Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

there's definitely no logic
to human behaviour
3-4oz per feeding at 2mo is very good! With breast milk I never put more than 4oz in the bottle at any age. My 11 mo old will usually take 2-3oz at a time, the most he’s ever done in one sitting was 5.

Sounds like you’re doing great!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Even at 18 months my kid rarely takes more than 5oz she's like 20 lbs on the small side

Have you ever tried shotgunning a tall boy? Similar ball park. Unless they just woke up from an overnight 8 hour nap it was rare to see her take more than 4 oz up until 5 months

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:
Jesus Christ, our kids are all drinking a full 8oz by 10 months :stare: (No, they're not all fat proto-goons, they're actually skinny :v:)

Emily Spinach
Oct 21, 2010

:)
It’s 🌿Garland🌿!😯😯😯 No…🙅 I am become😤 😈CHAOS👿! MMMMH😋 GHAAA😫
Our almost 8 month old (!) will take between 6 & 8 oz depending on the time of day. It's always questionable how much she'll keep down though (and feeding her smaller bottles less often doesn't help that, we've tried).

Tamarillo
Aug 6, 2009
At 4mths our daughter rarely takes more than 4oz, feeds every 2-3hrs. We are trying to stretch her to 5oz.

boquiabierta
May 27, 2010

"I will throw my best friend an abortion party if she wants one"
Just found out baby #2 will (also) be a boy. I’m pretty bummed because I always dreamed of having a daughter and this is probably going to be my last pregnancy. With #1 I was also disappointed but I knew we’d get another chance.

I know it’ll be fine, I love #1 to pieces and can’t imagine him being anyone else and I imagine I’ll feel similarly about #2. Just mourning the likelihood of never having a daughter. Feels really sad.

KasioDiscoRock
Nov 17, 2000

Are you alive?

boquiabierta posted:

Just found out baby #2 will (also) be a boy. I’m pretty bummed because I always dreamed of having a daughter and this is probably going to be my last pregnancy. With #1 I was also disappointed but I knew we’d get another chance.

I know it’ll be fine, I love #1 to pieces and can’t imagine him being anyone else and I imagine I’ll feel similarly about #2. Just mourning the likelihood of never having a daughter. Feels really sad.

I feel you on this one, and my husband even more so. We weren’t sure after 2 if we were done, then had a surprise third which is also a boy. We never found out the sex ahead of time because he thought he would deal with the disappointment better when there was actually a baby there instead of an unknown.

Having said that, it’s exactly like you say, I can’t imagine not having my boys and love them all to pieces. I think it’s getting a little easier as the baby gets older and has more and more personality.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I can’t remember if I’ve posed it but I’ve lurked it. Our daughter was born today and is cute as a button- thanks for the help!

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Congratulations!

Emily Spinach
Oct 21, 2010

Professor Shark posted:

I can’t remember if I’ve posed it but I’ve lurked it. Our daughter was born today and is cute as a button- thanks for the help!

Congratulations on the baby shark (do doo do do do)!

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib
I've got a baby shark too! 10 months. Congrats! Enjoy every second, it's gone in an instant.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

sharkytm posted:

Congrats! Enjoy every second, it's gone in an instant.

Yeah, take like, 10x as many photos as you think you do

Take at least 2 minutes of video each day

In six months you end up with like 20 good photos and 3 or 4 min of good video. But it's worth it.

Sleep deprivation fucks with memory formation. Take the photo.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

Hadlock posted:

In six months you end up with like 20 good photos and 3 or 4 min of good video. But it's worth it.

I think my wife is up to 3000 photos. I've got like 250, and a ton of video. Cloud storage is a wonderful thing with a kid.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
My wife feels gross for slightly showing, how do I say she's a total hottie without sounding condescending?

Keeping in mind I'm a newish bi and mostly have dated other dudes for a long time.

Is "drat girl nice butt" at random ok?

Chernobyl Princess
Jul 31, 2009

It has long been an axiom of mine that the little things are infinitely the most important.

:siren:thunderdome winner:siren:

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

My wife feels gross for slightly showing, how do I say she's a total hottie without sounding condescending?

Keeping in mind I'm a newish bi and mostly have dated other dudes for a long time.

Is "drat girl nice butt" at random ok?

It's never a bad thing to let your partner know you find them attractive, but you may want to have a conversation with her about why showing makes her feel gross. If it's less to do with feeling unsexy and more to do with a visible reminder of how her body is no longer her own to control... Being reminded of someone else's sexual desires may not be the thing that helps.

Basically she's never been through this before either, so she may be as confused/blindsided as you are by her own reactions to stuff, so just talking frankly about it can be extremely helpful to you both!

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

Chernobyl Princess posted:

She may be as confused/blindsided as you are by her own reactions to stuff, so just talking frankly about it can be extremely helpful to you both!

