Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.

Bad Seafood posted:

The kid and Griffith are two different entities who happen to share the same existence.

This was the genius of the last chapter, to me: the kid leaves Griffith vulnerable, but killing Griffith probably also kills the kid. Would Guts sacrifice the life of his own son to strike at his own worst enemy? That's already a painful premise, but then the knife twists: Griffith (and the God Hand) are up to no good, and even if Guts were to make peace with him on a personal level (he can't and won't, but if he could), he can't just ignore him either, lest the world as a whole get dragged down with him.

Guts needs to make a difficult choice in a circumstance where there's no choice to make. We're approaching peak suffering.

I always imagined that the magic folk will do some magic spell that would separate Griffith from Guts and Caska's child. Of course this would cause Griffith's true human form to be temporarily revealed in front of his soldiers/followers - the broken shell he was before he became Femto - before he returns to his Femto form. This causes chaos and discord in his kingdom as the perfect facade is forever destroyed. But we will see how the story progress from where it left off, hopefully.

edit: oops, didn't mean to snipe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

as Griffith lies, battered and dying from a beatdown given by every named character in the cast except Guts (including Puck, the Prostitutes, the Idea of Evil, and Schnoz), Guts walks up to him, unbloodied and serene, nods in appreciation of their handiwork, locks eyes tenderly with his one-time friend and arch-nemesis, and says, "Good thing I didn't go berserk." -THE END-

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
I'm still hoping if Griffith does try to invade Elfheim that it ends up backfiring horribly for him, think it's about time he has a big setback since he's had pretty much nothing but success after success since ascending into Femto and then reincarnating into a new mortal body

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Lucasar posted:

People will definitely turn on it if it isn't how they thought it should be, but let's just remember that a fairly loving recent chapter was mostly Isidro: Panty Raider. Miura was unquestionably a great talent, but I think it's worth keeping in mind that even the Berserk he would've produced probably would have had a bunch of head-scratchers and tonal shifts too.

This is why I'm very ok with them continuing the story even if it turns to poo poo. Because ending it at "Casca has now "recovered" enough from the rape inflicted PTSD to not be completely catatonic , time to laugh at some sexual harrasment" is a very bad place to end the series at.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Mazed posted:

you'd think a guy named Weedlord Goku would be chill

I almost hope they don't.

Rather, I'd prefer it if it were Casca who gave Griffith a beatdown, with Guts' angle being "if I tried to summon up the anger and hatred again, no matter how much you absolutely deserve it, I'd fall off the wagon and be just a raging animal, so I'mma let the cold, disciplined lady kick your rear end around."
Same either Casca, Rickert, or both should get that win.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Somehow I feel just so blissful hearing this news. I sincerely believe this is what Miura would have wanted, and I hope they can do his work justice and bring closure to this part of their lives.

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

Lucasar posted:

People will definitely turn on it if it isn't how they thought it should be, but let's just remember that a fairly loving recent chapter was mostly Isidro: Panty Raider. Miura was unquestionably a great talent, but I think it's worth keeping in mind that even the Berserk he would've produced probably would have had a bunch of head-scratchers and tonal shifts too.

This.

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

I thought goons in general hated the suicide island guy.

Ringo Roadagain
Mar 27, 2010

Pewdiepie posted:

I thought goons in general hated the suicide island guy.

I think that is mostly just me.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Is it fan fiction if you have a team working on your work? They're just your "fans" amirite

You guys seem focused in the word "fan". My point is that, to me, it is not the real thing. Even if it ends up being real good, in the end it is something that I just cannot see in the same way.

trucutru fucked around with this message at 06:54 on Jun 9, 2022

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

You chose a term that haughtily dismisses the professional careers of Miro and Miura's Apprentices and you're surprised people took issue? And you think the problem is because people here are interpreting the continuation as "Miura's work" and you're taking the stance of "No, it's obviously not."

Dude no one is pretending this is Miura's work. But it is as close as we could ever get. Those are not incompatible thoughts.

We just recognize that you used some dickhead phrasing. Not going to harp on you for that. I did so in another thread the last week. poo poo happens. But no need to keep the cloud up.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

trucutru posted:

You guys seem focused in the word "fan". My point is that, to me, it is not the real thing. Even if it ends up being real good, in the end it is something that I just cannot see in the same way.

