Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

I mean, there are definitely some thematic elements that are associated more with one or the other -- fantasy is more often about the horrors of war and sci-fi is more often about what it means to be human, for example, but those aren't hard-and-fast rules either. But, the stuff I mentioned about Dragon Quest -- kings and curses and prophecies and Dark Lords that were defeated by a legendary hero but are coming back unless we do something about it, and so on and so forth -- is, I would argue, more representative of the idea of "fantasy" than "someone holds a sword".

But the lines are blurry and the exceptions are many and a lot of stuff is both fantasy AND sci-fi and there's not much point in arguing it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

communism is when no food

fantasy is when elves and dwarves

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
Dawi from another hold arrive...tis a great day.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

The commonly-accepted definition for fantasy is "there has to be magic" I think

Sci-fi is a little harder but really "sci-fi is when spaceships" isn't that unheard-of of a definition either

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

imo scifi is about exploring a situation or question that is either facing or about to face society

fantasy is about her small breasts shifted beneath the leather jerkin

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Are psionics fantasy , scifi, neither, or both

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005
fantasy: the men 100% have hairy bods, the women maybe do as well

sci-fi: hair is forbidden

Zvahl
Oct 14, 2005

научный кот

Plank Walker posted:

fantasy: the men 100% have hairy bods, the women maybe do as well

sci-fi: hair is forbidden

that's why fantasy is better

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

is bloodborne sci-fi?

Zvahl
Oct 14, 2005

научный кот
it's both because the first half is very hairy and the second half is very slimy

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

:aaaaa:

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
Watched RRR last night, it loving ruled.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Communist Thoughts posted:

imo scifi is about exploring a situation or question that is either facing or about to face society

Science fiction, famously, is never horny

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

Communist Thoughts posted:

If the breasts aren't "fantastic" it's not fantasy, it's historical fiction. SDMH it's right there in the name and everything

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003
prescriptively, fantasy contemplates the known impossible as a means to either skip directly to examining a set of implausible social relations or a means to get the reader to lay aside their prejudices about the social relations depicted, while sf contemplates the possible but not yet seen or achieved to examine how it would affect social relations.

descriptively, fantasy has distinctive hats while sf has distinctive helmets.
a society which believes itself at the end of history can't write future history, only create a set of genre-written metaphorical galapagoses.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

loquacius posted:

The commonly-accepted definition for fantasy is "there has to be magic" I think

Sci-fi is a little harder but really "sci-fi is when spaceships" isn't that unheard-of of a definition either

Baru Comorant is weird here being set in a completely different universe that's technologically largely in our past, but then features absolutely no supernatural elements (at least in the first book.)

Miss Lonelyhearts
Mar 22, 2003

Primer is a sci-fi film and is set on earth and doesn't have a spaceship. It's also not very horny.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
The nicest thing about RRR is that general filmmaking proficiency in India is reaching high enough levels to appropriately pair up with it's larger than life scope.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Genres aren't real.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

hm i dont think this discussion of defining the difference between science fiction and fantasy is goony enough but what else is there to discuss thats even goonier

https://mobile.twitter.com/ronravegan/status/1534191299988840449

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Broke: Final Fantasy is actually sci-fi because there are robots

Woke: Star Trek is actually fantasy because Captain Kirk fucks all the time

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Lord of the Rings, the most significant genre-defining work of fantasy as we know it today, is actually sci-fi, because nobody fucks

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://mobile.twitter.com/DannyCepticon/status/1533837136142671874

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Some Guy TT posted:

hm i dont think this discussion of defining the difference between science fiction and fantasy is goony enough but what else is there to discuss thats even goonier

the tiny controller my god i had forgotten

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

targeted right at me when I was 14

POWELL CURES KIDS
Aug 26, 2016

genre is a construct we use to connect and analyze ideas. furthermore, in sci-fi the specific term is "ephebophilia", whereas

Some Guy TT posted:

i've always wondered how Miss Loss feels about her deeply personal tragedy becoming such a comedy sensation

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
Some sci-fi has magic in it but I can't think of any fantasy without it. Much to think about.

Open Source Idiom posted:

I wouldn't say homophobic, but it's certainly anti-kink and therefore inherently queerphobic IMO.

Edit: maybe that needs unpacking, so okay. In the activist circles I used to run in, before I got too sick to continue doing that kind of stuff, it was always understood that the queer community wasn't just about LGBT rights, but also taking a stand for other forms of sexual marginalisation. The Boys is very ready to make statements about how capital will co-opt anything in order to sell more stuff and make number go up, but the show is still operating within the overton window of what capital considers acceptable to sell to.

This season's had four sex scenes, all of them involving villains and some kind of kink -- sounding and size play, quasi-beastality (honestly something closer to furry content tbh, it's a difficult one to pigeon-hole), some light BDSM, and some mother fetishism -- and they're all about how depraved the characters are. One scene cuts immediately from three characters having sex to another character throwing up.

It's not great, and honestly makes the show a little hypocritical. Even Frenchie's sexuality is treated as a bit of a joke, like "he's so crazy, he was in a thruple and bottoms". Sure.

Everything I hear about The Boys makes it sounds like a competent adapatation of typical Ennis stuff - the sexual politics seem part for the course then.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/alex_abads/status/1534169017564467202?s=20&t=POGRfYO25V4OfvMjVfbX0Q

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

YaketySass posted:

Some sci-fi has magic in it but I can't think of any fantasy without it. Much to think about.

Gentlemen of the Road
Gormenghast
The average goon's sex life

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Gentlemen of the Road isn't fantasy, it's historical fiction

Like, I don't think anything with no magic/supernatural elements can even pretend to be fantasy if it takes place on historical Earth since the historical-fiction genre exists

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Lord of the Rings is the most important Catholic religious text originally written in English

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

loquacius posted:

Gentlemen of the Road isn't fantasy, it's historical fiction

Like, I don't think anything with no magic/supernatural elements can even pretend to be fantasy if it takes place on historical Earth since the historical-fiction genre exists
One of the Fafhrd and the Gray Mouser stories takes place in iirc medieval Turkey, but obviously they get there and back via magic.

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

That's like saying near-future sci-fi isn't sci-fi unless it involves properly outlandish technology.

Genres are all made up, historical fiction that isn't retelling confirmed events is close enough to fantasy to count imo and I'm fully aware that most will disagree but I just don't care.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

FFT posted:

One of the Fafhrd and the Gray Mouser stories takes place in iirc medieval Turkey, but obviously they get there and back via magic.

Yeah, things can still be fantasy if they take place on Earth (that's what "low fantasy" is, as opposed to "high fantasy" which takes place in an original setting) but they really do need to contain fantastical elements

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Big Mad Drongo posted:

That's like saying near-future sci-fi isn't sci-fi unless it involves properly outlandish technology.

Genres are all made up, historical fiction that isn't retelling confirmed events is close enough to fantasy to count imo and I'm fully aware that most will disagree but I just don't care.

I mean

yeah if your near-future sci-fi story doesn't involve any tech that doesn't exist on Earth it's, like, an airport thriller

like, we have other genres that exist to describe the stuff you're talking about. This is dangerously close to faction b) from my original post

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

where does the hit anime series cop craft fall on this spectrum where the premise is that faeries are real but theyre treated like space aliens in a contemporary setting

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Is Gravity a sci-fi movie?

huh. Well I'll be

POWELL CURES KIDS
Aug 26, 2016

Some Guy TT posted:

where does the hit anime series cop craft fall on this spectrum where the premise is that faeries are real but theyre treated like space aliens in a contemporary setting

how ACAB is it

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

The science-fiction epic Gravity uses the fantastical technology known as "space suits" as a metaphor to ask an important question about human society: what if you got stuck in space and couldn't get back to Earth, man would that loving suck or what

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

eh not particularly since the story is a wunza plot where a regular vice cop partners with a pedobait fairy