Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

CODChimera posted:

marketing?

This is really it. Say what you will about Disney, they know their fanbase extremely well and exactly what strain of catnip to give them.

I'm impressed that more hasn't been made of Vader's voice being done by AI, to be honest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Timby posted:

This is really it. Say what you will about Disney, they know their fanbase extremely well and exactly what strain of catnip to give them.

I'm impressed that more hasn't been made of Vader's voice being done by AI, to be honest.

That's going to come later. Right now they're still in full on "No, it really WAS James Earl Jones, we swear!" denial territory. Like they were with Deep Fake Luke for about a month until Mark Hamill came out and said he didn't utter a single line on set as Luke for either Mando or Book of Boba Fett.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

teagone posted:

Only 2 episodes left so not much else they can do lmao.

Season 2, babyyyyyyyyy.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

nine-gear crow posted:

That's going to come later. Right now they're still in full on "No, it really WAS James Earl Jones, we swear!" denial territory. Like they were with Deep Fake Luke for about a month until Mark Hamill came out and said he didn't utter a single line on set as Luke for either Mando or Book of Boba Fett.

Episode 3 literally had Respeecher in the credits, so it's going to come soon.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Off the subject, I finally got around to watching the 2003 Clone Wars series. Not a huge fan of Anakin’s VA (though it might just because I’m so used to the Filoni version) but it was pretty decent overall.

I kind of like the 3D series better though but the two compliment each other pretty well (the original covers some stuff the Filoni series didn’t and the latter expands on some stuff addressed by the former).

Out of curiosity, is the 2D series the only time where the battle droids WEREN’T voiced by Matthew Wood?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
He didn't start voicing in Star Wars until 2005 during the post production on Episode 3. He just worked at Lucasfilm and filled in for the VA work.

The guy who voices Anakin isn't as good as Lanter but he's dead accurate to Episode 2 Hayden.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Jun 8, 2022

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Larryb posted:

Out of curiosity, is the 2D series the only time where the battle droids WEREN’T voiced by Matthew Wood?

I think Wood only took over the battle droids after the movies were done - they actually had quite a few actors over the years, since they're so heavily processed it doesn't really matter who does the voice in most of their appearances.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Robot Style posted:

I think Wood only took over the battle droids after the movies were done - they actually had quite a few actors over the years, since they're so heavily processed it doesn't really matter who does the voice in most of their appearances.

Ah, I could have sworn he did at least some of the movies (he might have been Grievous in ROTS at any rate but I could be wrong) but nevermind then. It’s just a lot more noticeable in the 2D cartoon as they lack the squeakiness of their other appearances.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Jun 8, 2022

Mr. Funktastic
Dec 27, 2012

College Slice

Anita Dickinme posted:

loving wack. There better be some drat flashbacks or some poo poo with him. :argh:

If I had to guess in the last episode Vader and Obi-Wan will encounter each other again and Vader takes off his helmet to reveal a hosed up Hayden Christensen.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Is it just me, or was the lightsaber choreography this week pretty lame? Like they clearly just told Ewan and Moses to wave their glowsticks around and they'll add blasterfire in post?

Obivously this is what all Star Wars live action stuff has done, but I feel like the prequels and the even the Ahsoka Mando episode looked a hell of a lot better than this.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Larryb posted:

Ah, I could have sworn he did at least some of the movies (he might have been Grievous in ROTS at any rate but I could be wrong)

He was Grievous, yes. Gary Oldman was originally going to be the voice, but he backed out after learning that Revenge of the Sith was a non-SAG production and refused to be a scab. So Wood stepped in.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

nine-gear crow posted:

Like they were with Deep Fake Luke for about a month until Mark Hamill came out and said he didn't utter a single line on set as Luke for either Mando or Book of Boba Fett.

That's not what's shown in the Disney Gallery Episode for Book of Boba. They did takes with Mark Hamill acting and saying Lukes lines.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Larryb posted:

Ah, I could have sworn he did at least some of the movies (he might have been Grievous in ROTS at any rate but I could be wrong) but nevermind then. It’s just a lot more noticeable in the 2D cartoon as they lack the squeakiness of their other appearances.

Yeah, he was Grievous in the movie. He submitted an anonymous audition under the name "Alan Smithee" since he didn't want his existing job on the movie to influence his chances.

Though with Alan Smithee being a well known Hollywood alias, Wood potentially already knowing what direction Lucas wanted to take the character, and having more ability to add bells and whistles to his evil robot voice than other actors, his thumb might still have been on the scale a bit.

The rumor at the time was that Gary Oldman was going to play Grievous, but dropped out after finding out it wasn't a SAG production. Depending on how true that actually was, Wood's take on the character might have already been in the movie as temp voice that they decided to keep when Oldman fell through.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
huh i got to the end and thought that went by really quickly and checked and yup it was just over 30min long

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Mr. Funktastic posted:

If I had to guess in the last episode Vader and Obi-Wan will encounter each other again and Vader takes off his helmet to reveal a hosed up Hayden Christensen.

:hmmyes:

site posted:

huh i got to the end and thought that went by really quickly and checked and yup it was just over 30min long

Yeah I finished and was like, “Welp alright time to get ready for work” then looked at my phone and was like, “Nope! Time to watch more TV.”

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007
Look, Bernard. Bernard, look. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Bernard! Bernard. Bernard. Look, Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard! Look! Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Look, Bernard! Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Bern
Did I miss something?
When people are entering the water planet base, you see at least a dozen TIE Fighters hanging from the hangar's ceiling outside.
Then later, when the heroes escape, nobody thinks to launch those TIEs? Instead we force-throw a box at one of their speeders and then just stand and watch while the other escapes?
(I know, tracking bug and all, but the Empire could've put on a bit more of a show)

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

The airspeeders showed up and did their thing pretty quickly, probably just wasn't enough time to scramble the TIEs. I bet an airspeeder has no problem outpacing a TIE ion engine in the atmosphere.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Arc Hammer posted:

He can't wear the suit for the fight scenes because the suit doesn't have enough flexibility to do all of his crazy spinning saber tricks.

That's too bad. I hear it's a good trick.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Jehde posted:

The airspeeders showed up and did their thing pretty quickly, probably just wasn't enough time to scramble the TIEs. I bet an airspeeder has no problem outpacing a TIE ion engine in the atmosphere.

TIEs are 1200 air speed
Speeders are 1100 air speed

ergo...

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Robot Style posted:

Yeah, he was Grievous in the movie. He submitted an anonymous audition under the name "Alan Smithee" since he didn't want his existing job on the movie to influence his chances.

Though with Alan Smithee being a well known Hollywood alias, Wood potentially already knowing what direction Lucas wanted to take the character, and having more ability to add bells and whistles to his evil robot voice than other actors, his thumb might still have been on the scale a bit.

The rumor at the time was that Gary Oldman was going to play Grievous, but dropped out after finding out it wasn't a SAG production. Depending on how true that actually was, Wood's take on the character might have already been in the movie as temp voice that they decided to keep when Oldman fell through.

Beat you to that by 15 minutes. :)

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

I thought the last episode was actually pretty fun, as a star wars romp. Leia's actress does a great job, Reva much better, Obi+Tala were fun. It still hovers below the quality mark of the best of Mandalorian, but it isnt as weird as the end of episode 3.

I think the writers/directors/creators/whomever just really need to land more of the "believability" aspect of things. Its not something that really gets me, but its obviously a sticking point for people. "Should our characters have a weird moment where they stand infront of a million guns then escape easily?" Maybe just contrive a way to not do that! Tighten up the scripts! book of boba fett and obi wan have had really lackluster plotting.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Vinylshadow posted:

TIEs are 1200 air speed
Speeders are 1100 air speed

ergo...

...the TIE pilots were all napping?

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Everyone posted:

...the TIE pilots were all napping?

Given they were able to fly the shuttle in without fanfare, air traffic control might very well have been complacent

After all, who in their right mind would attack an Imperial base in the rear end-end of nowhere in the middle of an ocean? (That everyone seems to know about anyway...)

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

This one was okay I guess, some really dumb bits but overall more solid as an episode as part of a larger story

Mr. Funktastic posted:

Probably though I'd guess the end of episode 5 leading into episode 6.

It would be hilarious if he took off the helmet and looks halfway normal, "The Bacta finally worked!" and then Obi-Wan tosses him into a volcano again

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Vinylshadow posted:

Given they were able to fly the shuttle in without fanfare, air traffic control might very well have been complacent

After all, who in their right mind would attack an Imperial base in the rear end-end of nowhere in the middle of an ocean? (That everyone seems to know about anyway...)

Honestly, an Imperial base in rear end-end of nowhere in the middle of an ocean would probably be a decent target for Rebels because it's sheer isolation would make it difficult to reinforce.

The deal-killer for me would be that it's on a planet in Darth loving Vader's home system.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
I played this episode, almost beat for beat, in Fallen Order

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
I see the fortress security is just as poo poo as it was when Cal and Cere broke in, goddamn. And I properly laughed out loud at the shot of the officer guy just lying in plain view of anyone who might walk past his office. It's just so sloppily done when, of all things, they should have made sure they had their poo poo together for this. And yes, the sabre props just ain't cutting it either. Leia owns though.

There better be some actual Anakin/unmasked Vader in the next couple of eps else why even bother bringing him back? Pah.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Barry Foster posted:

Only NERDS play vidya gaemz so I guess they felt they could get away with it. :shrug:

gregday
May 23, 2003

Logged in and legit thought he had a big ol googly eye.

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009
If they have ghost Hayden again, I wonder if they'll shoot him with a telephoto lens again or they'll use some of the show's four-digit budget to deage him.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

gregday posted:

:monocle:

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Barry Foster posted:

Yeah it's pretty funny.

Timestamped if you've never played the game and are curious. It's extremely close to the scene in the episode.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sg0rXa1WnZc&t=422s

This scene takes place 5 years before the Kenobi scene. drat, upgrade your loving windows already.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

gregday posted:

I love how all the promo images utilize the Tatooine twin suns motif when the show hasn't been back to Tatooine since Episode 1.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

MLSM posted:

Doesn’t the mere existence of Sith ThunderThighs & the Inquisitor nonsense alone violet the Rule of Two with the Sith?

Stop saying thunder thighs you chauvinistic prick

ghostinmyshell
Sep 17, 2004

I am very particular about biscuits, I'll have you know.
I thought I skipped an episode as they were on the planet and were talking to this Roken guy as if we we knew him. I enjoyed the shenanigans of this episode but the shot of the speeder 10 ft away from Reva was just too funny.

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem

Robot Style posted:

Which first appeared as an animated character in Rebels, turning the Vader hood into a space hat:

Before being translated to live action and changing the silhouette of the hat again:

Lmfao thats supposed to be the same character??

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

Everyone posted:

Honestly, an Imperial base in rear end-end of nowhere in the middle of an ocean would probably be a decent target for Rebels because it's sheer isolation would make it difficult to reinforce.

The deal-killer for me would be that it's on a planet in Darth loving Vader's home system.

They're in the mustafar system which no one wants to go to because its the spooky vader system, and no one would be stupid enough to attack the inquisitor base, and the empire has an inherit superiority complex.

To me that definitely explains them having no shields, lax sensor crews and tie fighters not on proper hot standby.

The whole entry system feels like TSA security theatre too.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

the show is still bad, but this episode did have a bit of a goofy "gently caress it" Xenia warrior princess vibe to the ending so I actually liked it more. I know this show isn't going to be "good," so I can enjoy the fact that everyone is getting a nice paycheck. Also some of the worst green screen work I've seen in a long time. The beginning "meeting" looked bad.

It's funny how quickly this has fallen off the "conversation" charts too. People on twitter barely talk about it, and are still talking about stranger things, breaking the common wisdom of the last couple of years that weekly drops are superior. It turns out, having the better show is superior.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

And looks like it'll be a nothing show with The Boys and now Ms.Marvel being incredible right out the gate.

If Andor doesn't bring the heat up they are hosed until Mando and Ahsoka which is a ways off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Butterfly Valley posted:

Stop saying thunder thighs you chauvinistic prick

Seriously, it's super loving weird.