Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

What if it was Dana’s Thorazine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

CelticPredator posted:

What if it was Dana’s Thorazine

This is the answer in the official novelization. Well, Peter figures as a working artist in New York she probably has some valium somewhere and finds it. If you want you can infer she keeps it around because living in Spook Central might also entail nasty headaches. It also explains why Louis was buying painkillers by the bucket, although being smart he didn't buy name brands. It's just good financial sense.

WaywardWoodwose
May 19, 2008

The woods are lovely, dark, and deep,
But I have promises to keep,
And miles to go before I sleep,
And miles to go before I sleep.

Dawgstar posted:

This is the answer in the official novelization. Well, Peter figures as a working artist in New York she probably has some valium somewhere and finds it. If you want you can infer she keeps it around because living in Spook Central might also entail nasty headaches. It also explains why Louis was buying painkillers by the bucket, although being smart he didn't buy name brands. It's just good financial sense.

I always assumed it being thorazine was a joke, you know , like in a comedy.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Revenge of the Nerds is a comedy from the same era.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

ruddiger posted:

Yes they're the same film when you think about it :shuckyes:

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

ruddiger posted:

Yeah, wow, that one didn't hold up to memories watching it as a 13-year-old. "Gosh, lot more sexual assault than I recalled."

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

I liked the part when Egon slid a trap under a clothesline and sucked up all the girls' panties, thus ensuring the Ghostbusters won the annual panty raid much to Dean Yeager's chagrin

Astrochicken
Aug 13, 2007

So you better go back to your bars, your temples
Your massage parlors!

Ghostbusters really happened.

SolarFire2
Oct 16, 2001

"You're awefully cute, but unfortunately for you, you're made of meat." - Meat And Sarcasm Guy!
Ghostbusters was a documentary, and the events occurred in real time.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Alan_Shore posted:

No no, don't you see? Venkman is Bill Cosby!

Edit: I mean Jesus, when he asks for a kiss it's a joke, he knows she's completely uninterested in him and wasn't expecting one. It was a joke

You seem remarkably committed to arguing that a middle-aged man using grant money to conduct a study on a university setting who is using that study to lie to someone in her 20s in the hopes of getting laid hasn't done anything wrong. Venkman hitting on a 20-year-old would be creepy in itself without that larger context.

It's OK, the standards of humor change over time. The Marx Brothers movies are full of leering comedy and you can see the "women work for corporations only as secretaries and secretaries are supposed to be attractive and chased around their desks by their horny bosses" humor at work across decades of time in American media. Nobody has suggested that Ghostbusters be erased from history. Recognizing that not all of the humor in that film has aged well threatens nobody, except maybe middle-aged men who want to date 20-year-olds who are made uncomfortable by that being seen as creepy.

My point about Cosby was that being funny and charming doesn't make creepy behavior less creepy. Maybe viewers still like Venkman as a character but that doesn't mean that the scene doesn't play differently in 2022, or that Venkman seems more of a creep now than he did in 1984. That scene is written to be funny and to reveal some things about Venkman's character: that's he's sleazy, horny, unethical, and sees the research he's doing mainly as an excuse to amuse himself or chase coeds. While there's no strong character arc across the movie, Venkman seems more heroic by the end of the film than at the start.

I don't really understand why anyone would feel the need to make excuses for Venkman's behavior in the first place. He's not a paragon, he's a con-man in an ensemble comedy film. If he were on Leverage he'd be the grifter. Saying "fictional character did this creepy, not-OK thing in an 80s comedy and while it played OK for us in the 80s, it doesn't play as well now" or even "I don't like this particular Bill Murray sleazebag-made-good character" seems like something admissible in the Ghostbusters thread in Cinema Discusso.

The weird thing is people posting snark as if discussing a fictional film in a thread for discussing a fictional film is somehow a bizarre thing to do or implies an inability to distinguish between fiction and reality. This is why the thread exists, guys. The joke's on you.

Alan_Shore posted:

I liked the part when Egon slid a trap under a clothesline and sucked up all the girls' panties, thus ensuring the Ghostbusters won the annual panty raid much to Dean Yeager's chagrin

I liked the part where Dana kept shocking Peter while teasing him about what a sleaze he was when he was conducting studies at the university.

Astrochicken
Aug 13, 2007

So you better go back to your bars, your temples
Your massage parlors!

What if the ghosts trapped humans in smoky little pods? that'd be hosed up.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Ghost Corps announced the following yesterday that are in the works:

- sequel to Afterlife, currently titled "Firehouse"
- animated film
- animated series (I believe through Netflix)
- new Dark Horse comic.

Edit: Full rundown with even more stuff

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 12:36 on Jun 9, 2022

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I wasn’t sure if the animated film and the animated series were the same thing filtered through bad reporting.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
I'm so tired of all these Ghost Busters.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Payndz posted:

I'm so tired of all these Ghost Busters.

I honestly feel the same. I don't like the first two films any less, but any love I had for 'the franchise' is pretty much dead.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

It ain't for us, all this new stuff is for the kids that watched afterlife identified with the kids and thought ooh more ghosts would be fun.

