Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

The only other JRPGs I've played to any form of completion (beyond the main story, in this case) are Pokemon Red and Blue, and Evolution on the Dreamcast. Evolution was pretty fun and the characters had voice lines in combat but they were all in Japanese without subtitles. I do like the banter and call outs in FFXV and XIII a lot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

FF12 has the most brutal reading of the word "HARK" in any media ever

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
I like that 12's cast doesn't really like each other much and just kinda tolerate each other since they have the same goals.

Much like how 7 is a cast of rejects that just kinda end up with each other, or 4 being a bunch of people who really respect each other besides Edge.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Mega64 posted:

I like that 12's cast doesn't really like each other much and just kinda tolerate each other since they have the same goals.

Much like how 7 is a cast of rejects that just kinda end up with each other, or 4 being a bunch of people who really respect each other besides Edge.

There's something you can really make out of how the party makeup of a Final Fantasy is perhaps the most deciding factor in the actual tone and direction of the game.

Like how 4 and 5 are about as goofy as each other overall, but we remember 4 as the serious one and 5 as the silly one mostly because of Bartz and Galuf. Or how a lot of both 14's story and discourse around it can be traced back to the fact that the entire core party are huge loving nerds more inclined towards thinking about a proper solution than just going 'we'll kill it and call that good'.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I decided the best way to play Final Fantasy V for the first time was with four job fiesta! :v: I got Knight, Red Mage, Beastmaster, and Dragoon for my picks. I am playing the pixel re-master version.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Cleretic posted:

There's something you can really make out of how the party makeup of a Final Fantasy is perhaps the most deciding factor in the actual tone and direction of the game.

Like how 4 and 5 are about as goofy as each other overall, but we remember 4 as the serious one and 5 as the silly one mostly because of Bartz and Galuf. Or how a lot of both 14's story and discourse around it can be traced back to the fact that the entire core party are huge loving nerds more inclined towards thinking about a proper solution than just going 'we'll kill it and call that good'.

With 4 I think it is more that outside of Cecil the majority of the party rotates until the very near end of the game so you don't really have a core group bouncing off each other which means you end up with a lot more focus on Cecil's general dour goodness.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I got recommended this video ranking each FF by its intro cinematic. VIII's opening FMV is pretty unforgettable I think to anybody growing up in that era. The graphics are unbelievable, it has an all time great song....but it really is the perfect opening for Final Fantasy VIII since it's all flash and no substance. The cryptic words and shots of these two guys fighting and the music makes you think something amazing is happening but It's not at all. I remember little me seeing Edea and Rinoa intercut with these two fighting made me think there's a princess and an evil queen and these two are having an epic struggle because of that somehow.

No, they just reused FMVs of Edea and Rinoa in the opening for no real reason. They have zero to do with what's going on in that scene. All that's actually happeing as Liber Fatali's chorus blasts your ears is two teenagers slapfighting during their final exam.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

NikkolasKing posted:

I got recommended this video ranking each FF by its intro cinematic. VIII's opening FMV is pretty unforgettable I think to anybody growing up in that era. The graphics are unbelievable, it has an all time great song....but it really is the perfect opening for Final Fantasy VIII since it's all flash and no substance. The cryptic words and shots of these two guys fighting and the music makes you think something amazing is happening but It's not at all. I remember little me seeing Edea and Rinoa intercut with these two fighting made me think there's a princess and an evil queen and these two are having an epic struggle because of that somehow.

No, they just reused FMVs of Edea and Rinoa in the opening for no real reason. They have zero to do with what's going on in that scene. All that's actually happeing as Liber Fatali's chorus blasts your ears is two teenagers slapfighting during their final exam.

I follow those streamers (it's two of the people behind Drawfee, which is great), and that stream was really good fun. As well as the first time I'd seen the PS1 CGI intros to the early Final Fantasy games, and holy poo poo did they do FFV dirty with that one.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

NikkolasKing posted:

All that's actually happeing as Liber Fatali's chorus blasts your ears is two teenagers slapfighting during their final exam.

Hey Squall had to go to hospital for that cut on his nose.

bentacos
Oct 9, 2012
Meanwhile Seifer just rubbed some dirt on his and called it good.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Is there something like AI upscaling but for audio? Even in the XII HD remaster the audio sounds like it’s coming from the bottom of a well.

