Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
For mame style, you’re going to want to keep the plants potted in really small containers—and ideally in a sand/soil tray

then every few weeks/months you go in and clip the roots growing into the tray

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Old Ganon
Jan 2, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I imagine so much effort won't have to go into a dwarf Meyer lemon tree?

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Bonsai is a regular tree that's been "trained" to have a trunk:height ratio of about 1:6, with the roots fitting into a shallow flat pot, in order to resemble a mature tree in nature. It's all about illusion. Plant a bonsai tree in the ground and it'll grow full size.

It is possible to train a meyer lemon into a bonsai but it isn't the best species for it as A) the leaves are pretty big and dont easily reduce and B) the fruit is huge and looks goofy on a bonsai

calamondin is a better choice as the fruit is smaller as well as the leaves. this is like the platonic ideal but probably took 20-30 years under a master's care:

this one is more attainable but still took 7-9 years to train, per the owner:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Make a limequat bonsai.

This one has a bit of a zinc deficiency I think.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

hi, two things

1) when should I put my zz plant on the patio? It's SW facing, and I thought someone said starting in August, but that was quite a while ago so I don't remember. I just want it to be able to grow for a while, as it is usually indoors in my bedroom.

2) can anyone tell me what this is?

thanks!

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Queen Victorian
Feb 21, 2018

Stringent posted:

mind sharing? mine are doing terribly this year and i think it's because i didn't prune them enough.

BIG-DICK-BUTT-gently caress posted:

yes please! share Moms wisdom w us :)

The gist of it was to prune a lot more than you think you should. Like a lot.

This is the rose bush as of late April:

I'd neglected it for much of last summer, so it sent up these long-rear end shoots (or canes as my mom called them) and then pulled itself over. It was a very small plant when I bought it, like 10" or so.

So I sent some pics and asked my mom how to fix it, and she said to cut off the big green canes (which may or may not have been below a graft that may or may not exist - we never quite figured this one out since both parts produce the same roses), and also anything that was dead (obviously - and there was a good amount of that), and otherwise any growth that was smaller around than a pencil.

So going by those rules I basically cut the plant down to nubs. I also righted it and put down some new garden soil around it and later put a layer of mulch down.

Here's a pic from late May a couple weeks after I'd pruned it (behind the iris):

It's still very small here, but sprouting a lot of nice-looking foliage.

And here it is a couple of days ago:

It seems to be quite happy. This spot is only sunny half the time, and my mom did recommend moving it to the sunniest spot possible, but we've not gotten around to digging out the new, sunnier flowerbed that we've been planning. Some bug has been munching on it so I need to apply some insecticidal soap, and the rose petals start looking kinda mottled when they get old, but overall it's way less sickly than it was last year.

Also gotta ask the neighbor what she does because drat:

I think it's really just pruning a couple times a year. While out walking in the neighborhood I see roses everywhere but most seemed to be not properly maintained - they are mostly just super duper leggy and sparse, probably due to lack of regular pruning.

That Old Ganon
Jan 2, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

BIG-DICK-BUTT-gently caress posted:

It is possible to train a meyer lemon into a bonsai but it isn't the best species for it as A) the leaves are pretty big and dont easily reduce and B) the fruit is huge and looks goofy on a bonsai
Thank you very much for this primer. I only just got into plants in general and I think bonsai is far more effort than I'm willing to put in right now.

I think I'm going to try to find patio/dwarf versions instead. I just need something that won't get over four feet in a pot and I'm good.

ohhyeah
Mar 24, 2016

actionjackson posted:

2) can anyone tell me what this is?

thanks!

That’s an Allium. It’s a fall planted bulb that’s related to onions and garlic. It’s nice as a dried flower too.

I don’t know about zz plants specifically, but you might need to give more information about the patio. Is it full sun? Partial sun? What zone do you live in?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

That Old Ganon posted:

Thank you very much for this primer. I only just got into plants in general and I think bonsai is far more effort than I'm willing to put in right now.

