Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.
My local Barnes and Noble recently rearranged the entire store. They used to have five full bookcases of Criterions. Now they have one. They expanded Arrow from a little end cap to a full case too, but it was a lot of copies of the same movies.

I'm gonna put my fist through a wall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Gripweed posted:

My local Barnes and Noble recently rearranged the entire store. They used to have five full bookcases of Criterions. Now they have one. They expanded Arrow from a little end cap to a full case too, but it was a lot of copies of the same movies.

I live in a city with three B&N, and only one location has movies, and the Criterion shelves are those old CD shelves you'd see at like FYE. It's both sides, but they're never full.

It adds to the thrill of the hunt.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Yea if you still have a B&N near you and it actually still has at least some Criterions, consider yourself lucky. To be honest I expected them to be extinct by now so however long they survive is just a bonus.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Basebf555 posted:

Yea if you still have a B&N near you and it actually still has at least some Criterions, consider yourself lucky. To be honest I expected them to be extinct by now so however long they survive is just a bonus.

There's a place in my city called Town Center, which is like a giant outdoor mall for shopping. They have a really nice B&N, and it used to have walls and walls of movies, with a huge Criterion selection.

They gutted that out about 10 years ago. Now they only sell books, board games and kids toys. They also have all of their NOOK center stuff up, but they don't really sell NOOKs anymore, so it's just a big center area with tables.

It's very strange.

Now I have to drive 40 minutes to get to the B&N that sells movies, but it's whatever.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

My holy grail movie is shout’s return of the living dead. I check every weird electronic store for it, hoping someone chucked their entire collection or something. Or even just had them sitting from years back.

I love the hunt even tho I know it’s pointless

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
I have two Barnes within 40 minutes that sell movies. The closer one used to have a big movie section with knowledgable staff. I remember one of the guys talked me into getting Chimes at Midnight also while I was picking something else up. Now most of that movie section is replaced by board games.

Luckily the farther store still has a solid section with multiple shelves of criterion’s and an expanding Arrow section. But I miss the knowledgable staff.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.

Basebf555 posted:

The weird thing is that the other Barnes and Noble near me is closing and they put everything on clearance. Except for two sections which they moved out before the clearance sale started, presumably to be sold for MSRP at other stores. And those two sections were manga and Criterion.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
The nearest B&N to me heavily cut their movie stock but has a beefy manga section. Probably a 1/3 of the actual book display on the first floor is manga.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Shiroc posted:

The nearest B&N to me heavily cut their movie stock but has a beefy manga section. Probably a 1/3 of the actual book stock on the first floor is manga.

It's their biggest seller. Last time I went to B&N they had a dedicated salesmen to talk to teens to recommend or help them find manga.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
I can imagine it does really well. Volumes are cheap and I know I really, really strongly prefer comics as actual books instead of digital. At a level beyond how I feel about it for movies and games.

The idea of salesperson trying to talk to me when I'm looking at the shelves would either be a genuine delight or absolute horror to me when 90% of the manga I read is lesbian romance.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I love RLM but they’re also the absolute worst thing to happen to film critique.

If a movie has technical flaws or bad dialogue or whatever, I’m more than willing to forgive or outright ignore them if the rest of the movie is compelling and entertaining. Half the movies mentioned in this thread don’t pass the bare minimum technical tests, but we love them anyway because of how we feel watching them.

I like the prequels and all the z-grade poo poo I buy from all these boutique labels. If someone else doesn’t, that’s fine, but imo it’s a fool’s errand to try and quantify why someone likes a thing that you don’t.

I look at it this way -

There's the film's basic construction, and there's how you responded to the film.

A film can be poorly made and still be enjoyable. A film can be well made and just be absolutely horrible. There are MST3K episodes where I actually kind of enjoy the movie because it's a "bad" film, but I still had fun and some engagement with the plot.

Reviewing a film requires you to see both and explain why. Sometimes, there's something that you bounced off of, but you can understand why someone can enjoy it. Sometimes, there are films where you just don't like, and that's okay.

And sometimes you love a film because it's bad. Like Gotti - it's a terrible film on every account, but God drat, do I love it. There's something about watching something so off the wall and wrong headed from the start that I can't forget!

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
I think most people looking to buy physical media aren't going to drive to a B&N to pay $40 per blu ray :shrug:

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I think saying “I love it but it’s an objectively terrible film” is cowards thinking.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

CelticPredator posted:

I think saying “I love it but it’s an objectively terrible film” is cowards thinking.

Eh. I adore the Street Fighter movie with Van Damme and Julia, but it has an objectively terrible script, some baffling editing choices and some occasionally stupefyingly bad acting, like from Kylie Minogue and the dopes who play Ken and Ryu.

But I still love it and own it on DVD and Blu-ray.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

Shiroc posted:

I watched the uhd for the original Jurassic Park this weekend. It was the first 4k disc I've watched that felt completely non-notable as far as visuals to me.

I'm glad I checked out some reviews first, it's a real shame this never got any sort of decent remastering. I don't care if the CG aspects won't hold up, just give me a solid uhd. At least they broke the films out of a bundle finally, I would need brain damage to want to watch 3 again.

The newest sequel being absolute poo poo and flopping has me convinced we won't see that definitive disc anytime soon, if ever. Another franchise with one decent film and then "oops all crap-berries".

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

If you love it it’s good. I don’t buy it and think it’s horseshit. I’ve had too many people tell me something I legit think is fantastic actually sucks because a bunch of poo poo I do not in any way give a poo poo about lol.

If I like it, it’s good to me. Does this work for film criticism? No. Does my opinion help you watch new things? Probably not. What is my point? Enjoy your movies

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

CelticPredator posted:

If you love it it’s good. I don’t buy it and think it’s horseshit. I’ve had too many people tell me something I legit think is fantastic actually sucks because a bunch of poo poo I do not in any way give a poo poo about lol.

If I like it, it’s good to me. Does this work for film criticism? No. Does my opinion help you watch new things? Probably not. What is my point? Enjoy your movies

I could easily listen to someone bash my fav movie all day long and it wouldn't change a thing cuz..that's just like, your opinion man.

I'm just happy they haven't given up making discs yet, everything else is gravy

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Yeah I dunno. I’m insecure and weak and After a while it started to hurt when too many people would straight up say I have horrible taste, or I’m not worth paying attention too bc I like X movie or whatever.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late

zer0spunk posted:

I'm glad I checked out some reviews first, it's a real shame this never got any sort of decent remastering. I don't care if the CG aspects won't hold up, just give me a solid uhd. At least they broke the films out of a bundle finally, I would need brain damage to want to watch 3 again.

The newest sequel being absolute poo poo and flopping has me convinced we won't see that definitive disc anytime soon, if ever. Another franchise with one decent film and then "oops all crap-berries".

I only saw 3 once. Most of it wasn't great but I remember the bit with the Spinosaurus at the end with the boat being really cool. The night and rain setting echoed the T-Rex pen scene from the first movie while still doing its own thing.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

Shiroc posted:

I only saw 3 once. Most of it wasn't great but I remember the bit with the Spinosaurus at the end with the boat being really cool. The night and rain setting echoed the T-Rex pen scene from the first movie while still doing its own thing.

I played Lego Jurassic World recently, not realizing it covers movies 1-5 and even adorable lego form couldn't save that movie, or most of them.

The raptor dream sequence does still slay even in brick form though. ALAN

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

CelticPredator posted:

My holy grail movie is shout’s return of the living dead. I check every weird electronic store for it, hoping someone chucked their entire collection or something. Or even just had them sitting from years back.

I love the hunt even tho I know it’s pointless

Hmmm I didn’t know it was OOP

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

CelticPredator posted:

Yeah I dunno. I’m insecure and weak and After a while it started to hurt when too many people would straight up say I have horrible taste, or I’m not worth paying attention too bc I like X movie or whatever.

gently caress those people and anyone like them. I really don’t get the current obsession with making people feel bad about the media that brings them joy. We don’t have a lot of hours on this loving rock man, just let people like that they like.

PinkoBastard
Oct 3, 2010

CelticPredator posted:

I feel like I occupy exactly the space I want to: weirdo trash sucker freak who can also hang in a conversation about Ozu, or Fellini, or whatever. I suspect there are lots of us in this thread. I don’t think there’s a “wrong” way to be a film fan. gently caress those people!

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
You need to be secure enough in your own taste that if something you really like isn't very popular, you truly believe that it's everyone else's problem.

For example, Southland Tales. Southland Tales is a brilliant masterpiece. I genuinely believe it's poor performance is entirely due to the movie-going audience being cretinous dullards.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Does anyone have an opinion on whether the Collateral 4K is worth an upgrade over the blu? Also, same question but for The Thing (Scream Factory version)

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
I cannot stress this enough, if you do not like Southland Tales that reveals a flaw in how you appreciate and interpret art.

ExplodingChef
May 25, 2005

Deathscorts are the true American heroes.

dorium posted:

Hmmm I didn’t know it was OOP

I hadn't realized until fairly recently that the Shout/Scream stuff gets pricey when it goes OOP. Guess if I ever need some quick cash I could unload ROTLD and TCM 2 :P

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Gripweed posted:

I cannot stress this enough, if you do not like Southland Tales that reveals a flaw in how you appreciate and interpret art.

I need to revisit Southland Tales. I tried watching it a long time ago when I was a pleb and didn't finish.

ExplodingChef posted:

I hadn't realized until fairly recently that the Shout/Scream stuff gets pricey when it goes OOP. Guess if I ever need some quick cash I could unload ROTLD and TCM 2 :P

You might be too late on TCM 2, Vinegar Syndrome is dropping a 4k later this year.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Gripweed posted:

That's a pretty arrogant take. I think that movie is utter garbage and Kelly has nothing fascinating to say as a director (with my opinion being bolstered by his director's cut of Donnie Darko). But to say that means I have an issue with appreciating art? gently caress off with that noise.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

GrandpaPants posted:

Does anyone have an opinion on whether the Collateral 4K is worth an upgrade over the blu? Also, same question but for The Thing (Scream Factory version)

The Thing gets a boost from HDR. It's the most the colors have popped and how much detail the physical effects have, which feels good instead of artificial. That said, the Shout blu-ray I have that came in a Steelbook looks fantastic. So it's kinda like trading in a A- for an A+, unless you're a superfan of Carpenter or The Thing and want to see the film in the best way possible.

This is a comparison of the 4k UHD to the Arrow blu-ray, if you want to compare it to something: http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film10/blu-ray_review_160/the_thing_4K_UHD.htm

I think the Shout blu-ray in the steelbook looks better than that Arrow release, though.

edit: Here's a comparison video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v-m03sCHGdQ

Franchescanado fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Jun 15, 2022

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

CelticPredator posted:

RLM ruined Star Wars talk

Terminally online weirdos were unironically saying "George Lucas raped my childhood" a good decade before RLM even existed. That well has been poisoned for a long time. Insular fandoms are never not terrible.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I love RLM but they’re also the absolute worst thing to happen to film critique.

I think that's just youtube as a whole. The more popular "critics" on there have incredibly weak commentary on surface level poo poo or try to outsmart the movie by mentioning "what's wrong with it". But people eat this poo poo up both because of the easily accessible and disposable nature of youtube content (and probably streaming content as a whole) and the average viewer doesn't really dissect the media they take in. It's less that RLM and it's contemporaries inherently ruined film criticism, it's just that it gave a lot of annoying faux intellectual goobers a megaphone.

EL BROMANCE posted:

The videos they did around the prequel times were fun, but I'm not sure why they have such a huge cult around them.

They're old enough for people to be nostalgic about them.

Gripweed posted:

The B&N in my area doesn't and has never sold Criterion stuff or movies in general for that matter. The only thing I've ever seen there is a handful of grossly overpriced Harry Potter movies. Consider yourself lucky.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I can't really give an opinion on The Thing 4k vs. the more recent Shout Factory blu, because I was upgrading from my much older blu. But yea it was very noticeable to me that the lighting and colors were popping on the UHD in a way they never did before.

As for Collateral 4k, I think it's worth it because I thought the blu ray was kinda smudgy. The UHD solidifies everything in a way that I think really fits with the aesthetic Mann was going for.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
Whenever anyone mentions the Shout Factory RotLD blu-ray, I go to check the current price on Amazon. And then I look at the top of the page, and see the "Last Purchased" message.

And I smile :)

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

I got a feeling that RotLD will get a UHD release sooner or later. It’s too big of a name to be left out of print.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

It’s in print it’s just not shout factory lol. I want that one with those features.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Iron Crowned posted:

I need to revisit Southland Tales. I tried watching it a long time ago when I was a pleb and didn't finish.

I think it's important to watch the Cannes cut. The theatrical cut wastes time with unnecessary exposition, the movie is best served by you just being thrust into a doomed world

Timby posted:

That's a pretty arrogant take. I think that movie is utter garbage and Kelly has nothing fascinating to say as a director (with my opinion being bolstered by his director's cut of Donnie Darko). But to say that means I have an issue with appreciating art? gently caress off with that noise.

It might not be a popular opinion. But I have never been one to court popularity.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I think I only saw Southland Tales once when it first came out like 15 years ago and hated it, which is odd considering Donnie Darko (the theatrical cut) is one of my all-time favorite movies. I should probably give it another chance one of these days.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

The director’s cut of Donnie Darko demonstrates that the director doesn’t understand his own movie. It’s like the film is divinely inspired or something.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
I just got an email from Severin saying that the combined total of my orders does not qualify fro free shipping. So they need to invoice ma an additional 15.50 But I already paid for shipping. I paid 20 loving bucks for shipping when I bought the nun box. Later on I ordered another movie with the "Add to my existing order" option.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
OK they sorted it out.