Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scorched Spitz
Dec 12, 2011
Should I ask why Le Guin's a three?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

Hiro Protagonist posted:

Who's a 1? I honestly would've put LeGuin there, at least as older authors go.

Probably someone incredibly bland like Brandon Sanderson. But I don't know enough about them to comfortably say that.

Edit:

Blandon Sanderson?

Brandon Blanderson?

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020
https://schicksalgemeinschaft.wordpress.com/2022/06/11/children-of-time-adrian-tchaikovsky-2015/

Blogger I normally like is rather miffed by Children of Time.

Copernic
Sep 16, 2006

...A Champion, who by mettle of his glowing personal charm alone, saved the universe...

Hiro Protagonist posted:

Who's a 1? I honestly would've put LeGuin there, at least as older authors go.

EarthSea [Books 1-3] is a patriarchy with gender-coded magic. Its not clear a fully nonproblematic author is possible or even desirable.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I'm not sure the connotation here, I consider myself to be extremely left of center, it just stood out to me because it's anything but politics agnostic.

There's no such thing. That is the point.
A lot of liberals think of themselves as being beyond politics, or occupying some state of balance that allow them to step outside of ideology, which is *sniff* of course *snort* pure ideology.

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:
Smashing your way into our hearts one skylight at a time

Copernic posted:

EarthSea [Books 1-3] is a patriarchy with gender-coded magic. Its not clear a fully nonproblematic author is possible or even desirable.

But isn’t this pointed out within the books themselves?

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

This seems..nitpicky? Did Tchaikovsky ever claim this was hard SF? Because I don't think he ever did, and that kind of seems where most of the issue comes from.

If it was advertised as such I could see the problem, as I had the same issue with Andy Weir's Project Hail Mary which was I heard was hard SF but there was so much hand wavey bullshit that really turned me off that otherwise might have not if I had different expectations.

Copernic
Sep 16, 2006

...A Champion, who by mettle of his glowing personal charm alone, saved the universe...

team overhead smash posted:

But isn’t this pointed out within the books themselves?

“The earthsea books as feminist literature are a total, complete bust. From my own archetypes and from my own cultural upbringing I couldn’t go down deep and come up with a woman wizard. Maybe I’ll learn to eventually but when I wrote those I couldn’t do it. I wish I could have.”

You can put them as a 2 if you like, or even a 1. Everyone can and should have their own scale.

rollick
Mar 20, 2009

Copernic posted:

we should use the Piers-Lovecraft Scale, which evaluates books on a 1-10 ladder of being problematic:

---------
3 [Ursula LeGuin]
5 [Tolkien]
10 [Piers Anthony]
---------

Assuming that's a logarithmic scale

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

This is really bad but one thing in particular stood out.

quote:

Also: the virus is woke. “There is a place in her mind where the nanovirus lurks and it tells her that all her species are kin, are like her in a way that other creatures are not, and yet the weight of society crushes its voice.”

The idea is that the virus creates a feeling of kinship in asocial animals because that's more adaptive, but it's interesting that that's the first place his mind went.

Bad critique.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

The scale kind of depends on how much you want to separate the author from the work.

Marion Zimmer Bradley's books are, in a death of the author sort of way, much less problematic than Piers Anthony's, but I've not head of Anthony doing anything worse than write, whereas Zimmer Bradley is :shepicide:

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Sometimes things get stuck in your head, today's was:

Gene Wolfe's 'Sword of the Lickitung'.

That is all.

Copernic
Sep 16, 2006

Qwertycoatl posted:

The scale kind of depends on how much you want to separate the author from the work.

Marion Zimmer Bradley's books are, in a death of the author sort of way, much less problematic than Piers Anthony's, but I've not head of Anthony doing anything worse than write, whereas Zimmer Bradley is :shepicide:

does anyone have microsoft excel, help

Only registered members can see post attachments!

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

Copernic posted:

we should use the Piers-Lovecraft Scale, which evaluates books on a 1-10 ladder of being problematic:

---------
3 [Ursula LeGuin]
5 [Tolkien]
10 [Piers Anthony]
---------

Please plot everyone from this list of problematic authors, with particular attention to Publius Cornelius Tacitus

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I think I can solve this in Matlab.

Copernic
Sep 16, 2006

Whatever you think of this site the poison apple image is really, really great.

branedotorg
Jun 19, 2009

General Battuta posted:

Please plot everyone from this list of problematic authors, with particular attention to Publius Cornelius Tacitus
That is something else. I can't process it.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

A Proper Uppercut posted:

This seems..nitpicky? Did Tchaikovsky ever claim this was hard SF? Because I don't think he ever did, and that kind of seems where most of the issue comes from.

If it was advertised as such I could see the problem, as I had the same issue with Andy Weir's Project Hail Mary which was I heard was hard SF but there was so much hand wavey bullshit that really turned me off that otherwise might have not if I had different expectations.

It seems like that reviewer even admits that all the problems he's pointing out, are also present in _Dune_, but to a worse degree.

If your argument relies on "this book is so bad it's slightly better than Dune" you haven't actually written a negative review.

Armauk
Jun 23, 2021

Cry more.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Armauk posted:

Cry more.

I think it's cool they're promoting good charities to donate to.

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020

A Proper Uppercut posted:

Also hated Fiasco by Stanislaw Lem because the science was fake. Some people just have the wrong attitude towards realism.

Copernic
Sep 16, 2006

StrixNebulosa posted:

I think it's cool they're promoting good charities to donate to.

Reading problematic books and authors for what's good in them, with prior recognition of what's bad in them, and then making a positive contribution for change seems like a mature and reasonable way of handling these issues.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
There’s a lot to unpack in there but I’ll admit the idea of buying indulgences to offset the harm done by Tacitus some two thousand years ago feels vain in both senses of the word.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

zoux posted:

This is really bad but one thing in particular stood out.

The idea is that the virus creates a feeling of kinship in asocial animals because that's more adaptive, but it's interesting that that's the first place his mind went.

Bad critique.

Was going to post this exact thing. This blogger seems like a moron, and using woke as a pejorative is just one of many red flags.

Copernic
Sep 16, 2006

withak posted:

I think I can solve this in Matlab.

can you also calculate the suggested donation as a function of (X, Y). As a baseline figure I suggest $.25 to EMILY'S List every time Nynaeve tugs her braid.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

General Battuta posted:

There’s a lot to unpack in there but I’ll admit the idea of buying indulgences to offset the harm done by Tacitus some two thousand years ago feels vain in both senses of the word.

Lmao Tacitus, the lone antisemetic Roman. Say, what ever happened to the Second Temple anyway

That page is like the platonic ideal of YA book twitter.

zoux fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Jun 15, 2022

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

General Battuta posted:

going to repair the harm done by tacitus' society by donating to modern organizations for an independent britain

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

fritz posted:

Sometimes things get stuck in your head, today's was:

Gene Wolfe's 'Sword of the Lickitung'.

That is all.

goddamn it I'm reading that book right now and I will not be able to pick it up without thinking of this, I hate you forever

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Cancelling Herodotus for referring to dog sized ants as "gold-digging"

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
Socrates groomed the youth smh

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:
Smashing your way into our hearts one skylight at a time

Copernic posted:

“The earthsea books as feminist literature are a total, complete bust. From my own archetypes and from my own cultural upbringing I couldn’t go down deep and come up with a woman wizard. Maybe I’ll learn to eventually but when I wrote those I couldn’t do it. I wish I could have.”

You can put them as a 2 if you like, or even a 1. Everyone can and should have their own scale.

I think LeGuin may be talking about just the earlier books. Pretty sure in the later ones they talk about a patriarchal conspiracy to only promote men’s magic so I guess it depends on if you view the earlier books in isolation or the series as a whole.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Copernic posted:

---------
3 [Ursula LeGuin]
5 [Tolkien]
10 [Piers Anthony]
---------

Why is Tolkien at a 5?

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Everyone posted:

Why is Tolkien at a 5?

Orcs. Jewish-coded dwarves. Etc.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
For some reason I always thought Red Rising was a young adult series. I started it and kept being like, "Hmm, this sort of language usually isn't used in a young adult novel", "this sort of content usually isn't..". Then I got to the scene Where for the passage he has to fight another student. And not just any student-- a friendly student he had already met earlier that seemed coded to become a "best friend" type character. I figured he would figure out a way to cheat the system so they both live. Instead he just mercs the kid.

I have to admit I thought the narrative seemed pretty cliche up until that point. I hope it can keep the brutal atmosphere going.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
i think if you're students being forced to kill eachother it's automatically young adult

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Copernic posted:

---------
3 [Ursula LeGuin]
5 [Tolkien]
10 [Piers Anthony]
---------

So lovecraft is one since I assume the scale goes from piers Anthony to Lovecraft?
Otherwise it is a kinda counterintuitive naming scheme.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

Lovecraft is a 1 by apocryphal nuclear Gandhi aggression underflow wraparound logic.

Thranguy
Apr 21, 2010

Deceitful and black-hearted, perhaps we are. But we would never go against the Code. Well, perhaps for good reasons. But mostly never.
It's a scale from problematically unhorny to problematically horny.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Thranguy posted:

It's a scale from problematically unhorny to problematically horny.

From Rymdkulan to Atorox :mmmhmm:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

What I'm hearing is that it is a multidimensional graph with horny/unhorny and problematic/non-problematic as two of the axes.