Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Symetrique
Jan 2, 2013

Its worth picking one up in general just to see how crazy their engineering and fit are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

I have zero experience with Bandai kits but you guys make them sound pretty good. Worth picking one up if it's a subject I like?

Absolutely. Double check the date of production because they're always improving but just about anything after 2015 will be dynamite.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012
There is a reason gunpla has been growing as a hobby. Woking models from layers of snapfit pieces is pretty tight tolerance requirements from the molds.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

I have zero experience with Bandai kits but you guys make them sound pretty good. Worth picking one up if it's a subject I like?

I bought the Mock Gundam for a crapkit build. At $15 it blew kits that I paid more than four times as much for out of the water in terms of engineering. I bought their Boba Fett years later and was not disappointed. If they make something you like, go for it.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

JuffoWup posted:

Don't forget too that because of that lead time, each mold is run longer reducing fitment due to wear. While tamiya bandai swap out molds more often as they age.

I always figured the older Tamiya molds get circulated over to the Philippines factory.

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

Enthusiastic yes in general, but there are a couple of kits that aren't particular winners, like some of the early Real Grade kits. You're still in kind of a Tamiya situation where even the older, less-good kits are probably safe bets. Anything made in the past five years should be a pretty safe bet, though.

Grumio
Sep 20, 2001

in culina est
My last kit was Tamiya and I'm currently building a CAC Boomerang by Special Hobby. It's such a typical limited run kit and a shocker after Tamiya. No guide pins, inconsistent thickness of parts, mismatch between the parts and instructions and just awful fit. They clearly put a lot of effort in, but it's baffling where they chose to devote their time and resources.
Instead of two small ports on each wing for the 30 cals, you have to put in a rectangular resin piece with the gun barrels molded. Nicer detail, but it doesn't fit (of course) and will leave an obvious raised section unless you really carefully fill it in and sand it.
They include a fully molded resin engine, with all the cylinders, that you'll see ~25% of when all it's all built. The air and exhaust piping is all there but of course they don't fit (too short). Worst of all, the fuselage won't close around it, so you either have to file down the cylinders or expand the fuselage to fit. I chose the latter option, as it also closes up the massive gaps at the wing roots.

The gap required to make the engine fit and wing roots close up:

Added 1mm styrene sheet to each side and carved it to fit:

I know it's the price to pay for these rarer aircraft, but it's going to be a while before I go near a limited run kit again

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Ensign Expendable posted:

I bought the Mock Gundam for a crapkit build. At $15 it blew kits that I paid more than four times as much for out of the water in terms of engineering. I bought their Boba Fett years later and was not disappointed. If they make something you like, go for it.

Oh poo poo, I lied as I built a Hi-Mock as well. Forgot about that guy. Maybe I'll try to find an A-wing or something.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Pierzak posted:

And you can steal techniques from other genres for your own hobby space. I remember how the look of wargaming minis shifted when internet became a popular thing and wargamers were exposed to scale modelers' weathering techniques. Worked well the other way, too, for human figure shading and the like.
Wargaming has always been drawing from model building because that was always where you get your tanks (and sometimes infantry) for WWI through cold war gaming and pretty much hasn't changed anyway even with it going from a book-only industry to a branded thing with a big player in every period in every scale. It's also worth looking at a prop maker like Adam Savage to see how there's a huge difference between making a model of a thing that exists, vs making a plausible looking example of a class of thing that may or may not exist. Adam's a great example of it because he does both, so you can see how he approaches each project. There's a huge mindset difference there, whether or not he actually articulates that directly.

tidal wave emulator
Aug 7, 2007

Grumio posted:

My last kit was Tamiya and I'm currently building a CAC Boomerang by Special Hobby. It's such a typical limited run kit and a shocker after Tamiya. No guide pins, inconsistent thickness of parts, mismatch between the parts and instructions and just awful fit. They clearly put a lot of effort in, but it's baffling where they chose to devote their time and resources.

I've often thought it interesting to compare Special Hobby and Eduard and their business models. I imagine they must be similar-sized companies, both Czech, and they collaborate frequently but look at how many new (and hugely niche) kits Special Hobby brings out, whereas Eduard bring out a couple of new kits a year, and when they do it's never anything particularly outside of mainstream.

