Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Everyone posted:

I'd been considering giving this series a shot, but I think no at this point. There's apparently 24+ books and counting to this series.

The main series is 10,you can read and enjoy that without even knowing the other books exist.

The thing with Malazan that's almost unique in epic fantasy, is each book is a solidly contained story in itself. They all connect and some of them lead into later books more than the others, but it's not like WoT where you have multiple books of the same characters treading water to line things up for the next book.

I realise this is less an endorsement of Malazan, and more a damning indictment of the rest of fantasy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007
That doesn't sound particularly unique to Malazan, unless you're only comparing it to Wheel of Time.

bovis
Jan 30, 2007

I just finished the Malazan Book of the Fallen series recently after having spent the last 6 or so months reading through them all (plus a few of the Esslemont ones in between) and really enjoyed it a lot!

Lost a bit of steam for me at the end but there were still a lot of awesome moments! Don't regret going all the way through.
I definitely recommend at least just reading the first few since the stories are well contained enough and feature some really cool setpieces and characters.

I think in the end the 5th book (Midnight Tides) might be my favourite. I love the Bridgeburners but the change in setting and pace was refreshing and a good mixture of serious story and comedy.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Malazan is the thing I love most that I know I can't in good conscience recommend to other people.
I feel like if Erikson wasn't as good writer as he is, the books would be utterly unreadable, as evidenced by Malazan books written by anyone other than Steven Erikson.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Kchama posted:

That doesn't sound particularly unique to Malazan, unless you're only comparing it to Wheel of Time.

WoT is the worst for spinning its wheels, but so much of fantasy spreads their story over multiple books, because that's just the way things are done. Fantasy is written as a trilogy/quadrilogy/massive series, not as a novel. It wouldn't make sense to talk about the themes and arcs in The Final Empire because it's not a complete story, it's Mistborn Part 1 (i even had to look up the title).

I'd put Locke Lamora in the same field as Malazan - you see lots of people saying to just read the first book, because it stands on its own as a really good novel. Yes there are later novels, but they're the further adventures of Locke, not the second half of Locke's first adventure. There's a finality and resolution to the end of the book that you don't get with (and I'm just scrolling through my kindle here): Licanius Trilogy, Ninefox Gambit, Blacktongue Thief, Traitor Son Cycle, Bone Ships, Daevabad, Bone Ships, First Law, Prince of Nothing, Prince of Thorns.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Strom Cuzewon posted:

WoT is the worst for spinning its wheels, but so much of fantasy spreads their story over multiple books, because that's just the way things are done. Fantasy is written as a trilogy/quadrilogy/massive series, not as a novel. It wouldn't make sense to talk about the themes and arcs in The Final Empire because it's not a complete story, it's Mistborn Part 1 (i even had to look up the title).

I'd put Locke Lamora in the same field as Malazan - you see lots of people saying to just read the first book, because it stands on its own as a really good novel. Yes there are later novels, but they're the further adventures of Locke, not the second half of Locke's first adventure. There's a finality and resolution to the end of the book that you don't get with (and I'm just scrolling through my kindle here): Licanius Trilogy, Ninefox Gambit, Blacktongue Thief, Traitor Son Cycle, Bone Ships, Daevabad, Bone Ships, First Law, Prince of Nothing, Prince of Thorns.

I mean as bad a WoT is, it doesn't actually get to being that for several books in. The first few books are fairly self-contained novels, much in the same way you talk about Malazon. My experience with Malazon is that while it doesn't spin its wheels endlessly like WoT does later on, it does quickly become completely incomprehensible if you have not read the preceding books.

Kefahuchi_son!!!
Apr 23, 2015

cptn_dr posted:

Malazan is the thing I love most that I know I can't in good conscience recommend to other people.
I feel like if Erikson wasn't as good writer as he is, the books would be utterly unreadable, as evidenced by Malazan books written by anyone other than Steven Erikson.

This!! I really enjoy the series (well love and hate things about it, but i guess that's where my fascination with it comes from) but i find myself wondering all the time if i should recommend it to anyone.
The length and d&d high fantasy trappings are a immediate barrier. And then the writing is not innovative or structured enough for my "literary" leaning friends, and it feels verbose and aimless to the fantasy fans.

Personally i love the writing and "meaningless" wanderings of the series, and tried but could't read the esslemont books.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Kchama posted:

I mean as bad a WoT is, it doesn't actually get to being that for several books in. The first few books are fairly self-contained novels, much in the same way you talk about Malazon. My experience with Malazon is that while it doesn't spin its wheels endlessly like WoT does later on, it does quickly become completely incomprehensible if you have not read the preceding books.

Yeah, I think it's fair to say that each book is a "self-contained story" in the sense that each book has a complete arc with a defined ending, but it's definitely not "self-contained" in the sense that you can pick up a book halfway through the series and have any idea what the gently caress is going on the way you can with, say, the Legends of Ethshar.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

ToxicFrog posted:

Yeah, I think it's fair to say that each book is a "self-contained story" in the sense that each book has a complete arc with a defined ending, but it's definitely not "self-contained" in the sense that you can pick up a book halfway through the series and have any idea what the gently caress is going on the way you can with, say, the Legends of Ethshar.

Midnight Tides you probably can pick up having not read Malazan before, and Deadhouse Gates is often recommended for reading before Gardens of the Moon. The others, not so much, although you can probably appreciate most of Memories of Ice and House of Chains without reading the preceding books.

Kefahuchi_son!!!
Apr 23, 2015

The books are definitely flawed but i think i love them because of all the "chaff".
In my opinion if the books were heavily edited ( as in trimmed down) they might be decent, if formulaic, fantasy, but would lose everything unique about them. ( but, as i said in my previous post, i also hate plenty of plot-related things, and the first part of your spoiler is one of the things i could't stand).

pradmer
Mar 31, 2009

Follow me for more books on special!
Coraline by Neil Gaiman - $1.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000FC1192/

There Is No Antimemetics Division by qntm - $1.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08FHHQRM2/

Will Wight's Traveler's Gate trilogy is all - Free
House of Blades (#1) - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00D52X58Y/
Crimson Vault (#2) - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00EV12PH0/
City of Light (#3) - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00JL6JMR6/

Sailor Viy
Aug 4, 2013

And when I can swim no longer, if I have not reached Aslan's country, or shot over the edge of the world into some vast cataract, I shall sink with my nose to the sunrise.

Remulak posted:

This is a good one, I read it years ago and literally, that’s correct, literally yelled ‘Holy poo poo’ when the Powers-style plot escalations kept coming.

Anybody see the Depp movie they based on it?

I saw like half of the Pirates of the Caribbean movie and it sucked. They didn't really use anything from the book other than "Blackbeard is looking for the Fountain of Youth".

Can confirm that the book owns though.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

https://twitter.com/maxgladstone/status/1532352807369691136

New Craft book coming next year!

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

How is Ruin of Angels? I got kind of burnt out on the Craft books and forgot there was a sixth one I hadn't ever read.

branedotorg
Jun 19, 2009

MockingQuantum posted:

How is Ruin of Angels? I got kind of burnt out on the Craft books and forgot there was a sixth one I hadn't ever read.

A lot of the same characters from full fathom five (book 3), the priestess/banker is the main character. I remember enjoying it but it was also a bit of a slog despite a complex plot and a lot happening.

I'm glad he's returning to the alt collum and Tara Abernathy, the first twobooks were the ones I enjoyed the most.

branedotorg fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Jun 3, 2022

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

branedotorg posted:

A lot of the same characters from full fathom five (book 3), the priestess/banker is the main character. I remember enjoying it but it was also a bit of a slog despite a complex plot and a lot happening.

I'm glad he's returning to the alt collum and Tara Abernathy, the fist two-three books were the ones I enjoyed the most.

Hmm I may skip Ruin of Angels then, Full Fathom Five was hands-down my least favorite, I think "a bit of a slog despite a complex plot and a lot happening" describes Fathom pretty well too. Overall the series felt like a bit of a rollercoaster ride to me. Three Parts Dead blew me away, Two Serpents Rise was fine but nothing special, Full Fathom Five was overly long and had some really interesting ideas but felt really meandering, Last First Snow was really good but IMO was better because of the context from Two Serpents Rise, and I honestly don't remember a ton about Four Roads Cross other than I enjoyed it and was really happy that it went back to Tara and Abelard, so I'm also down for book 6.

Honestly I appreciate what he was doing by weaving in these different narratives and characters and locations, and created a really rich and interesting world, but honestly Tara and Alt Coulumb felt way more unique and fleshed out than a lot of the rest of the series, to the point that the other books without her as a central character felt a little second-tier.

Danhenge
Dec 16, 2005

branedotorg posted:

I'm glad he's returning to the alt collum and Tara Abernathy, the fist two-three books were the ones I enjoyed the most.

It's definitely a little slower in spots than some of the earlier books, but it's got basically my favorite scene from the series (from a series full of good scenes) in it. Spoiler for a medium important plot point later in the book:

One of the other main PoV characters, Raymet is stuck in prison alongside Gal who is basically a super-charged Paladin. Gal could, in theory, break them out of prison in a heartbeat but refuses for technical Honor and Knighthood reasons. While stuck, they finally have a conversation about their feelings where Raymet finally tells Gal that she's in love with Gal.

quote:

“We will have to talk,” Gal said. “I have apologies to make. Zeddig told me I should speak with you, but I expected—no, that would be a lie. I thought to spare you entanglement with my condition, with my quest. I was wrong.”

“Gal—”

“There are forms for such an affair, and proper ceremonies. The shortest, for now, is: I share your esteem.”

Raymet blinked. “What.”

Gal looked unshakeable as ever, behind those bars. “I do not understand you. But neither do I understand fire, or starlight, or storms, and I love them. I have no land, I have no title. I come from a world you hate. I did not want to trouble you with my affection. You are fierce and beautiful and clever, and I should have told you all this before. It is cowardice that I have not.”

“Well.” Raymet released the bars of her cell. Without their support, she swayed. “Um. I. That’s. Great?” Stupid, stupid. After all that, after the loving heart-wrenching confession, to hear this and be unable to speak—but she couldn’t say anything like that, about storms and fire and poo poo, and—“I’m, I mean, I’m glad.”

Gal tightened her grip on the bars.

Raymet paced. Pressed her hands to her temples. Laughed, and couldn’t stop. She felt the good sort of naked now.

“What’s so funny?”

“This would be a lot more convenient,” Raymet said, “if we weren’t in prison.”

Gal laughed too, but only once, and without the hysterical edge even Raymet could hear in her own voice.

“Same question,” Raymet said. “Back at you.”

“I do not understand.”

“What’s so funny? We’re stuck here, the world’s out there, and I’m glad I told you, and gods, I mean, you have no idea, or maybe you do, what it feels like to hear you say you feel the same way, it’s, I don’t know, I was never good at all this poetry poo poo, it’s spring, it’s a bath and clean sheets and a journal letter that says ‘accepted without revisions,’ but you are on the other side of two layers of cell bars.”

“Details,” Gal said.

“Are those details? They seem like a critical component of our situation.”

“The critical components of our situation,” Gal said, “have changed.”

“Really.”

She licked her lips once, and took a cell bar in each hand. “My vows forbid escape, once I have been subdued by adversaries in honorable combat.” Golden light seeped from her skin and hardened to a glassy sheen. “But a Knight may rescue her lady from a tower. That is practically what Knights are for.”

She broke the bars of her cell like twigs. Then she stepped over the splintered bones, crossed the hall, and broke the bars of Raymet’s, too.

Edit: It's also worth noting that you get some good context about the God Wars from Ruin of Angels.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

In case I do read book 6, is anybody able to give me the cliff notes of Four Roads Cross and Full Fathom Five, at least any bits that are relevant to Ruin of Angels? I remember bits and pieces of both books but my memory is spotty as to the actual plots.

Danhenge
Dec 16, 2005
I don't know if there's anything critical. You can pick up what you need to know via context and it'll gently nudge you for anything you need to know.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?
Finished The Library at Mount Char, whoa. Fun ride. Had a lot of what I liked about American Gods. I was happy when I saw I had 20% left (kindle) after thinking I was at the ending.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Danhenge posted:

I don't know if there's anything critical. You can pick up what you need to know via context and it'll gently nudge you for anything you need to know.

Good to know, thank you!

srypher
Jun 3, 2011

Really?
Just finished Eyes of the Void by Adrian Tchaikovsky. Don't think I liked it quite as much as the first novel, Shards of Earth, but overall this is some of the best space opera sci-fi I've read in awhile and probably eclipses The Expanse.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

I'm reading Tchaikovsky's Doors of Eden now (after loving the spider book but bouncing off, I think it was Cage of Souls) and it's fine but I'm actually loving the exposition interlude chapters about alternate evolution pathways on Earth more than I am the main narrative so far. Definitely feels like his niche.

