Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:

~Coxy posted:

You do not use Ryobi One,
Instead you buy Makita
Kompressor break your glue gun
Kompressor scoff at windcheater

Do you currently have, or have any other use for, a 18V battery tool system?
If so I would get a pump and a drill/driver.

If not then I would get a cheap air compressor.

No I am not on any battery system yet, my cordless is a Aldi cheapo. I think it's Milwaukee, not sure tho.
Would be ready to join a team though if that's the recommendation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

~Coxy posted:

You do not use Ryobi One,
Instead you buy Makita
Kompressor break your glue gun
Kompressor scoff at windcheater

M is for Makita, if you’re billing by the hour

M is also for Milwaukee, rich boys love country club showers

D is for DeWalt, the color of a coward

R is for Ryobi if you don’t need any power

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I actually have a cordless inflator that I got at Aldi, back before I was a homeowner and went team Ryobi, and it works quite well, though obviously only rarely available because Aldi.

Do you have a plug easily accessible where you'd fill up your tires? You can get plugin inflators relatively cheaply, certainly much more cheaply than a whole air compressor.

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Paul MaudDib posted:

I'll definitely look into just having it done then. What about those pics doesn't inspire confidence about what's happening underground?

depending on the service it'll cost hundreds of dollars. My neighbor got the sewer line done by rotorooter and it cost $625 for the guy to open the cleanout valve and run the rooter. granted they guarantee it for 6 months but still when my neighbor saw how easy it was he was kicking himself for not renting the rooter and doing it himself.

raingutters is probably just leaf & debris buildup. i still think its worth a try to rent something, best case you clear it yourself, worst case you're out $50 and an afternoon and are calling the service anyways.

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

FISHMANPET posted:

I actually have a cordless inflator that I got at Aldi, back before I was a homeowner and went team Ryobi, and it works quite well, though obviously only rarely available because Aldi.

Do you have a plug easily accessible where you'd fill up your tires? You can get plugin inflators relatively cheaply, certainly much more cheaply than a whole air compressor.

consider getting a 12v cigarette lighter plug in inflator, you can keep them in your car and if your tire goes flat from a small leak you can reinflate and drive to have it repaired. driving on a flat tire means they wont repair and they gotta replace it

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi

BIG-DICK-BUTT-gently caress posted:

consider getting a 12v cigarette lighter plug in inflator, you can keep them in your car and if your tire goes flat from a small leak you can reinflate and drive to have it repaired. driving on a flat tire means they wont repair and they gotta replace it

I have one of those but my bikes outlet can't support it and the hassle of adapters is just annoying.
I do have a outlet nearby, so yeah.

E: I looked at the prices, I'm just gonna order a cheap compressor, even a power supply for my portable compressor is a third of the price.

SEKCobra fucked around with this message at 11:49 on Jun 10, 2022

SouthShoreSamurai
Apr 28, 2009

It is a tale,
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.

Fun Shoe

SEKCobra posted:

No I am not on any battery system yet, my cordless is a Aldi cheapo. I think it's Milwaukee, not sure tho.
Would be ready to join a team though if that's the recommendation.

If you're not on a team yet, I got one of these years ago and it's served me quite well https://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-1...wE&gclsrc=aw.ds

I'm now team Makita with an air compressor, and I still use this inflator pretty frequently. It's just convenient.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi

SouthShoreSamurai posted:

If you're not on a team yet, I got one of these years ago and it's served me quite well https://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-1...wE&gclsrc=aw.ds

I'm now team Makita with an air compressor, and I still use this inflator pretty frequently. It's just convenient.

I have the 12V version of that. But considering a proper 30L low profile compressor is 120€ and 230V "inflators" cost around 50€ I just bit the bullet, I have been eyeing getting an air compressor for years anyway.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Just get a stand up bike pump. I got a $20 target one and it works well. I rarely use my Ryobi inflator for it since it's just a few pumps and the power inflators kind of struggle at higher pressure.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Ones that plug into the 12V suck rear end. My Vair kept blowing my fuses left and right. It’s a bit more of a hassle but the ones with the alligator clips to your battery are much better IMO.