I think I'm going to try to find patio/dwarf versions instead. I just need something that won't get over four feet in a pot and I'm good.

It’s really not. You prune the tree once or twice per season. You repot every two to ten years depending on the size and maturity of plant, and the type of pot.

You’ll be doing that with any potted citrus tree. Even a dwarf cultivar in a non-bonsai arrangement will need regular watering and some fertilizing and seasonal pruning and the occasional repot every couple of years.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

actionjackson posted:

hi, two things

1) when should I put my zz plant on the patio? It's SW facing, and I thought someone said starting in August, but that was quite a while ago so I don't remember. I just want it to be able to grow for a while, as it is usually indoors in my bedroom.

Are you in North America? I’ve had mine outside in some shade since like early May (once nights got over 50 degrees Fahrenheit) Gonna probably toss it under some shade cloth once I order it and put it up in the next week or so.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

thanks, it's a SW facing patio, full sun, I'm in minnesota. however there is a part of the patio that is always shaded

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

actionjackson posted:

thanks, it's a SW facing patio, full sun, I'm in minnesota. however there is a part of the patio that is always shaded

acclimate it over a week or two, don’t cook it in full sun if it’s over like 85-90 degrees out

you can probably keep it in shade/part shade all summer and it will still get way more light than it'd get in your room

make sure to water it much more frequently when its outside too, 1-2x per week, maybe more if its a really hot day out

They're very easy plants to read, don't let it get too cold or too wet

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

OK thank you

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

That Old Ganon posted:

Ya as mentioned by OK Comboomer it’s not too much work, I wouldn’t let it discourage you. Think of it as growing trees in pots, not so much “bonsai”. Once you’re comfortable watering, fertilizing, managing pests, you can do some light pruning and just progress at your own rate this way.

Growing a Meyer lemon in a pot would be a great start, also consider a ficus and/or a portulacaria afra. Both of these are very easy to grow and not finicky. Willow leaf ficus look really cool and are inexpensive but you may have to order it. Something like this is $35 from Wigerts bonsai in Florida

Portulacaria are my favorite, I have a bunch of them. ... I’ll post some of mine but here’s an example

You can find them at garden centers, with the succulents. No need to order or spend more than $30, unless you want a really big one

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Queen Victorian posted:

The gist of it was to prune a lot more than you think you should. Like a lot.

This is the rose bush as of late April:

I'd neglected it for much of last summer, so it sent up these long-rear end shoots (or canes as my mom called them) and then pulled itself over. It was a very small plant when I bought it, like 10" or so.

So I sent some pics and asked my mom how to fix it, and she said to cut off the big green canes (which may or may not have been below a graft that may or may not exist - we never quite figured this one out since both parts produce the same roses), and also anything that was dead (obviously - and there was a good amount of that), and otherwise any growth that was smaller around than a pencil.

So going by those rules I basically cut the plant down to nubs. I also righted it and put down some new garden soil around it and later put a layer of mulch down.

Here's a pic from late May a couple weeks after I'd pruned it (behind the iris):

It's still very small here, but sprouting a lot of nice-looking foliage.

And here it is a couple of days ago:

It seems to be quite happy. This spot is only sunny half the time, and my mom did recommend moving it to the sunniest spot possible, but we've not gotten around to digging out the new, sunnier flowerbed that we've been planning. Some bug has been munching on it so I need to apply some insecticidal soap, and the rose petals start looking kinda mottled when they get old, but overall it's way less sickly than it was last year.

Also gotta ask the neighbor what she does because drat:

I think it's really just pruning a couple times a year. While out walking in the neighborhood I see roses everywhere but most seemed to be not properly maintained - they are mostly just super duper leggy and sparse, probably due to lack of regular pruning.

Thank you for the effort post! How frequently would you prune? I pruned in the spring after the initial growth and I’m just now getting over my first blooms .. I deadheaded the old blooms, would you prune as well?

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Do people ever grow epiphytic orchids on an actual tree branch as an indoor plant? Seems like it would be really cool aesthetically but I guess annoying to water? Does the branch have to be alive for some reason?

ETA: google says absolutely doable, hm maybe I have a new plant experiment on the way.

Organza Quiz fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Jun 14, 2022

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Totally doable and arguably better than a pot. I have a nice yew root Im saving for something like that, but it’s pretty straightforward: lots of sphagnum moss and some wire.

Here’s a kokedama I did w a phaelenopsis, using a wiffle ball as the core :

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
Anyone got any good recommendations for a ground cover to put between pavers. Zone 9b, gulf south so hot and humid. The spot in question will be getting pretty much full sun. I'm finding a hard time locating something that can tolerate the heat and humidity.

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Sounds like some kind of sedum ought to do the trick

Once established they barely require any water

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
Yeah I've been trying to get some dwarf mondo going, but I'm already getting browning at the tips from the patches getting the most sun. It's not dying off just yet, but it's sorta just hanging on.
I'm dumb, saw mondo in picture and jumped to conclusions. I'll look for some sedum and try a patch

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

couldcareless posted:

Yeah I've been trying to get some dwarf mondo going, but I'm already getting browning at the tips from the patches getting the most sun. It's not dying off just yet, but it's sorta just hanging on.
I'm dumb, saw mondo in picture and jumped to conclusions. I'll look for some sedum and try a patch

Yeah sorry not the best picture but the sedum is at left. “Ground cover sedum in between pavers” google search will have more pictures but they’re all on Pinterest which is hard to hotlink.

Also you may have to wait until it’s not nuclear hot to get them or other plants established, so maybe look for some stuff at the end of season Labor Day sales.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
Yeah, I'm quickly learning that planting anything right now is a fools errand. Already established is having a ball (drat maypop needs a trim every other day) but anything else just withers. Thanks for the advice!

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

couldcareless posted:

Yeah, I'm quickly learning that planting anything right now is a fools errand. Already established is having a ball (drat maypop needs a trim every other day) but anything else just withers. Thanks for the advice!

Sedum is super hardy and extremely easy to propagate, in general. (There are some ornamental varieties people have bred to be weird colors that don't do well for me at all, but those aside.)

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

couldcareless posted:

You could buy one whenever you'd like and just keep it in pots until you plant it as well. It won't care and will grow happily all summer in a protected spot. You may even be able to divide it this way. You'd be able to put it in a few spots quicker too.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

I'm going to transplant my bamboo palm into my planter. it's currently inside the plastic thing which is inside the planter. the planter has a drainage hole at the bottom, and then I have one of those cork pads to put underneath so water doesn't get on the floor.

One place that sells these says you should never remove it from the plastic planter, why is that?

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

actionjackson posted:

One place that sells these says you should never remove it from the plastic planter, why is that?

Because they're jerkoffs.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
yeah because gently caress you, that’s why

same reason JustAddIce Orchids hasn’t ever changed their branding or pack-in instructions in 30 years

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
Yeah, definitely cannot remove a plant from a piece of plastic. How ever did they survive before the invention of plastic.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

seems like a weird thing to be so passionate about!

am i paranoid to think that I should soak my plant in the tub, this planter is heavy as hell and I somehow feel it's too heavy for my sink

actionjackson fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Jun 16, 2022

down1nit
Jan 10, 2004

outlive your enemies
Hi. I just figured out that plants own super hard and I have so many questions... you know the stage! Here's just 2 for now:

1. Is "Wild Cabbage" that I find in seed stores TRULY the species type of brassica oleracea? Does it hybridize with kale? Any other cultivar?

2. I've lived in California for forever, and before I became obsessed with plants, I had always "noticed" the oaks that we have. I like to think every Californian has stopped to just look at a coast live oak for a bit, calmed by it's maze of branches and stems. Anyway... Question: Why the gently caress do oaks look like that? Are they just constantly making "SPLIT SECOND" decisions as to which loving way to grow a single loving branch and that's why they look so awful and complicated and oak-like? (To be sure, by awful, I of course mean gorgeous)

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
First time in the thread, but I've been growing carnivorous plants for years but finally starting to get more serious, just move them into a tent to help keep humidity higher.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
Yessssss more carnivorous people.

