Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
Dark Forces film adaptation but shot like a horror movie from the stormtroopers perspective with Kyle Katarn as the unstoppable monster picking them off one by one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Wolfsheim posted:

Dark Forces film adaptation but shot like a horror movie from the stormtroopers perspective with Kyle Katarn as the unstoppable monster picking them off one by one

Instead of the Wilhelm scream they have to have the "YOU'RE NOT AUTHORIZED TO BE HE-AUUGH!!" guy

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I was hoping we’d get either Ezra or Kyle in the ship. Once I saw the x-wing I was like goddammit - not Luke.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Wrote up episode 5 of Obi-wan, sounds like I mostly agree with the consensus on this one.

quote:

All Vader has is power. All Vader needs is power. What he took away from the duel with Obi-wan was that he needed to continue to have overwhelming force even when disarmed. Nothing can get in the way of using power to make the world function in an ordered and fair manner. The Inquisitors, in all their backstabbing glory, are ultimately insignificant compared to the power of the force. This is the first episode of Obi-wan that has felt like it understands Vader as a character at all.

Also Robot Style I don't mention it but you're totally correct about the fit of the costumes, such a weird thing to not attend to. Christensen looks like he needs to borrow an iron.

Gin_Rummy
Aug 4, 2007

Robot Style posted:

The real issue for me is just how droopy everything is.

Agreed... dude needs a facelift.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

FunkyAl posted:

In my imagination, Obi Wan Kenobi was doing some sort of "Chinatown" detective thing involving the Hutts screwing farmers out of their moisture. Eventually he discovers the Hutts have been doing this out of necessity, because the Republic has been demanding tribute for thousands of years. Jabba the Hutt shows Obi Wan a tapestry of Tattooine when it was lush and green, which makes sense given that he is some kind of frog who would have come from a bog. He walks away having solved nothing.

I'm not going to watch the new show, does anyone else have a version of events they'd like better?

This tweet:

https://twitter.com/GrahamB47/status/1522049208051650560?t=4z9YkdVlgLfMF8V-OBtzMA&s=19

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

drat empire still stupid.
Also my master plan of I'll try and stab him when he's not looking is brilliant

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
I found the scene where the Stormtroopers storm the barracks basically incomprehensible. The cutting is way too fast, and you have no sense of the layout of the bunker and the separation between the people who are fighting versus the people who are seemingly safe for the moment. Episode had a few decent ideas, but it’s once again undercut by the editing and direction at every turn.

Was also somewhat unclear how Third Sister freed Obi Wan without the Stormtroopers catching wise that something wasn’t right. She sent him back inside and had him un-handcuffed under what pretense? Maybe we could show her do something clever?

General Dog fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Jun 16, 2022

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Stormtroopers are hammering lead filled water jugs in all the missing scenes

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker
Dark Forces was the first PC game I ever bought (well, was given) and I loved it. The Dark Troopers were legit scary to me. At the time it seemed incredibly immersive and I somehow felt that I, as Kyle Katarn, was a total badass. I'm sure the story is thin as hell now but I followed it as a kid and enjoyed it.

Here's a video of a youtuber playing through it for old times sake, who definitely has some annoying bits but takes the game seriously enough for it to be fun to watch:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rzF5rHuLE38

I still remember the "oh poo poo" moment of realizing that you will in fact have to punch the monster thing to death (kell dragon, I guess?).

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

josh04 posted:

Wrote up episode 5 of Obi-wan, sounds like I mostly agree with the consensus on this one.

Nice writeup! I was about to correct your spelling of "just deserts" as needing an extra S, but it turns out the expression originally uses desert!

FWIW, my takeaway from the parallel duels was that, similar to your observation about power, Anakin learned how not to get jumped at his most confident moment, but he happens to be super evil now so all his enemies are poo poo out of luck that he was trained by the best just before his turn. Before he was but the learner, now he is the master.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Upsidads posted:

drat empire still stupid.
Also my master plan of I'll try and stab him when he's not looking is brilliant

I don't understand not just like, igniting the lightsaber while it was pointed at him. They could have still had him easily sidestep it since it's Vader and he's already aware of who she is/etc.

