Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

Helim needed to be invisible.
Having a lot of complex emotions about this.

If they were ever going to do it, this would be the way to do it.

edit: snipe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

This is the best way they could do it, but I wish they didn't have to.

On a personal level, I kinda wish they wouldn't, but it's not up to me, and I really just with Miura wasn't dead but life ain't that kind eh

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Sindai posted:

Somehow I missed the short memorial manga Mori Kouji wrote about his friendship with Miura: https://mangadex.org/chapter/19929f9d-a210-4fe4-91af-5ef3f2436328/1

Holy moly do not ready this unless you've got a stiff drink nearby. The fact that an auto-biographical manga about Mori's friendship with Miura wasn't just a one-off memorial thing to sort through his own feelings, but rather a project they'd talked about doing together for years and Miura constantly hounded Mori over, until he finally agreed they'd write it when they'd reached their 60's is gut wrenching. They were basically joined at the hip for 40 years, which is just an unfathomable amount of time to a 30 year old whippersnapper like me, now Mori's alone left not only to finish Berserk for Miura, but also to by himself write the story of their life together that they'd made a pledge to collaborate on. :smith:

Can't even begin to imagine what kind of emotions that man must be going through. Nothing but respect for the fact that he chose to take up the mantle of closing out Berserk to the best of his abilities.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Allegedly, Mori's initial pitch for wrapping up the series was publishing an article (with illustrations) summing up Miura's intentions for the finale. Last year, when the news first hit, my best friend and I commiserated over his death and discussed the manga, and we both agreed that'd be our preferred way to conclude the series.

Obviously that's not what they're doing, but that Mori felt similarly to us (if hearsay is viable) gives me that additional pinch of faith in his ability to see things through. He gets it, man, he gets it.

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

Helim needed to be invisible.
It's not really allegedly if it's just what Mori straight-up says in the text pic in the tweet

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse
I just really hope fans won't be too nitpicky if things aren't like, absolutely perfect. :smith: Nothing is without criticism but at least take the context of the situation in to consideration.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
These are enormous shoes to fill. Best of luck to Mr. Mori and the team.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Bad Seafood posted:

Allegedly, Mori's initial pitch for wrapping up the series was publishing an article (with illustrations) summing up Miura's intentions for the finale. Last year, when the news first hit, my best friend and I commiserated over his death and discussed the manga, and we both agreed that'd be our preferred way to conclude the series.

Obviously that's not what they're doing, but that Mori felt similarly to us (if hearsay is viable) gives me that additional pinch of faith in his ability to see things through. He gets it, man, he gets it.

I mean, that's what he himself says in his letter to the fanbase. So it's not really allegedly.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

LordMune posted:

It's not really allegedly if it's just what Mori straight-up says in the text pic in the tweet

Burkion posted:

I mean, that's what he himself says in his letter to the fanbase. So it's not really allegedly.
Read through it again and you're right. Guess my eyes just glazed over that bit.

I recalled the article comment from Skullknight, so I slapped allegedly on there. My bad.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
:/ i dont think its disrespectful or anything. just let old things go already. i am suspicious if it is known exactly how the godhand was going to be dealt with

ETURNA
Jul 3, 2006

Narayan
Mori is the optimal choice, IMO. He'll pull this off.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Relin posted:

:/ i dont think its disrespectful or anything. just let old things go already. i am suspicious if it is known exactly how the godhand was going to be dealt with

They were friends for 40 years and he states that he was told the whole story to the ending.

At this point you either choose to take him at his word or not.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
As far as it goes he says that he's known the story of Berserk for the past 26 years, and that it hasn't changed since the day he heard it. And that they've constantly talked about it since. So I'd say he can get about 60% of the way there. It's not the story we would have gotten, but combined with his art staff [Who loved the man to death, he was an amazing boss] it's the best something like this could go short of literally having a word for word bible for the next 7 years or whatever it would have taken to wrap it up.

Will it satisfy everyone? Hell no. Will it even satisfy most? Probably not. Is it a fitting enough tribute for the people that loved him? Sure, they have the right. Everyone else can just give it a miss or * it if they want. Or they can read a summary after it's done.

e: Like they weren't "Kind of good friends". Mori lived with Miura's family when he was in high school, and Miura was going to live with Mori when Berserk finished. Which was a thing he was planning on being relatively soon. They were also both mangaka who talked about manga together their entire lives, and Mori has worked on Berserk before. He is literally the only person who could do this with the respect it deserves if anyone is.

Mulva fucked around with this message at 07:58 on Jun 7, 2022

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

Burkion posted:

They were friends for 40 years and he states that he was told the whole story to the ending.

At this point you either choose to take him at his word or not.

Nah, I'm just going to smugly disagree with a very close friend of the author.

This is obviously the best outcome. Worst case scenario you can ignore that it ever continued :eng101:

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
He's probably in a much better position than I am to divine what Miura's wishes for this situation would be.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

I think it will eventually feel right. It’s not like it’s being taken over by Disney. It’s clear this will be a very personal project still. My first impulse was tension and discomfort, but after a little reflection, we know this is a story about overcoming insurmountable pressures. Taking these continued issues as an artistic pursuit in itself, is it not appropriate to support the man’s struggle to do right by his long time friend?

Edit: If his team pulls this off it will be such a beautiful thing.

Kart Barfunkel fucked around with this message at 08:41 on Jun 7, 2022

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I give him the greenlight. Good or bad, it will still wash away the taste of the 2016 anime.

