Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

doingitwrong posted:

When in history did they invent money that comes with a best-before date? I believe that is an entirely new innovation.

Not technically money (then again, neither is this), but tulip bulbs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
https://www.npr.org/sections/money/2019/08/27/754323652/the-strange-unduly-neglected-prophet

hundred years and change

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

New funko maniac just dropped.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

That's the same Funko Man, they all look like that.

drk
Jan 16, 2005
that appears to be only a small portion of his collection

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

At least he took them out of the boxes.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

doingitwrong posted:

When in history did they invent money that comes with a best-before date? I believe that is an entirely new innovation.

It's not the best example, but Zimbabwe issues "special agro-cheques" during their period of hyperinflation, and those had expiry dates.

Part of their accounting gimmick was that it's not cash, it's a cheque! which is why it had the date, but for all intents and purposes it was treated as cash (and later, trash).

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

Ham Equity posted:

Not technically money (then again, neither is this), but tulip bulbs.

After the Romans left Britain, there was no currency for hundreds of years until the 750s when King Offa of Mercia introduced a silver penny.

So crypto bros have invented serfs trading onions for wool.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

doingitwrong posted:

There were libertarians back in the 70s too, who wanted money that inherently deflated - lost a flat percentage of its face value every month, to induce spending rather than hoarding - but damned if I can think of the names now.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Wouldn’t that be inflation, not deflation?

Did you mean depreciated?

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

learnincurve posted:

After the Romans left Britain, there was no currency for hundreds of years until the 750s when King Offa of Mercia introduced a silver penny.

The term is seigniorage I think or is seigniorage not equivalent? There's a whole section of crypto dedicated to it

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Vox Nihili posted:

The part where you scroll down and see he's a moderator is just :discourse:

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

drk posted:

that appears to be only a small portion of his collection

Collections are curated. That's just a hoard.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

learnincurve posted:

Finally, someone has moved us beyond the Settlers of Catan school of economics!

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Vox Nihili posted:

Was this an article or something?

At that level it's basically a personal museum sized collection, so he's either flush with cash or inherited a ton of money, blew it all on funkos, and now just works to afford rent on the space to store them.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

pentyne posted:

At that level it's basically a personal museum sized collection, so he's either flush with cash or inherited a ton of money, blew it all on funkos, and now just works to afford rent on the space to store them.

Nah, it's just an idiot with a comfortable-ish income who prioritizes dumb stuff. Those things are like $12 MSRP.

Let's do some napkin math: each of the "squares" made by those shelves is 3 rows of 9 funkos, for 27 per suqare. I see 8 rows of 5 squares on that shelf, so 40 quares on the shelves. 40x27x12= $12,960. Round up to $15k for the random crap on the top shelf just to be generous.

That's the ballpark we're looking at for MSRP on what's in that picture. Now it might be more or less depending on if he bought rare poo poo at an inflated price or got lucky with sales, but that's the ballpark. We know he has more areas like that based on the other pics, but even assuming that's a fifth of his collection we're still in the $75k range, at the very least well under $100k.

Which yes, is a poo poo ton of money, but if your priorities are hosed you can do that over a few years with a decent but not amazing income. If he's earning enough to spend 10k/yr on his dumb hoarding hobby that's less than a decade of being an idiot.

You see this poo poo a LOT when you get into collector/hobbiest stuff. People of surprisingly modest means who have just gone all in on something really odd.

poo poo, I'll guarantee there are goons hanging around here that if you total up their Steam libraries alone it's comfortably five figures. Even just spending $500/yr on something you enjoy will add up quickly. It's just that in this dude's case there's a physical component that hangs around and piles up.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Who amongst us can judge? I say side eyeing my small collection of £50-£150 snakes who live in their individual £500 a pop wood palaces?

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.
I don’t mind that guy, who is clearly displaying his collection out of the boxes for himself and others to enjoy.

What I don’t understand is the people who buy every new release, scour ebay for specific limited models, attend in person drops at a con or whatever, and then refuse to ever take them out of the box and just stack them hidden in some basement, or worse, an off-site storage facility they are also paying for.

drk
Jan 16, 2005

pentyne posted:

Yes, he was the "funatic" of the month

https://www.funko.com/blog/article/funatic-of-the-month-paul-scardino

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Cyrano4747 posted:

Nah, it's just an idiot with a comfortable-ish income who prioritizes dumb stuff. Those things are like $12 MSRP.

Let's do some napkin math: each of the "squares" made by those shelves is 3 rows of 9 funkos, for 27 per suqare. I see 8 rows of 5 squares on that shelf, so 40 quares on the shelves. 40x27x12= $12,960. Round up to $15k for the random crap on the top shelf just to be generous.

In the article he estimates to have 5500 Funkos, and that was in November 2020. Assuming $12 MSRP for every single one, that is $66,000 in Funkos.

Edit: oh no
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VNY_ZXWmuDA

Sirotan fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Jun 10, 2022

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Anybody wanna buy my Beanie Baby's? $65000 for all of them.

Lady Homunculus
May 22, 2017
My boyfriend plays vintage MTG and it's weird to walk into his office and look at a shoebox on a shelf like "that's a down payment on a house".

Bubblyblubber
Nov 17, 2014
As a lifelong MTG player I can say without a shadow of a doubt that playing MTG, for any reason and at any level, is incredibly BWM and BWL.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

"A co-worker gifted me the Pop! Spider-Man/Hawkeye Civil War pack for my birthday in 2015 and I absolutely fell in love with the bobblehead Pops! (I had not heard of Funko Pops! prior to that)."

