Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

Stringent posted:

the levine book already mentioned is solid, but beyond that do you have a pianist in mind that you particularly like or a style of jazz you particularly want to play?

I don't have anything specific in mind, no. My major goal with this is to internalize the theory I've been casually learning over the past few years, since I learn things a lot quicker when I can actually play and experiment with them. I'm currently at the point where I can write out fun progressions in my DAW but composing anything on top of that is a laborious process because I'm drawing notes in block by block. I'd like to be able to play around with all of that on my keyboard instead.

NC Wyeth Death Cult posted:

Warning: the digital version of the Levine book is an extremely lovely scan where one page is separated into two.

I'm noticing that there's a bunch of little OCR errors, too. It's not bothering me yet but if there's any big pages of sheet music on them I might wind up having to buy a physical copy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

blastron posted:

I don't have anything specific in mind, no. My major goal with this is to internalize the theory I've been casually learning over the past few years, since I learn things a lot quicker when I can actually play and experiment with them. I'm currently at the point where I can write out fun progressions in my DAW but composing anything on top of that is a laborious process because I'm drawing notes in block by block. I'd like to be able to play around with all of that on my keyboard instead.

well, i don't know what your goals are, but if it's learning to play jazz, listening to jazz is gonna do more for you than any amount of theory will.

the levine book is great for giving you a vocabulary to describe and remember stuff, but as far as actually playing, stuff like transcription books or the oscar peterson etudes are waayyyy more useful.

oh no computer
May 27, 2003

I have a recurring problem where the melody in the RH often gets drowned out by the LH accompaniment, so to fix it I need to play a bit softer in the LH and/or louder in the RH, but I find if I try to correct one hand the other just follows suit. Any tips on how I can improve this?

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

oh no computer posted:

I have a recurring problem where the melody in the RH often gets drowned out by the LH accompaniment, so to fix it I need to play a bit softer in the LH and/or louder in the RH, but I find if I try to correct one hand the other just follows suit. Any tips on how I can improve this?

yeah this is almost always due to holding tension in your arms/shoulders and not moving soon enough in the left hand (the bass is just naturally louder on a piano if played with the same force). best tip is to get a teacher if you don't have one, second is to find a better one if they haven't already identified that.

Sauzer
Jan 31, 2006
Some Sort of Guy

oh no computer posted:

My teacher had me put my fingers on my knees and practice feeling the difference that way. For some reason, it was much easier to separate the dynamics between hands when I could feel the pressure difference more.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
It's just a practice thing imo, do scales with one hand forte and the other piano, then swap. You can pretend you're booping kitten noses vs. hammering tacks or whatever.

Nigel Tufnel
Jan 4, 2005
You can't really dust for vomit.
I'd like to play stuff like ibi:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=axYc-NpvZWg

From watching his stuff the techniques I think I'll need are stride techniques in the LH, LH triad / 7th arpeggios and also the hand independence to have the RH keep the melody.

Are there any exercises (or books) to help get better at this style. At the moment I really struggle with different timings in different hands and do best with single bass notes in the LH for anything other than a very simple melody in the RH.

The Mechanical Hand
May 21, 2007

as this blessed evening falls don't forget the alcohol
Trying to ID what keyboard is at the end of a track but I don't know keyboards well enough to figure it out myself. Comes in at 2:02 here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LFF7m61OllQ

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
might be worth an xpost in the synth thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3617837&pagenumber=619#lastpost

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

When I used to play as a kid, if I made a mistake, I would immediately start over. It’d halt the whole thing and annoy the hell out of my piano teacher. I picked up an electric piano from my brother who didn’t want it anymore, and after dinking around on it (I completely suck btw) I still do the equivalent of this:

https://youtu.be/m24DPDKZ4zA

Is this a known problem? Why do I do this?

Jazz Marimba
Jan 4, 2012

Pollyanna posted:

When I used to play as a kid, if I made a mistake, I would immediately start over. It’d halt the whole thing and annoy the hell out of my piano teacher. I picked up an electric piano from my brother who didn’t want it anymore, and after dinking around on it (I completely suck btw) I still do the equivalent of this:

https://youtu.be/m24DPDKZ4zA

Is this a known problem? Why do I do this?

p much everyone does this at first. don’t restart tho, start as close to before the mistake as you can—literally the note before, then two notes, etc

IT BURNS
Nov 19, 2012

Working my way though Bach's Goldberg Variations. Halfway done, but I think the hard stuff is towards the end.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MSi6hJFDLOg

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I need a solution for practice while away from home. Can anyone recommend a compact digital piano, maybe something with 4 octaves and a headphone output that might fit in a suitcase?

spiritual bypass fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Jun 4, 2022

Alizee
Mar 2, 2006

"Heaven"
I don't know where you're travelling to but in Canada most music stores allow daily, weekly, monthly rentals of all sorts of instruments including full sized keyboards.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
honestly i'd just be stoked to have a legit excuse to not practice

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Stringent posted:

honestly i'd just be stoked to have a legit excuse to not practice

It’s called depression and anhedonia OP.

