Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sailor Viy
Aug 4, 2013

And when I can swim no longer, if I have not reached Aslan's country, or shot over the edge of the world into some vast cataract, I shall sink with my nose to the sunrise.

StrixNebulosa posted:

I'm screwing around online looking through book blogs and found this:

https://bookriot.com/queer-books-in-translation/

And that sounds amazing - has anyone in here read it?

Have not read this one but Tidbeck's short stories are wonderful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)

A Proper Uppercut posted:

Just finished Adrian Tchaikovsky's Elder Race. Really enjoyed it. Pretty short as far as fantasy novels go, and seems to be standalone. That quote "Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic" (probably got that wrong) is kind of the main theme. Also really enjoyed the way he played with the language translation between the two main characters.

Really digging Tchaikovsky's stuff lately.
I thought this was good too! A light and comfortable and fun read

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay

StrixNebulosa posted:

I'm screwing around online looking through book blogs and found this:

https://bookriot.com/queer-books-in-translation/

And that sounds amazing - has anyone in here read it?

Yes! It's extremely good and extremely weird. Tidbeck is really really good at crafting a world.

tildes
Nov 16, 2018

Happiness Commando posted:

Never don't repost the KA Applegate letter about the series ending

Link

Late but this letter is my favorite. She had some book about aliens fighting by developing entire cultures and having them destroy each other (as far as I remember from childhood), and I remember even then being surprised by how intense it was.

moonmazed
Dec 27, 2021

by VideoGames
that was probably from the ellimist - they were just computer games but his species got wiped out by aliens who thought they were really manipulating whole cultures for fun (which he ends up doing later anyway)

i loved the animorphs books but i loved those ones especially - the ellimist, visser, and hork-bajir chronicles were all borderline xenofiction and i fuckin love aliens

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
So I'm like a third of the way into Hench by Natalie Zina Walschots. I can't remember who recommended it, but it came up last time people were talking about Soon I Will Be Invincible, and I just want to say it's fantastic lol.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I read about 5% further and I revise my statement to say that it's absolutely horrifying lmfao. There's lots of stories out there where the heroes are worse than the villains but this one is the only one that legitimately upset me.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
If Hench if the book I'm remembering, holy gently caress the ending got disturbing. Good book though.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

If Hench if the book I'm remembering, holy gently caress the ending got disturbing. Good book though.

Yeah dude. It's nuts. I wish there was more, I like her writing but it seems like it's her only novel, at least on Amazon.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Hench is fun, and she seems to be working on a sequel

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

A Proper Uppercut posted:

Really digging Tchaikovsky's stuff lately.

I'm reading Children of Ruin after finishing Children of Time and his aliens are so good. The whole story of the Portiids is related in such an interesting and elegant way, you get to the point where you cannot wait to see what happens when they meet humans for the first time. Also, I kinda like spiders now wtf? There's also just a sprinkle of that ironic English Adams/Prachett idiom in his prose that really makes it readable.

This thread costs me so much fuckign money.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

zoux posted:

I'm reading Children of Ruin after finishing Children of Time and his aliens are so good. The whole story of the Portiids is related in such an interesting and elegant way, you get to the point where you cannot wait to see what happens when they meet humans for the first time. Also, I kinda like spiders now wtf? There's also just a sprinkle of that ironic English Adams/Prachett idiom in his prose that really makes it readable.

We're going on an adventure!

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

Where do fists come from?

Groke posted:

:allears: I loved that bit so much

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Groke posted:

Literally just read that chapter. Marvelous.

pradmer
Mar 31, 2009

Follow me for more books on special!
The Player of Games (Culture #2) by Iain M Banks - $2.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002WM3HC2/

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:
Smashing your way into our hearts one skylight at a time

zoux posted:

Children of Memory, the third part of the series, is meant to be released later this year.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

zoux posted:

If you like Spiders you should pick up Vinge's 'A Deepness in the Sky', whose arachnid friends have a warm, bucolic Tolkienesque society :mmmhmm:

Velius
Feb 27, 2001

NoneMoreNegative posted:

If you like Spiders you should pick up Vinge's 'A Deepness in the Sky', whose arachnid friends have a warm, bucolic Tolkienesque society :mmmhmm:

This remains my favorite book and I won’t say anything more. I love Vinge and wish he was still writing. Just reread Marooned in Real-time and it’s still a solid book too.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

NoneMoreNegative posted:

Oh, one of my favorites

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

Velius posted:

This remains my favorite book and I won’t say anything more. I love Vinge and wish he was still writing. Just reread Marooned in Real-time and it’s still a solid book too.

Currently waiting for Rainbows End to become reality, we're almost right on track!

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
Thread was correct. The Raven's Tower was indeed excellent. Leckie is 4/5 for me with two of the novels being top-tier sci-fi/fantasy imo (Raven's Tower & Ancillary Justice). Her only mediocre book is Provenance.