Hint for the future

If multiple people object to something you said, without any pushback from anyone else, stop and go 'what could it be that did that'

If your answer is 'they just didn't understand me'

Try again

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

mind the walrus posted:

We just recognize that you used some dickhead phrasing. Not going to harp on you for that. I did so in another thread the last week. poo poo happens. But no need to keep the cloud up.

Sure, I get what you mean. It was not my intention to annoy or be a dick.

In any case, I will enjoy whatever it is that comes next.

trucutru fucked around with this message at 07:43 on Jun 9, 2022

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
Holyland was awesome so I'm interested

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Hoping that this continuation is more Brandon Sanderson and less Eoin Colfer.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
https://twitter.com/MangaMoguraRE/status/1534962803672502299?t=ZcQXbWfQJV4C5zpFYPt_6g&s=19

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

I am very hype.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

If I were to guess, I'd say the biggest change going forward is likely to be much less intensely detailed panels that look like they took a month to draw, which great as they were would be a small price to pay for a regular release schedule and no one else's hearts exploding

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Yeah, Berserk no longer needs to be the immense visual spectacle it was when Miura drew it. I still want it to look nice, of course, but it should be serviceable.

The intent is for Berserk to reach its conclusion, let's not put some needless barriers in the way by aspiring to ape Miura, who is irreplaceable.

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

Helim needed to be invisible.

:mildpanic:

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

:glomp:

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
lmao coming out swinging with two chapters is quite the flex.

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Yeah, Berserk no longer needs to be the immense visual spectacle it was when Miura drew it. I still want it to look nice, of course, but it should be serviceable.

The intent is for Berserk to reach its conclusion, let's not put some needless barriers in the way by aspiring to ape Miura, who is irreplaceable.

:yeah:

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d6uN9xYUMxE

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

drat that rules

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

Wonder if they delayed announcing this for a year in order to work up a backlog for a good chunk of regular updates. Not that they'dve been obligated to, but that would be like Christmas coming early.

TowerofOil
May 22, 2007

You don't need a doctor, I'm a christian scientist.

Bread Liar
Two!?!? New chapters, in this economy!?

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Yeah I'm good with losing the insanely detailed full-page spreads if everything else is the quality of that manga cover.

I'd even be happy with a slight noticeable change in art style (just due to whats inevitable with different hands at the pen) because it would clearly mark the end of Miura's art and the beginning of his assistants. It would help clarify this as a work of respect, to honor Miura's work by bringing his conclusion to his story to life as well as possible.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

If that cover is indicative of what we can expect, the fine detail might be going away, but clearly the bold shadowing is going to stay which is a core piece of the aesthetic in berserk. The really deep blacks and greys that create sharp contrasts in the panels.

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

That's from last chapter, and may or may not have been sketched/finished by Miura directly.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Looks like guts to me :waycool:

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Looking forward to the next six chapters being HxH style napkin scribbles

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Bisse posted:

Oh god, I dropped HxH in the end of the Ant saga because of that, I could barely understand what was going on

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Bisse posted:

There's going to be some hyperrealistic drawings of turkey dinners in Berserk's future.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Mazed posted:

Wonder if they delayed announcing this for a year in order to work up a backlog for a good chunk of regular updates. Not that they'dve been obligated to, but that would be like Christmas coming early.

probably required figuring out contracts/rights, payment, and planning beyond just a backlog

The Notorious ZSB posted:

If that cover is indicative of what we can expect, the fine detail might be going away, but clearly the bold shadowing is going to stay which is a core piece of the aesthetic in berserk. The really deep blacks and greys that create sharp contrasts in the panels.

id be ok if they just picked their battles here and applied fine detail to more important panels/shots but kept the panel to panel mostly manageable.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me
The next chapter of Berserk turns out to be the first chapter of JoJo Part 9 because we thought Moonkid was Griffith but it was really Dio all along.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

I wonder how often chapters will churn out.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

https://twitter.com/ReadSeinen/status/1539743594562654208?t=wWktsxjGnmpH69QxJab9wg&s=19

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

EG release will coincide with Young Animal hitting store shelves in Japan, in 16 hours or so. Maybe a bit earlier.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

I told myself I was gonna get a good work out before every new chapter if it ever came back so I gotta hit the weights.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

That was a whole lot of nothing for two chapters...

Like, stuff happened... but it felt like 1 chapter

and the art is berserk, but it feels like a downgrade.

I don't mean to complain, just putting my thoughts out there.