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

i like practice... time flies by when i sit down and do my exercises.

usually i warm up by goofin, then i do the constructive stuff, maybe other people don't do that?

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

That sounds completely normal and yet the opposite of what I do by trying to go for something specific and then getting distracted and noodling around with some other bullshit.

Maybe everyone you’re comparing yourself to just has terminal ADHD like I do.

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

Pollyanna posted:

That sounds completely normal and yet the opposite of what I do by trying to go for something specific and then getting distracted and noodling around with some other bullshit.

Maybe everyone you’re comparing yourself to just has terminal ADHD like I do.

i actually have ADHD and that's sort of the reason why i do it the way i do... i do the fun part first.

then i go through a thing where conceptualize something above my ability on piano, and BOOM there's my motivation to go work on technique

Alizee
Mar 2, 2006

"Heaven"
I got burnt out on practicing in my undergrad and now I'll never spend as much time playing, and therefore will never be as good, and therefore will try to play the piano for real again. Goodbye.

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

Alizee posted:

I got burnt out on practicing in my undergrad and now I'll never spend as much time playing, and therefore will never be as good, and therefore will try to play the piano for real again. Goodbye.

sorry to hear that the piano has pissed you off, OP :(

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer
A few weeks ago, I bought an antique accordion from an estate sale! May I discuss accordion in the piano thread? One of the accordion sides has piano keys, and the other side has the bass buttons (following the circle of fifths! cool!)

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

cum jabbar posted:

I need a solution for practice while away from home. Can anyone recommend a compact digital piano, maybe something with 4 octaves and a headphone output that might fit in a suitcase?

I have this goofy thing, the X Key 37. It works Ok for me, a novice player, playing synths thru GarageBand. But for what it's worth, my piano player friend, who is good, couldn't stand it. https://xkeyair.com/xkey37/

I don't think you'll get 4 octaves in a suitcase, but this has 3, and it can fit into a suitcase. Maybe you can find something even more compact?

Jazz Marimba
Jan 4, 2012

Helianthus Annuus posted:

A few weeks ago, I bought an antique accordion from an estate sale! May I discuss accordion in the piano thread? One of the accordion sides has piano keys, and the other side has the bass buttons (following the circle of fifths! cool!)

accordion is dope. i got one from a friend a few years ago, super fun

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer
would you like to look at my accordion? you can see the strap is broken at the top -- this was a "you broke it, you bought it" type of situation :(

but it plays mostly in tune, and it sounds good! i just sort of lean to my left side, and i let gravity help me open the bellows :roflolmao:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer
Oops, its not really visible. Here's a picture of the strap. This instrument was said to be a "case queen" (it spent decades in storage instead of getting played).

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
Hey guys is the Casio Px-330BK too outdated or is it still pretty decent? I had bought a Yamaha P71 sometime last year, but wound up returning it at the time, not because I didn't enjoy my time messing around and trying to learn piano, but had a minor financial issue crop up shortly afterward so I returned it to play it safe. I find myself interested again and wouldn't mind giving it another go. The Casio near by is used for 300. Should I just wait a while longer and grab another P71 instead? All the other used keyboards around here were either really cheap or really expensive stuff. I mostly just want something to learn on that isn't poo poo.

e: Seems like a bit older model than I thought, maybe I'll wait a while longer until I have more money to spend and time to think on if I want to go down the playing another instrument road.

Drunk Driver Dad fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Jun 27, 2022

Alizee
Mar 2, 2006

"Heaven"
The age doesn't matter. Only things that matter are 1) 88 keys 2) touch - having weighted or semi weighted keys 3) convenience - small size, has legs, had good quality built in speakers

In that order. #3 is optional as well as you can buy accessories to improve all of that.

