your day.
The problem with miniture golf is that you need miniture players who can fit on the courses. It very quickly degenerates into farce.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter
Playing Predator Ridge in Vernon,BC today. Looking like a beautiful course from what I’ve seen so far.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

MustardFacial posted:

Playing Predator Ridge in Vernon,BC today. Looking like a beautiful course from what I’ve seen so far.

Which course are you playing? The website shows two, both of which look pretty wild.

Prurient Squid
Jul 21, 2008

I keep noticing Rory McIllroy has a weird puppy thing in his kit bag. What's the deal with that?

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Prurient Squid posted:

I keep noticing Rory McIllroy has a weird puppy thing in his kit bag. What's the deal with that?

Are you talking about his driver headcover?

Prurient Squid
Jul 21, 2008

It turns out I was.

Well, I dig it.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Prurient Squid posted:

It turns out I was.

Well, I dig it.

Ya you'll notice a lot of the tour pro's have custom ones. Tiger's is Frank, a, you guessed it, Tiger lol

I have a giraffe on mine

It's actually the same one Kevin Chappell has and when I got it all proceeds went to the charity he runs, plus, I love giraffes lol

It's just a way to add some personality to your game. Plus cart girls dig it lol

Prurient Squid
Jul 21, 2008

I love it. Your giraffe certainly gets my seal of approval.

Prurient Squid fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Jun 2, 2022

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

I just lose every headcover I own within a few rounds so I stopped trying.

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

Resident Sergio Apologist
CHAMPION

Shrapnig posted:

Check out the Srixon Q-Star and Q-Star Tour, they're around the same price as the Velocity. The Q-Star Tour is the ball that claims to spin more around the greens while still being a "distance" ball.

Probably late to this discussion, but I highly recommend any of the Srixon line of balls. They're all premium and routinely $10 cheaper than competitors. Kirkland blows everything else out of the water in terms of performance vs price, but Srixon is easily 2nd best.

You can get 2 dozen Z Star for about $60 from Academy/DSG. Q-Star Tours aren't quite as long, but they're even cheaper and a solid ball.

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib
maxfli tours are my new jam, feel like pro-v's to me and and you can generally get a 48 pack for about $100

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Kameh posted:

Probably late to this discussion, but I highly recommend any of the Srixon line of balls. They're all premium and routinely $10 cheaper than competitors. Kirkland blows everything else out of the water in terms of performance vs price, but Srixon is easily 2nd best.

You can get 2 dozen Z Star for about $60 from Academy/DSG. Q-Star Tours aren't quite as long, but they're even cheaper and a solid ball.

I love playing Kirkland and usually pick up a box anytime I'm in Costco, right now my bag is a mixture of Yellow Pro V 1s and Kirkland balls and they both perform the same for me. Only thing bad about the Kirklands is they don't last long, a few sand shots and they are done or a few hard wedges and they scuff up pretty bad, especially compared to the Pro V 1 which I used one my entire last round, was in the sand a few times and I feel like I could play another round with it. I've had a Kirkland be done after 5 or 6 holes, but for as cheap as they are I don't mind going through a few a round.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
But we're still the best dressed
Perhaps that final addition to the LIV tour will be Matsuyama

https://twitter.com/GolfDigest/status/1532459729699717125?t=8q6-CtGreO6JGNZDjcNGeg&s=19

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

Kameh posted:

I buy the 4A z-stars from lostgolfballs.com for around $1.20 a ball, they're really hard to beat.

Dr. Capco
May 21, 2007

Pillbug
I'm venturing into the world of city tournaments this weekend with a two day flighted event. My swing and low point control were the best they've ever been a week ago and after my little break it's definitely not nearly as sharp. The one positive is that the I'm playing at has a range that I always stripe the ball at for whatever reason, so with some solid short game practice and putting practice tonight I should be ready to go by the weekend.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter

Shrapnig posted:

Which course are you playing? The website shows two, both of which look pretty wild.

Played the Ridge course today and we’ve got a tee time for the Predator course tomorrow morning.

Great course so far, definitely lives up to the trope of large BC courses having a couple par 4’s and 5’s where the tee shot is off the side of a mountain 70ft above the fairway. Spectacular views as well. I’ll post a bunch of pictures later.

MustardFacial fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Jun 3, 2022

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

So who thinks I break 40 on the par-3 course tomorrow? Previous low is 44

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
I think I'm the oldest golfer here. Every season, as I get back into form, I wonder if this is the year I start to lose distance. My driver is the only club I don't currently hit as long as I ever have, and that got better and more accurate but shorter six or seven years ago.

This year, first ten rounds or so, I was one club off. After a couple of rounds, just went down a club, and it was ok. A few rounds ago, just one day, back to normal.distance, nothing else changed. Today, just had that distance dialed in hard. I think I've made it one more year without dropping distance.

BCRock
Dec 13, 2005
I'm huge in Japan

Had to make that birdie on 18 to win a tournament by 1 today.

2nd round of my club's match play major tomorrow and then another tournament on Saturday. :negative:

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

torgeaux posted:

I think I'm the oldest golfer here. Every season, as I get back into form, I wonder if this is the year I start to lose distance. My driver is the only club I don't currently hit as long as I ever have, and that got better and more accurate but shorter six or seven years ago.

This year, first ten rounds or so, I was one club off. After a couple of rounds, just went down a club, and it was ok. A few rounds ago, just one day, back to normal.distance, nothing else changed. Today, just had that distance dialed in hard. I think I've made it one more year without dropping distance.

How old are ya? I'm 36 and still fine for distance but I'm curious how long I have.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

torgeaux posted:

Ya how old are you, I feel like all of us have been on this dead gay comedy forum since our late teens/early 20s and that's like, 20 years ago now lol

I'm 43 and don't feel like I've lost any distance but have def gained distance and accuracy. A lot of it still depends on your health/fitness/etc as well obviously.

Prurient Squid
Jul 21, 2008

I just want golf to be something nice lol. I don't want to know about the drama and greed behind it.

I'm not telling other people what to post or anything. I'll just be mentally filtering anything that doesn't fit in with my rosy view.

Also, I notice the US Women's Open is going on at the moment. I might check it out at some point.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

I think torgeaux is 60ish so y'all should probably relax lol.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
58. Worse, I'm one of those weekday retiree golfers that I loving hate.

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

Jay Haas, the oldest player on the tour at 68, averages 256 yards off the tee, and with respect to Mr. Haas, he doesn't exactly look like a guy that's in training to keep his power.

Douchebag
Oct 21, 2005

The annual Masters Ticket Rejection Period has begun.

Douchebag
Oct 21, 2005

torgeaux posted:

To be fair, the most fun I've had golfing in the last few years are the days I skip out of work early, grab a twilight tee time and get paired up with a couple of retirees. Always enjoy those rounds. No bullshit, just golf.

I mean I did have one that drank a ton of beer, so that was fun too.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

torgeaux posted:

My dad is 68 and can still get it out there 250+ on a good day.

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

remove all trees that overhang fairways imho. Cracked a drive down the left side OF THE FAIRWAY, somehow it ends up like 30 meters into the bush and I play a fade. As I'm looking for it I notice one of the gum trees is hanging a good few solid meters into the fairway so I assume I hit it on the way down.

On the one hand; don't hit it there. On the other hand, gently caress ooofffffffffffffff

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

My dad is 63 and three chemo regiments deep, so he's lost some distance over the years, but it only seems to be in his irons. His driver and fairway woods he still gets out there just fine. Makes me think maybe it's time for him to get to a fitter about a new set or irons or something.

Anno fucked around with this message at 13:53 on Jun 3, 2022

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Anno posted:

My dad is 63 and three chemo regiments deep, so he's lost some distance over the years, but it only seems to be in his irons. His driver and fairway woods he still gets out there just fine. Makes me think maybe it's time for him to get to a fitter about a new set or irons or something.

My last fitting, I didn't gain distance with my new irons (despite the assurances from the fitter), but my average went up because slight miss hits just didn't lose any real distance. Embrace the new tech, old guys.

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

Not my best score ever, but definitely my best round. Couldn’t find a fairway to save my life, lost 3 balls, and still managed to shoot an 88. Turns out practicing putting really pays off!

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Anno posted:

I finally got my dad to buy new irons this year and we went and hit a bunch and wound up in a set of Wilson launchpad irons. They all kinda look like hybrids and he's hitting them much better and farther than the regular iron set he had been using.

https://pluggedingolf.com/2022-wilson-launch-pad-irons-review/

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

Omne posted:

So who thinks I break 40 on the par-3 course tomorrow? Previous low is 44

The answer is a resounding "no." Second worst round I've ever had on that course, 48. I went triple, double, double, double, bogey, double, triple, par, quad (three in the water so I just stopped and took the double-par). The par was a fluke; tee shot goes into the greenside bunker. First attempt out, gently caress it up and the ball goes two feet, still in the bunker. Third shot: chipped out and it rolled in.

What's bonkers to me is this is a little course, 1500 yards, seven 3's and two 4's, and I'm putting up 45-50. On a regular course, 6400 yards, I'm pretty close to that for each turn. This course is my nemesis.

BCRock
Dec 13, 2005
I'm huge in Japan
Currently playing my match against a 71 year old. He's a 2 index and hits it 265 off the tee every time.

A few years ago a different 70 year old won our club championship (3 day low gross tournament) against a bunch of +3 index 20 and 30 year old who hit their driver 320. He shot something like -7 total.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

One of the better pro shanks in awhile.

https://twitter.com/PGATOUR/status/1532737621113413632

Prurient Squid
Jul 21, 2008

So why does no one ever shout "fore"? That was the stereotype I had in my head and in 14 hours of footage I've never heard it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saul Kain
Dec 5, 2018

Lately it occurs to me,

what a long, strange trip it's been.

Prurient Squid posted:

So why does no one ever shout "fore"? That was the stereotype I had in my head and in 14 hours of footage I've never heard it.

I do all the time, but I shank it a bunch.