Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD
:dukedog:

Mendrian posted:

Game should take a page from idlers and add a prestige mechanic.

gently caress no, worst thing to happen in any game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
To put vampire survivors bullet hell into a better mental area for some people

It is like the old school side scrolling rail shooters but no rails or auto scrolling.

You might control your shots in those games. Some times. Othertimes you just held down a button and shot non stop.

Like this game looks to be good, not as good, but in the sense of a good side scroller.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1975360/DRAINUS/

Vizrt
Oct 1, 2009

Grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brotha', I hurt people.

Chinook posted:

Yeah. I dove too deep, too quickly. Now I'm looking for similar games. That has not been fruitful. Any contenders?

I've been enjoying the demo 10 Minutes Till Dawn on Steam, the full release (20 Minutes) is on the 8th.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

haven't played the new level yet and I'm gonna have a crack later today, what was it someone said before about mutually exclusive / locked parts of the level? you can't do both in different runs?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

tithin posted:

haven't played the new level yet and I'm gonna have a crack later today, what was it someone said before about mutually exclusive / locked parts of the level? you can't do both in different runs?

I think if you go in with a non-secret character then you'll trigger something before the "survive 15 minutes" part.

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD
You can't access the entirety of the new stage (and thus unlock the newest tier of content) if you go into it with any of the following hidden characters: Red Death, Leda, Ex-Dash, Toastie, MissingNo. They added an indication of such to the level select menu so make sure to choose a "normal" character and you'll be fine.

Tetrabor
Oct 14, 2018

Eight points of contact at all times!
I'd say Vamp Survivors belongs to a new category in the SHMUP genre than in Bullet Hell, which is more about enemy projectiles.

Magic Survival calls itself a Hack n' Slash on the store page, but that's probably because the developer is translating.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Honestly Vampire Survivor reminds me more of stuff like Crimsonland than anything else. SHMPs are close but I feel like the build/perks/leveling stuff is a lot more in line with that.

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003
There are two new levels.

One is a Green Acres-style bonus with EVERYTHING on the floor, good luck dinging every single accessory to 7 in 15 minutes of exp but using the new upgrades on a non-secret character unlocks an alternate result to time over.
One is an extended, failable cutscene that disappears permanently on completion.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

enemies are just projectiles when you think about it

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

M_Gargantua posted:

thats why I love old school SHUMPs like Raiden

They're still making R-Types but they are pretty bad. Almost better to go with MAME and replay Battle Garegga, Armed Police Batrider or Darius.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Chinook posted:

Yeah. I dove too deep, too quickly. Now I'm looking for similar games. That has not been fruitful. Any contenders?

It is definitely not the same gameplay (think a wave-based shooter with tank controls and momentum and wrap-around screens like Asteroids) but Nova Drift's upgrade system might scratch the same itch. You "draft" between a random selection of upgrades when you level up (by collecting orbs!) and they build upon and synergize with each other in various ways with the potential for some real gamechanger stuff.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

That bonus level was the DOPEST poo poo

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009

Chinook posted:

The Jank is tremendous and different while the early times are, indeed, Early---but Nomad Survival has some clever twists to it and is updating at a fairly decent pace.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1929870/Nomad_Survival/

CARRIERHASARRIVED
Aug 25, 2010

bought this after seeing 5 seconds of gameplay and boy I haven't had this much fun in a warcraft 3 custom map in ages. I can't stop loving garlic because of that soul eater, even if I get the feeling it's a bit suboptimal. although honestly my heart belongs to the song of mana. I can't ever pass it up even if it takes 20 levels and 4 items to get Good

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

CARRIERHASARRIVED posted:

bought this after seeing 5 seconds of gameplay and boy I haven't had this much fun in a warcraft 3 custom map in ages. I can't stop loving garlic because of that soul eater, even if I get the feeling it's a bit suboptimal. although honestly my heart belongs to the song of mana. I can't ever pass it up even if it takes 20 levels and 4 items to get Good

I think garlic is great early on, before you reach the point (through meta-game upgrades and other mechanics) that it is basically impossible you will ever die in the first 25 minutes. It allows you to slip past enemies and hold them back a little bit, and that helps a ton at that point. I pretty much never used it later on, though.

CARRIERHASARRIVED
Aug 25, 2010

yeah, garlic is one of those items thats incredibly appealing, especially early, for the damage output it seems capable of, but as soon as you encounter an enemy that takes more than two hits of garlic to knock down (which is inevitable) you absolutely must have something that can take advantage of that knockback debuff to justify the investment of levels/items. honestly, the knockback is probably the better reason to get garlic than its damage because it can really save your rear end combined with the bibble or something, as the damage of garlic is outclassed by so many things after the 10 minute mark

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009

"I'm sick and tired of reading these posts!"

Chinook posted:

The demo for 20 Minutes Till Dawn is very inspired by Vampire Survivors, though you do have to aim if that's not a dealbreaker.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

Honestly Vampire Survivor reminds me more of stuff like Crimsonland than anything else. SHMPs are close but I feel like the build/perks/leveling stuff is a lot more in line with that.

