Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

The Butcher posted:

It's usually white and expensive, and makes you annoyingly engaged so I'm not sure why that would be a good tactic to try to incapacitate someone.

Easier to send a young white girl in a girl guide uniform to pretend to try to sell the lead brained ones cookies, then when they open the door the "thug" adults can rush the place to raid the medicine cabinet for their blood pressure meds.

They're talking about scopolamine blown into someone's face, not coke (but as someone said above that's unlikely to do poo poo and is way sensationalized)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

Suburban boomers thinking their neighborhood is turning into The Serpent and the Rainbow over here.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

dr_rat posted:

https://www.drugs.com/illicit/devils-breath.html

TLDR: Drug that you can blow into someone face and control people. Tabloids like to write scary stories a lot. Is a real drug, but mostly used for spiking drinks and acts like other date rape drugs. likely not to do very much if actually blown into someones face.

So something they saw in an old kung fu movie and assumed was real.

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ToQ8PWYnu04
Vice journalists seem to think it works. Maybe they have sensationalized the subject though.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?

Quaint Quail Quilt posted:

Vice journalists

Lol

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

A Fancy Hat posted:

Suburban boomers thinking their neighborhood is turning into The Serpent and the Rainbow over here.

lol yep they afraid they penis gonna get spiked. Just kidding it's the racism. Like... they imagine some dude with a bone in his nose and bein all Screamin Jay Hawkins is going to steal their tacky poo poo. lol

Dang It Bhabhi! fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Jun 4, 2022

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

These are the people who think that if a car pulls behind you on the highway at night, you're literally about to be murdered via a gang-initiation ritual.

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

I got one for y'all. A lot of my relatives are log truck drivers and I have heard them saying, on numerous occasions, that if someone stops their car in the middle of the highway at night, they are not going to stop for fear of being hijacked and will plow into the car full speed.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Who is hijacking log trucks

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem

steinrokkan posted:

Beavers

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Desperate to stop that drat rushing sound by blocking off the whole highway

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

steinrokkan posted:

Have you seen lumber prices these days? Sheesh. Who wouldn't hijack a log truck?

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

log truck is what i named my rectum

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

It takes D's hole fuel

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

Welcome to the world of AIDS.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

log truck is what i named my rectum

Mine is the reverse sawmill. Stuff goes in, logs come out.

Tex Avery
Feb 13, 2012

Brawnfire posted:

Now that I know who is arming the pigs, I'm SUUUUUUUUUUUUUE-IIING!

This is a quality dumb joke, and I can't wait to annoy the hell out of my lovely wife by using it.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

My sincerest apologies to her

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Goons cause another divorce

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Edmund Sparkler posted:

Welcome to the world of AIDS.

Dozerfleet is that you?

OGDanDogg
Sep 16, 2002
Somebody was probably blowing their knockout drugs too hard.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

My favorite urban legend like that is definitely the old "asprin-in-coke" thing.

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost
I hear the witches have been messing with the wind. We should probably have some trials and root them out.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time
Today a local middle aged lady on Nextdoor was baffled that someone would knock on her door asking if one of her cars was for sale. She thought it might ne a trick or someone out to rob her. A bunch of other people chimed in that it was probably one of the crooked Roma family that run a bunch of shady used car lots up on 82nd Ave, and that they were trying to rip her off. Now to be fair, there is a family that owns a bunch of shady car lots up there, they are Roma, and I have observed them propositioning a bunch of random people in a grocery store parking lot trying to buy their cars. And based on my own dealings with them and their bank accounts It would not surprise me if they were crooked. But like, assuming that anyone coming to the door asking to buy an older car you have in the driveway must be a wiley Roma car salesman out to scam you is a little on the nose.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

Pennywise the Frown posted:

Like my ex-wife?! :downsrim:

:roflolmao:

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
Lol this old lady thinks a gang of perfidious travellers are going to scam her out of her car and put it into a trafficking ring just because there's a gang of perfidious travellers up the road that scam cars into a trafficking ring lmao

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist
It seems like a weird model to just go up to people and ask if they want to sell you their car. It seems like something that people are either considering doing and taking active steps to do so, or not considering it at all, in which case a stranger coming up and asking if you're selling it seems really weird to me. Like they expect the person to say "you know, I wasn't really thinking about selling my car, but how much were you offering?"

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Sometimes I get texts asking to buy my house... Also seems pretty ineffective to me

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
Ooh do you get the postcards with fake "handwriting" font from agencies saying that your friendly "neighbor" would give you cash for your house?

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Yeah, do those things work on someone? If so... how? I suck at figuring out scams

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

A Strange Aeon posted:

It seems like a weird model to just go up to people and ask if they want to sell you their car. It seems like something that people are either considering doing and taking active steps to do so, or not considering it at all, in which case a stranger coming up and asking if you're selling it seems really weird to me. Like they expect the person to say "you know, I wasn't really thinking about selling my car, but how much were you offering?"

To me it would only make sense in case of nostalgia. If the car is more than 20 years old so there are people who associate that model car with a better time in their lives. A car they wanted or a car their family had back in the day. Since it's 20 years old it's not worth much, so you can offer 10% over bluebook value and maybe live your dream.

knuthgrush
Jun 25, 2008

Be brave; clench fists.

I dunno that I'd think it's some kinda crime ring but if someone knocked on my door trying to buy my KIA I'd be a little confused.

One time an older lady knocked and asked to buy my house. I was dumbfounded and just told her it's not for sale and closed the door. Was very weird.

In hindsight, she was probably distracting me so her urban friend could try to steal my KIA...

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

to be fair car prices all over are wild at the minute and it's not unreasonable that people don't know that their 5yr old weekly supermarket car is now worth more than they originally paid for it

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost
The car ones I have no idea what the angle is, but the knock knock "I'll buy your house!" ones are just desperate junior dipshit real estate people fishing for bigger idiots.

Around here they send out what looks like hand written notes that they will buy no questions asked. I guess it's to make dummies think "hey, this is a normal person like me!" or some poo poo to build trust.

I don't know if it's some cutesy font or they actually wrote it, I don't care to check, it's just getting recycled either way.

The Butcher fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Jun 7, 2022

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

therobit posted:

the crooked Roma family that run a bunch of shady used car lots up on 82nd Ave

Tell me you're from Portland without telling me you're from Portland.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

Unperson_47 posted:

I got one for y'all. A lot of my relatives are log truck drivers and I have heard them saying, on numerous occasions, that if someone stops their car in the middle of the highway at night, they are not going to stop for fear of being hijacked and will plow into the car full speed.

Well that explains this:

https://twitter.com/safetyalertsmn/status/1532124452330393600?s=21&t=b-6hSm6x_nlQUDMXY5cLRQ

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

A Strange Aeon posted:

The few I ran into this guy (always at work when he would come in to deposit checks and draw out cash) he was a giant sleaze ball of a used car salesman and everywhere he went he’s asking “HEY who’s got a car to sell me? When are we gonna do a deal Robit? What kind of car do you drive? OH a VOLVO? How old is it? You looking to change? I Can make you an offer here, today. I’ll handle the paperwork if you don’t have a loan on it. No? HEY Robit’s Coworker when are we gonna do a deal on that truck?” He was a mixture of someone you might suspect of being in the mafia and like The CRAZY Eddie type used car salesman gimmick from local TV commercials back in the 80s.

He apparently also has dozens of nephews out there scouting cars for him. There’s other stuff about this guy that was shady but I can’t go into because of banking privacy laws. I’m sure he was interested in ripping people off both buying and selling cars, but like that’s not something you need to worry about in terms of safety. And , uh, you know they mentioned the family’s ethnicity for a reason. Like, these people are afraid partly because they are afraid of the world, but like at least half of the motivation in this instance is just straight up naked bigotry.

Some of the boomers on ND were complaining about his nephews coming around wanting to buy their car and then returning several times to ask again after being asked not to come back. I don’t know if they were just people that had well preserved, in demand cars or if they lived in proximity to him or what.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
It feels like the kinda scam that would have worked a lot better in the pre-internet age.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

You guys don't get the cards in your car windows? Might be a Europe thing. Traders send people around to stick little business cards with buying offers to every car they can find, and they're mostly looking to export them to other countries where there's a demand for older cars. Not even necessarily a scam, they might lowball you on the price or you might even get a fair deal, but you're not gonna get the very best deal and the cards tend to annoy carhavers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

Tell me you're from Portland without telling me you're from Portland.

I was just thinking this