Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

NoneMoreNegative posted:

You + folks ITT might like:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B08WS4N7DN/

I read through it last month and enjoyed it a lot.

Oops, not read this yet, just scrolling through twitter to see it's been released :cool:

https://twitter.com/maxybyrne/status/1531335420277039104

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man
Watched RRR. I can't remember the last time I watched a three hour movie that had three hours' worth of movie in it. It ruled.

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006
RRR?

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Don't you GET it Bart? RRR!

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dSxGAoWOxuk

Edit can't forget about the Naatu Naatu dance

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OsU0CGZoV8E

dokmo fucked around with this message at 11:23 on Jun 4, 2022

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012
I was not expecting RRR to be that gory. Lot of cues taken from 300, John Woo and Mel Gibson's historical flicks

High Warlord Zog fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Jun 5, 2022

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

I mumbled internally about "these god drat goons using acronyms for everything" and went back a few pages trying to figure it out until I googled 'rrr action movie' and then felt silly.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

More action films need dance scenes. :colbert:

https://twitter.com/Jovian_Sun/status/1532341490902618117?t=hH75D6LvUcDWr1_hBGjKcg&s=19

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I legitimately can't think of a movie that goes harder than RRR.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Roth posted:

I legitimately can't think of a movie that goes harder than RRR.

It's no avengement but it really earned its runtime and every action scene was really incentive and an absolute blast

Between it and EEAAO it's a great year for action with drama

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006
RRR is my first real experience into Indian action cinema so I had no loving idea what I was getting myself into.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Pillowpants posted:

RRR is my first real experience into Indian action cinema so I had no loving idea what I was getting myself into.

Go check out Baahubali 1 & 2 from the same director. I think they’re still on Netflix.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

I'm no expert on Indian movies, but the vast majority of Indian action flicks I've seen are pretty dull. Check out John Abraham's filmography for example, or the mustachioed supercop genre like Singam (although this movie was pretty good, most of them aren't). What sets RRR apart is that it goes as full bore as the crazier historical/fantasy epics like Baahubali, but it's still set in kind of the real world.

Or maybe I'm wrong, I'm definitely not an expert on these movies.

One of the defining characteristics of Indian action-oriented cinema to me is that they don't give a gently caress how "realistic" the cgi looks, they just want things to look cool. This is an aspect that throws off a lot of people more accustomed to Hollywood's emphasis on realism, but if you get in the proper headspace you can really enjoy janky cgi because it allows the action to go bananas.

dokmo fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Jun 5, 2022

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
There some movies that go as hard on action as RRR, but do any dance as hard? like really those legs are dead by the end of that song/dance off. Brits never had a chance.

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012

dokmo posted:

I'm no expert on Indian movies, but the vast majority of Indian action flicks I've seen are pretty dull. Check out John Abraham's filmography for example, or the mustachioed supercop genre like Singam (although this movie was pretty good, most of them aren't). What sets RRR apart is that it goes as full bore as the crazier historical/fantasy epics like Baahubali, but it's still set in kind of the real world.

The Baahubali duology is interesting because you see Rajamouli feeling his way into the more graphicly violent approach of RRR as it goes on. It starts out in the very PG place that's the norm for indian historical adventure dramas, then each set piece gets progressively bloodier (and the the use of CGI gets more flamboyant).

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
RRR was loving amazing. Beat action blockbuster in years. I love how it takes the Mel Gibson historical fantasy and updates it with modern action sensibilities like the Zack Snyder style action scenes. The music is wonderful.

While the water/fire imagery could easily be cliche it pulls it off perfectly.

Just great.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

I feel like the songs singing about what's going on in the film as it happens needs more of a nod too, it just added to how ridiculous everything was.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Oh so RRR is just up on Netflix. Guess I'll watch that sometime this week.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Is the Hindi version on Netflix noticeably worse than the original audio for someone who doesn't speak either language? Like does the dub sound unnatural etc?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Watching RRR(thanks for the heads up, I love Baahubali but I didn't realize this had dropped on Netflix), and this loving guy just threw a jaguar at someone. Literally.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Ha yeah that whole mid movie set piece rules from the moment he enters with what else can you call but a tidal wave of jungle fury.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Chas McGill posted:

Is the Hindi version on Netflix noticeably worse than the original audio for someone who doesn't speak either language? Like does the dub sound unnatural etc?

Personally I noticed it was dubbed from another dialect/language but it certainly isn't a deal breaker.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

Having grown up on a diet of kung fu and italian westerns I have been desensitized to the issue of bad dubbing, so I cannot comment on how well it was done in RRR, but I want to say that the vast majority of non-Hollywood action movies are dubbed in that they shoot the scenes without sound and loop the dialogue in later. I've noticed this is a little mental speedbump for viewers only accustomed to Hollywood movies, where most things are shot with sound (which is partly why Hollywood movies are a billion times more expensive to make).

got some chores tonight
Feb 18, 2012

honk honk whats for lunch...

Chas McGill posted:

I noticed it a few times at the beginning, but it wasn't a huge issue as the film moved on. It was particularly noticeable every time the actors were supposed to be singing, but that was obviously non-diegetic in an operatic fashion.

I absolutely loved the wirework in the jailbreak scene, although I have read complaints that it is "unrealistic" (I chalk it all up to the British Raj being staggeringly incompetent at everything, something the movie reiterates time after time). I have to rewatch the scene again, but it felt like that set was practical and it was really noticeable compared to the obviously green-screened forest scenes afterwards (although I do appreciate the slightly comic book CG). The choreography of Raju vs ten-thousand protestors in the beginning was great. The dance scene was great. Great action movie; I really didn't think I had it in me to watch a three hour action movie, but it certainly satisfied.

oh god oh fuck
Dec 22, 2019

I haven't watched the hindi dub but from what I know they dub over parts where characters speak English so you lose that aspect. Ram is bilingual so it helps shade him as someone who fits into English colonial society much more easily

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

oh god oh gently caress posted:

I haven't watched the hindi dub but from what I know they dub over parts where characters speak English so you lose that aspect. Ram is bilingual so it helps shade him as someone who fits into English colonial society much more easily

Pretty sure they didn't do that in this case. I remember at least a few times where he speaks English to the English officers.

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler
RRR was a delight, I was cheering the screen more then any time recently except Everything Everywhere.

Bizarre to read Naatu Naatu was filmed at Zelensky's Presidential Palace in Kyiv.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

More superhero and thriller elements than action, but action heads should pay some attention to this sequel, which is going to be in some theaters in a couple of weeks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k0FVwH2ExtM

The first one didn't have a lot of action, but what it did have was very interestingly conceived and filmed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nzGRBNXpZvY

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

ˇHola SEA!

High Warlord Zog posted:

I was not expecting RRR to be that gory. Lot of cues taken from 300, John Woo and Mel Gibson's historical flicks

MacheteZombie posted:

RRR was loving amazing. Beat action blockbuster in years. I love how it takes the Mel Gibson historical fantasy and updates it with modern action sensibilities like the Zack Snyder style action scenes. The music is wonderful.

While the water/fire imagery could easily be cliche it pulls it off perfectly.

Just great.

It wears its influences on its sleeve, this is definitely the stuff i thought of too. I also see some se asian/thai influence on the choreography, there's some tony jaa in the fighting styles for sure

dokmo posted:

Watched RRR. I can't remember the last time I watched a three hour movie that had three hours' worth of movie in it. It ruled.

I always feel like Indian blockbuster cinema, especially south indian but really to some extent across the board, follows a philosophy of "if you paid for a movie ticket, you get every kind of movie". There gonna be fight scenes, dance scenes, romantic comedy, melodrama, historical commentary, you name it.

Basebf555 posted:

Pretty sure they didn't do that in this case. I remember at least a few times where he speaks English to the English officers.

There's something weird going on with the scene where he convinces the governor to execute Bheem outside the city instead of in the prison, he keeps switching between english and hindi seemingly at random. other than that yeah he uses english when it makes sense for him to.

null_pointer
Nov 9, 2004

Center in, pull back. Stop. Track 45 right. Stop. Center and stop.

DeimosRising posted:

he keeps switching between english and hindi seemingly at random.

Somewhat off topic, but I've seen this before, in all places of a cooking video. The dude would just jump between Hindi and English phrases, without any seeming order to it. It. Maybe it's just something that happens with Hindi speakers?

a shitty king
Mar 26, 2010

dokmo posted:

Having grown up on a diet of kung fu and italian westerns I have been desensitized to the issue of bad dubbing, so I cannot comment on how well it was done in RRR, but I want to say that the vast majority of non-Hollywood action movies are dubbed in that they shoot the scenes without sound and loop the dialogue in later. I've noticed this is a little mental speedbump for viewers only accustomed to Hollywood movies, where most things are shot with sound (which is partly why Hollywood movies are a billion times more expensive to make).

Maybe in the 60s but these days everyone uses sound. It's cheaper to hire a sound team to record sound on location than it is to bring back an actor for ADR (though all films do that to an extent), hire an ADR studio, etc.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

ˇHola SEA!

null_pointer posted:

Somewhat off topic, but I've seen this before, in all places of a cooking video. The dude would just jump between Hindi and English phrases, without any seeming order to it. It. Maybe it's just something that happens with Hindi speakers?

does anyone know if he does that in the telugu version?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

null_pointer posted:

Yea I'm pretty sure it's commonplace in countries where people are brought up to speak both the native language and also English. So kids speak English from a very early age and they're used to just mixing the two together because you can assume that anyone you're talking to is going to know both languages. It seems odd to Americans because so few of us actually know a second language and so you have to stick to English in conversation unless you really know somebody well.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
I hope RRR gets a nice physical release, but not sure how common that is with South Asian films like this.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
I finally got around to Deadbeat At Dawn, and that is a cool movie. Awesome stunts for a low budget movie.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

dokmo posted:

One of the defining characteristics of Indian action-oriented cinema to me is that they don't give a gently caress how "realistic" the cgi looks, they just want things to look cool. This is an aspect that throws off a lot of people more accustomed to Hollywood's emphasis on realism, but if you get in the proper headspace you can really enjoy janky cgi because it allows the action to go bananas.

What makes me lol about the above is that I don't want most films to be realistic, the Marvel films picking LIVE ACTION versions of comic books is a wild idea that kinda doesn't work for me because they seem to want to ground everything whilst also telling tales of ridiculous poo poo. I finally got round to watching End Game a few days after watching RRR and honestly nothing in it got anywhere near RRR in terms of action which is mad disappointing. You have all those incredible superheroes and the action is wank. There's like 2 cool moments in the entire film and they're both within a minute's worth of fight. RRR in comparison is like a loving highlight reel of rad action but it's 3 hours long. Insane.

If anyone knows of any other Indian stuff or anything non-Hollywood that is doing anything half as cool as RRR then please let me know, I'm obviously missing out.

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug
You should definitely check out the same director's previous movies Bahubali 1 and 2.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G62HrubdD6o

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Man, RRR owns so hard

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
Just wanted to share this clip from a movie I’m tracking down ASAP

https://youtu.be/PPVi8y0_s2s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Band of the Hand is on Tubi. If you like 80s Michael Mann movies, check this out.