Also, bunch of factory reconditioned Ryobi is on sale at DTO:

https://slickdeals.net/share/iphone_app/fp/726754

Shame the tiny grass trimmer comes with a battery. I could use that.

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Ones that plug into the 12V suck rear end. My Vair kept blowing my fuses left and right. It’s a bit more of a hassle but the ones with the alligator clips to your battery are much better IMO.

Also, bunch of factory reconditioned Ryobi is on sale at DTO:

https://slickdeals.net/share/iphone_app/fp/726754

Shame the tiny grass trimmer comes with a battery. I could use that.

Hmm, interesting. I have a little dealie I got at auto zone to fill a flat and it’s been kicking strong for years.

Good to know about the possibility to clip to the battery

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi

tater_salad posted:

Just get a stand up bike pump. I got a $20 target one and it works well. I rarely use my Ryobi inflator for it since it's just a few pumps and the power inflators kind of struggle at higher pressure.

Literally my first post is about the fact that I did just that and want a power tool for the future.

Captain Organ
Sep 9, 2004
cooter. snooper.

Paul MaudDib posted:

I'll definitely look into just having it done then. What about those pics doesn't inspire confidence about what's happening underground?

Just the chewed up pipes, crushed downspout extensions, open top on the pvc that stuff can get into. if the problem is in the pvc section then no harm no foul to run a big auger down it, if its in the abs then an afternoon with a shovel will get you sorted.

raingutters is probably just leaf & debris buildup. i still think its worth a try to rent something, best case you clear it yourself, worst case you're out $50 and an afternoon and are calling the service anyways.

Plus you'll get to know your local rental shop guys which is a good in itself.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Bike pump is fine for bringing a slightly low tire up to spec, but takes forever to actually fill it by any amount.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
One time my inflator battery had died and I really need to put some air in my car tire and holy poo poo that sucked doing with a hand pump. Obviously a motorcycle is lighter than a car, but heavier than a bike, and to get to a certain PSI it can actually be really difficult to do with a handpump, just the volume of air required, and how much force you need to put on the pump to get that much pressure into a big tire with the weight of the vehicle fighting against you.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

literally everyone who said use a bike pump is a deranged maniac or a competetive strongman

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
It’s not a pressure thing, bike tires usually need higher pressure than a car. It just takes a much greater volume of air to change the pressure in a car tire so a much greater number of pumps.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

$20 brushed Ryobi hammer drill with a 1.5 Ah battery at DTO? Don't mind if I do!

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

SEKCobra posted:

Literally my first post is about the fact that I did just that and want a power tool for the future.

Yeah I'm a dumby I didn't reading comprehension this and somehow I thought bike tire = bike tire. Not motorcycle.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi

tater_salad posted:

Yeah I'm a dumby I didn't reading comprehension this and somehow I thought bike tire = bike tire. Not motorcycle.

Oh actually I guess that's fair enough, I didn't realize how ambiguous my statement was. But yeah, was talking about a motorcycle, my bicycle tyres are OK to fill by hand.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

tater_salad posted:

You'll want a good drill in the same battery ecosystem to drive the paddle mixer when it comes time to pour the concrete security block

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

canyoneer posted:

You'll want a good drill in the same battery ecosystem to drive the paddle mixer when it comes time to pour the concrete security block
Hmm, how many pounds should it be? Gotta make sure the drill is up to the task.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Any knocks against the 40v Ryobi string trimmer? I thought I'd seen some love for it here. HD has it for a decent price, don't know if the lbjohnson grass will let me wait another week for Father's Day.

edit- or if that $149 is still going to be their price in a week.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
Just saw this in the basement of an estate sale.

And yes, that little plastic bin has all sorts of bits and bobs that go with it.
I don't know much about shopsmiths but I don't think this is a bad price, assuming it works:

Even has the bandsaw attachment on the other wall:

Really wish I could get it, but not really any place to put it in my garage, even after I do a big clean/reorganize. Plus I don't even know how I'd get it out of that basement...narrow corners and a turn at the base of the basement stairs, it was almost certainly assembled down there.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
That's a great deal at $300, even if you were just using it as a dedicated lathe or something

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Mr. Mambold posted:

Any knocks against the 40v Ryobi string trimmer? I thought I'd seen some love for it here. HD has it for a decent price, don't know if the lbjohnson grass will let me wait another week for Father's Day.