Should have had him try to bring down the second ship but he has to stop because of her attempting to do that. It would make her even more pissed at getting clowned on by Obi-Wan lol

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Space Fish posted:

I was about to correct your spelling of "just deserts" as needing an extra S, but it turns out the expression originally uses desert!

The Star Wars Spoiler Thread: Oops, Just Deserts

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Are thermal detonators just very expensive/hard to come by in Star Wars? It was like a shocking surprise when it showed up. I get that in Return of the Jedi but this was like an active war zone what were they expecting?

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Neo Rasa posted:

Are thermal detonators just very expensive/hard to come by in Star Wars? It was like a shocking surprise when it showed up. I get that in Return of the Jedi but this was like an active war zone what were they expecting?

Stormtroopers carry a smaller thermal detonator manufactured by BlasTech with them, whereas the spheres that cause panic attacks are a different class entirely, made by Merr-Sonn Munitions, whose blast range varies from 20 meters to 10x that, and also come with fun features like deadman switch settings

Uatu The Lurker
Sep 14, 2003

I can say no more!
Already I have over stayed my time in this ephemeral sphere!
Instead of linking the bait I already clicked, here are some screenshots; Eddie Redmayne auditioning for the role of Kylo Ren

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:
the one thing i think all this new stuff with vader makes clear, and this goes back to rogue one, is how much physicality and attitude prowse brought to the role. i think most people, including myself, never really saw the sense of power and force he gave vader. in rogue one, he does this weird hip sashay and everything in obi-wan just feels like he moves too quickly and too adroitly. it feels like vader never uses his saber in two hands now, which really helped illustrate that idea of being this unstoppable being. he uses his saber in one hand in ESB because he's toying with luke and doesn't need to use two hands, but even then he mostly does. i imagine some of it comes down to lighting and blocking and so on, but there's just all these little things like prowse did that are just being missed.

blueblueblue
Mar 18, 2009

Horizon Burning posted:

the one thing i think all this new stuff with vader makes clear, and this goes back to rogue one, is how much physicality and attitude prowse brought to the role. i think most people, including myself, never really saw the sense of power and force he gave vader.

I got the same sense; OT Darth Vader moves like a guy wearing 100 pounds of armor and has a huge sense of the strength underneath. He's taller than everyone and exudes intimidation just by being there.

This version of Darth Vader feels short and moves too easily. I have a feeling the OT Darth Vader wouldn't waste time dodging lightsaber strikes to look cool, he would simply kill you quickly and brutally and move on.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

General Dog posted:

I found the scene where the Stormtroopers storm the barracks basically incomprehensible. The cutting is way too fast, and you have no sense of the layout of the bunker and the separation between the people who are fighting versus the people who are seemingly safe for the moment. Episode had a few decent ideas, but it’s once again undercut by the editing and direction at every turn.

Was also somewhat unclear how Third Sister freed Obi Wan without the Stormtroopers catching wise that something wasn’t right. She sent him back inside and had him un-handcuffed under what pretense? Maybe we could show her do something clever?
Sending him back was a bit weird to begin with.

Glottis posted:

Dark Forces was the first PC game I ever bought (well, was given) and I loved it. The Dark Troopers were legit scary to me. At the time it seemed incredibly immersive and I somehow felt that I, as Kyle Katarn, was a total badass. I'm sure the story is thin as hell now but I followed it as a kid and enjoyed it.

Here's a video of a youtuber playing through it for old times sake, who definitely has some annoying bits but takes the game seriously enough for it to be fun to watch:

I still remember the "oh poo poo" moment of realizing that you will in fact have to punch the monster thing to death (kell dragon, I guess?).

That moment is so cool. Honestly, I found the first level of Dark Forces quite scary when I played it. All those charred corpses everywhere as you search for clues of what did it. It's a good game.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Darth TNT posted:

Sending him back was a bit weird to begin with.

That whole section felt like it was from an earlier version of the script and then overlooked when they changed something earlier.

Ben and Reva have their discussion (fair enough, they weren't talking loudly), then she announces that Vader is on his way down in person. Makes sense so far.

Then she has him taken back into the tunnel and closes the door (...why?), where we see Ben kill the two stormtroopers, and then he somehow runs back into the hanger (which had the door controls shot out?), and they have enough time to A) get everyone off the first transport and board a hidden shuttle and B) rig the first transport ship as a decoy. The way they talked at the start of the episode made it sound like the Path only had the one transport ship, and they delayed it to get Ben and Leia to the planet. I know the guy comments about the hyperdrive acting up, but if they weren't using the second ship because of that, then why not use the second ship as the decoy?

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Do you ever think Disney regrets buying Star Wars?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Pollyanna posted:

Nah because whatever they make from the box office is secondary to the merchandise and theme park money, and Star Wars is gonna keep generating that for decades to come.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Glottis posted:

It's so weird. I know I finished this game multiple times and for some reason I just can't remember ever facing Boba Fett. :psyduck: Maybe kid me thought he was a phase 2 dark trooper or something.
Still this was an amusing watch, it gets so many starwars moments right. :allears: I hated those Trandoshans so much....and that sewer level! :argh:

Randalor posted:

That whole section felt like it was from an earlier version of the script and then overlooked when they changed something earlier.

Ben and Reva have their discussion (fair enough, they weren't talking loudly), then she announces that Vader is on his way down in person. Makes sense so far.

Then she has him taken back into the tunnel and closes the door (...why?), where we see Ben kill the two stormtroopers, and then he somehow runs back into the hanger (which had the door controls shot out?), and they have enough time to A) get everyone off the first transport and board a hidden shuttle and B) rig the first transport ship as a decoy. The way they talked at the start of the episode made it sound like the Path only had the one transport ship, and they delayed it to get Ben and Leia to the planet. I know the guy comments about the hyperdrive acting up, but if they weren't using the second ship because of that, then why not use the second ship as the decoy?
I didn't understand that one at all either. Right, we've captured Kenobi a dangerous Jedi master. We'll just keep him where we found him, right next to the rebels who haven't surrendered yet and out of sight of our huge army of storm troopers.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Space Fish posted:

Nice writeup! I was about to correct your spelling of "just deserts" as needing an extra S, but it turns out the expression originally uses desert!

FWIW, my takeaway from the parallel duels was that, similar to your observation about power, Anakin learned how not to get jumped at his most confident moment, but he happens to be super evil now so all his enemies are poo poo out of luck that he was trained by the best just before his turn. Before he was but the learner, now he is the master.

My takeaway was that while Vader may have superficially learned a lesson from his duel in the flashback (learn how to fight without a saber), he hasn't learned the larger lesson (be on the lookout for someone taking away your weapon). Vader succeeds against Reva at the former (fighting without his lightsaber), but Obi-Wan still wins against him because of the latter (he took away Vader's "weapon", Reva). The point could have been driven home a little bit better, say by Reva's attack being the thing that distracts him from the transport. But given that she had Obi-Wan dead to rights and then sent him back in to the building to escape, I think it still works plenty well.

Pollyanna posted:

Not at all. The movies alone have more than made the money back, which isn't even getting into the shows and merchandising. Or, my god, the theme parks. It's made them an insane amount of money. Which is all they really care about. They're a business. What is there to regret?

Horizon Burning posted:

the one thing i think all this new stuff with vader makes clear, and this goes back to rogue one, is how much physicality and attitude prowse brought to the role. i think most people, including myself, never really saw the sense of power and force he gave vader. in rogue one, he does this weird hip sashay and everything in obi-wan just feels like he moves too quickly and too adroitly. it feels like vader never uses his saber in two hands now, which really helped illustrate that idea of being this unstoppable being. he uses his saber in one hand in ESB because he's toying with luke and doesn't need to use two hands, but even then he mostly does. i imagine some of it comes down to lighting and blocking and so on, but there's just all these little things like prowse did that are just being missed.

This is definitely true. Prowse brought something to Vader that I don't think anyone can quite put their finger on, because no one has been able to reproduce it yet. Current Vader gets angry at you. Prowse Vader didn't get angry at you, because he didn't give a poo poo about you. You were, at best, an obstacle in his path to be brushed aside. It's like that Jon Hamm Mad Man "I don't even know who you are " meme, only if he'd still murder you because you're in his way.

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker
now I want Jon Hamm to play a Star Wars villain

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Prowse really did have some kind of near-intangible heaviness of physicality that nobody else has since replicated.

Wolfsheim posted:

Were so close to Kyle Katarn singlehandedly genociding hundreds of stormtroopers being canon :pray:

Kyle Katarn would be an excellent rival to Mando because he's not actually a bad guy but has a different agenda, and he's competent enough to actually be a threat.

I don't know how they would do his Jedi side. Maybe they wouldn't and just make him a walking armory that has a weapon for every possible Storm Trooper Situation.

Megaman's Jockstrap fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Jun 16, 2022

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Horizon Burning posted:

I mean, he's toying with Cere and Cal in Fallen Order, and Kanan and Ezra in Rebels by only using one hand, and he uses a two-handed style against Ahsoka

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:

Vinylshadow posted:

I mean, he's toying with Cere and Cal in Fallen Order, and Kanan and Ezra in Rebels by only using one hand, and he uses a two-handed style against Ahsoka

okay, but what about the denny's placemat?

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

If we're playing script surgeon and trying to reassemble a movie-Obi-wan instead of a teevee-Obi-wan, Obi-wan's sudden escape from Reva is probably because the entire door-closed ship-can't-leave subplot can be trimmed entirely. Have Obi-wan surrender at the Inquisitor base to save Leia, have him mind-meld with Reva there, and then it makes sense to send him away with stormtroopers because they're at the imperial base and they can be putting him in a cell.

Then you can cut the entire firefight and just have Obi-wan and Leia escape from the Inquisitor base, be tailed to a rebel base, then have Vader insist on facing Obi-wan personally which delays the Imperial response long enough for the rebels to come up with the two-ships ploy and escape just in time.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
I remember when the ST was announced I had high hopes that my pal Kyle Katarn would be on it

edit: thinking about it, it could be him in Poe's place (and with Oscar Isaac too)

Elias_Maluco fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Jun 16, 2022

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Uatu The Lurker posted:

Instead of linking the bait I already clicked, here are some screenshots; Eddie Redmayne auditioning for the role of Kylo Ren

this explains his entire career

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Glottis posted:

now I want Jon Hamm to play a Star Wars villain

Still waiting on him to bring the Comedy Jon Hamm energy as Mister Sinister

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

The REAL Goobusters posted:

this explains his entire career

I'm one of those weirdos who really likes Jupiter Ascending but he came really close to ruining it with his nonsense.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
Eddie Redmayne's completely baffling performance is one of the best parts of Jupiter Ascending, he went almost full Habsburg

Also it's a pretty bad sign that I'm watching the recap at the beginning of the newest Obi Wan ep and struggling to remember if I actually saw the scenes I'm literally looking at right now

Gin_Rummy
Aug 4, 2007
General reply to all of the "this Vader moves wrong" chat.

Oh my god, yes. I started watching the show last night and have made it three episodes deep. Every time Vader is on screen his physical presence just seems off... Hayden Christensen allegedly had a "Darth Vader movement" coordinator for this, which seems like a huge waste of money based on the results.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
This Darth Vader has no swag

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Gotta agree, it feels like I'm watching a cosplayer try to look intimidating. It's not like it's just Hayden, because they got some big beefy boys:

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

I think the problem is just the modern Star Wars way of doing things. Back when David Prowse and Bob Anderson were performing the character, they were performing a character. Like a lot of modern Star Wars stuff, the current crew isn't really looking at it from that internal perspective. They're not thinking "How does a hosed up frankenstein robot man move", they're thinking "How does popular mascot character Darth Vader™ move".

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
His movement is iconic!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

Darth TNT posted:

It's so weird. I know I finished this game multiple times and for some reason I just can't remember ever facing Boba Fett. :psyduck: Maybe kid me thought he was a phase 2 dark trooper or something.
Still this was an amusing watch, it gets so many starwars moments right. :allears: I hated those Trandoshans so much....and that sewer level! :argh:

I didn't understand that one at all either. Right, we've captured Kenobi a dangerous Jedi master. We'll just keep him where we found him, right next to the rebels who haven't surrendered yet and out of sight of our huge army of storm troopers.

It's called great writing