Eduard invest in quality of fit, accuracy etc, aiming to get towards Tamiya buildability, and in so doing need to focus on (mostly) pretty mainstream subjects (Mustangs, Hellcats and so on) in order to sell enough to make a return on the few new tools they produce. My understanding is that Tamiya's scale model division is effectively subsidised by their RC cars as that's where they actually make their money.

Special Hobby on the other hand know they won't sell that many of e.g. an obscure late war japanese air force transport aircraft, and so probably can't afford to spend years perfecting it and cutting new tools until it's just right. They have to move on and produce the next niche kit they can sell a thousand units of. Sword are probably in a similar position in this respect.

Challengers from Ukraine like Dora Wings, Clear Prop! and Modelsvit are giving the Czech manufacturers a real run for their money now though, coming out with kits comparable to the big boys.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

For Cech kits, don't overlook Bren Gun, http://www.brengun.cz/. They've got a good line of 1/144 airplanes, a hard to find scale. Their SBD Dauntless was a really nice little kit with a decent cockpit and parts that fit well. Wings and body could have used a lot more guide pegs, but I didn't have to fill any gaps or do much sanding. They do a lot more than just 1/144 planes, they're worth a look for accessories or photoetch in a lot of scales, ground and air.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

tidal wave emulator posted:

Challengers from Ukraine like Dora Wings, Clear Prop! and Modelsvit
Thanks for the heads up, noting them down as another way to support Ukraine.

VVV: Thanks!

Pierzak fucked around with this message at 12:09 on Jun 7, 2022

tidal wave emulator
Aug 7, 2007

Pierzak posted:

Thanks for the heads up, noting them down as another way to support Ukraine.

There's also Amodel, Art Model, ICM, MiniArt, MasterBox, A&A and Roden.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

I am goddamn dying over here for Clear Prop! to release a non-export H-75 and they keep breaking my heart.

Grumio
Sep 20, 2001

in culina est

tidal wave emulator posted:

I've often thought it interesting to compare Special Hobby and Eduard and their business models. I imagine they must be similar-sized companies, both Czech, and they collaborate frequently but look at how many new (and hugely niche) kits Special Hobby brings out, whereas Eduard bring out a couple of new kits a year, and when they do it's never anything particularly outside of mainstream.

Eduard invest in quality of fit, accuracy etc, aiming to get towards Tamiya buildability, and in so doing need to focus on (mostly) pretty mainstream subjects (Mustangs, Hellcats and so on) in order to sell enough to make a return on the few new tools they produce. My understanding is that Tamiya's scale model division is effectively subsidised by their RC cars as that's where they actually make their money.

Special Hobby on the other hand know they won't sell that many of e.g. an obscure late war japanese air force transport aircraft, and so probably can't afford to spend years perfecting it and cutting new tools until it's just right. They have to move on and produce the next niche kit they can sell a thousand units of. Sword are probably in a similar position in this respect.

Challengers from Ukraine like Dora Wings, Clear Prop! and Modelsvit are giving the Czech manufacturers a real run for their money now though, coming out with kits comparable to the big boys.

Yeah, I'd be curious to see the business end of things like ROE for limited run kits. From what I've heard mold making is the primary up-front cost, do I'm guessing Special Hobby go with 'good enough ' to last for the short production run. Anyone know how large a 'limited run' production actually is? No more than a couple thousand? It is frustrating how you have to turn to these smaller companies for anything slightly niche, as everyone else is churning out the millionth Bf-109 variant.

Eduard got their start in photo etch accessories and still seem like the one of the biggest players, so I wonder if that income stream helps fund their kits as well.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Unrelated, but I am suddenly reminded of the source of your username/avatar combo.

Symetrique
Jan 2, 2013

Modelsvit was really ramping up their quality. Apparently their earlier kits were okay, but their line of 1/72 Mirage kits are basically like eduard profipaks. I've had the Mirage 2000 in the stash for a while now.

They also have a 1/72 Mriya kit:

https://www.scalemates.com/profiles/mate.php?id=70141&p=albums&album=58075

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003

Grumio posted:

The gap required to make the engine fit and wing roots close up:

That's the Special Hobby I know and love. Well, not love. Kinda like. I mean, tolerate when they're the only available option.