I snipped the flowers off big hoss the other day. Apparently letting them flower can slow them down, and I did notice the traps perked back up since.

The Red Dragons seem to be struggling, might be a lost cause, but I can just move the big guys around to give them more space in the terrarium, I guess. That seems to be the one cultivar that thrives in this thing, so I should just stick with it.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

BaronVonVaderham posted:

Yessssss more carnivorous people.

I snipped the flowers off big hoss the other day. Apparently letting them flower can slow them down, and I did notice the traps perked back up since.

The Red Dragons seem to be struggling, might be a lost cause, but I can just move the big guys around to give them more space in the terrarium, I guess. That seems to be the one cultivar that thrives in this thing, so I should just stick with it.

Yup, I've been doing this for a couple years: Flowers will slow down growth, so snip them, it also extends the growth time between winterization periods.

Couple of questions: How often are you watering, and are you 'butt feeding' (i.e. only adding water from the bottom in the tray)

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?

That Old Ganon posted:

Here's the book you want: https://www.logees.com/growing-tasty-tropical-plants-in-any-home-anywhere.html

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

CommieGIR posted:

Yup, I've been doing this for a couple years: Flowers will slow down growth, so snip them, it also extends the growth time between winterization periods.

Couple of questions: How often are you watering, and are you 'butt feeding' (i.e. only adding water from the bottom in the tray)

They get spritzed daily, and twice a week I water by running it down the side of the enclosure (does not have an open bottom to feed up form below...purified water only this time, tap killed my last attempt with minerals building up).

They've been thriving, the flowering just slowed it down and it looked sad briefly after those bloomed; it's bouncing back now. The red dragons just seem to not like the grow light, but the king henry is exploding.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
Oh hey, carnie talk.
My outdoor ones have been pretty blah, mostly my own doing because I'm been lazy and not giving them a good drench and it's been especially hot with little to no precipitation lately.

Taking some pictures gives me a good excuse to go refresh them.

Here's a couple of small outdoor bog gardens I set up awhile ago. They have lasted me a few years now

The sundew has been very happy though (bottom right). I need to trim the dead pitchers but I wait until they are at least 50% browned (possibly too long)

RIP Marg. Marg was one of my first carnies, she lived several years, toughed it out through a bad freeze and a couple of hurricanes. This past winter was her demise (once again, likely my fault, I never brought her in like I typically did). One of these days I'll give her a proper burial, probably when I have a garden bed that needs some extra soil.

Indoor king henry and mystery tiny boy from trader joes doing well. I need to repot the trader joes find one of these days

Another pitcher and a bladderwort that I got from my favorite shop before they closed up for good this past winter. Another one I'm being lazy about potting

Also have another small (alive) asian pitcher that's just chilling on a windowsill that probably needs some tlc.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
Crosspost from the Costco thread:

Soul Dentist posted:

Went to church to pick up my colonoscopy prep and found incredibly cheap 5" succulents to sweeten the deal:

A 3 pack is 19 bucks and nobody gave me the stink eye for mixing and matching. They come in cute pots but the pots don't have holes in the bottom (until I get home). I'm repotting anyways

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

I was just in their greenhouses yesterday. Some of their fruit trees are obscene, covered in fruit half the size of my head. I assume it has something to do with how aggressively they've been pruned to keep them inside the greenhouses for a hundred years.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Soul Dentist posted:

Crosspost from the Costco thread:

Those are really neat looking. But your church sure has different services than I've ever seen if they do colonoscopy prep. $19 for those cute little pots without the plants is a good deal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hutla
Jun 5, 2004

It's mechanical

Including cat chomps. The spiky one is actually a big one plus 3 babies.