That's something.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
You have to keep moving forward. It's okay for someone else to help you across the finish line.
This guy seems like an artist and not a soulless cash-grabber doing a job. I'm optimistic. It wont be as good as what Miura would have given us, but that's fine. Miura is dead. That's awful, but that's the truth. And what's Berserk if not about accepting that the world you live in is not the one you might want, but still managing to find and make your own happiness despite that?

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Well I'm loving excited to see an ending and even if it's not straight from the man himself, this will probably be as close as it can get, so gently caress it, go for it and good luck

FiftySeven
Jan 1, 2006

I WON THE BETTING POOL ON TESSAS THIRD STUPID VOTE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS HALF-ASSED TITLE

Slippery Tilde
I think this is what Miura would have wanted, and I am glad that if they are going to do it, its going to be done by someone who really clearly obviously loved Miura and will do everything he can to maintain the integrity of his story.

Its an awful shame that this is the way things have to end for Berserk but I am glad that they are in a position in which they feel like they can do it justice.

Tosk
Feb 22, 2013

I am sorry. I have no vices for you to exploit.

I posted in this very thread shortly after Miura died about how bad of an idea I thought continuing Berserk would be, but this is definitely the best case scenario for that happening. I think Kouji Mori is a competent mangaka and with Miura's team behind him has a real chance of succeeding.

I wish them luck. I'm sure he knows better than any of us what Miura would have wanted, so props to Kouji Mori for being willing to put in the effort to see his friend's life work reach its conclusion.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep
Mori's love and friendship with Miura will shine through and for that alone he deserves some good will. Godspeed Mori

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Good soup! posted:

Tbh I still hope they ultimately keep it going
Guys can I get an image of guts rising from the grave?

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

HIJK posted:

Mori's love and friendship with Miura will shine through and for that alone he deserves some good will. Godspeed Mori

Pindakaas
Jul 8, 2003

I'm not a baby I'm a man! An Anchorman!
Hopefully we’ll get more than a chapter a year.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Anyone who was fine with Sanderson finishing Wheel of Time for Jordan will probably also be fine with this.

Tolth
Mar 16, 2008

PÄDOPHILIE MACHT FREI
Man, we might actually get to live in a world where both Berserk and HxH are releasing regularly at the same time. Very briefly, probably for 1 or 2 weeks, but still.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

I'll be reading to the end. I hope that Mori and the team feel like they delivered something Miura would be proud of.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Anyone who was fine with Sanderson finishing Wheel of Time for Jordan will probably also be fine with this.

I sure was and I'm glad that his best friend is going to the chance to close out the story that was clearly central to their lives.

Berserk is probably as fine a manga as there is, so I'm glad it will get a conclusion and we know the art team is going to go balls to the wall to make their mentor proud.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

I look forward to Berserk: Shippuden happening and Guts opening his closed eye to reveal a Sharingan.

Super Rad
Feb 15, 2003
Sir Loin of Beef
Took me some hours to come to terms with this news and in the end I can't deny that I'm excited to see what comes of all this. Knowing that this will also bring some closure to Mori and everyone else with a personal stake in this project is nice. I think YA knew exactly what they were doing publishing that last chapter. The chapter before would have been an acceptable spot for the manga to end but the last one is just too much of a cliffhanger, strugglers worldwide are dying to know what arises from Griffith appearing in Elfheim.

Mr. Fish
Sep 13, 2017

INLAND EMPIRE — This is a team with a lot of past, but little present. And almost no future.

Jiro posted:

I look forward to Berserk: Shippuden happening and Guts opening his closed eye to reveal a Sharingan.

I look forward to Puck and Guts doing the fusion dance to form the super-entity Putz

But seriously, this is wonderful news. I cannot think of a better candidate to take the reins from Miura. I'm sure he'd be okay with this.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
I like that my post saying "They've got to continue or branch off from this manga in some form at some point" is the last one before the "hey they're continuing BERSERK" post. My original thought was that they'd directly continue the story of BERSERK and its characters, and I'm very glad that's happening. While it's not the absolute best case of having lots of notes and dense story details known, it sounds like we've got the guy that's most in the know heading things up from here. I'm glad that Muira's story should end up being told to completion.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Imagine if Berserk becomes a monthly manga again :pwn:

Sindai fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Jun 7, 2022

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Sindai posted:

Imagine if Berserk becomes a monthly manga again :pwn:

HxH returns to monthly publication, Berserk returns to monthly publication, and One Piece goes on a one month hiatus before per Oda moving into its final arc.

That's three horseman of the apocalypse right there. All we need now is a Haruhi S3 announcement and we can firmly set a date for the Rapture.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Honestly this is the best case scenario. You have a whole team on board who can emulate his art, you have a best friend with verified experience in the Manga and storyline and outline, people who care deeply about it, and not just the money (tbh that is a part of it, since that was a non-zero portion of YA and Dark Horse's IP) vs the option of never getting anything from it. An artist with a perfect outline word for word is an oxymoron, it doesn't happen

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

I guess this is about the best way it could happen, and I definitely have a selfish desire to see how it all ends after all the time I've spent reading this over the years, so I hope they can maintain the magic. Part of me thinks it's still a questionable decision and I'm a bit skeptical that anyone else is gonna be able to recapture the magic of his art and writing, but it sounds like his team was more involved in the illustration process than I realized.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
I could be reading the statements wrong but what it sounds like is the "last" chapter we got of Berserk was pretty incomplete with whole panels missing out of pages, and Gaga specifically asked Mori to come in and help tease out what Miura intended to put there.

Which - if true - definitely brightens my prospects for what's to come. Yeah the chapter definitely felt a bit rushed and sloppy in a few places, but the core spirit that anchors the series was still very much present.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
i hope its good. truly. and with more than one person at the helm i could imagine it actually releases steadily