Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Begemot posted:

I was really wondering how you were supposed to use the bat gun, it fires way too slow for any character EXCEPT Abby.

It's almost too easy to win with her, I've been trying to get a win with the first character, who can only reroll upgrades. It turns out she gets a special chest upgrade that gives you a bunch of bullet upgrades, but it's still hard to stay alive without some sort of damaging gimmick.

The shotgun makes the early game easy for all the characters, you just have to luck into good synergies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you
Another decent VS-like is Nomad Survival. It features a number of classes with one unique skill each, ranging from the starter class's simple sword slash to raising skeletal minions or causing one enemy to explode and deal AoE damage for the more advanced ones. Every class may also have a heritage applied to it, which modifies gameplay in various ways such as granting a bonus re-roll for each level gained or doubling your damage output at the cost of being unable to regain hit points. On top of all this there are all sorts of additional attacks and passives to choose from and upgrade when you level up – unlike in VS there is no upper bound to how many different skills you can have, but though you receive one re-roll per level there are often trade-offs to be made between the skills you'd like and what the RNG actually sees fit to mete out. There's also the usual meta-progression via upgrades purchased with gold gathered during gameplay (and unlike in VS, buying an upgrade doesn't increase the cost of all the rest :v:).

Game's pretty fun, quite reasonably, and seems to get updated frequently enough. Plus there's a "mellow music" toggle for when you feel like murdering hundreds of monsters in a more relaxed manner!

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

20MtD

Mendrian posted:

The shotgun makes the early game easy for all the characters, you just have to luck into good synergies.

Shotgun Abby with basically unlimited ammo also deals well with lategame ...

I really feel this game needs an epilepsy warning.

https://i.imgur.com/jCYjO0H.mp4

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

mcbexx posted:

20MtD

Shotgun Abby with basically unlimited ammo also deals well with lategame ...

I really feel this game needs an epilepsy warning.

https://i.imgur.com/jCYjO0H.mp4

This really looks like it gets illegible very quickly.

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

Pope Guilty posted:

This really looks like it gets illegible very quickly.

Yeah but that’s sort of the norm in this thread (in this genre?)

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Flaming grenade launcher heals are great on the lady with 7 HP. At that point, take Fan Fire and Splinter, it doesn’t matter.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Is there a name for this kind of game genre yet? If there isn't, it is probably time to workshop a name lest we end with another monstrosity like "MOBA" (which only became tolerable because frequent use made you forget it was an abbreviation).

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
I liked "Reverse bullet hell"

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
Bullet Survivor

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

Splicer posted:

I liked "Reverse bullet hell"

Bullet Heaven?

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

MarquiseMindfang posted:

Bullet Heaven?
Ooh that's nice

kas
Sep 9, 2003
I am a snoot.

Vamplikes

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.
Crimsonlikes

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
They're obviously third-person shooters.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Pope Guilty posted:

They're obviously third-person shooters.

*top-down shooters

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Oxyclean posted:

*top-down shooters

Mainly Offline Bullet Arenas.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

robotron-likes

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Hear me out.

Castleroids.

Ardryn
Oct 27, 2007

Rolling around at the speed of sound.

Survivorlikes.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

ASJSS (rear end-jizz): automated single joystick survivor shooter

The clunkier the acronym the better :getin:

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

MarquiseMindfang posted:

Bullet Heaven?

Y'know, I could've sworn there was some game that used this, ages ago, but I can't remember what it was now. Maybe Bit.Trip FATE? But that doesn't have it anywhere I can see.

Anyway, it's very fitting. Especially since the original trailer for Vampire Survivors has "BE THE BULLET HELL" in it, and you can make your own bullet curtains in 20MTD with the right upgrades.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
Think it was Nomad Survival where I first saw the Bullet Heaven term and reckoned fine with it. But now it doesn't seem to be on the Steam page so either that changed at some point or I'm blending memories

Still there for DopeMine though/as well, which was among the earliest era immediately following VS..

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1913530/DopeMine_Arena/

Oenis
Mar 15, 2012

ExiledTinkerer posted:

Think it was Nomad Survival where I first saw the Bullet Heaven term and reckoned fine with it. But now it doesn't seem to be on the Steam page so either that changed at some point or I'm blending memories

Still there for DopeMine though/as well, which was among the earliest era immediately following VS..

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1913530/DopeMine_Arena/

I played basically all of the VS-like/crimsonlike demos but this is one really feels the most like a 13-year old's first game. It's not exactly unfun and it's not the worst, but it's still almost more jank than game, the movement is really floaty and the graphics are really hard to look at.

What's the quickest way to get into gamedev so I can try to make something better?

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Ugh, I got into the last five minutes of a no-shooting run of 20MTD, but I got overwhelmed and died. Even on 0 darkness, it's really tough.

I used the character with the clone dodge ability, so I could deal damage from the start and gain some levels. Started with the grenade launcher, since its drawbacks don't matter if you never fire it and it has such high base damage. By the end my flying knives were doing almost 200 damage a hit, but those big enemies just have too much HP!

Qwezz
Dec 19, 2010

I'm feeling some good vibrations!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EV90sbb-SMQ

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I just broke 20MTD over my knee - HOLY gently caress. SMG's + the lady who burns - boost rload, rapid fire and BANG - you're a machine.

I got up to 99 bullets that shot out it in like 3 seconds. The fire boost that sends out a 40dmg fire thing plus the mastery that makes things explode = game over for the mobs. :lol: Wish I knew how to capture things.

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

To save the world from the expanding Zone.
So what's the secret to the stage 5 Blue reaper? Guy has like a billion health and you can't get close.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Monolith. posted:

So what's the secret to the stage 5 Blue reaper? Guy has like a billion health and you can't get close.

Grab a crucifix to kill it instantly, there's one directly south of the starting position that's always there. Items that drop from candles show up on the map now, so it's easy to find!

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."

Monolith. posted:

Go south, find the Rosaries. Save one for when Drowner shows up.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Vintersorg posted:

I just broke 20MTD over my knee - HOLY gently caress. SMG's + the lady who burns - boost rload, rapid fire and BANG - you're a machine.

Gave it a shot, didn't even get the triple ammo tome, but yeah, that's quite the bullet hell - for THEM.

https://i.imgur.com/5zScarz.mp4

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Vintersorg posted:

I got up to 99 bullets that shot out it in like 3 seconds. The fire boost that sends out a 40dmg fire thing plus the mastery that makes things explode = game over for the mobs. :lol: Wish I knew how to capture things.

You can record any program in windows 10 by hitting windows key + G to open the game bar, then click on record. It actually records games all the time by default, so it can save the last 30 seconds any time. You can improve performance by turning that off :v:

Then you can trim it in the default photo software, and just upload it to imgur and cut off the sound, no problem:

https://i.imgur.com/H2xWWCF.mp4

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Monolith. posted:

If for some reason you miss the crucifixes, the Knife evolution kills him pretty well -- walk right next to the water and shoot left

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

People have been talking a lot about VS clones and I don't want to wade through it all - what's the evolve for the new whip?

E: never mind, I got it by accident.

Jedit fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Jun 17, 2022

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Jedit posted:

People have been talking a lot about VS clones and I don't want to wade through it all - what's the evolve for the new whip?

The old evolved whip.

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003

Jedit posted:

Combines with the evolved old whip.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Thanks.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Jedit posted:

E: never mind, I got it by accident.
You gotta whip it

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

The hyper whip is a goat, it absolutely slaps. Never not taking it anymore

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003
Yeah, even with lower damage per hit the higher rate mostly compensates, leaving a weapon that can hit two directions rather than one and heals as fast as Bloody Tear with arcana.

Up is also the least valuable direction for an evolve to aim even apart from two being better than one, the only time when up is your forced general direction is tower if getting the debuff accessories first while most maps let you zigzag and of course the optimal safe farm in library is hori only.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~
Your lovely shrine maiden fox wife, Tamamo no Mae, is here to help!

Begemot posted:

Y'know, I could've sworn there was some game that used this, ages ago, but I can't remember what it was now. Maybe Bit.Trip FATE? But that doesn't have it anywhere I can see.

There was an old flash game called Bullet Heaven, it was a spinoff of the Epic Battle Fantasy series.