Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

It's pretty wild that we're 3 months into this and Zelenskyy can still travel around Ukraine fairly freely and can even consider a vacation to Madrid.

I think he really doesn’t want to leave country even for a second, so, on a second thought, attendance is going be a rather strong signal for the quality of seal on the invitation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Ola posted:

I'm thinking inside coup, surprise assasination and then subsequent very painful civil war, but I think that's better than the current situation .

What's the scenario for a civil war, palace revolution makes more sense. I see neither regions nor institutions nor military units coming to blows with one another, it's just gonna be about who ends up in control of Vlad's phone at the Kremlin.

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.

mobby_6kl posted:

Hungary, sure, doubt it's Czechoslovakia. They've been very supportive short of some oil sanctions I think.

Sadly I don't think you could hit 200km/h in a Lada

You push it up a steep enough hill first, maybe.

Paladinus posted:

Two of them are Denmark and the Netherlands. The Netherlands was also against the visa-free regime for Ukraine back in the day.

I would be very disappointed in the Dutch if this turns out to be true. They had a referendum in 2016 about it, and the people were against it then.
But a lot has changed since then, broader public seems to be for it now, don't know if politicians will follow.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

Russian propagandists going full medieval with their suggested execution techniques
https://twitter.com/JuliaDavisNews/status/1534554247278247936

cinci zoo sniper posted:

I think he really doesn’t want to leave country even for a second, so, on a second thought, attendance is going be a rather strong signal for the quality of seal on the invitation.

Yeah by "invited to" they mean he'll be zooming in, not physically in Madrid.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Youth Decay posted:

Yeah by "invited to" they mean he'll be zooming in, not physically in Madrid.

Eh, that’s a nothingburger then.

Bone Crimes
Mar 7, 2007

I’m having a hard time understanding the German response.
It seems like the calculus should be something like:
  • RU has started an unprovoked war of conquest just one country over.
  • Signs pointing to genocidal too.
  • Various RU mouthpieces have said their intent is to not stop with Ukraine, and originally said they wanted to go all the way to the eastern border of Germany.
  • The real force of NATO -that thing that forms the basis for German security- (the US) has had a leader with wobbly NATO commitment recently, and may have again in the not to distant future.
  • Germany seems to have almost zero defenses.

Also: Ukraine may be able to break the ability of the RU to continue in this fashion, if they are properly supplied.

Thus they should be very interested in supporting Ukraine?

Instead, it seems the calculus is now:
  • Gosh, we need that gas, otherwise our economy might be hurt a little, what’s the minimum we can do to look like were on the Ukrainian side, but really keep our close RU contacts where we get our beaks wet?
It just seems extremely short sighted from a security perspective. Trying to keep relations with a country that starts wars of conquest in your own backyard – it’s just baffling. Am I missing something?

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.
It’s a have your cake and eat it too response. What they would really like is for there to be no war and to comfortably buy cheap Russian oil and gas. But that’s not an option and there’s no option in the short to medium term that will get that. And they haven’t grasped that yet.

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

Ola posted:

I'm thinking inside coup, surprise assasination and then subsequent very painful civil war, but I think that's better than the current situation .

I believe just the opposite. People will just stop doing things. Army guys will just stop. Police guys will just stop. Legal offices will just stop. Oh they'll keep going to work, but they just won't listen. It will be painfully slow. Then one day it will be someone other than Putin, and people, like before, will just keep going to work and some sort of normalcy will be seen to be preferable.

Or they could just go full Soviet Union for the cheap bread and pensions and be a pain in the rear end all over again for everybody.

I'm 50/50 on either of them.

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.
A somewhat typical story for our Belgian military:

In 2008, the army got rid of all its 64 M109A4BE 155mm self-propelled howitzers.
In 2015, 38 were sold to Indonesia, the rest to a private company for a dumping price of €15,000 each.

In April the government wanted to buy them back and send them to Ukraine. But the company asked 10 times the price, and negotiations halted.

Now it turns out they were send to Ukraine anyway. Someone else bought them, but it's not clear who and for how much.

https://www.brusselstimes.com/belgium/231363/belgium-will-not-send-howitzers-to-ukraine-due-to-unreasonable-prices
https://mil.in.ua/en/news/ukraine-h...6-0-gaNycGzNCGU

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
Germany also appears to be the target of really, really heavy Russian propaganda, which further fucks up their ability to respond.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Bone Crimes posted:

• Various RU mouthpieces have said their intent is to not stop with Ukraine, and originally said they wanted to go all the way to the eastern border of Germany.
  • The real force of NATO -that thing that forms the basis for German security- (the US) has had a leader with wobbly NATO commitment recently, and may have again in the not to distant future.

Also: Ukraine may be able to break the ability of the RU to continue in this fashion, if they are properly supplied.

• Gosh, we need that gas, otherwise our economy might be hurt a little, what’s the minimum we can do to look like were on the Ukrainian side, but really keep our close RU contacts where we get our beaks wet?
It just seems extremely short sighted from a security perspective. Trying to keep relations with a country that starts wars of conquest in your own backyard – it’s just baffling. Am I missing something?
Either the Russian army is gunning on a non-stop campaign that wants to reach the eastern border of Germany or the Ukrainain army, even desperate for military offerings from the west as it is, is stopping them quite respectably before they even reach the Dniepr.

Since the latter is the current reality, Germany is focused on not burning bridges and gunning on this being solved sooner than later. Why would they burn relations with Russia for your sake?

This is literally not Germany's problem. They got a million refugees from Syria alone and that didn't stop Germany from continuing diplomatic relations with the US or Turkey. Destroying relations with Russia over a three month war is the epitome of being short sighted.

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

JerikTelorian posted:

I have to imagine that this is going to be an absolutely massive block to resuming agricultural operations right? Even if you clear the UXO, chemicals and shards have to be a major concern.

Parts of northeast France are still a dead zone, over a century after the WWI armistice, and not just because of UXO.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

:siren: Public service announcement - D&D rules have been reviewed, and concisely rewritten. https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4004166&perpage=40&noseen=1#post524050279

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Mans posted:

Either the Russian army is gunning on a non-stop campaign that wants to reach the eastern border of Germany or the Ukrainain army, even desperate for military offerings from the west as it is, is stopping them quite respectably before they even reach the Dniepr.

Since the latter is the current reality, Germany is focused on not burning bridges and gunning on this being solved sooner than later. Why would they burn relations with Russia for your sake?

This is literally not Germany's problem. They got a million refugees from Syria alone and that didn't stop Germany from continuing diplomatic relations with the US or Turkey. Destroying relations with Russia over a three month war is the epitome of being short sighted.

Are you Scholz-whispering or is this what you actually think?

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

I have noticed people starting to develop attitudes towards the Ukraine war resembling that of impatient adults trying to convince children to end their games so they can all go home. People in my industry seem to think Russia will persist as a valuable exporter of energy and as an economic partner to various nations and are showing willingness to throw Ukraine under the bus just to make the war stop and things go back to normal. It's really disturbing and I fear for the state of this war as people start losing interest in favor of whatever the next big thing on the news is. I bet Russia is counting on that. To drag the war on enough and remain a "contender" just long enough for the support to Ukraine to stop and for countries like France and Germany to begin pressuring Ukraine to cede territory for peace while the GOP in the US starts cutting off aid.

I hope it doesn't happen. We should be rapidly speeding up the training and weapons deliveries for Ukraine so they can start pushing back the Russians.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Mans posted:

Do you seriously consider "a three month war" (that already caused thousands of civilian deaths) a minor event that shouldn't make the invader a pariah state?

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

A war of conquest via invasion of a sovereign nation, at that. During which they continue to threaten nuclear escalation. Totally not worth any consequences. Sooo shortsighted.

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

ISW update
https://twitter.com/TheStudyofWar/status/1535010678779568133?t=-281cKSBG2z8uTlwcbfDpQ&s=19
https://twitter.com/TheStudyofWar/status/1535059899297964034?t=ruvPCXRnJf6TzAvhP3UlnQ&s=19
https://twitter.com/TheStudyofWar/status/1535060195193200641?t=3be_mrL-Fpi83uI4W7TdJQ&s=19

quote:

Key Takeaways
  • Russian officials are increasingly taking over governmental positions in occupied Ukrainian territory, advancing the Kremlin's likely efforts to annex occupied areas of Ukraine into Russia as an okrug (federal district).
  • Russian forces continued to fight for the Azot industrial zone in Severodonetsk under the cover of heavy artillery fire.
  • Russian forces made marginal gains north of Slovyansk but are likely to face difficulties assaulting the city itself because of the tactical challenges posed by crossing the Siverskyi Donets River.
  • Russian forces made incremental advances to the east of Bakhmut and will continue efforts to cut Ukrainian lines of communication to the northeast of Bakhmut.
  • Russian forces are likely engaged in limited fighting along occupied frontiers in northern Kharkiv Oblast.
  • Russian forces continue to focus on strengthening defensive lines along the Southern Axis and are intensifying ground attacks in northeastern Zaporizhia Oblast with the support of troop and equipment rotations.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Nenonen posted:

I spent too much time making this but I feel like it needed to be done...

Ukraine walks in the German army shop and walks past the bazouki player.

Ukraine: Good Morning.

Germany: Guten Morgen, herr. Welcome to the Bundes Waffe Emporium!

Ukraine: Ah, thank you, my good man.

Germany: What can I do for you, herr?

Ukraine: Well, I was, uh, sitting in the public library on Maidan Nezalezhnosti just now, skimming through "Rogue Herrys" by Hugh Walpole, and I suddenly came over all peckish.

Germany: Peckish, herr?

Ukraine: Esuriant.

Germany: Eh?

Ukraine: 'Ee, Ah wor 'ungry-loike fur 'uns!

Germany: Ah, hungry for guns!

Ukraine: In a nutshell. And I thought to myself, "a little Kruppe steel will do the trick," so, I curtailed my Walpoling activities, sallied forth, and infiltrated your place of purveyance to negotiate the vending of some armed vehicles!

Germany: Come again?

Ukraine: I want to buy some armoured vehicles.

Germany: Oh, I thought you were complaining about the bazouki player!

Ukraine: Oh, heaven forbid: I am one who delights in all manifestations of the Terpsichorean muse!

Germany: Sorry?

Ukraine: 'Ooo, Ah lahk a nice tuune, 'yer forced too!

Germany: So he can go on playing, can he?

Ukraine: Most certainly! Now then, some AFV please, my good man.

Germany: (lustily) Certainly, herr. What would you like?

Ukraine: Well, eh, how about a little Marder IFV.

Germany: I'm, afraid we're fresh out of Marder, herr.

Ukraine: Oh, never mind, how are you on Fuchs?

Germany: I'm afraid we never have that at the end of the week, herr, we get it fresh on Monday.

Ukraine: Tish tish. No matter. Well, stout yeoman, four batteries of Panzerhaubitze 2000, if you please.

Germany: Ah! It's beeeen on order, herr, for two weeks. Was expecting it this morning.

Ukraine: 'T's Not my lucky day, is it? Aah, Wiesel AWC?

Germany: Sorry, herr.

Ukraine: Boxer APC?

Germany: Normally, herr, yes. Today the van broke down.

Ukraine: Ah. Wolf G-Wagen?

Germany: Sorry.

Ukraine: Leopard 2? Leopard 1?

Germany: No.

Ukraine: Any Swedish Bandvagn, per chance.

Ukraine: Dingo?

Ukraine: Rheinmetall YAK?

Germany: (pause) No.

Ukraine: Pionierpanzer, Bergepanzer, Mungo ESK, Panzerschnellbrücke, Unimog, Duro III?

Ukraine: M270 MLRS, perhaps?

Germany: Ah! We have M270, jawohl herr.

Ukraine: (surprised) You do! Excellent.

Germany: Jaherr. It's..ah,.....it's a bit rusty...

Ukraine: Oh, I like it rusty.

Germany: Well,.. It's very rusty, actually, herr.

Ukraine: No matter. Fetch hither the rocket launcher of brave America! Mmmwah!

Germany: I...think it's a bit rustier than you'll like it, herr.

Ukraine: I don't care how loving rusty it is. Hand it over with all speed.

Germany: Oooooooooohhh........! (pause)

Ukraine: What now?

Germany: The software need updating.

Ukraine: (pause) Does it.

Germany: They, herr.

(pause)

Ukraine: NH90?

Ukraine: Wiesel?

Ukraine: Enok?

Ukraine: Eurofighter Typhoon?

Ukraine: Tampella mortars?

Germany: No, herr.

Ukraine: You...do *have* some military vehicles, don't you?

Germany: (brightly) Of course, herr. It's a army equipment shop, herr. We've got--

Ukraine: No no... don't tell me. I'm keen to guess.

Germany: Fair enough.

Ukraine: Uuuuuh, tank.

Germany: Yes?

Ukraine: Ah, well, I'll have some of that!

Germany: Oh! I thought you were talking to me, herr. Herr Tank, that's my name.

(pause)

Ukraine: Leguan?

Germany: no

Ukraine: Elefant?

Germany: Not *today*, herr, no.

(pause)

Ukraine: Aah, how about M113?

Germany: Well, we don't get much call for it around here, herr.

Ukraine: Not much ca--It's the single most popular APC in the world!

Germany: Not 'round here, herr.

Ukraine: and what IS the most popular AFV 'round hyah?

Germany: Fennek, herr.

Ukraine: IS it.

Germany: Oh, yes, it's staggeringly popular in this manor, squire.

Ukraine: Is it.

Germany: It's our number one best seller, herr!

Ukraine: I see. Uuh... Fennek, eh?

Germany: Right, herr.

Ukraine: All right. Okay. 'Have you got any?' he asked, expecting the answer 'no'.

Germany: I'll have a look, herr... nnnnnnnnnnnnnnnno.

Ukraine: It's not much of a army vehicle shop, is it?

Germany: Finest in Europe!

Ukraine: (annoyed) Explain the logic underlying that conclusion, please.

Germany: Well, it's so clean, herr!

Ukraine: It's certainly uncontaminated by vehicles....

Germany: (brightly) You haven't asked me about KMW Grizzly, herr.

Ukraine: Would it be worth it?

Germany: Could be....

Ukraine: Have you --SHUT THAT BLOODY BAZOUKI OFF!

Germany: Told you herr....

Ukraine: (slowly) Have you got any Grizzly?

Ukraine: Figures. Predictable, really I suppose. It was an act of purest optimism to have posed the question in the first place. Tell me

Germany: Yesherr?

Ukraine: Have you in fact got any vehicles here at all.

Germany: Jaherr.

Ukraine: Really?

(pause)

Germany: Nein. Not really, herr.

Ukraine: You haven't.

Germany: Nein herr. Not a scrap. I was deliberately wasting your time, herr.

Ukraine: Well I'm sorry, but I'm going to have to shoot you.

Germany: Right-o, herr.

Ukraine takes out a gun and shoots the owner.

Ukraine: What a *senseless* waste of human life.

missed a chance to use 'we have no fuch's to give'

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Germany still sees the best-case scenario as being Ukraine surrenders, the east and south are ceded to Russia or Russia-backed satellites, sanctions are lifted, the gas flows again, and everything goes back to exactly the way it was on February 23.

Everything save all the dead people, of course.

e: to put it just a bit more charitably, Germany just wants the war to end. They don't care how.

Moon Slayer fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Jun 10, 2022

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Another dawn is breaking in Kyiv, and it's still Ukrainian. :unsmith:

:ukraine:

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Mans posted:

I don't know if this is your actual position or you're describing Germany's position, but the position is naive. There is no going back to normal after this. For the first time in a century, there is a war of conquest in Europe. If Russia wins, things won't "go back to normal." It will have taught Russia that the West is weak-willed, and that it can win an imperialist invasion by sticking it out until the West is distracted.

What will it do with that lesson? It will start thinking about its next target. Maybe one of the Baltics. Maybe finishing off Georgia. Maybe one of the central Asian former SSRs. Putin's going to demand more and more, just like Hitler, until he is finally told no and taught a lesson.

This is what Germany is failing to understand. Whether Ukraine is annexed or not, there is no outcome at this point ending with a peaceful Russia selling oil and gas to Germany. Either Russia learns its lesson in Ukraine, or there will be another war, and another, until Putin dies or the Russian army is defeated.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

Bone Crimes posted:

This is just guessing, but I'd say Germany is playing the game they are because they see more than two possible outcomes here.

Russia conquering Ukraine and eyeing further neighbors is a nightmare for Germany, and I think Scholz et al are smart enough to see that. If they thought Ukraine was in serious danger of being completely annexed in the next few months or years (but not in a few weeks, in which case providing help would probably be too late), they'd probably do more.

But assuming they're not worried about that, which scenario goes the best for them? I think they're considering several possibilities

A) Russia takes limited areas of Ukraine and the war effectively comes to a halt or near halt, with or without an official ceasefire. Things start going back to normal, the refugees go home, sanctions might get eased, etc.
B) Russia is pushed back to February 23rd borders and the war effectively comes to a half or near halt, with or without an official ceasefire. This humiliates Russia and has a small chance of causing them to destabilize or do something stupid.
C) Ukraine kicks Russia out and retakes Donbas and/or Crimea, possibly due to a Russian military collapse or political instability. This greatly humiliates Russia and has a larger chance of causing them to destabilize (if they haven't already) or do something stupid.
D) Ukraine actually turns things around and invades or at least launches major attacks on Russia with Western equipment. This... well, you probably can guess.

I'm not saying C or D is terribly likely, but it's the kind of thing that goes into the "how much do we help Ukraine?" calculus.

Overall, A or maybe B are probably the best options for most of Europe. In a realpolitik sense they have lots of reasons not to want Ukraine to lose (though that may be acceptable if they can expect an expensive occupation), but few reasons to want Ukraine to win. Especially since, as appealing as the idea of Putin getting assassinated or a Russian civil war might sound considering their impressive audition for Saturday morning cartoon villain, political instability involving a fight over control of Russia's nuclear arsenal is probably the last thing most Western nations want. Sure, the world got through it last time, but that doesn't mean they want to do it again.

So, from a strictly pragmatic point of view, the best short term option for a lot of nations is probably for Ukraine to lose slightly. Not all nations are purely pragmatic there (notwithstanding moral reasons to help Ukraine, there's plenty of people with lots of reasons to dislike Russia), but I suspect it figures into their motivations.

Also if Germany's military is really in that horrible a state they might want to avoid giving up useful weapons.

Bremen fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Jun 10, 2022

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

I guess the calculus for A and B is when sanctions get lifted. Because if Germany's main goal is open trade again, that means things need to normalize and sanctions lifted. And if there's a frozen conflict, and Ukraine says it's still at war, it's hard to see sanctions get lifted. Perhaps in January 2025 if President Trump returns and says the US is dropping sanctions, but not earlier than that.

Related question, what is the EU mechanism for lifting the sanctions? Does it take a unanimous vote? Majority? Can, for example, Poland forever veto lifting sanctions?

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Ola posted:

Harpoons are designed from the get-go for over-the-horizon targeting. I don't know how it works, I assume drone stuff hasn't been integrated already, but I suspect "punch in GPS numbers, let active seeker find and decide" is possible.

75 kilometers is relatively short range, I don't think the Black Sea fleet will be sailing within that envelope. But it improves Odesa's defenses nonetheless.

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

Nenonen posted:

75 kilometers is relatively short range, I don't think the Black Sea fleet will be sailing within that envelope. But it improves Odesa's defenses nonetheless.

75 nautical miles, or about 139km. Not nearly the entire black sea, but enough to hit ships coming anywhere near Snake Island or anywhere closer to current Ukrainian held territory than the Western tip of the Crimean peninsula.

Warbadger fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Jun 10, 2022

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

https://twitter.com/Flash43191300/status/1534924657987551233

PederP
Nov 20, 2009

There are a lot of people in the EU who want the ecomomic and diplomatic ostracization of Russia to continue until they no longer occupy Ukrainian territory and accept responsibility for war crimes.

Yes that likely wont happen until a new regime is in place. Until then there can be no normalization regardless of any ceasefires. Trying to pressure Ukraine into making concessions will splinter the EU.

Sanctions in this case are not made to bring about Putins fall, nor are they only to hamper Russias war effort. They are a consequence of Russia waging war in Europe. That makes them bad company until they resubmit to Pax Europaea. I will take to the streets before I accept my national and EU politicians resuming economic and diplomatic relations with Russia. Some German and French politicians fail to realize how uncompromising many Europeans are on this.

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

Warbadger posted:

75 nautical miles, or about 139km. Not nearly the entire black sea, but enough to hit ships coming anywhere near Snake Island or anywhere closer to current Ukrainian held territory than the Western tip of the Crimean peninsula.

I wonder if they work on bridges

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

PederP posted:

There are a lot of people in the EU who want the ecomomic and diplomatic ostracization of Russia to continue until they no longer occupy Ukrainian territory and accept responsibility for war crimes.

Yes that likely wont happen until a new regime is in place. Until then there can be no normalization regardless of any ceasefires. Trying to pressure Ukraine into making concessions will splinter the EU.

Sanctions in this case are not made to bring about Putins fall, nor are they only to hamper Russias war effort. They are a consequence of Russia waging war in Europe. That makes them bad company until they resubmit to Pax Europaea. I will take to the streets before I accept my national and EU politicians resuming economic and diplomatic relations with Russia. Some German and French politicians fail to realize how uncompromising many Europeans are on this.

Given what Russia keeps saying about europe the mask is off and it's too late to put it back on. The three things I want to see are:

-No cessation of sanctions

-Military buildup in europe to strengthen our defences.

-Start the long term project of reducing our own supply chains vulnerability, basically stop being so reliant on east asia, which looks to me like a huge red flag if China does sometihng there, which you never know, can't trust authoritarian regimes to act rationally. As shown with Russia, best to have as little to do with them as possible.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Warbadger posted:

Ah, I misread that! But yes, still considerably less than the Neptuns which are supposed to reach up to 280 kilometers, twice the range of Harpoon. But it solidifies Ukraine's coastal defence which opens the option of freeing reserves from Odesa or even looking at doing something about Transnistria. By which I mean demanding that Russia withdraw from there, with an implied 'or else'.

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015

Mans posted:

The obvious solution is for Germany's neighbours to invade them, annex the military industry and just loot it for Ukraine like Russia is looting Ukraine grain. After all, short war is no reason to destroy relationships, so Germany will be fine with this :v:

d64
Jan 15, 2003
The map updates have relied heavily on "marginal" for a few weeks now. Sure, it's very slow, but could be in some months Russia has marginally gained themselves control of the entirety of eastern Ukraine.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Count Roland posted:

Honestly it's funny that anyone expects Germany to be a leader in a military situation. They're uh pretty or of practice, and it shows. I'm not exactly pumped to have Germany return to it's role a great military power. Japan, too.

The problem is precisely that they are trying to play leaders with some sort of imbecilic "give peace a chance" scheme that is clearly just a smoke screen for their real goal of silently sacrificing Ukraine so that they can return to business as usual. If they didn't want to play leaders, they would shut up and get with the loving program.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Bone Crimes posted:

All that conspiracy nonsense about Scholz being bought or Germans desperately wanting to get back in business with Russia (which primarily comes from people who don't actually live in Germany and have no idea what they are talking about) aside, it's mostly just

A) Naivety and ignorance about the horrors that Russia has been up to in the occupied territories, thinking occupation is somewhat acceptable if the alternative is destruction

B) Doubt that we can affect the situation in a positive way. Thinking that 200 NATO artillery pieces that Ukraine can't even keep operational mid-term won't help against the 6k Russia can field and we are just prolonging the conflict and the inevitable outcome

And there is definitely a sentiment that we already lost this crisis by not being prepared and letting our armed forces rot over the years. Lots of Merkel blaming going on. The 100 billion € gift to the Bundeswehr and huge budget increase are kinda the reaction to this, i.e. "we'll do better in the next one, when we are actually prepared".

d64
Jan 15, 2003
Strange quote in the Guardian article (https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/jun/10/were-almost-out-of-ammunition-and-relying-on-western-arms-says-ukraine):

quote:

“Everything now depends on what [the west] gives us,” said [deputy head of Ukraine’s military intelligence] Skibitsky. “Ukraine has one artillery piece to 10 to 15 Russian artillery pieces. Our western partners have given us about 10% of what they have.”

10% of what? 10% of all their artillery and ammo? Or 10% of the stuff that is hypothetically sitting around with no use? 10% of all artillery of various European nations and USA having been sent over sounds to me like a lot rather than a little.

Also interesting figure is that Ukraine is said to use 5000 shells per day, so obviously Russians many more, perhaps many times more, but still it is estimated they can keep going on for another year without running out. In that sense it sounds like even west sending "100%" would not be enough.

E: Some people say these reports are Ukrainians using pessimistic tones to shock allies into giving more support faster, but if so I think it is a big risk. It can just as well feed into feelings of hopelessness, that Russia's win is just a question of time, whatever is done or not done.

d64 fucked around with this message at 09:23 on Jun 10, 2022

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

the popes toes posted:

I wonder if they work on bridges
https://www.airforcemag.com/article/1293bridge/

quote:

Lt. Dave Giachetti, the 48th TFW’s specialist in bridge attacks, recalled the situation: “I thought that bridges would be pretty easy to knock out with PGMs [precision guided munitions]—until I tried it. We would attack a bridge and get several hits, and then we’d discover—holy mackerel!—the bridge was still standing.

With PGMs, hitting the bridge was not a problem. The problem was hitting it at a weak part, a point where the weapon would cause structural damage and drop a span. If you didn’t hit it exactly on the abutment at either end, or where the supports were, the bomb would often go through the pavement leaving a neat round hole that they could easily repair.”

Officers with the 48th TFW said that the wing used only 2,000-pound bombs in its antibridge operations, though it used many different types. These included the GBU-24 with a hardened bomb body, the GBU-10, and the GBU-15. The officers said the wing developed a number of different attack techniques and conducted many multiple bomb attacks, using two bombs per pass.

Absolutely not possible. You would need at least twice the payload (Harpoon's warhead is 488 pounds) and you would also need to hit exactly right. Also if you are thinking of the Kerch bridge, where would Ukrainians fire them from that is within 138 km of the target? Russia has all of Azov coast.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

d64 posted:

The map updates have relied heavily on "marginal" for a few weeks now. Sure, it's very slow, but could be in some months Russia has marginally gained themselves control of the entirety of eastern Ukraine.

If they keep it up they'll make it to Normandy eventually. But hopefully this pace gives some time for the west to get its poo poo together

oh. :smith:

Dick Ripple
May 19, 2021

steinrokkan posted:

The problem is precisely that they are trying to play leaders with some sort of imbecilic "give peace a chance" scheme that is clearly just a smoke screen for their real goal of silently sacrificing Ukraine so that they can return to business as usual.

To simplify this quite a bit, there are two sides with what seem to be equally powerful influence in voices in the German government and populace in regards to this conflict.

You have what is often referred to as the 'Doves' or peace loving folk. At an extreme they see the only eventual cause of having a large and well funded military will eventually lead to wars of conquest, so are usually always against anything related to increasing military budget. On the same side you have those against selling/sending arms overseas as that also leads to war and misery. These two camps include a large portion of the German populace.

At an aggregate, I would not say Germany has a 'Hawk' side, at least compared to many of its Western allies. But there are those who are pragmatic and see/have seen how having a capabable and ready military is mandatory in our current global situation. They also see Germany as having that leadership role in Europe and the world in preventing or fighting against anything related to the horrors caused by Nazi Germany. This camp is also a large portion of the populace, but not the majority.

So you may see why Germany (besides all the other many nuances involved in this conflict) is having problems in having full and unconditional support for Ukraine. And unfortunately Scholz is bumbling his way through this crisis so far, but I am not confident in anyone else in the German government being able do anything but.

They will all have to figure it out soon though, those bridges with Russia are already on fire and will soon be burnt down, and it seems to look like it is spreading to bridges leading in other directions as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

mrfart posted:

You push it up a steep enough hill first, maybe.

I would be very disappointed in the Dutch if this turns out to be true. They had a referendum in 2016 about it, and the people were against it then.
But a lot has changed since then, broader public seems to be for it now, don't know if politicians will follow.

I recall there was a disgusting poster or ad at the time, with beautiful Ukrainian women and a slogan like “would you feel comfortable having her talking to your husband?” Or some such.

Belgian media are also running “fait divers” articles these days about Ukrainian refugees buying designer hand bags in Antwerp and squatting apartment during our housing crisis (with matching pictures of blonde mom and daughter smiling with their purchases, of course) snd an article about a British man who dumped his wife and kids over some Ukrainian twenty-something refugee after she moved in for 14 days.

The misogyny takes are already laying the groundwork for “actually they are pests coming to disrupt your household” narrative to justify keeping them out of the EU. And Syrian refugees had the opposite problem of being vilified as men leaving their families behind in a war zone. There’s no winning with these people.