I struggled through their 1/32 P-39 kit a couple years ago and it was just dismal, then threw away their 1/32 Brewster Buffalo kit after absolutely nothing fit. I know the niche they fit and I'm glad they're around, but man, life is too damned short to build awful kits. With the Tamiyas and Mengs and Bandais of the world out there, in a hobby that's generally billed as "fun," it takes a serious love the subject matter for me to even attempt to tackle a short run kit.

Which reminds me, I have the Infinity Model 1/32 SB2C Helldiver kit in the stash, and if it is as bad as it appears to be by all accounts, it'll likely stay in the stash forever. :(

tidal wave emulator
Aug 7, 2007

Grumio posted:

From what I've heard mold making is the primary up-front cost, do I'm guessing Special Hobby go with 'good enough ' to last for the short production run.

Yeah from what I understand, getting a tool cut is somewhere in the region of £15-25k so that's a big investment for a small company that might only sell a couple thousand kits per tool.

Symetrique posted:

Modelsvit was really ramping up their quality. Apparently their earlier kits were okay, but their line of 1/72 Mirage kits are basically like eduard profipaks. I've had the Mirage 2000 in the stash for a while now.

I got their 2000C recently, I've not built it yet but its moulding detail is probably the best I've ever seen on an injection kit.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

That thing must be pretty good sized when completed.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

The Locator posted:

That thing must be pretty good sized when completed.

Assuming it's accurately sized, about four feet wide and long. In a 1/72. Jesus.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

Assuming it's accurately sized, about four feet wide and long. In a 1/72. Jesus.

I remember reading about a guy who was planning a build of the Ratte in 1:35. Some people are just wired different

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

The box has dimensions that are slightly hard to read, but it looks to be about 1.22 meters in wingspan and 1.16 meters in length. I love a big oversized model, building a 1/200 bismarck right now. And even though it is huge and heavy, nothing compares to the 1/10 scale Yamato I saw when I went to Japan. That was one hell of a model.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

So, an airplane equivalent of modeling a Yamato?

Blue Footed Booby posted:

I remember reading about a guy who was planning a build of the Ratte in 1:35. Some people are just wired different

Well, I remember reading about a guy who was planning that build in 1:1, so... :v:

Seriously though, why? I've seen one in 15mm wargaming scale and it was already ridiculously big.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Pierzak posted:

So, an airplane equivalent of modeling a Yamato?

Well, I remember reading about a guy who was planning that build in 1:1, so... :v:

Seriously though, why? I've seen one in 15mm wargaming scale and it was already ridiculously big.

Iirc he planned to use it as a battle landscape for some kind of war game. Like, aliens with jet packs crawling all over the thing. Gotta admit, I wouldn't want it in my house but I'd attend the poo poo out of game night at his.

Smoke
Mar 12, 2005

I am NOT a red Bumblebee for god's sake!

Gun Saliva
Built the Tamiya Bell X-1. Quite a neat little kit.

Symetrique
Jan 2, 2013

stealing posting valor from grassy gnoll

tidal wave emulator
Aug 7, 2007

Badger? Doing a special offer on their airbrushes?? It must be a day that ends in y!

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Didn't realize Badger was a bunch of chuds, guess it's time to switch to Iwata.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
I mean, depending on where they are, there may be no mask mandates anymore in that location. So it could be disappointing to have to return to that wherever the con is.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Someone on their facebook page suggested that an airbrush manufacturer should understand the importance of masks.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
"Merkblatt ist kaput, ich muss die tschechische Seite lesen! Tank? Was zum Teuffel ist ein Tank?"

Full album

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

I mean, depending on where they are, there may be no mask mandates anymore in that location. So it could be disappointing to have to return to that wherever the con is.

They're specifically complaining about the show having a mask policy.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Midjack posted:

They're specifically complaining about the show having a mask policy.

Yes, but there are MANY cities that have no masking policies anymore, even for large get togethers like cons. So if it's like that where Badger is located, and they've been without masks for a while now and are being asked to mask again at the con location, it can be annoying. Which is all they stated basically. They didn't call out the con or attendees as lib-cucks or sheep or the typical chud insults, they just said they weren't interested in spending all day in a mask again. Which is a perfectly fine thing to be annoyed about.

I dutifully wore my mask every day, but of course I was happy when masking policies were dropped. And it's not like I can enjoy it too much anyway, as I still have to wear one all day at work since I work at a hospital. But it's a joy to leave work and lose the mask again.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Yes, but there are MANY cities that have no masking policies anymore, even for large get togethers like cons. So if it's like that where Badger is located, and they've been without masks for a while now and are being asked to mask again at the con location, it can be annoying. Which is all they stated basically. They didn't call out the con or attendees as lib-cucks or sheep or the typical chud insults, they just said they weren't interested in spending all day in a mask again. Which is a perfectly fine thing to be annoyed about.

I dutifully wore my mask every day, but of course I was happy when masking policies were dropped. And it's not like I can enjoy it too much anyway, as I still have to wear one all day at work since I work at a hospital. But it's a joy to leave work and lose the mask again.

Conventions of any kind bring in people across states and countries into close contact for a weekend. That's a massive super-spreader opportunity dispersing new COVID cases EVERYWHERE, so they absolutely need a mask mandate.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

Ensign Expendable posted:

"Merkblatt ist kaput, ich muss die tschechische Seite lesen! Tank? Was zum Teuffel ist ein Tank?"

Full album

I still think this is a perfectly lovely tank.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Symetrique posted:

stealing posting valor from grassy gnoll

lmao they must be getting blasted for it, here's the email they just sent to their customer list:

quote:

Dear Badger Air-Brush Co. Artist Friend,
We thought we were all prepared to attend our first convention since the start of the pandemic. Product
made, packed, and ready to go. Unfortunately, despite the product being ready to go..we weren't. And
regretfully we had to opt out of exhibiting at ORIGINS this weekend.
So here we are with all of our show product ready to go and because we're not at ORIGINS no event to sell
it at. What to do...what to do?
If we couldn't be at ORIGINS to sell our wares, we figure maybe we could do a NoORIGINS special offer
event and sell the goods we planned to sell at ORIGINS. So, that's exactly what we're doing. All of the
products we were planning to sell at ORIGINS are available for purchase this weekend (through Wednesday)
in the special offers section of our website, which can be accessed by clicking pretty much anywhere on this
email.
The items are all priced exactly at the price we planned to sell them for at the show. And because it's not
your fault we're not there and you can't just walk up to our table and walk away with your purchased prod-
uct, we're paying the shipping (in the U.S.A.).
The product quantity limits are set to exactly the quantity of each item we were bringing to the show. And,
just like at a convention, everything is first come first serve and once we're out we're out.
Additional information is available on the top of our special offers page, including ordering procedures for
International customers. We'll be available to answer questions by phone from 9am-3pm CST each day of
our event. The number to call for the NoORIGINS help desk is 312-282-9762.
We apologize to anyone who's at ORIGINS and was hoping to visit our tables. We hope we'll see you at
Gencon or somewhere else down the road. In the meantime, feel free to click here and visit our NoORIGINS
"tables" and maybe take advantage of our always pretty awesome show deals.
Take air,
BADGER AIR-BRUSH CO.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Conventions of any kind bring in people across states and countries into close contact for a weekend. That's a massive super-spreader opportunity dispersing new COVID cases EVERYWHERE, so they absolutely need a mask mandate.

Yeah, but you can also think "I'd rather not go and deal with it" without thinking it is a bad idea. I've avoided flying places because I didn't want to wear a mask for five hours. Didn't think it was a bad idea that people wear them in airports and stuff. Just would rather choose something else that doesn't require it.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

I can see why folks might be irritated at having to wear a mask still, especially as those mandates are being phased out. But I personally love wearing a mask into a bank and not getting arrested or shot.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Night Shift’s stippling!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IpD0ZSQIPyk

Edit: this was supposed to be an “Omar’s Walkin’” joke, but internet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009
Anyone ever have any issues spraying Tamiya TS-13 clearcoat (rattlecan) over Tamiya acrylics? As I understand it, the spray is lacquer based and I think lacquer over acrylic is a no no right? But Tamiya acrylics are a acrylic lacquer hybrid I believe. I know there's solvent in there as they have the flammable logo. I do plan on letting the acrylic cure for 24 hours first before I attempt it.