Crimsonland, ubermosh, Geometry Wars, super stardust (please port it Sony), Beautiful Mystic Survivors, Spirit Hunters, Grim Horde. So excited for 20 Minutes Til Dawn.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
i think that if most devs released a fun little early-access game for $3 that was suddenly purchased by everyone, everywhere, they'd be satisfied to add a few new items and characters and enjoy their filthy lucre

this dev did not need to make something like Holy Forbidden but I'm glad they did

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

ExiledTinkerer posted:

The Jank is tremendous and different while the early times are, indeed, Early---but Nomad Survival has some clever twists to it and is updating at a fairly decent pace.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1929870/Nomad_Survival/

Oh wow, this is really solid. It's not Vampire Survivors but it's clearly made by someone who understands why Vampire Survivors is good, and also has their own ideas they want to implement. It's certainly not perfect but it's $3 and I think the devs "get it" more than any of the other games in the genre I've tried. Thanks for the rec, I didn't know it existed until now.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Oxxidation posted:

i think that if most devs released a fun little early-access game for $3 that was suddenly purchased by everyone, everywhere, they'd be satisfied to add a few new items and characters and enjoy their filthy lucre

this dev did not need to make something like Holy Forbidden but I'm glad they did

Yeah, I think what VS has some flaws a huge chunk of the goodwill towards it is that it's a fuckin' 3 dollar game that genuinely is getting more care and updates than a lot of Early Access titles.

Ardryn
Oct 27, 2007

Rolling around at the speed of sound.

goferchan posted:

Oh wow, this is really solid. It's not Vampire Survivors but it's clearly made by someone who understands why Vampire Survivors is good, and also has their own ideas they want to implement. It's certainly not perfect but it's $3 and I think the devs "get it" more than any of the other games in the genre I've tried. Thanks for the rec, I didn't know it existed until now.

Oh yeah, there are a couple warts but this is the best VS/MS clone I've seen and played so far.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

0.7 spoiler trailer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9XlHfTqUzdo

Looks like the usual new evolves and new character plus a permanent Holy Forbidden?

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

I'm glad this game inspired by Castlevania is finally adding the Vento Benedetto.

Crissaegrim

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

njsykora posted:

0.7 spoiler trailer

Looks like the usual new evolves and new character plus a permanent Holy Forbidden?

Devlog lists 0.7 as having the first iteration of Stage 5 plus a new character, a new weapon and its evo, two new Arcanas, and the last new pickup. It drops in three days.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

I love picking up the freezing explodes arcana followed by wands can freeze then wands bounce

BrianRx
Jul 21, 2007

Jedit posted:

Devlog lists 0.7 as having the first iteration of Stage 5 plus a new character, a new weapon and its evo, two new Arcanas, and the last new pickup. It drops in three days.

I should probably stop playing this so that I don't burn out before all of the content is released.

I'm not gonna, though.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

njsykora posted:

0.7 spoiler trailer

I hope this means they're adding voice acting.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Begemot posted:

I hope this means they're adding voice acting.

Doubtful, those voiceovers were literal shitposts. In order:

"Previously on Vampire Survivors"
(when looking at 'cheevos) "here's another lovely patch"
(holy forbidden) "everything's lost" (intended meaning all hope is lost)
(gallo tower?) "For friendship"
(Christine in the new? stage) "This [level] is empty, there's fuckall here"
(egg shop) I'm not even going to try to explain "the knife grinder is here"
(the pope) *unintelligible*
(??? in Gallo tower) "launch da bomb"
(Concetta offbounds in Gallo tower) "The situation is dramatic"
(egg shop again) "eggs eggs eggs :sickos:"
(triple chest into holy forbidden) "It's the end of the world" -> "jackpot"
(Pugnala next to the shop) "What do you want/need" (in fake old grandma voice)
(the loving mess) "he/she/it is our last only hope" (subject not present)
(coffin) "auntie Assunta"

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~
Your lovely shrine maiden fox wife, Tamamo no Mae, is here to help!

Mierenneuker posted:

I'm glad this game inspired by Castlevania is finally adding the Vento Benedetto.

Crissaegrim

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought of that.

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD
looks good, can't wait

Qwezz
Dec 19, 2010

I'm feeling some good vibrations!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ejrnDxDluII

a general trailer just released for the game to share with relatives/friends/colleague from work to show what's the thing keeping you up at night neglecting them.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
Decided to try out a build around the Arcana that make more things cause freezing, cause explosions while freezing, and also the one that adds bounces to the wand. Absolutely tears through everything- as the round ended I was leveling every few seconds and moving freely through the 29-30 wave crowd. Briefly thought I might hit level 200, but not quite. This also included a Gold Fever that lasted nearly two minutes because things were spawning and dying so fast, right up until I hit a "fewer, tougher" enemies wave.

Looking forward to that patch in a couple of days!

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Patch is out on the beta branch!

I just did a run of the fifth level, it's pretty cool! Except for the part where blue death showed up and chased me north for like ten solid minutes, until I finally killed him. It's a good thing I played as Pugnala or it would've taken even longer, bleh.

The player character doppelganger enemies and the piles of coffins are interesting... the plot thickens.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Anybody else jad an issue where the wasd keys stop moving you for a second after picking up a chest?

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Lmao what the gently caress is this new weapon

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003

Begemot posted:

Patch is out on the beta branch!

I just did a run of the fifth level, it's pretty cool! Except for the part where blue death showed up and chased me north for like ten solid minutes, until I finally killed him. It's a good thing I played as Pugnala or it would've taken even longer, bleh.

The player character doppelganger enemies and the piles of coffins are interesting... the plot thickens.

If you're doing a normal character and don't get wings he just plain outruns you to death. I think the idea is to used the guaranteed crucifix just south of spawn (but on the other hand that also kills the angel (but on the third hand, i sure hope you're not supposed to babysit that thing for 30 minutes.))

Not sure what +3 projectiles to song is doing for me, but the attractor is amazeballs for greedy runs. Poof and everything in the stage is on top of you.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Mandoric posted:

(but on the third hand, i sure hope you're not supposed to babysit that thing for 30 minutes.))
[/spoiler]

He peaces out at like ~10 minutes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003
The punishment for choosing Crissaegrim is hearing a wet fart every second for 30 minutes. Absolutely bellissimo. :discourse: