Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

The Maestro posted:

If you cruise the beach bars in Hawaii you’ll find the touristy juice bombs, so that’s what people are looking for.

I think more so than beach bars, it's chain restaurants that cemented in america the idea that cocktails are fruity sugar slop with bottom shelf spirits. Go to any chain sitdown and there's four margarita variants, each probably loaded with different Torino syrups.

Greg from How to drink has had a recurring segment lately where he smuggles drinks out of chili's, Applebee's, etc., tastes them, and then tries to improve them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I love that orgeat and horchata are the same word (but completely different things)

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

I despite Meyer lemons.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

I, despite Meyer lemons, manage to get through another work week

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006

Pander posted:

I think more so than beach bars, it's chain restaurants that cemented in america the idea that cocktails are fruity sugar slop with bottom shelf spirits. Go to any chain sitdown and there's four margarita variants, each probably loaded with different Torino syrups.

Greg from How to drink has had a recurring segment lately where he smuggles drinks out of chili's, Applebee's, etc., tastes them, and then tries to improve them.

Oh sure, we’ve all gone for 2for1 Long Islands at the ‘bee’s, but I’m talking about Mai Tais specifically. Then they can tell their friends, Oh, it’s just like the one I had in Waikiki

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Kenning posted:

I despite Meyer lemons.

I thought Meyer are the good ones.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
Meyer lemons are really perfumey and noticeably lower in acidity. Their juice is maybe the least useful part.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Waltzing Along posted:

I thought Meyer are the good ones.

They're fine enough for confection purposes, but everyone has a Meyer lemon tree in their yard and tries to give you Meyer lemons and I'm usually trying to make cocktails rather than marmalade, and Meyer lemons are considerably sweeter and less tart and don't work in cocktails that aren't designed around them.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
Haha I had a tree that would produce like 100 every season, I was making lemonade and limoncello and freezing juice and whatever else and still trying to give them away. I kind of miss that tree.

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide
I live in Zone 7B/8A and I badly want to see if I can plant a lime tree in my yard. Lemons are dirt cheap around here and one lemon easily gives up 1.5oz, but for some reason all the limes I get are incredibly stingy and I'm lucky to get .5oz out of one.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
I've got a Portuguese lemon here in Vegas, makes entirely too much fruit. I use soooooo much lemon juice in cocktails. Sometimes I get two crops!

Carillon
May 9, 2014

I love melons and don't hate midori. Is there anything actually fun and melon flavored I can do? Mostly I see midori for it's color and sweetness, but would love to find something that actually plays up the melon flavor. Maybe with juiced melons as well? I'm not sure how I'd start balancing that, anyone seen any decent ideas?

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

I’ve never used melon liquor but juice melons all the time for large format punches. They obviously yield a ton of juice and it’s so flavorful I’ve never found a need to boost it. In fact I kind of do the opposite and will frequently sweeten them with an oleo to compliment whatever citrus I’m using so it isn’t dominated by melon. You can just use your standard sour ratios and add more oleo to taste depending on the sugar content of the melon juice and personal preference. I’ll frequently lengthen them with coconut water if it’s for a pool party or any sunny drinking occasion where you want to be able to sip for many hours without getting totaled.

Cantelope with lemon oleo, dry gin, lemon juice

Watermelon with orange oleo, blanco tequila, lime juice

Honeydew with lime oleo, white rum, lime juice

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I

Carillon posted:

I love melons and don't hate midori. Is there anything actually fun and melon flavored I can do? Mostly I see midori for it's color and sweetness, but would love to find something that actually plays up the melon flavor. Maybe with juiced melons as well? I'm not sure how I'd start balancing that, anyone seen any decent ideas?

I had a bottle of midori for years after using it to make some gimmicky Halloween drinks. Couldn’t find any use for it. I eventually did drink it all when I discovered this recipe that turns the Midori sour into a pretty decent and light little treat: https://youtu.be/hkbxZ_d0OoM

Booties
Apr 4, 2006

forever and ever
Is that a ten minute video on a midori sour? Can you just post the spec?

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Click "more" and you get the spec:

Here's The Specs:
2oz (60ml) Midori
1oz (30ml) Lime Juice
Egg White

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Booties posted:

Is that a ten minute video on a midori sour? Can you just post the spec?

2 oz midori
1 oz lime juice
1 egg white

Booties
Apr 4, 2006

forever and ever
Sorry didn’t mean to be a dick to you. That guy just really annoyed me and I want melon bad.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Mr. Wiggles posted:

I've got a Portuguese lemon here in Vegas, makes entirely too much fruit. I use soooooo much lemon juice in cocktails. Sometimes I get two crops!

I’m in zone 9, in an area traditionally used as citrus orchards, and my extremely mature lemon tree basically never stops. At all times of the year with few exceptions there’s ripe lemons, unripe little guys and new flowers with buds.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.
How about a Basic Beach

.75 lime juice
1.75 pineapple juice
.75 Midori
.75 Banana liqueur (Giffard)
.75 silver rum (Don Q cristal)

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Human Tornada posted:

How about a Basic Beach

.75 lime juice
1.75 pineapple juice
.75 Midori
.75 Banana liqueur (Giffard)
.75 silver rum (Don Q cristal)

Well SOMETHING just hit my summer tiki menu.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

I want to like Midori. It's a very well made product with a good flavor but the color is just awful and it's still way too sweet, even after it's recent sugar reduction. Have any of you tried the giffard alternative?

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Well SOMETHING just hit my summer tiki menu.

In that case I'll mention that the recipe calls for serving in a hurricane glass and garnish with banana chips and pineapple fronds.

Comb Your Beard
Sep 28, 2007

Chillin' like a villian.
Is Probitas worth getting over other good white rums like Plantation 3 stars white? It looks pretty cool. I like the bolder British style ones even for whites.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Comb Your Beard posted:

Is Probitas worth getting over other good white rums like Plantation 3 stars white? It looks pretty cool. I like the bolder British style ones even for whites.

I've been looking at that one, too. It's among the highest rated light/whites on rumratings:

https://rumratings.com/rum?company_id=&letter=&location=&min_rating=&order_by=average_rating&page=&rum_type=Light&search=

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
Probitas is good but it’s around ten bucks more expensive than comparable cocktailing white rums in my market. I bought a bottle a couple years ago and haven’t bothered since.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

For white rum in cocktails, I gotta be honest it's usually Bacardi for me if I want neutral. Otherwise I might use Wray and Nephew or cachaça or something. But daiquiris and what not? Bacardi does the job.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Mr. Wiggles posted:

For white rum in cocktails, I gotta be honest it's usually Bacardi for me if I want neutral. Otherwise I might use Wray and Nephew or cachaça or something. But daiquiris and what not? Bacardi does the job.

Yeah, it's like the Titos of the rum world. Is it great? Hell no. Can it go in a cocktail? Sure!

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I really like the El Dorado 3 year for my white. It's smooth and has a nice flavor.

I'll add a little of the Wray & Nephew to things to add some flavor. But not more than 1/4. It's just too strong that it overpowers everything around it.

I also have a bottle of Clairin Le Rocher which is potent. Kinda like the W&N but not as harsh and it's very flavorful.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Flor de Caña has an excellent white rum for mixing. Denizen's white is also very nice. Both add a delicate flavor without being either expensive or excessively strong.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Cane run is the same as far as I’m concerned and usually 10-20% cheaper. But yeah for mojitos, rum and coke, basic rum stuff—Bacardi is perfectly fine I think.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Is it worth making creme de menthe? I’m planning to make creme de mure and limoncello, and I grow my own mint so it kind of seems like why not. But at the same time, it seems like it’s basically used in a grasshopper and nothing else?

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide

Anonymous Robot posted:

Is it worth making creme de menthe? I’m planning to make creme de mure and limoncello, and I grow my own mint so it kind of seems like why not. But at the same time, it seems like it’s basically used in a grasshopper and nothing else?

I've used to it make a pretty delicious dessert martini that someone asked me reverse engineer from a drink list they ran across at a restaurant:

1oz creme de menthe
1.5oz vanilla infused vodka
1.5oz irish cream

shake and pour into a glass wit a chocolate drizzle inside and a mint leaf on top. Not the most complex drink but it's tasty and is visually pretty impressive. Granted I don't make my own creme de menthe but I do infuse the vodka myself, so I don't know how worth it that will be.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!

Anonymous Robot posted:

Creme de menthe is worth messing around with IMO, especially if you make it yourself because it’ll be much fresher-tasting. I make it at work and I’m not 100% happy with my recipe yet, but here’s a drink I’ve been working on. My wife suggested trying to do a hybrid mint julep and Kentucky mule, so here’s what I came up with:

Dog and Pony Show
1oz rye
0.75 menthe
0.75 lime
Shake briefly, strain into highball glass with ice, top with ginger beer, garnish with mint and lime.

This spec would likely be unbalanced with manufactured creme de menthe, but with my housemade stuff it’s bright and fresh and tasty.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Interesting, maybe I’ll give that a try. I had thought about using creme de menthe in a julep as well, given that I already use a mint syrup when I make juleps as otherwise they’re just a hosed up old fashioned imo.

Scythe
Jan 26, 2004
That is disrespectful to the julep! The crushed ice gives it a totally different effect, IMO, and if you do a good job muddling (and remove the muddled mint) and cover the entire top of the glass with a giant mint bouquet it's plenty minty, especially if you purposely use a short straw so you have to bury your nose in it to drink. Also overproof bourbon is an absolute must with all that ice.

No shame in using a syrup too, I just love a good julep and don't want anyone who hasn't tried a really well-made one done the classic way to be turned off them.

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide

Scythe posted:

That is disrespectful to the julep! The crushed ice gives it a totally different effect, IMO, and if you do a good job muddling (and remove the muddled mint) and cover the entire top of the glass with a giant mint bouquet it's plenty minty, especially if you purposely use a short straw so you have to bury your nose in it to drink. Also overproof bourbon is an absolute must with all that ice.

No shame in using a syrup too, I just love a good julep and don't want anyone who hasn't tried a really well-made one done the classic way to be turned off them.
I made one the other night with like 10 or so fresh mint leaves and it was so minty it actually gave my wife indigestion. I loved it though, drank hers and mine. Cold and incredibly refreshing with all the crushed ice.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Mr. Wiggles posted:

I found Havana Club recently and have been using that for most/all of my white rum needs. It's pretty cheap so I don't wanna hoard it, but often find I can taste it if it's a simpler cocktail.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Carillon posted:

I found Havana Club recently and have been using that for most/all of my white rum needs. It's pretty cheap so I don't wanna hoard it, but often find I can taste it if it's a simpler cocktail.

Isn't Havana Club unavailable in the US?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Havana Club in the US is actually Bacardi.