Sailor Viy
Aug 4, 2013

And when I can swim no longer, if I have not reached Aslan's country, or shot over the edge of the world into some vast cataract, I shall sink with my nose to the sunrise.

moonmazed posted:

that was probably from the ellimist - they were just computer games but his species got wiped out by aliens who thought they were really manipulating whole cultures for fun (which he ends up doing later anyway)

i loved the animorphs books but i loved those ones especially - the ellimist, visser, and hork-bajir chronicles were all borderline xenofiction and i fuckin love aliens

The Andalite Chronicles is the only book from the series that I still own. I love how even when the protagonist is a blue alien centaur, they still have to be a teenage blue alien centaur.

moonmazed
Dec 27, 2021

by VideoGames
can't believe i forgot about the most important one <:mad:>

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
Rainbows End felt incredibly prophetic for a while when it seemed like AR was right around the corner.

pradmer
Mar 31, 2009

A Perfect Vacuum by Stanislaw Lem - $2.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B008FC7TZ4/

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.

Larry Parrish posted:

my absolute favorite in the loose genre of litrpg, though, is Ar'Kendrythist, an extremely long slice of life web serial about a man and his adult daughter ending up on a planet with magic, which is the sole survivor of the apocalypse that destroyed the universe the planet came from. It's mostly about how the protagonist Erick understands and deals with rapidly becoming one of the foremost global powers, and using his experienced as a social worker to make the world a better place even though most magic in general is only used for violence.

How exactly do I get this novel on my Kindle? I'm. Little lost with this royal roads thing

Armauk
Jun 23, 2021

Jarvisi posted:

How exactly do I get this novel on my Kindle? I'm. Little lost with this royal roads thing

Use Calibre.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Jarvisi posted:

you don't, unless you use an app to archive the pages as an ebook format of some kind. some people swear by those but I think they're more annoying than just reading the web site.

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.

Larry Parrish posted:

you don't, unless you use an app to archive the pages as an ebook format of some kind. some people swear by those but I think they're more annoying than just reading the web site.

Bummer. I hate being forced to be online

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

Calibre+fanficfare plug-in. You point it at the RR url and it will make a ebook file from that. Occasionally push the update button and it will download-and-append new chapters.

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song before I go / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today
Janny Wurts's Master of Whitestorm is on sale today!
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08S7GH5C5/ - $1.99

It's another of her standalones. The one that usually gets recommended is To Ride Hell's Chasm. This one is a solid read too.

pradmer
Mar 31, 2009

The Tower of Fools (Hussite #1) by Andrzej Sapkowski - $2.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07ZZ22J48/

CIRCE by Madeline Miller - $4.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B074M5TLLJ/

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

How does Watts' Icarus Array work exactly? Sending "blueprints" for anti-protons? What does that mean?

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

zoux posted:

How does Watts' Icarus Array work exactly? Sending "blueprints" for anti-protons? What does that mean?

Ugh I had to stop and think this through and I don't think I got it quite right, but:

Here's the real science.

It's possible to teleport information from one atom to another assuming you have an appropriate channel between them. This requires both a quantum connection (entanglement) and a classical link (something like a laser pulse). The teleportation is limited to the speed of light, as is all information transfer with quantum entanglement; despite what properties like Mass Effect would have you think, it is NOT instantaneous.

The information that's transmitted is stuff like an electron's spin. It's quantum information, the kind of thing you can't know definitely until you measure it.

Here's the science fiction:

Just as you can teleport other quantum information, it's possible to move the quantum state of 'being antimatter' (the quantum numbers that define a particle as matter or antimatter, specifically) from one atom to another. Energy is conserved because you're just swapping the two around. You entangle a proton and an antiproton, then teleport the 'anti' part from one proton to the other.

So Watts says, there's a giant reactor (the Icarus Array) around the sun. It uses sunlight to turn regular matter into antimatter.

Meanwhile we've got a giant spaceship, the Thesus, which we want to be propelled by matter/antimatter annihilation. But we don't want to actually store antimatter aboard, because it's incredibly dangerous, and the containment systems would be really massive and slow the ship down.

So we're going to have the Icarus Array shoot a big stream of photons out to the Theseus. These photons are going to be the classical channel we use to accompany quantum teleportation. They [I don't understand this part well and don't think I got it right] entangle our antiprotons on the Icarus Array with protons stored aboard the Theseus.

Then we do quantum teleportation and, boom, we swap our antiprotons on the Icarus Array with protons on the Theseus. We then react the antiprotons we just sent to the Theseus with other protons aboard, creating energy (which ultimately came from the sun, and was just stored in antiprotons for ease of transport and release).

Voila, we have 'telematter': the ability to remotely transform matter into antimatter for use as fuel. The universe is okay with it because we're not creating energy form nothing, just very rapidly moving it.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I see, that makes sense (in the spooky action from a distance manner anyway)

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
that just sounds like the old 60s plan for propelling solar sails with massive laser batteries but with more steps

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Well you get a shitton more thrust out of antimatter reactions

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

zoux posted:

It's like a 3d-printer that works off of quantum mechanics, rsync the file copying/cloning utility and a gently caress load of magic.

offtopic:
Some oddball non-fiction book I read last week brought The Brick Moon, a 1869 scifi novella to my attention.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

The Icarus Array hits the sweet spot for me, where I have heard of all of the words and names of things involved, but have the barest possible understanding of what they actually are. That's scifi baby!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
going to bring back classical rear end-pull sci fi for my story about earth harvesting copium from primitive aliens to power their civilization