This is a key point in any relationship, but boy howdy does it apply to pregnancy and parenting.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
Well at the ER, appears my wife is probably having a miscarriage :(

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

nesbit37 posted:

Well at the ER, appears my wife is probably having a miscarriage :(

I am so, so sorry. I know that I’m a stranger from the internet, but I’m thinking about you guys :(

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem

Hadlock posted:

I thought we had enough photo of our kid as a little newborn

Six months later we realised our mistake since he grew up to be a big boy so fast

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Chernobyl Princess posted:

It's never a bad thing to let your partner know you find them attractive, but you may want to have a conversation with her about why showing makes her feel gross. If it's less to do with feeling unsexy and more to do with a visible reminder of how her body is no longer her own to control... Being reminded of someone else's sexual desires may not be the thing that helps.

Basically she's never been through this before either, so she may be as confused/blindsided as you are by her own reactions to stuff, so just talking frankly about it can be extremely helpful to you both!

My wife's a flight attendant and I'm a plane mechanic, and now I've got a second job cuz baby so we get like single digit hours a week together. Sometimes it's literally just walk past her in a hallway and hug. And then she gets harassed all the drat time bc flight attendant, her uniform is anime schoolgirl. I feel so poo poo for not being able to help. Like she'll be all "ugh I had to throw up in LA today and I'm really scared it felt like I was about to have a heart attack" and I can't do poo poo for my favourite person. How do people do it?

e: and our relationship is perfect otherwise, like it's like there's no resentment it's just "i miss you" and sometimes "gently caress being pregnant sucks" and I want to help and I can't

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 01:42 on May 26, 2022

Chernobyl Princess
Jul 31, 2009

It has long been an axiom of mine that the little things are infinitely the most important.

:siren:thunderdome winner:siren:

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

My wife's a flight attendant and I'm a plane mechanic, and now I've got a second job cuz baby so we get like single digit hours a week together. Sometimes it's literally just walk past her in a hallway and hug. And then she gets harassed all the drat time bc flight attendant, her uniform is anime schoolgirl. I feel so poo poo for not being able to help. Like she'll be all "ugh I had to throw up in LA today and I'm really scared it felt like I was about to have a heart attack" and I can't do poo poo for my favourite person. How do people do it?

e: and our relationship is perfect otherwise, like it's like there's no resentment it's just "i miss you" and sometimes "gently caress being pregnant sucks" and I want to help and I can't

Yeah it sucks. You get through it by reminding yourselves there's an end date. 41 weeks maximum, and then it's over. Now you've got a different problem, sure, but personally I find having an infant easier than being pregnant. I really, really hate being pregnant. So maybe just reminding your wife that she's not broken for not loving this might be helpful.

Best thing you can do is use what rare times you have to express as much caring and affection as possible, if that's a "hey, cute butt" and a hug here and there, then that's what it is. You guys sound like you're no strangers to having weird schedules. You'll make it!

boquiabierta
May 27, 2010

oh hi constipation and insomnia. all I want is to sleep and poop, both are wildly elusive.

Doll House Ghost
Jun 18, 2011

Decided to go off contraception and this a weird stage to exist, knowing that there's a small chance of being/becoming pregnant. Don't want to really talk about it irl to anyone but feels weird and I wanted to tell someone!!

femcastra
Apr 25, 2008

If you want him,
come and knit him!
Good luck!!

Weirder still is the recently pregnant but not telling anyone and attending a work event and pretending to drink but really drinking soda and lime instead.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Anybody have some particular advice for twins?

Like my wife was scared but cool with the idea of one kid, the fact she's going to have to do two in one go is really getting to her. Which I get as much as I possibly can but I'm obvs not the one the has to be pregnant or give birth to two whole people. I'm scared for her. Yikes. I don't want my wife to be in pain and I feel useless as a partner and she's already in pain before the worst part and I hate how she feels like being sick or tired or poopin or whatever is shameful cuz it's ok lyubimaya I'm down for all of you. Anyways I'll have a baconator.

boquiabierta
May 27, 2010

Just found out my doula won’t be allowed in the hospital with us. Or rather, only one support person is allowed due to covid. It seems like every other covid restriction has been lifted but THIS one has to be the one they’re sticking with??

I live in Spain, I speak Spanish but there’s still a language barrier and I feel very strongly that I need my doula to be an advocate for me. I will be so incredibly anxious without her.

gently caress.

Not due til December so maybe this’ll change by then but I’m not hopeful. Please talk me down off the ledge, I’m freaking out 😭

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:
A doula should not be considered a loving support person :argh:

Emily Spinach
Oct 21, 2010

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Anybody have some particular advice for twins?

Like my wife was scared but cool with the idea of one kid, the fact she's going to have to do two in one go is really getting to her. Which I get as much as I possibly can but I'm obvs not the one the has to be pregnant or give birth to two whole people. I'm scared for her. Yikes. I don't want my wife to be in pain and I feel useless as a partner and she's already in pain before the worst part and I hate how she feels like being sick or tired or poopin or whatever is shameful cuz it's ok lyubimaya I'm down for all of you. Anyways I'll have a baconator.

No personal experience, but it's my understanding twins these days are usually born via scheduled C section, so at least she'll probably not have to shove both out. Not that a C section is easy peasy, it is major surgery and recovery can be a bitch, but it may be a comfort. Especially since it's probably not like she'd have to endure hours of labor before then doing the C section.

Boquiabierta, that sucks. I understand not being hopeful but December is a while away yet.

cailleask
May 6, 2007

They don’t have to be born by c-section. Depends on your and their medical condition, and who your doctors are. A friend of mine very recently gave birth to hers vaginally in the hospital and without complications.

Sleepytime
Dec 21, 2004

two shots of happy, one shot of sad

Soiled Meat
Any recommended podcasts / books for somebody who is newly pregnant?

My wife and I just did IUI and surprise! It worked. We have a few different resources that range from overly dense to overly fluffy and I figured this would be a good place to ask for recommendations as far as things we should be doing, what to expect, etc.

KasioDiscoRock
Nov 17, 2000

Are you alive?
Is she open to knowing exactly what to expect or does she want things a little sugarcoated? I’ve had 3 kids already but I’ve been listening to the audiobook of You Are A loving Awesome Mom by Leslie Anne Bruce and I wish I had known about it when I was first pregnant/the first few months after becoming a mom. It’s real talk about what to expect and certainly would have made me feel a lot less alone when I was going through the same things. But it could definitely also scare someone who is already a little nervous.

Grumio
Sep 20, 2001

in culina est
We used the Mayo Clinic Guide to a Healthy Pregnancy for a detailed medical side of things and Emily Oster's Expecting Better for a more sensible way of parsing all the medical advice and options

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Oh goodness. Apparently this is happening. I'm making a human bean...

I'm an observant Jew so we are very careful about not telling people about early pregnancy. I guess you all are my new confidantes...

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Congrats on baby WrenBean!

When does your culture announce things typically

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Hadlock posted:

Congrats on baby WrenBean!

When does your culture announce things typically

Thank you! You're the first person to congratulate me!

This is all within our community/culture, we don't think everyone should have the same culture we do - We generally tell our families after the first trimester. We would only talk about it to a stranger when the mother is obviously showing. It's considered rude and awkward to ask an obviously pregnant woman if she's pregnant though. Within our community, we don't say "congratulations," when we hear someone is expecting, we say "in a good hour," meaning approximately "may it be a healthy pregnancy that results in labor at the right time."

We don't have baby showers or prepare anything for the baby until the birth. (Well we buy the car seat and practice fitting it and then stash it at someone else's house.)

For us, because it's my first pregnancy, I won't bring anything baby related into the home until I have a baby. If people give us baby gifts we will put them at my parents' house. I understand that sometimes people in our position order baby stuff from catalogs and tell the company not to deliver it until they call. (If it's not the first child then there is no taboo against bringing baby stuff into the house.) I want to make a counting your children before they hatch joke but it's not coming to me.

Sounds wild and irresponsibly unprepared, right? When the mother goes into labor, the whole community springs into action! Friends and family make the nursery happen, people take gifts from other homes to the new parents home and set them up, we bring meals and put them in the new parents fridge and freezer, etc.

I hope that makes sense and isn't too longwinded! I can't sleep because I'm so happy and excited!

boquiabierta
May 27, 2010

WrenP-Complete posted:

Within our community, we don't say "congratulations," when we hear someone is expecting, we say "in a good hour," meaning approximately "may it be a healthy pregnancy that results in labor at the right time."

I am a non-observant Jew but I have always really loved this tradition. B’sha’ah tovah!

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

boquiabierta posted:

I am a non-observant Jew but I have always really loved this tradition. B’sha’ah tovah!

Amen!

How do I get signed up for the "my fetus is the size of a rutabaga" texts that I hear about? Are there good apps? I have been using Flo to track my cycle and switched it to the pregnancy version yesterday.

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

Sleepytime posted:

Any recommended podcasts / books for somebody who is newly pregnant?

Congrats! I've enjoyed Bumping: A modern guide to pregnancy a lot. I think it's the best resource I've found so far.

boquiabierta
May 27, 2010

I’m only 16 weeks and I already have to pee CONSTANTLY. I can’t imagine peeing more than right now so what tf is the third trimester going to be like 😭

e: on another note, curious about y'all's practices on announcing pregnancy on social media. If you do it, how do you decide when and how?

boquiabierta fucked around with this message at 14:05 on Jun 20, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

crumb by crumb in this big black forest

With both of my kids I basically just posted when I had the baby. Anyone I actually cared about announcing it to found out personally before that, and had anything gone poorly I didn’t have to explain anything on social media during a hard time.