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

The only time age matters, at least in my experience, is if its some monstrosity from the 80's before solid state electronics were lightweight.

oh no computer
May 27, 2003

Very cool thing about learning the piano as an adult: struggling with a section of a piece you're learning so you go to youtube to see how it's meant to be played, only to be greeted by a literal 5 year old playing the whole thing way better than you can https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-9E8X_Rl06w

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

oh no computer posted:

Very cool thing about learning the piano as an adult: struggling with a section of a piece you're learning so you go to youtube to see how it's meant to be played, only to be greeted by a literal 5 year old playing the whole thing way better than you can https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-9E8X_Rl06w

Haha yeah that's what happens

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

oh no computer posted:

think that's bad? check out the debasement we're dealing with in the guitar thread https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iwsQudFjXXE&t=15s

NC Wyeth Death Cult
Dec 30, 2005

He lost his life in Chadds Ford, he was dancing with a train.

oh no computer posted:

I apologize if you heard this from me before, but my clarinet teacher (who was getting an MFA in performance) was stone cold told by her advisor that she would never land a professional job because most professional players started when they were 4 and she started when she was in high school. So she graduated, moved to Berlin and played bass clarinet in a post-punk band called "No Nebraska!" and wound up touring Europe and beyond. So at least you aren't $100 grand in the hole on a music performance degree.

https://nonebraska.bandcamp.com/

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
That professor was a moron, most wind players started playing whenever their school band programs started. Usually age 9-12ish. And a lot of pro woodwind players double across many instruments, some of which they would not have learned until after they became pros.

It's not like strings where type-A parents put kids into Suzuki lessons at age 3.

Anyways, end de-rail, I found an in-person teacher and am starting lessons on Saturday after having to take an 8-month hiatus. Looking forward to the 5 year old after me wondering what's wrong with this old guy who can't even play a Bach prelude :v:

Jester Mcgee
Mar 28, 2010

A lot of things have happened to me over my life.

I started taking piano lessons a couple months ago, and I'm absolutely loving it! I've never played an instrument before (I'm 35), and I feel like I've been introduced to a fundamental part of being a person. It also helps that, at least for now, playing the piano is just hitting the dopamine button so it's scratching that adhd itch really good.

My teacher has me working through the Faber books, and is supplementing with classical etudes and some stuff out of Jazz, Rags, and Blues. The Faber stuff is always easy, but when I'm working on some of the harder stuff I swear I can feel my brain making all these connections. It's great basically.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Jester Mcgee posted:

I started taking piano lessons a couple months ago, and I'm absolutely loving it! I've never played an instrument before (I'm 35), and I feel like I've been introduced to a fundamental part of being a person. It also helps that, at least for now, playing the piano is just hitting the dopamine button so it's scratching that adhd itch really good.

My teacher has me working through the Faber books, and is supplementing with classical etudes and some stuff out of Jazz, Rags, and Blues. The Faber stuff is always easy, but when I'm working on some of the harder stuff I swear I can feel my brain making all these connections. It's great basically.

How did you find your piano teacher? I'm trying to find one and worried about it not being a good match

Jester Mcgee
Mar 28, 2010

A lot of things have happened to me over my life.

Booyah- posted:

How did you find your piano teacher? I'm trying to find one and worried about it not being a good match

It was a bit of a process. I tried contacting a local college, and a couple music stores, before I found a teacher who worked for me. When I started looking my thinking was just to find any piano teacher, but the first person who got back to me turned out to be more of a voice person who had got up a bit of piano rather than a real piano player. The second person I went to, whose name I got through a local music store, has an actual studio instead of a practice room, and teaches piano at a local performing arts school.

I sympathize with the struggle of finding a teacher, but just don't be afraid to switch teachers if you don't click.

a.p. dent
Oct 24, 2005
hey piano thread. i'm thinking about buying a digital piano now that i have space. i don't want anything fancy but can spend a bit of money.

i was looking at Yamahas and the P-125 is $700, which is a decent price point for me: https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/P125BK--yamaha-p-125-88-key-weighted-action-digital-piano-black

curious if anybody would recommend for or against it, or has any other thoughts. thanks!

OneSizeFitsAll
Sep 13, 2010

Du bist mein Sofa

Booyah- posted:

I don't know where you are - on the balance of probabilities I assume US - but in the UK there's a popular directory that a lot of teachers sign up for. Would be surprised if there wasn't one in the US, or maybe ones for individual states.

In terms of them being a match, don't be afraid to try a couple of different ones. Some teachers will give a complimentary first lesson where you can see if they would be a good fit for you. Even if it costs money, you will at least learn something (about what you want in a teacher, and maybe a bit of actual piano stuff), so it wouldn't be wasted money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

OneSizeFitsAll posted:

I don't know where you are - on the balance of probabilities I assume US - but in the UK there's a popular directory that a lot of teachers sign up for. Would be surprised if there wasn't one in the US, or maybe ones for individual states.

In terms of them being a match, don't be afraid to try a couple of different ones. Some teachers will give a complimentary first lesson where you can see if they would be a good fit for you. Even if it costs money, you will at least learn something (about what you want in a teacher, and maybe a bit of actual piano stuff), so it wouldn't be wasted money.

Yep, major US city. I see this site which seems to have a good directory: https://takelessons.com/search?service=Piano

Other than that I was thinking the bulletin boards at music stores or local college music department