The franchise is really done for me in terms of excitement. The original is fantastic and everything else is just take it or leave it. I am not hurt by more, but I'm not really excited anymore.

I'd rather we get more fun video games than movies or tv shows. Turn the og cartoon into a series of games it shouldn't be that hard.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Did kids even like that last movie because the only reactions I heard were the blubbering grown rear end man behind me.

If I was a kid I don’t think I would’ve identified with any of them because they’re like little adults with adult hobbies and personalities.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
:gizz:
gently caress the haters. I'm psyched by this news.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

deoju posted:

:gizz:
gently caress the haters. I'm psyched by this news.

:same: :toot:

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003
and honestly, the animated series will let them do so much more with the concept. I love the 80s series and the aesthetic but let's let a new generation take a crack at it.

Von Pluring
Sep 19, 2003

Zelensky's Zealots
Pork Pro

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

- animated film
- new Dark Horse comic.

This is all gonna suck so bad. They should make the animated series about ghost Egon showing up just smiling creepily at inappropriate moments.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
We'll finally get the Ghostbusters anime I always wanted when I was 12

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0xTZA26DlWY

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

I can't imagine not rolling your eyes at "the Spengler family story" but I saw people on twitter saying they cried when they saw young Leia which was one of the more embarrassing moves in a franchise full of embarrassing moves so there's no accounting for taste.

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

Presumably that just means continuing on with McKenna Grace who, to be fair, was probably the most positively received aspect of the film, even from detractors.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

We'll finally get the Ghostbusters anime I always wanted when I was 12

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0xTZA26DlWY
Dominion Ghostbuster Police, drat.

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!
The animated film or series should take place between Ghostbusters 2 and Afterlife and really explain what the hell Egon did to Ray that was so bad, that Ray wouldn't even investigate the Shandor Mining Company's operation in Summerville.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The Merkinman posted:

The animated film or series should take place between Ghostbusters 2 and Afterlife and really explain what the hell Egon did to Ray that was so bad, that Ray wouldn't even investigate the Shandor Mining Company's operation in Summerville.

He said that aliens don't care about 9/11 and Crystal Skull Vodka sucks

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!
The Ghostbusters animated series should be them struggling not to get priced out of Manhatten, dealing with tax policy, complaining about encroaching middle age and Jeanine installing Windows 3.1. Sometimes there would be a ghost.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

I just hope the cartoon looks cool as poo poo. Anything else will be a bonus to me.

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002
i will accept a new manhattan ghostbusters if they hire Gil Faizon and George St. Geegland

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
Lenny Briscoe, Ghostbuster

text me a vag pic
May 18, 2007

The Merkinman posted:

"Blues Brothers 2000 was better."

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
My buddy is launching a distillery and I was helping him do his first bottling run. I noticed two of these adjustable Clippard valves on the bottle rinser. I'd seen them before. Kinda amusing to see a prop component doing it's day job.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Groovelord Neato posted:

I can't imagine not rolling your eyes at "the Spengler family story" but I saw people on twitter saying they cried when they saw young Leia which was one of the more embarrassing moves in a franchise full of embarrassing moves so there's no accounting for taste.

They cried when they saw Leia at the end of Rogue One? Or they cried when they say child Leia in the Obi-Wan show?

Either way LOL.

text me a vag pic
May 18, 2007

deoju posted:

My buddy is launching a distillery and I was helping him do his first bottling run. I noticed two of these adjustable Clippard valves on the bottle rinser. I'd seen them before. Kinda amusing to see a prop component doing it's day job.

what do they do IRL

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
They adjusted the flow to the bottle rinser. It needs the right pressure to blast water in to the bottles for the necessary length of time. They probably due similar stuff in other applications. The original prop makers probably just found a bunch of them at a junk store and thought they looked cool.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

AndyElusive posted:

They cried when they saw Leia at the end of Rogue One? Or they cried when they say child Leia in the Obi-Wan show?

Either way LOL.

The latter. But yeah either one would be funny. There is a part of me that's jealous of all the people that love chowing down on the slop it's certainly a happier life.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

CelticPredator posted:

Did kids even like that last movie because the only reactions I heard were the blubbering grown rear end man behind me.

If I was a kid I don’t think I would’ve identified with any of them because they’re like little adults with adult hobbies and personalities.

Yeah I agree, but I saw a lot more kids rocking Ghostbusters stuff after it came out (GB has been p enduring with kids anyway i suppose) so some kids had to have enjoyed it unless their parents just forced them to wear afterlife/ghostbusters stuff. Usually the kids are the ones point that out asking for it, not the nostalgia ridden parents forcing the merch on them.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Went to my first con since building my pack and there were a lot of kids in Ghostbusters stuff. Friend and I were having a great time asking if we could get pictures with them and they loved being able to fire the Neutrino Wands.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Noob Saibot
Jan 29, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

- animated film
- new Dark Horse comic.

The Dark Horse comic is going to be canon too unlike previous stuff