Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

my cat is norris posted:

hello, i am now taking name suggestions

it has been a week and i still have 21 healthy screaming babies

Volailltron
Gallus Gallus Bolly
Fowler Prowler
Lydia

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Casserole

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

my cat is norris posted:

Tractor.

Lord/Lady Fluffbottom von Wiggletufts

Dennis.

Hysterical Calliope, Dark Creature of the Slumbering Nethers, Watcher of Souls and Eater of Worms.

Cherry

Toast

Drumstick

That Which Lies Beyond, Keening Into The Infinite Sky.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

god thank you for these name suggestions, i'll be drawing later tonight so keep 'em coming

why have i gotten so many people to suggest DENNIS, what does it meeeeeean

ChaseSP posted:

So uh, there's been an issue with one of our girls we've been trying to fix for a while iwth no luck. Our smallest barred rock keeps having large red spots on her shoulders and wings and doing dye sprays hasn't been helping, been spraying her with mite treatments and other things too but I never see any of the other girls peck at her. What is going on and any suggestions besides just outright separating her until the feathers grow back?

By "red spots" do you mean patches of bare skin or like...raw/wounded/irritated skin?

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe

ChaseSP posted:

So uh, there's been an issue with one of our girls we've been trying to fix for a while iwth no luck. Our smallest barred rock keeps having large red spots on her shoulders and wings and doing dye sprays hasn't been helping, been spraying her with mite treatments and other things too but I never see any of the other girls peck at her. What is going on and any suggestions besides just outright separating her until the feathers grow back?

You could try a hen saddle. I’ve seen ones with a wing extension piece so it might cover all the damaged area. After a couple of weeks it should be obvious if the feathers are trying to grow back or not.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

my cat is norris posted:

god thank you for these name suggestions, i'll be drawing later tonight so keep 'em coming

why have i gotten so many people to suggest DENNIS, what does it meeeeeean

By "red spots" do you mean patches of bare skin or like...raw/wounded/irritated skin?

Red, it might be sunburn due to summer or other things but we've been seeing it for a while. She's also our smallest girl so we're worried it might just be some intense pecking order stuff going in on her. We don't have a rooster anymore so it's not from mounting or anything like that.

City of Glompton
Apr 21, 2014

Joburg posted:

You could try a hen saddle. I’ve seen ones with a wing extension piece so it might cover all the damaged area. After a couple of weeks it should be obvious if the feathers are trying to grow back or not.

I've had success with these. i got two from Old Five Notch Farm on Etsy. both of my frizzles are getting their wing feathers back since wearing them

mahershalalhashbaz
Jul 22, 2021

my cat is norris posted:

i am so happy for you :3:

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe
Sad
All 3 Khaki Campbell ducklings died this afternoon. :cry: I saw their mom Claudia by herself and went looking for the ducklings. All 3 were dead, laying near each other, and rigor hadn’t set in yet. I couldn’t find any injuries and it wasn’t overly hot today so a toxin is the only thing I can think of. Maybe ducks just aren’t for me. :(

Claudia Duck is hanging out with Ivy Duck again so maybe Ivy won’t have to sleep in the chicken coop anymore. When she went back in the chicken coop to lay her egg this morning she chose No Hat’s nest box and it was complete pandemonium for a few minutes. Some chicks were still in the nest so No Hat attacked, then Fauna attacked, chicks were running around screaming, it was a mess. I like having the families in the main coop for safety but it does increase the drama in my life.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

I'm so sorry about your ducklings.

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Just got back from the vet with Willow. X-rays shows she's backed up with yolk matter inside, but as it's not ascites (liquids) built up, diuretics and antibiotics can't help.

So that leaves an operation or pts.

She's over nine years old, but has only been with us 11months so Willow still seems a youngster. She's still eating and drinking and digging around the garden, but she's also now standing hunched with her tail down.

The operation is a big one and only one of our hens over the years has survived it. We're talking through what's best for Willow.

spookygonk fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Jun 6, 2022

mahershalalhashbaz
Jul 22, 2021

spookygonk posted:

The operation is a big one and only one of our hens over the years has survived it. We're talking through what's best for Willow.

oh no, beautiful girl :glomp: the cycle of joy and tragedy in this thread never ends. you've already done so much for willow, and that love will lead you to make the right decision. these little creatures that break our hearts

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe
So sorry about Willow’s illness.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

ah poor sweet lady :sympathy:

City of Glompton
Apr 21, 2014

City of Glompton fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Oct 9, 2022

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Sorry people, we said goodbye to Willow this afternoon.

She had a lovely morning in the sunshine with her flock sisters, and lots of her favourite snacks and treats.

Willow centre, Nova left, Molly right & Bella at the back

Willow, a Buff Sussex, came home to us on the 21st of July 2021 and got to over 9 years old. She was our first non-rescue chicken
and she taught us and the other hens so much about a real garden hen and bug hunting out in all weathers.

spookygonk fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Jun 7, 2022

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Rest well, sweet Willow!

lekker
May 27, 2022
poor willow, what a cutie.

here are my dinos. they are ok, just enjoying a sunny patio nap.

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

Used to be that only my next door neighbor and I had chickens but then a second neighbor recently got chickens and soon a third neighbor is gonna get chickens too. Chickens for everybody!:henget:

I'm spreading community resilience

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

spookygonk posted:

Sorry people, we said goodbye to Willow this afternoon.

Roost in peace, Willow :love:

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

So adorable, snoozing together!

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

So a couple of days ago I went downstairs in the morning and opened the front door to let the dog out. As I opened the door, she went out, and this bugger ran in! They ran through the living room, behind the bikes and behind the tv-stand and ended up huddled in a corner under a bookshelf, which is why they're covered in cobwebs.

The parents let up quite a racket when I took 'em back outside, little guy stood on my hand for a good 30 seconds before finally taking off.

mahershalalhashbaz
Jul 22, 2021

sweet willow :sympathy: she was beautiful

spookygonk posted:

She had a lovely morning in the sunshine with her flock sisters, and lots of her favourite snacks and treats.

Willow centre, Nova left, Molly right & Bella at the back
this is the most gorgeous photo. look how happy they all are :unsmith: they love each other!

mahershalalhashbaz
Jul 22, 2021

blessed x 2

lekker
May 27, 2022

I enjoy this grumpy face

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

Just completed the large Snap Lock coop for the new flock. Pretty easy to put together, as long as you remember which side goes out. It's pretty big, and so should be good for our six chick flock.

Next up is the huge run, a metal pipe and wire mesh affair. I'll be adding increased protection by burying chicken wire around it and covering the lower couple of feet with hardware cloth.

It's tall enough to walk upright in, and ten by fifteen feet. The coop will be under the mulberry tree for shade, but they'll have afternoon sun off to the side. And the occasional dropped mulberry. It's weird, last year was the first year the tree produced anything. This year the birds discovered it and picked it clean before we had a chance to get any.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

Enfys posted:

I have had to bring Pecks inside for some TLC as she isn't doing well :(

She has been either staying in the coop or standing next to the spot I found Grumpy dead, refusing to move. She hasn't been eating or drinking.

The other chickens are behaving normally and seem healthy and well but are avoiding her completely.

I'm not sure exactly what to do with a depressed chicken, so I'm hoping a change of scenery and some attention will help. So far she's drunk and eaten a hot mash, so at least there's that. She seemed to enjoy flinging mash all over the place anyway :unsmith:

Well, found Pecks dead today :(

It's not the biggest surprise as she never really recovered from the loss of her friend despite our best efforts to cheer her up and distract her, but it's still heart-breaking.

Initially she would eat and drink and perk up a bit when we brought her inside, but as soon as we brought her outside again she'd frantically check for Grumpy and then lose interest in everything again and just go into a corner by herself. Eventually she stopped looking for Grumpy, but she also stopped having any interest in anything anymore, even if brought inside or offered treats and attention.

As weird as I feel saying it, she seems to have died of a broken heart :cry:

The other hens are all doing ok, though the flock dynamics are very off and there's more scuffling.

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Oh, I'm so sorry. That's so sad, poor Pecks. :smith:

Enfys posted:

she seems to have died of a broken heart :cry:

Chickens do grieve the loss of a flock member. Ours have been more quiet since Willow left and Bella was looking round the house calling out yesterday.

mahershalalhashbaz
Jul 22, 2021

Enfys posted:

Well, found Pecks dead today :(

It's not the biggest surprise as she never really recovered from the loss of her friend despite our best efforts to cheer her up and distract her, but it's still heart-breaking.

Initially she would eat and drink and perk up a bit when we brought her inside, but as soon as we brought her outside again she'd frantically check for Grumpy and then lose interest in everything again and just go into a corner by herself. Eventually she stopped looking for Grumpy, but she also stopped having any interest in anything anymore, even if brought inside or offered treats and attention.

The other hens are all doing ok, though the flock dynamics are very off and there's more scuffling.
this is the saddest thing :( they are together again, wherever they are, sharing their mysterious bird energy :glomp:

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe

Enfys posted:

They had an amazing friendship.

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe
Large Marge is back at it.

I thought about whether to let her hatch again or not, and decided that I’d rather she brood in June while it’s “cooler” rather than have to do the broody breaker all summer.

Since Rose’s second brood of the year hatched so poorly I am setting some of Marge’s eggs in the incubator as well as putting a few under her. Some of the eggs have been refrigerated, so I added a couple more. We will see what happens!

Edit: I just did the math and Marge weaned her previous brood only 23 days ago. She LOVES being a mom!

Joburg fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Jun 11, 2022

mahershalalhashbaz
Jul 22, 2021

Joburg posted:

Large Marge is back at it.

this bird :swoon:

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

Large Marge!!! :swoon: :love:

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Marge for mother of the year.

A bunch of these beebs went to a lovely rural home today. The remaining 12 are mine to love.

That Old Ganon
Jan 2, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

my cat is norris posted:

A bunch of these beebs went to a lovely rural home today. The remaining 12 are mine to love.
It feels like I was watching them scurry around as lil peepers just last week, what the gently caress.

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe

my cat is norris posted:

Those zip ties remind me of the flow markers in a wind tunnel. Now I’m imagining quail learning to fly in a wind tunnel. :3:

mahershalalhashbaz
Jul 22, 2021

my cat is norris posted:

they are absolutely gorgeous and glowing with health :3: you've done an amazing job

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
Something got into my coop and killed 3 of my 6 last night. :( Hadn't even started laying yet.

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Speleothing posted:

Something got into my coop and killed 3 of my 6 last night. :( Hadn't even started laying yet.

Oh god, I'm so sorry. :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe

Speleothing posted:

That’s awful! :(