Dude is incredibly prolific, gotta give him that.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Just made my local bookstore very happy by picking up Someone Like Me and the Koli trilogy, all by Mike Carey. That'll keep me in reading matter for a while after I finish re-reading the Felix Castor series.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

freebooter posted:

I'm reading Tchaikovsky's Doors of Eden now (after loving the spider book but bouncing off, I think it was Cage of Souls) and it's fine but I'm actually loving the exposition interlude chapters about alternate evolution pathways on Earth more than I am the main narrative so far. Definitely feels like his niche.

Dude is incredibly prolific, gotta give him that.

I was pretty disappointed with Doors of Eden after the spider/octopus power combo. It kind of reads like an airport thriller and I agree that the interludes are the most interesting part.

newts
Oct 10, 2012

Jedit posted:

Just made my local bookstore very happy by picking up Someone Like Me and the Koli trilogy, all by Mike Carey. That'll keep me in reading matter for a while after I finish re-reading the Felix Castor series.

I don’t know why I never put two and two together before and realized that Mike Carey and M. R. Carey are the same guy.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Huh, don't feel bad, never thought of it either. Are his protags in the other name as miserable as castor?

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

newts posted:

I don’t know why I never put two and two together before and realized that Mike Carey and M. R. Carey are the same guy.

his comic book output is top notch as well

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Huh, don't feel bad, never thought of it either. Are his protags in the other name as miserable as castor?

The protagonist of Fellside is worse. I can't remember too much about the ones from the two novels he wrote with his wife and daughter.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Koli... develops, I guess? The first book of the trilogy is non-stop making GBS threads on him, he gets better as the story goes on.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

I feel like Adrian Tchaikovsky is quickly becoming of my favorite sci-fi writers. I'm almost through Shards of Earth and it's just some really solid rear end space opera.

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song before I go / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today

bovis posted:

Lost a bit of steam for me at the end but there were still a lot of awesome moments! Don't regret going all the way through.

Tavore's arc just about killed me. Her speech about being unwitnessed as well. It's one of those speeches where if you haven't read the preceding books, is just a long list of namedrops, but if you have, it hits very hard.

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

A Proper Uppercut posted:

I feel like Adrian Tchaikovsky is quickly becoming of my favorite sci-fi writers. I'm almost through Shards of Earth and it's just some really solid rear end space opera.

I thought he lost it when the Apt series spun out of control but after that he started doing shorter stuff, standalones and "only" a trilogy here or there and it's working out great so far.
Although I'd like more stuff from the Tiger & the Wolf world.

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song before I go / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today
Sue Lynn Tan's Daughter of the Moon Goddess is $1.99 in a bunch of places today:

https://www.bookbub.com/books/daughter-of-the-moon-goddess-by-sue-lynn-tan?ebook_deal

This will probably be my next read after I finish The Priory of the Orange Tree.

a friendly penguin
Feb 1, 2007

trolling for fish

Leng posted:

Sue Lynn Tan's Daughter of the Moon Goddess is $1.99 in a bunch of places today:

https://www.bookbub.com/books/daughter-of-the-moon-goddess-by-sue-lynn-tan?ebook_deal

This will probably be my next read after I finish The Priory of the Orange Tree.

This book for me from page one.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
Threw in the towel on the RCN series by David Drake. 60% through book 7, just got too bored to continue with the lower stakes.

Scrolled back dozens of pages of purchased-but-unread books on my Kindle and started The Calculating Stars (Lady Astronaut) by Mary Robinette Kowal. Ended up completely engrossed and not going to sleep until super late! Didn't really know what it was about going in but very compelling still by the half way point.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

AARD VARKMAN posted:

Scrolled back dozens of pages of purchased-but-unread books on my Kindle and started The Calculating Stars (Lady Astronaut) by Mary Robinette Kowal. Ended up completely engrossed and not going to sleep until super late! Didn't really know what it was about going in but very compelling still by the half way point.

That's some good stuff right there.

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay

anilEhilated posted:

Koli... develops, I guess? The first book of the trilogy is non-stop making GBS threads on him, he gets better as the story goes on.

He's a dipshit pretty much the whole time but I never hated him outright I guess. I was way more interested in the other characters and really wanted to see stuff from their perspective instead.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

Was shocked Daughter of the Moon Goddess wasn't on my wishlist, I must have skipped it when I added a bunch of other books I had taken photos of to add, but happy to have picked it up for $2!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jackofarcades
Sep 2, 2011

Okay, I'll admit it took me a bit to get into it... But I think I kinda love this!! I'm Spider-Man!! I'm actually Spider-Man!! HA!
Finally got around to Ninefox Gambit and I'm halfway through book 2. Really enjoying that.