Goddamn he acquired that entire dragon's hoard of plastic garbage in just 5 years.

"I've always collected comic books, and once I began collecting Funko Pops!, I ended up collecting other Funko lines, such as Vinyl Idolz, Dorbz, Hikari, Bloks, Mopeez, Pint Size Heroes, Mystery Minis, etc. I also collect Poptaters (Mr. Potato Head as various pop culture characters)."

Jesus Christ.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
This doesn’t really seem like bad with money outside having a hobby is bad with money

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Yeh I'm kind of ok with that dude being contained within his own hobby and not out in the general population at large.

Tomfoolery
Oct 8, 2004

"If we could make a pop for anything, regardless of licensing, what would you want it to be?"
"Myself"

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

CharlestheHammer posted:

This doesn’t really seem like bad with money outside having a hobby is bad with money

It's extremely BWL and frankly Bad With Collecting. As Motronic said before, collections are curated, that's just organized hording.

I'd even argue about whether or not it's a hobby. Collecting CAN be a hobby, but there's generally more to it than just buying all the poo poo that a company makes. You'll find collectors who put a lot of time and effort into learning about a particular weird subset or whatever. Doing deep dives on Moroccan stamps etc. The kinds of people who can tell you about the different sorts of glue that stamps used and how WW2 affected them, etc.

But this poo poo? It's just rampant consumerism cosplaying as a hobby.

It's hard to articulate, but the collectors I know who I'd legitimately describe their collecting as a hobby have an aspect to it that goes beyond just gathering together as much of Thing X as they can.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

CharlestheHammer posted:

There are plenty of hobbies that are bad with money. Most of those expensive hobbies are a billion times cooler than what this guy picked, at least.

If setting the world record for most lovely plastic figurines accumulated doesn't tick the box for you I'm not sure what will.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Ah so this isn’t bad with money this is just goons weird hang ups with funko pops part six thousand

How tedious

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Post your Funko room.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

I don’t own any, I find them kind of ugly. I just do not care if you own any.

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.
I swear we JUST had this exact same loving derail

Some hobbies are stupid, but they're still hobbies because there's no accounting for taste and there's meaning behind it (whether it's historical, personal, or what have you).

Some "hobbies" are not hobbies but people spending shitloads of money on something in a misguided attempt to fill the spot where a personality was supposed to be.

I was under the impression that we all agreed that funk pops were the latter, particularly when you buy them indiscriminately.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

I mean you may agree with that but i think it’s a childish rationalization personally

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

DACK FAYDEN posted:

There were libertarians back in the 70s too, who wanted money that inherently deflated - lost a flat percentage of its face value every month, to induce spending rather than hoarding - but damned if I can think of the names now.

Negative interest rates are a thing. Europe has had them for 8 years.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/europe-had-8-years-negative-102842331.html

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

CharlestheHammer posted:

Ah so this isn’t bad with money this is just goons weird hang ups with funko pops part six thousand

How tedious

It is absolutely bad with money and your whiny posts about it are downright pathetic.

Zauper
Aug 21, 2008

Vox Nihili posted:

It is absolutely bad with money and your whiny posts about it are downright pathetic.

My wife has bought like 3 as toys for our daughter, who enjoys playing with them.

Like anything, it seems fine unless taken to extremes.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Cyrano4747 posted:

But this poo poo? It's just rampant consumerism cosplaying as a hobby.

This. A hobby is spending time doing something you enjoy or brings you refreshment.

The act in this case is just buying a thing. That's it, your hobby is the act of purchasing there's nothing else to it.

Replace the item with something else, say 3m adhesive strips, and then this guy has spent 20k on these:

and proudly displays them like that, it's madness and an unhealthy addiction.

Even collecting Legos to display is a but suspect, since there's an activity, ie building a model, but honestly it's not a sign of skill or talent to be able to follow color coded numbered instructions.

Tomfoolery
Oct 8, 2004

Jerk McJerkface posted:

This. A hobby is spending time doing something you enjoy or brings you refreshment.

The act in this case is just buying a thing. That's it, your hobby is the act of purchasing there's nothing else to it.

Replace the item with something else, say 3m adhesive strips, and then this guy has spent 20k on these:

and proudly displays them like that, it's madness and an unhealthy addiction.

Even collecting Legos to display is a but suspect, since there's an activity, ie building a model, but honestly it's not a sign of skill or talent to be able to follow color coded numbered instructions.

This is really stupid. Obviously when you collect adhesive strips you collect from multiple manufacturers and sizes. I mean, yes, obviously you'd have your 3Ms, but my favorite are the bituminous adhesive strips by riwega. You've also got your Gorilla mounting tape, not to mention various types of adhesive tapes for medical use.

Please think next time before you post.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Zauper posted:

My wife has bought like 3 as toys for our daughter, who enjoys playing with them.

Like anything, it seems fine unless taken to extremes.

It's like beanie babies. Buying five or ten or twenty for your kids or for yourself is completely mundane, but buying thousands of them and piling them to the ceilings and maintaining a giant spreadsheet of your Beanie Equity is a whole different animal.

That level of unhinged consumerism/hoarding is very funny to me. If folks don't find it funny they can always post different content. :shrug: