Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Waffleman_ posted:

I think with the similar uniforms, they would all be protagonist characters.

That does not prevent one of them from being a CHAR, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
the char should have a big witch hat with a mask on it. this serves as a foolproof disguise that no one could possibly see through.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
There should be a Big Zam equivalent piloted by a Baba Yaga Witch.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Kanos posted:

Yeah, I just don't think Macross is really interested in dealing with the cultural and social ramifications of near-complete species annihilation, especially since the likely outcome would be the exact opposite of the message Macross is trying to send about culture and communication.

If humanity was nearly completely wiped out in an apocalyptic war by outside invaders but barely survived, I'd expect the eventual result to be an insane paranoid xenophobic security state, because even assuming magical cloning technology to repopulate the world, the post-apocalypse society would be initially shaped and led by the survivors, who would almost assuredly be a bunch of enormously burnt-out PTSD victims who watched as everyone they knew and love died and their world burnt to cinders around them.
Kamjin's whole thing is arguably this reaction if not taking this precise form. The other factor here is that the primary quantity of survivors are specifically allies of the space giants who still have a bunch of space poo poo, so even if you want to go squat in a ruin and scream, you probably are not getting your own colony fleet of paranoid doomers.

I think Macross's presented attitude is pretty realistic based on people's immediate reactions to the aftermath of wars in a lot of situations.

Nessus fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Jun 16, 2022

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Nessus posted:

Kamjin's whole thing is arguably this reaction if not taking this precise form. The other factor here is that the primary quantity of survivors are specifically allies of the space giants who still have a bunch of space poo poo, so even if you want to go squat in a ruin and scream, you probably are not getting your own colony fleet of paranoid doomers.

I think Macross's presented attitude is pretty realistic based on people's immediate reactions to the aftermath of wars in a lot of situations.

We don't really have a lot of well-documented real life examples of the kind of war Macross shows us, where there's a 99.9999% casualty rate and one side is the target of brutal and merciless extermination by the other. The closest examples we have to compare to what happens in Macross are targeted genocides and ethnic cleansings like the holocaust and the Armenian genocide, which left a lot of incredibly and justifiably angry bad blood from the survivors and their descendants.

The entire political and military evolution of the modern state of Israel is basically summed up as "we are going to arm ourselves to the teeth and very aggressively ensure that no one else ever does anything like that to us ever again", with unfortunate results.

Kanos fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Jun 16, 2022

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

The Men Who Created Gundam (Gundam Sousei) is out in America. If you haven’t read it, buy it immediately.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Kanos posted:

We don't really have a lot of well-documented real life examples of the kind of war Macross shows us, where there's a 99.9999% casualty rate and one side is the target of brutal and merciless extermination by the other. The closest examples we have to compare to what happens in Macross are targeted genocides and ethnic cleansings like the holocaust and the Armenian genocide, which left a lot of incredibly and justifiably angry bad blood from the survivors and their descendants.

The entire political and military evolution of the modern state of Israel is basically summed up as "we are going to arm ourselves to the teeth and very aggressively ensure that no one else ever does anything like that to us ever again", with unfortunate results.
Sure, and the high-speed diaspora that is the colony fleets seems like an equally extreme reaction when you look at it that way. I think Macross's own fantastical factors interfere here, since as I recall they wipe out basically all of the people actually doing the extermination, and while you could hold it against the Zentradi who turned coat, they're both personally known to a significant fraction of surviving humans *and* are the active agents of helping with rebuilding. Un-enculturated Zentradis' ethical standings adds additional complications. e: also, Zentradi are 30 feet tall which makes it somewhat more difficult to bully them

It wouldn't surprise me if Earth is incredibly weird, but we only go to Macross City briefly in Plus, as I recall.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Gripweed posted:

The Men Who Created Gundam (Gundam Sousei) is out in America. If you haven’t read it, buy it immediately.

personally i do not support fujo-erasure

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Nessus posted:

Sure, and the high-speed diaspora that is the colony fleets seems like an equally extreme reaction when you look at it that way. I think Macross's own fantastical factors interfere here, since as I recall they wipe out basically all of the people actually doing the extermination, and while you could hold it against the Zentradi who turned coat, they're both personally known to a significant fraction of surviving humans *and* are the active agents of helping with rebuilding. Un-enculturated Zentradis' ethical standings adds additional complications. e: also, Zentradi are 30 feet tall which makes it somewhat more difficult to bully them

It wouldn't surprise me if Earth is incredibly weird, but we only go to Macross City briefly in Plus, as I recall.

I can absolutely assure you that if there were no nazis left in the world the jewish population would still be traumatized by the holocaust. Everyone you know being brutalized murdered is the kind of thing that you don't just remember, you make sure your kids remember it too, and their kids as well. You make museums memorializing what your people went through. You fill those museums with every gorey detail and make a thousand documentaries detailing every last awful thing that happened. Your entire society exists forever in a post-near-extinction state, it's what all of your art and philosophy suddenly becomes about. This is true regardless of whether or not you have some kind of target to direct your anger and grief at.

The most optimistic outcome isn't everyone pretending it didn't happen, it's a never ending, society wide funeral.

ninjewtsu fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Jun 16, 2022

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

ninjewtsu posted:

I can absolutely assure you that if there were no nazis left in the world the jewish population would still be traumatized by the holocaust. Everyone you know being brutalized murdered is the kind of thing that you don't just remember, you make sure your kids remember it too, and their kids as well. You make museums memorializing what your people went through. You fill those museums with every gorey detail and make a thousand documentaries detailing every last awful thing that happened. Your entire society exists forever in a post-near-extinction state, it's what all of your art and philosophy suddenly becomes about. This is true regardless of whether or not you have some kind of target to direct your anger and grief at.

Looking at the historical precedent, it doesn't seem to be forever. Medieval Europe eventually got over the Black Death... with a few centuries to process it.

But Macross's humanity doesn't care any more in just a decade or two. It's not just forgiving their enemies, it's not giving a poo poo about the most important event in human history.

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN
Finished ZZ. M'lady Haman was too good* and pure** for this world

*good at being evil
**pure evil

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

War and Pieces posted:

Finished ZZ. M'lady Haman was too good* and pure** for this world

*good at being evil
**pure evil

It's really interesting to compare SRW T Haman and ZZ Haman, because they do a good job with her (and Char) running the line where they feel like the same character, but in a way that them joining the good guys feels organic.

There's even some almost wink-at-the-camera lines, like when Bright says that Haman would never approve of a colony drop, or when Char admits that using Axis as a weapon against the Earth does sound like something he would do.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

God everything about Allelujah Haptism is so perfectly 2000s. This boy is a living Linkin Park AMV.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I used to hate Haman in ZZ, but now I sort of love it. She feels rudderless compared to her Zeta incarnation, but you can feel how deliberate it is. She's lost the only thing she really cared about, her love hate relationship with Char and now she's just conquering the Earth with all the vim and vigor of a geriatric. Then she finds Judeau, but he hates her for what she's done so she's just having a real bad time.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

The woman just needs a rival who could realistically enemies to lovers her.

E: Graham is that really what you went with for your Char name

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Waffleman_ posted:

It's a joke because he's white

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN

Waffleman_ posted:

I think honestly she just needs a girlfriend and she's turn out ok but alas it was the 80's

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

https://twitter.com/G_Witch_M/status/1537653764907229186?s=20&t=VE8Cvdt_Uacuv6cw6sSDdg

30 minutes!

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

https://twitter.com/G_Witch_M/status/1537661332606324736?s=20&t=xigqs87i1z3lz6mEqzESMw

New key art

Also Hiroshi Kobayashi directing, Ichiro Okochi writing

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Code Geass writer gives me hope. Some nobody directing causes the fear, but perhaps he will rise to the occasion

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

https://twitter.com/G_Witch_M/status/1537662837015064576?s=20&t=WrlXQosshKQS2RsRATsecQ

https://twitter.com/G_Witch_M/status/1537662078903029760

AS is the era

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Website in English, has character/MS bios too.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

I like the look of that Gundam. Feels classic but also new at the same time

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Seems it's gonna be cyberpunk ish. The MC's design is poo poo but it premieres on my birthday so that's cool

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
Gundam High School? Or is it more of a College? Anyway definitely getting a few Code Geas vibes.

psyer
Mar 26, 2013

Gaius Marius posted:

Code Geass writer gives me hope. Some nobody directing causes the fear, but perhaps he will rise to the occasion

Seems like he has directed Dragon Pilot, Kiznaiver and the upcoming Spriggan.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Gaius Marius posted:

Director's done a couple shows before. Hisone and Masotan was good, even if Kiznaiver's more debatable. No real reason for pessimism looking at the track records.

School setting to start with, which gives some structure while being something Gundam hasn't done much with in the anime before. Interesting that the biggest prior example was Ecole, which is also famous for a female protagonist.

Curious to see how this goes.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

good director and writer, hope they are on point for this one

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Also the Prologue is screening at GUNDAM NEXT FUTURE July 14.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

My Gundam Academia

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Princess Principal crossed over with Code Geass but with Gundam's would be a pretty great series

psyer
Mar 26, 2013
Music is done by Takashi Oomama. He has done Gundam: Twilight Axis.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

chiasaur11 posted:

Director's done a couple shows before. Hisone and Masotan was good, even if Kiznaiver's more debatable. No real reason for pessimism looking at the track records.

School setting to start with, which gives some structure while being something Gundam hasn't done much with in the anime before. Interesting that the biggest prior example was Ecole, which is also famous for a female protagonist.

Curious to see how this goes.

Having two mediocre series causes more trepidation than zero series in total. Lot of directors with nothing go balls to the wall and make something amazing, even their best works. Godard, Truffaut, Mann, Huston, I ain't seen either of those two anime's but I've also not heard talk of them, which tells me they're not that interesting.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

I mean tbh I don't think the problem with kiznaiver was the direction so much as the writing. I think it was competently directed?

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Gaius Marius posted:

Having two mediocre series causes more trepidation than zero series in total. Lot of directors with nothing go balls to the wall and make something amazing, even their best works. Godard, Truffaut, Mann, Huston, I ain't seen either of those two anime's but I've also not heard talk of them, which tells me they're not that interesting.

Calling a show mediocre because you've never heard about it seems more than a little unfair. It's not even "Haven't seen it, but reviews haven't made me want to". It's actively refusing knowledge, claiming that whatever falls in front of you by coincidence is innately superior to anything that doesn't. (I've read the author of multiple bestsellers comment that he almost never saw anyone reading his books).

Dragon Pilot was good. Not perfect, there was some structural awkwardness and the handling of some issues didn't feel completely satisfying with where it ended up, but overall it was a pretty good show, one of my favorites of 2018 as a solid done-in one.

It just didn't get much buzz because it was an original with the bad luck of being stuck in Netflix jail.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

chiasaur11 posted:

Calling a show mediocre because you've never heard about it seems more than a little unfair. It's not even "Haven't seen it, but reviews haven't made me want to". It's actively refusing knowledge, claiming that whatever falls in front of you by coincidence is innately superior to anything that doesn't. (I've read the author of multiple bestsellers comment that he almost never saw anyone reading his books).

Dragon Pilot was good. Not perfect, there was some structural awkwardness and the handling of some issues didn't feel completely satisfying with where it ended up, but overall it was a pretty good show, one of my favorites of 2018 as a solid done-in one.

It just didn't get much buzz because it was an original with the bad luck of being stuck in Netflix jail.

I mean even you say it's good not great. Mediocre means moderate not poor. If it had been some amazing breakout I would've heard about it.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

You're right about rejecting knowledge though cause I'm currently actively refusing to listen to this loving Drake Album

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
This is like operating under the pretension that all popular things are great and all unpopular things are not and deserve their obscurity.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

No

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Gaius Marius posted:

I mean even you say it's good not great. Mediocre means moderate not poor. If it had been some amazing breakout I would've heard about it.

Netflix.

As seen with Jojo part 6, anime released primarily on Netflix lose almost all momentum in the community, regardless of quality. Shows without a large pre-existing fanbase do even worse.

Their burst release model, combined with the massive delay between Japanese airing and American release, leaves shows largely forgotten, unable to (like Odd Taxi) build up attention through sheer quality over time.

Time and chance happen to them all. And Netflix buying an anime is a very bad hand at chance.