Love mine have the one that has the swappable 'acessories' and have the tiller too. Does a good job.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

Mr. Mambold posted:

I've got the 18v one, and the worst thing I can say about it is that it doesn't have quite the oomph as my old gas Echo, but still plenty to get the job done. I imagine the 40v would solve that. The 40v doesn't appear to rotate and turn into an edger like the 18v though, that's a bummer.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Slugworth posted:

I've got the 18v one, and the worst thing I can say about it is that it doesn't have quite the oomph as my old gas Echo, but still plenty to get the job done. I imagine the 40v would solve that. The 40v doesn't appear to rotate and turn into an edger like the 18v though, that's a bummer.

I've got the 18v and I agree it doesn't have the oomph to do sidewalks. It's so lightweight, I just use my 90° elbow rotation to do oomphless edging, so I'm hoping this thing will do likewise. Plus it's got bump technology. We'll see. The 40v is substantially heavier.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

It's pretty heavy

Not as bad as like a gas motor, but it's probably 8lbs or so off the back.

tater_salad fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Jun 11, 2022

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer

Mr. Mambold posted:

My mom has it and absolutely loves it.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
:stare:

I think the joke is that OP tried using a collet extender for regular routing operations. It failed under operating conditions. Resulting in a bent collet extender.

---------

Spot on! I there was a moment there where everything actually seemed like it was gonna work, then I turned it on and this happened immediately.

From here.

I wasn't even aware collet extensions were a thing and can never imagine using one after seeing this.

ROJO
Jan 14, 2006

Oven Wrangler

Trabant posted:

I think the joke is that OP tried using a collet extender for regular routing operations. It failed under operating conditions. Resulting in a bent collet extender.

---------

Spot on! I there was a moment there where everything actually seemed like it was gonna work, then I turned it on and this happened immediately.

From here.

I wasn't even aware collet extensions were a thing and can never imagine using one after seeing this.

:stonk:

good lord

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
I just saw an advertisement for FLEX POWER TOOLS and I feel like I just drank a monster energy drink.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Trabant posted:

---------

From here.

The thought of that spinning at 20k RPM's is terrifying and I'm surprised it didn't destroy that tiny router in a real big hurry after it bent.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
I have used collet extenders before but on a, you know, 1/16 HP Dremel tool.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

The thought of that spinning at 20k RPM's is terrifying and I'm surprised it didn't destroy that tiny router in a real big hurry after it bent.

It could have flown right off and through his chest or face, ftm.

edit- in stupid confessions, I did something similar to that with a shaper and a chuck, and well I'm lucky to be here to tell the tale.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
If you're an absolute weirdo like me who prefers the smaller lighter 2AH Ryobi batteries over the big heavy 4AH batteries, you can pick up a pair today for $60.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/RYOBI-ONE-18V-Lithium-Ion-2-0-Ah-Compact-Battery-2-Pack-with-18V-Lithium-Ion-Charger-PCL202KN/318940497

Danhenge
Dec 16, 2005

FISHMANPET posted:

If you're an absolute weirdo like me who prefers the smaller lighter 2AH Ryobi batteries over the big heavy 4AH batteries, you can pick up a pair today for $60.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/RYOBI-ONE-18V-Lithium-Ion-2-0-Ah-Compact-Battery-2-Pack-with-18V-Lithium-Ion-Charger-PCL202KN/318940497

That seems surprisingly expensive to me.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Normally $135 for the pair, right now in the larger Ryobi sale it seems to be down to $99, which is the same price as a pair of 4AH batteries. $50 a pair would put it on the same level of $/Watt Hour as the $100 deal, but I suspect $60 is about as low as it's ever gonna get.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

I always wanted to be a Wizard

FISHMANPET posted:

Not a Ryobi man, but I use my small tool batteries all the time. Sometimes I'm putting together furniture or mounting a picture or something, I don't need a big boy. Very handy and useful to have some smaller batteries for small jobs. It makes the tool much lighter and handier.