Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Viller
Jun 3, 2005

Proud opponent of Israeli terror and Jewish fascism!

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Hey, gently caress off.

Im good bro

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
Obi-Wan’s big comeback moment is going to involve mind-tricking someone isn’t it

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

He's gonna wield four lightsabers at a time

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

General Dog posted:

Obi-Wan’s big comeback moment is going to involve mind-tricking someone isn’t it

Yeah Luke in the first movie

TheLoquid
Nov 5, 2008

quote:

People who criticise TLJ tend to get lumped together with chuds

quote:

the bizarre Poe needs to learn a lesson about leadership/hot head/believe all woman, TLJ feels very much a movie written for and by libs. Not SJW bs, but libs, like Clinton type voters.

quote:

Its just Disney garbage written by retards who hate white men.

:iiam:

quote:

Now lets look at the ROTS.

It's a messy film. There's a lot going on. But at it's heart, it's not thinking it's too cool for star wars. It's playing into the call of adventure, it's playing into the characters (aka Ray and Kylo) having actually arcs. Some of the plot beats (the video game questing really) are clunky. C3P0 is actually good in the movie. The new worlds are good. The fact that there's actually several lightsaber fights that are good to great.

Since RJ decided that having a big bad was uncool and decided to make Kylo a school shooter big bad (which was both not very interesting and did not make for a good final enemy for a 3rd film) they had to replace Snoke. Emperor coming back was a rip off from Dark Empire, but I'm sorry, him chewing the scenery was worth it. It also justified Snoke dying like such a chump. The rest of the cast actually get to be together for awhile, and it was nice.

I don't understand approaching TLJ as it being "too cool" for Star Wars. It is an extremely earnest movie for the most part. There's some levity sprinkled throughout, but if anything it tends to be overly self-serious about the Star Wars mythology.

RoS is just a dumpster fire, and not even in an interesting way. It's shoddy and cynical in a very gross way.

TheLoquid fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Jun 4, 2022

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Didn’t Obi Wan defeat two of the highest ranking Bad Dudes in like a week? He rescued Palpatine, defeated Dooku and shot Grievous to death. He also did some poo poo on Geonosis, but my memory is flaky on exactly what. There’s achievements there.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Then he got sad

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I mean he did all that and they literally had the enemy on the ropes, and then suddenly it all turned into the biggest Pyrrhic victory in galactic history. That'll gently caress a dude up.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

Cool beard though

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Rise of the Skywalker > The Last Jedi.

They drop the pretense and just give up and admit that they never actually planned a trilogy at all whatsoever. The directors they initially chose couldn’t be more different than each other which should’ve been the first sign of a problem. Rian Johnson just says gently caress off to the JJ decisions in force awakens, And then JJ undoes what Rian did.

The whole trilogy is god awful

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

TheLoquid posted:

:iiam:

I don't understand approaching TLJ as it being "too cool" for Star Wars. It is an extremely earnest movie for the most part. There's some levity sprinkled throughout, but if anything it tends to be overly self-serious about the Star Wars mythology.

RoS is just a dumpster fire, and not even in an interesting way. It's shoddy and cynical in a very gross way.

You feel it's gross. I think ROS is JJ trying desperately to keep a sinking ship that has a poo poo ton of very dumb studio meddling from sinking. I think for the most part it works, even if I'll be the first to admit there's stuff that needs some leak work.

I think TLJ is a movie that thinks it's much smarter than it is, and a lot of fans who latch onto it are in the same boat. IE the college freshmen group. The smugness of some of it is what drives me more up a wall. It wasn't like JJ handed RJ a bad hand. For all the criticisms of TFA, it hands you a fun deck of cards to play with.

RJ tossed half that deck away and said, "I know better".

I should have not said the glib line about believe/all woman/ about Poe, because it was glib, but that really does strike at a major issue and why I call it "trying to be cool".

you have a sub plot for Poe that does not really fit, and based entirely around somebody withholding information because they're in charge and you have to trust them. Now it turns out their plan is a heroic one (that of course doesn't make much sense, even if it works, but okay fine, that's Star Wars). But it's a plot point to serve a lesson, versus serve the story.

you also have Finn being a coward, and a major character regress. His entire arc in the movie is frankly terrible.

That's two of the major male leads in these movies basically needing to learn major lessons from woman. There's no problem with that in theory, in fact teaching little kids that role models genders don't matter is a great thing! but at the end of the day it's actually three of that same type of relationships, because Luke arguably learns more from Rey than the other way around. (And again, in theory that could be fun. in the movie it just sort of feels like, huh?) If I was a certain type of fan I could see why that, especially from somebody who they were already unjustly annoyed with (Ray) scolding their lord and savor and child hood hero Luke, would make you see red. Now, again, gently caress off with those fans. They suck. But, from a story perspective, having it be more or less the same beat for three people is just... weird. It also feels very preachy versus, you know, just telling a good story.

And speaking of gross, Ryan played heavily into a will they won't they with a very toxic relationship, which is way, way more gross in terms of influencing young people.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Its still so hosed what Disney did to John Boyega and Kelly Marie Tran fr

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

The REAL Goobusters posted:

Its still so hosed what Disney did to John Boyega and Kelly Marie Tran fr

For sure. and John made it very clear JJ did nothing wrong, and had way more plans for him.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

LionArcher posted:

For sure. and John made it very clear JJ did nothing wrong, and had way more plans for him.

That’s classic JJ though. He’s always got way more plans and mystery boxes all the time. I guess he did make another scene in the last one where Rey and Finn had some sort of moment together but I mean the result is on the screen. poo poo was a mess.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Boyega deserves his own show, at the level of what we expected from SW TV, not what we got.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

LionArcher posted:

Lol that I posted about how gross it was to sideline Kelly Marie Tran and make sure Finn got a random love interest that's the same race as him in ROTS and your response was a thesis on how JJ Abrams was totally powerless to stop these decisions because he had to fix TLJ's mistakes by...doubling down on a lot of them

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
God these movies SUCKED

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

This is totally a nitpick but remember how in empire strikes back the pursuit of the falcon and luke's training has this ambiguous timeframe but is implied to be several days if not weeks of time, and then in rise of skywalker they say they only have some extremely short amount of hours before palpatine kills them all and lando who has been living as a hermit on a remote planet for 30+ years unites the entire galaxy in that extremely short amount of hours

Why did they do that

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

They’re bad movies bro

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

LionArcher posted:

JJ was the one who took the saber away from him, made him a goofy goofball, and not even a real stormtrooper but a random janitor because idk it’s funny he sucks or something.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Wolfsheim posted:

This is totally a nitpick but remember how in empire strikes back the pursuit of the falcon and luke's training has this ambiguous timeframe but is implied to be several days if not weeks of time, and then in rise of skywalker they say they only have some extremely short amount of hours before palpatine kills them all and lando who has been living as a hermit on a remote planet for 30+ years unites the entire galaxy in that extremely short amount of hours

Why did they do that

Literally ran out of ideas and they said gently caress it

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
JJ thought the stormtroopers were robots in the original trilogy

Captain Jesus
Feb 26, 2009

What's wrong with you? You don't even have your beer goggles on!!
Obi-Wan is going to regain composure in the same way Luke did in TLJ. He's gonna realize Anakin was an evil rear end in a top hat and his mistake was not finishing the job.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

The deserting stormtrooper concept in general was such a bait and switch. All of TFA is just a first stage booster rocket designed to immediately burn up over the sea

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

Like if you were to guess how 'long' each star wars film is in terms of length of time passed in the plot you'd say like, weeks to months right? The steady trickle of new people into Jabba's palace in ROTJ had to be at least a month alone and all the Senate bullshit in TPM was surely several months

But Ep IX takes place in a 12 hour window

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Boyega should star in Rebel Moon.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Captain Jesus posted:

Obi-Wan is going to regain composure in the same way Luke did in TLJ. He's gonna realize Anakin was an evil rear end in a top hat and his mistake was not finishing the job.

This is in keeping with the plot that Obi-wan is being taught piecemeal through the show: the Grand Inquisitor is correct, being a Jedi is an irrevocable, heritable condition and he needs to ensure a future for Jedi children.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Do the Inquisitors have a backstory yet? Are they Sith, where did they come from? Apologies if this has been addressed, I'm not a tremendous SW fan like I used to be so it's very possible I missed something.

Also have we gotten any legitimate Kyle Katarn references in the new EU yet, or is that just a pipe dream/running gag among fans?

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
All the Inquisitors are either fallen Jedi or Force-sensitives who have turned to the Dark Side and pledged allegiance to the Empire (and Sheev/Vader, the two Sith Lords per the Rule of Two).

They’ve got a fair amount of autonomy when hunting Jedi, and answer directly to Vader, who oversees them.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Pretty sure the guy posting about TLJ being for liberals isn’t a chud and the other guy sucks and I don’t think he’s ever posted here before, so yea, it’s still kind of a mystery unless you spend your entire life only interacting with the people on Twitter and via YouTube comments.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

YOLOsubmarine posted:

Pretty sure the guy posting about TLJ being for liberals isn’t a chud and the other guy sucks and I don’t think he’s ever posted here before, so yea, it’s still kind of a mystery unless you spend your entire life only interacting with the people on Twitter and via YouTube comments.

Agreed that the poster missed the mark on the point of TLJ being a Clinton liberal movie, but its pretty much anything that isn't this forum where TLJ gets those kinds of comments. Twitter, Facebook, Reddit, YouTube, Instagram, etc.

edit: Also we have the other issue of Disney, who has done a lot of racist stuff for profit like lessening Finn on Asian marketing, then blaming racism/sexism for every negative review of their stuff and stroking flames.

Darko fucked around with this message at 09:15 on Jun 4, 2022

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Mister Speaker posted:

Do the Inquisitors have a backstory yet? Are they Sith, where did they come from? Apologies if this has been addressed, I'm not a tremendous SW fan like I used to be so it's very possible I missed something.

Also have we gotten any legitimate Kyle Katarn references in the new EU yet, or is that just a pipe dream/running gag among fans?

You know who we are!

(I am pretty sure Reva is the 'we run!' youngling from the start, though it's not been directly shown.)

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Darko posted:

Agreed that the poster missed the mark on the point of TLJ being a Clinton liberal movie, but its pretty much anything that isn't this forum where TLJ gets those kinds of comments. Twitter, Facebook, Reddit, YouTube, Instagram, etc.

I’m sure that’s true though I avoid all of those places, but assuming that the loudest assholes on social media are representative to a majority or even plurality if a group that holds a view as benign as “I don’t like this movie” is absurd. The culture war is entirely manufactured and getting sucked into it on the “correct” side is still helping to perpetuate it and give it power.

Noob Saibot
Jan 29, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

General Dog posted:

It’s kind of a wild flex for Kathleen Kennedy to come out and say “television is our flagship for Star Wars, and that was always the plan, actually,” mere days before this diarrhea drizzled onto our screens.

Kennedy keeps failing upwards so she ain’t gonna stop

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Wolfsheim posted:

Like if you were to guess how 'long' each star wars film is in terms of length of time passed in the plot you'd say like, weeks to months right? The steady trickle of new people into Jabba's palace in ROTJ had to be at least a month alone and all the Senate bullshit in TPM was surely several months

But Ep IX takes place in a 12 hour window

Except for ANH which feels like it takes a few days.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Yeah, ANH is 6 days.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

LionArcher posted:

The smugness of some of it is what drives me more up a wall. It wasn't like JJ handed RJ a bad hand. For all the criticisms of TFA, it hands you a fun deck of cards to play with.

I feel like you're projecting smugness onto it. And I really gotta disagree with you - JJ's setup in TFA is offensively bad. There is so much you cannot undo because JJ haphazardly throws a bunch of poo poo at the wall so he can get all the star wars elements he wants in there.

- He takes the OT cast and makes them all losers! The vibes are really hosed with the OT cast!
- Luke fled the galaxy after loving up the new jedi order, creating a new setting in which you have no jedi except Luke and your new OC!
- Lukes absence is specifically called out as allowing the first order to rise, thats kinda hosed!
- Leia & Han divorce and their kid is a super terrorist
- Leia quits politics to head up a small militia, and the politics don't matter because they blow up the galactic government anyways
- Han loses his cool ship and is doing errands for rich gangsters again
- r2d2 is in a coma
- Fails to establish the history of the antagonist faction or the state of the galaxy - then again HE destroys the "good government" midway through the movie
- Takes away the lightsaber from Finn and puts him in a coma
- Ends the movie with Rey finding Luke and does so in an incredibly awkward way which basically necessitates opening the next movie there
- Splits the cast post movie and separates 2 of the characters with the most chemistry
- Builds a completely asinine mystery element around Rey
- Snoke is a whatever hologram and we dont learn anything about him
- Establishes Kylo is the master of the knights of ren (?) but doesnt do anything with this

JJ throws toooooooooo much hosed up poo poo out here and doesn't focus enough on any 1 thing - like yea its a deck of cards but you have a hand size limit and a lot of these cards blow. Specifically the way he ends the movie and the state he puts the characters it'd be preferred if we got a sequel that had some time after it and with all the groups together but JJ specifically ended his movie in a way that makes that difficult! The only way RJ can really have "fun" with this deck of cards is actually ignoring a lot of it or skipping over it / whatever and then you'd have the same people complaining. Like if TLJ started 1 year later with Rey and luke chillin' would people have accepted that? JJ implies a lot of drama in Luke's reaction to the saber at the end of TFA it would have been FOOLISH to ignore that.

You notice how RJ ended his movie with the main cast hopeful and all together so you can setup whatever you want for movie 3??? I think he also correctly identified that having Adam Driver being able to loving act and emote is worth more than having a "big bad" - and to actually deal with the characters and setup you got why waste time on Snoke? Supreme Leader Kylo was loving great. So loving angry!

I'll say the biggest ball drop is definitely Finn's story. That ball was dropped across all 3 films and I don't care if John Boyega loves JJ - he got did dirty from the jump and JJ did not make it any better in ROS?

I say all this as someone who likes TFA, its a very fun watch, but my god they hosed the setting up spectacularly!! Post ROTJ with no new jedi, galaxy's hosed, all the original cast are losers, my god

Jerkface fucked around with this message at 11:53 on Jun 4, 2022

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009

Jerkface posted:

The only way RJ can really have "fun" with this deck of cards is actually ignoring a lot of it or skipping over it / whatever and then you'd have the same people complaining.

I'd like to think there was something he could have done with those mystery boxes instead of going "it's nothing lol, sorry you had two wait for two years". Not to mention he didn't do any world building to make up for it, nor did he dedicate more than 30 seconds to the inciting incident of much of the plot.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

It's still just astonishing that with years to prepare and hundreds of millions of dollars in budget and knowing that their plan was a three film story arc, at no point did anyone actually sketch that arc out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

LionArcher posted:

There is an argument to be made that the implication that Finn and Ray aren't very romantically linked in TFA. However, played for jokes or not, Finn clearly is crushing on Ray. That isn't really noticed by Ray until the ending, where there is a fair reading that she's touched "he came back" for her.

Cut to TFA, where not only is he paired with "a more appropriate love interest" (aka non white which is gross). Rose on her face is a good new character. Except the ending with her crashing into Finn and saying a line about love is insane, and unless you're saying it's played for lasts because she's actually supposed to be an idiot, is also nonsensical.

Her bit about "we win because of love" or whatever the gently caress she says makes less sense than Harry Potter and Stranger Things doubling down on the power of friendship/family to win against evil.

Between that and the bizarre Poe needs to learn a lesson about leadership/hot head/believe all woman, TLJ feels very much a movie written for and by libs. Not SJW bs, but libs, like Clinton type voters. It makes arguments about a ton of things that "feel" smart, much like college students taking one semester of (name your poison, psychology, feminist studies, the economy, advanced English lit, etc.). Those students are often insufferable afterwards. The vibe of TLJ and the arguments they make are the same. All the arguments they make seem okay until you look at the text of it all more carefully, and where the characters end up.

Now lets look at the ROTS.

It's a messy film. There's a lot going on. But at it's heart, it's not thinking it's too cool for star wars. It's playing into the call of adventure, it's playing into the characters (aka Ray and Kylo) having actually arcs. Some of the plot beats (the video game questing really) are clunky. C3P0 is actually good in the movie. The new worlds are good. The fact that there's actually several lightsaber fights that are good to great.

Since RJ decided that having a big bad was uncool and decided to make Kylo a school shooter big bad (which was both not very interesting and did not make for a good final enemy for a 3rd film) they had to replace Snoke. Emperor coming back was a rip off from Dark Empire, but I'm sorry, him chewing the scenery was worth it. It also justified Snoke dying like such a chump. The rest of the cast actually get to be together for awhile, and it was nice.

Could it have used another draft to tighten everything? For sure. but given the time crunch, JJ and crew did the best they could.

Duel of Fates is not a good script. I've read it. ROTS feels more epic, and while there's a few more things I would have liked seen borrowed from DUEL, given what RJ handed them to finish the trilogy, they did a good job.

Also, again, it's very much a kids movie ending, which is what the ST is for.

We know this because drat if there aren't a lot of little kids happy to dress up as Ray.

LionArcher posted:

You feel it's gross. I think ROS is JJ trying desperately to keep a sinking ship that has a poo poo ton of very dumb studio meddling from sinking. I think for the most part it works, even if I'll be the first to admit there's stuff that needs some leak work.

I think TLJ is a movie that thinks it's much smarter than it is, and a lot of fans who latch onto it are in the same boat. IE the college freshmen group. The smugness of some of it is what drives me more up a wall. It wasn't like JJ handed RJ a bad hand. For all the criticisms of TFA, it hands you a fun deck of cards to play with.

I should have not said the glib line about believe/all woman/ about Poe, because it was glib, but that really does strike at a major issue and why I call it "trying to be cool".

you have a sub plot for Poe that does not really fit, and based entirely around somebody withholding information because they're in charge and you have to trust them. Now it turns out their plan is a heroic one (that of course doesn't make much sense, even if it works, but okay fine, that's Star Wars). But it's a plot point to serve a lesson, versus serve the story.

you also have Finn being a coward, and a major character regress. His entire arc in the movie is frankly terrible.

That's two of the major male leads in these movies basically needing to learn major lessons from woman. There's no problem with that in theory, in fact teaching little kids that role models genders don't matter is a great thing! but at the end of the day it's actually three of that same type of relationships, because Luke arguably learns more from Rey than the other way around. (And again, in theory that could be fun. in the movie it just sort of feels like, huh?) If I was a certain type of fan I could see why that, especially from somebody who they were already unjustly annoyed with (Ray) scolding their lord and savor and child hood hero Luke, would make you see red. Now, again, gently caress off with those fans. They suck. But, from a story perspective, having it be more or less the same beat for three people is just... weird. It also feels very preachy versus, you know, just telling a good story.

And speaking of gross, Ryan played heavily into a will they won't they with a very toxic relationship, which is way, way more gross in terms of influencing young people.