I really want to like XII but it feels like most of the things it attempted with its battle system were perfected in VIIR. It did such a great job of letting you quickly switch between 3 characters or give orders to them so you don’t need to rely on programming their AI.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

NikkolasKing posted:

FF8 is a timeloop. The words in the intro are Rinoas words to Squall during time compression and the scenery is the landscapes of the world compressed. The images of Rinoa and Edea are memories Squall has as he’s reaching out. But he fails and gets reset back to his Seifer fight with no memories of what happened. (Thanks GFs!)
The actual ending you get in the game is when Squall finally manages to give a poo poo and remeber Rinoas face and break the cycle, after who knows how many attempts.
So the intro is actually full of meaning, hth.

I don’t even know if I’m joking. FF8 is weird. And good.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

More random musings on FF in general:

Before I started playing FF7 was the "typical" Final Fantasy to me, the one I thought of whenever someone mentioned Final Fantasy.

I do think it's interesting they started playing around with the combat from XI onward, not so much the "dudes standing in a row and taking turns punching things". I mean, even if that's what XIII ultimately was, it feels different, and XV and XII also feel different. I also know there's a lot more to "stand in row and punch" in the other FFs but glancing at a few videos XI-XV is where it starts to visually and mechanically be different.

Just got to the Royal Palace in FFXII. I went Black Mage for Vaan cuz I like playing mages, and made Penelo a Knight. I probably should've done the opposite cuz Vaan's got more HP, but oh well.

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

Kiss me up, touch me, fuckin' rock my world holmes, I don't care
It doesn't really matter too much which jobs you pick and also you can switch who you control whenever you want, you're not locked to Vaan.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

Also I take back what I said about the voice acting, it's actually good. It's just recorded/mixed really loving weird. PS2 limitations, I assume.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

They managed to fix how tinny it sounded in the HD remaster, thankfully

It's not as bad as before but you can still tell it's low quality.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

FrostyPox posted:

Just got to the Royal Palace in FFXII. I went Black Mage for Vaan cuz I like playing mages, and made Penelo a Knight. I probably should've done the opposite cuz Vaan's got more HP, but oh well.

Vaan has high stats all around so he can do anything well. That said, it really doesn't matter what you pick for who. The characters do have stat differences but they're not important enough to be a reason to pick one job or another. And if you do decide you don't like how you set up your team, you can change your job assignments for free at the Clan Centurio headquarters.

That said I am a big fan of heavy armor Penelo and basically always make her some sort of "wear heavy armor and hit things" job.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

The characters have different animations with different weapons right?

That's probably the most important thing you have to consider honestly

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Elvis_Maximus posted:

The characters have different animations with different weapons right?

That's probably the most important thing you have to consider honestly

They do but it's really not that important in a regular playthrough. You can definitely get through all content just fine without worrying about it.

It can give you some advantages for going after hunts as early as possible and the super bosses.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

The animation speed doesn't matter too much but animations do matter because the right weapon to give each character is the one they look the best swinging around.

animation speed actually makes a surprisingly large difference in DPS, especially with combo-heavy weapons like katanas (Ashe is actually the slowest by far and thus worst with katanas despite the common wisdom), but even in the Struggle for Freedom harder difficulty mod it's still not something that matters enough to try to build around and you should still give Ashe a katana because she looks cool

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
Even if you're obsessive and compelled to optimize your animation speeds, I think it basically boils down to: don't give Balthier guns, Fran bows, or Ashe katanas.

Rythian
Dec 31, 2007

You take what comes, and the rest is void.

Which sucks because those are the most thematic weapons for all of them.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
Well that's why in exchange, they get cooler animations. Which is more important than the microseconds you save with more "optimal" weapons.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

The other katana misconception is treating them like they're pure magic weapons. They do use Magick Power in their damage calculation, but they also use Strength, and Strength matters significantly more. If you can, you want to give your Bushi access to heavy armor to boost their Strength.

Basch is probably the best with katanas due to his combination of speed and very fast combo speed but again, this doesn't matter nearly enough to build around.

FrostyPox posted:

I went Black Mage for Vaan cuz I like playing mages

One bit of advice I forgot to mention: Black Mages rule, and rule even more if you use element-boosting staves. I'm mentioning this because the game doesn't tell you in item descriptions that any weapons have this property, but some staves boost the damage of a specific element by a full 50%, which is huge. They are:

Cherry Staff - wind
Storm, Flame, and Glacial Staff - thunder, fire, and blizzard respectively

There are some later staves that also boost elements, as well as some late-game armors, but I'd recommend hanging onto all four of the above staves once you get them because that 50% damage boost on spells is bigger than anything any other staff can give your mage.

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

As predicted in the Bible. :cheers:

Ashe's canonical weapon is the Tournesol. :colbert:

Penelo as a white mage/monk using poles is ridiculous. She's fast at beating the poo poo of of things while keeping the party healed.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

It doesnt matter in the slightest because FF12 is easy as gently caress, give people stuff you think looks cool

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
My first play of XII back in 2006 I beat the final boss by arming everyone with hammers. Nothing matters lol

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Sakurazuka posted:

It doesnt matter in the slightest because FF12 is easy as gently caress, give people stuff you think looks cool

Its this. 6 machinists can beat the game with only minimal actual work

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

HD DAD posted:

My first play of XII back in 2006 I beat the final boss by arming everyone with hammers. Nothing matters lol

I have not beaten FFXII in a long time, and I like to think I've gotten a decent bit better at video games in the last decade, but I think The Undying is a surprisingly hard boss fight compared to everything else in the endgame.

If you are just coasting, it can kill you, something nothing else even comes close to.

bentacos
Oct 9, 2012
I'm sure some sick gently caress has beaten the game using only measures.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Not sure anything will ever beat the video I saw on Retsupurae ages ago of some guy doing a solo White Mage run in FF1 in terms of "why do you hate yourself."

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

https://twitter.com/wario64/status/1536521962729549824

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

I never played LUCT so I am very much looking forward to that, hope it comes to PC. Also I'm like 99% sure they took the animation speed difference making Balthier worse with guns, Fran worse with bows, etc. out of the game in TZA

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

NikkolasKing posted:

Not sure anything will ever beat the video I saw on Retsupurae ages ago of some guy doing a solo White Mage run in FF1 in terms of "why do you hate yourself."

A long, long time ago I saw two guys do simultaneous LPs of a Black Mage and a White Mage, and they both actually did pretty well. The trick is, after a certain point, the game basically throws weapons and armor that cast free magic at you. Also, INVS stacks every time you use it, at least in the NES version.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Fake, 'Reborn' isn't a Queen song.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

That's another Square game on the Nvidia list confirmed then. The last ones are FF9 FFT and Tomb Raider (presumably cancelled since they sold the god drat studio).

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

stev posted:

That's another Square game on the Nvidia list confirmed then. The last ones are FF9 FFT and Tomb Raider (presumably cancelled since they sold the god drat studio).

And a Deus Ex. So if you're actually holding any value to the Nvidia leak, that's another cancelled. As well as a myriad of untitled games that you have no way to confirm or deny anything about.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Cleretic posted:

And a Deus Ex. So if you're actually holding any value to the Nvidia leak, that's another cancelled. As well as a myriad of untitled games that you have no way to confirm or deny anything about.

I was going by PC Gamer's list which makes educated guesses about the unnamed games. I don't think I've seen Deus Ex on any list though.

Chrono Cross Remaster ✅
Final Fantasy 7 Remake ✅
Final Fantasy 9 Remake
Final Fantasy Tactics Remaster
Kingdom Hearts 4 ✅
New strategy game ✅ (The DioField Chronicle)
Tactics Ogre Remaster
Tomb Raider 25th Anniversary (2021)
Unannounced Card Game 2 ✅ (Voice of Cards: The Forsaken Maiden)

Rythian
Dec 31, 2007

You take what comes, and the rest is void.

I guess we're assuming a remake/remaster of LUCT. That's cool. I was just considering playing the PSP version. Maybe I'll wait for this and play Knight of Lodis instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Sakurazuka posted:

Yeah this is more what I was meaning. You should give people whatever looks coolest for them :hai: