Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

Skios posted:

Fast & Furious 1970 Dodge Charger R/T with a Dominic Toretto minifig:

is that 8 wide or 6 wide?

I want to do lego blue velvet and I need to build frank booth's car

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B-5U-mEgzwM

Uh wow this set is loving gigantic

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Should have been a three in one.

Skios
Oct 1, 2021

The Voice of Labor posted:

is that 8 wide or 6 wide?

I want to do lego blue velvet and I need to build frank booth's car

Yeah, all modern Speed Champions are eight studs wide, and this looks to use the same scale.

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.
My daughter decided at random that it was time for Father's Day and she got me the Trench Run Diorama. I've taught her well.

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots
I got the missing piece in on Wednesday and finally finished this thing today.

It's really big.

Some thoughts (and I'm still new so like, take this with a giant salt lick probably): There are some really cool build elements, especially the suspension. The split sticker on the rear spoiler is impossible to make look good, at least for me, because the middle section to complete it stays on the sticker sheet. I may end up taking the stickers off completely because I'm not an F1 fan but I am a perfectionist.

There HAS to be a better way to attach the wheels to the car. It seems like every car I do, that is that part I have to take a break and walk away and come back and try again after screaming a bit. This one almost ended up in a "Pit Row" status with the wheels off and yes I think they call it a box in F1.

This one also feels the most 'Splodey if I were to drop it. The front fenders are held on by will and luck. Overall I still love the look because this is the only acceptable racing livery in the history of all racing. In my opinion, that's a fact.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
You can cut the middle part of the spoiler sticker free and attach it as well, that’s what I did. Posted about it further up the thread a ways.

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots

Dogen posted:

You can cut the middle part of the spoiler sticker free and attach it as well, that’s what I did. Posted about it further up the thread a ways.

Believe me when I say that I don't have that kind of talent/patience/ability :)

I remember you saying that it was a piece of poo poo (my words), and you were right.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
I want to order the Ferrari soon so I can get both GWPs but Lego hasn’t processed my Optimus returns yet. FedEx tracking says it was dropped at the return center 3 days ago. Anyone know how long it usually takes them to process and refund returns?

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
I also finished the McLaren F1 yesterday, here's my full Twitter thread with the piece layouts and the build stages. I started laying out the first part of the Fiat 500 last night, as well.

https://twitter.com/Boco_T/status/1516597438336876549

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?
I wanna talk about building cars! I did this topic as a stream once, but without Brickening as an outlet, I don't know what to do but effortpost here, so here we go:

6-wide cars! There are a lot of techniques that I've absorbed and developed over the course of building about 4 dozen 6-wide cars over the past few years. I wanna share some, and applications of them.

First, the chassis. This isn't usually where I start when I build a car, but it's an important foundation. There are 3 standard ways that I build up a car: plates, vehicle bases, and sideways panel pieces.

Ideally, you want your minifig sitting about as low as possible in a car, because the weird-rear end proportions of minifigs means overall height is usually an issue. In order to not have comically tall cabins, you generally want the minifig sitting BELOW the sort of "base level" of the rest of the car. I'll illustrate:

If you build on plates, and the minifig sits at the lowest level of the car possible without the vehicle scraping the ground, then the shortest the car can possibly be with the driver in an upright position is (approximately, barring for weird wheel mounting solutions and other silliness) 14 plates.

If we build the same thing, but using a vehicle base instead of a plate, now the car only needs to be 13 plates tall. This effect is achieved anytime the part the fig actually rests on is: A) less than a full plate thick, and B) below the lowest "plate level" of the rest of the car.

Additionally, the geometry of the vehicle base allows us to build both above and below it, which is crucial for stability. If we just build on regular plates, dropped as low to the ground as possible, then we can't build under them, which means we can't reinforce them and the vehicle will be far less stable, especially when placing a minifig inside (as pushing down on it will tend to dislodge the plate it's sitting on).

The old 30029 from the 90's is the easiest and most stable way to achieve this, since it has a recessed section for the driver and is one solid piece. I use this whenever I can, as did LEGO when they made 6-wide SC sets. The modern version, 52036, works... okay for this as well, but is really limiting due to its geometry. There is basically no reason to use this over the classic version, and I never have.

All that said, sometimes you gotta build on plates. I use them when I cannot fit a standard vehicle base into a car, and when height is not an issue. This setup is also helpful when I just don't have the space to lay the groundwork/connections for a sideways panel chassis. Examples of this:

In the case of the Geo Tracker, there just wasn't space to do anything but a plate base. I wouldn't have been able to properly reinforce a sideways panel build. Luckily, I had plenty of height to work with. I also opted to use Technic plates instead of regular ones, for two reasons: I had SNOT assemblies sitting on top of these that ordinary studs would have clipped into, and the stud-to-Technic-hole connection is much stronger (greater friction) than a stud-to-regular-antistud connection:

Now with the Mustang, I did a weird thing with the rocker panels so I didn't have the width to fit the vehicle base. I also have the rear of the car filled with a Technic worm gearbox for the height-adjustable rear axle feature, so I did not have room to place or reinforce a panel setup, either. Luckily, the height of the car was just enough that a standard plate base worked out:

For the C10, I had a ton of height to work with. The base is actually a full brick thick on the cabin of this one. Also, a longer piece like a vehicle base would not have worked since the cab and bed were built as two separate units and then joined with a small gap between them:

Okay, so far more interesting that that is the panel chassis. So you're building a car, and it's gotta be particularly low or small. You can't fit a vehicle chassis in there, but you need your minifig sitting about as low as possible in this thing. A 1 x 2 x 3 panel element turned sideways achieves everything you need. It's thinner than a plate and can be dropped just below the plate level using brackets or SNOT bricks. The modern style of panel with the side supports will actually not work for this, however. Those side supports make the overall profile a full plate thick, rather than half a plate. Gotta use the A or B variant. Here are some cars using this technique:

The Trans Am could have been built using the vehicle base element if not for the height of the curved side panels. The brackets used to mount them would have gotten in the way of the wide part of the base. I could conceivably have attached them with non-inverted brackets mounted higher, but the build would have been weaker and the side vent design would not have worked:

The Cougar needed an even more compact solution in order to have enough space to reinforce the "frame rails." The standard sideways panel technique I typically use, using the 1 x 2 x 3 panel, has a footprint of 2 x 8 studs (as opposed to the vehicle base's 4 x 10). This method, using a pair of 1 x 2 x 1 panels, has a footprint of only 2 x 6 studs, but of course requires additional reinforcement since it doesn't join in the middle. I've only used this for 2 cars ever, since it's more annoying to make it work:

The Nova uses this technique for a totally different reason: the 1 x 2 x 3 panel is mounted differently this time, offset 1/2 a plate from normal by using upturned brackets / SNOT pieces instead of downturned ones, to shift the driver's height by 1/2 a plate. This is because a lot of this car was built on a 1/2 plate vertical offset in order to shape the rear deck properly, so this technique was used to bring the driver back up to the correct height:

I was intending to write more about car tech, such as pillar design, fascias, wheels, and fenders, but this was... over 6,000 words about chassis, so maybe I'll save that for another time. Let me know if this is helpful to anyone, because it feels like sheer vanity to write about my builds like this otherwise.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
That is incredible info and I really like how you compare the different eras. I hadn't even realized how much difference there was between parts that look the same to my untrained eye

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots
gently caress yeah that is helpful and interesting!

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Flyinglemur posted:

I got the missing piece in on Wednesday and finally finished this thing today.

It's really big.

Some thoughts (and I'm still new so like, take this with a giant salt lick probably): There are some really cool build elements, especially the suspension. The split sticker on the rear spoiler is impossible to make look good, at least for me, because the middle section to complete it stays on the sticker sheet. I may end up taking the stickers off completely because I'm not an F1 fan but I am a perfectionist.

There HAS to be a better way to attach the wheels to the car. It seems like every car I do, that is that part I have to take a break and walk away and come back and try again after screaming a bit. This one almost ended up in a "Pit Row" status with the wheels off and yes I think they call it a box in F1.

This one also feels the most 'Splodey if I were to drop it. The front fenders are held on by will and luck. Overall I still love the look because this is the only acceptable racing livery in the history of all racing. In my opinion, that's a fact.

they had these at costco and I regret not buying it

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

I decided to just now alleviate that regret by ordering the Ferrari.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Optimus chillin while we wait for some unique pieces to do a better head mod. Also put in some knees but the range of motion is maybe 15-20 degrees in any direction.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Wondering what else is on that shelf next to the Aperol and Bacardi.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
By the way Legocon is at 12 ET, probably announcing a bunch of sets there(At least the Sanctum Santorum modular and the Avatar line, maybe more)

EDIT: Joel Mchale will be there for some reason

RatHat fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Jun 18, 2022

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem
The only thing I care about is the galaxy explorer remake.

Give it to me!

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011

Feenix posted:

Optimus chillin while we wait for some unique pieces to do a better head mod. Also put in some knees but the range of motion is maybe 15-20 degrees in any direction.

I really do wish he was about the size of the Bastion (OW) model, because that really felt like a great size and weight.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

RatHat posted:

By the way Legocon is at 12 ET, probably announcing a bunch of sets there(At least the Sanctum Santorum modular and the Avatar line, maybe more)

EDIT: Joel Mchale will be there for some reason

Joel McHale is a toy collector, you just don’t hear much about it.

DrChud
Jun 18, 2004

Does anyone know with the LegoCon, the stuff they are revealing, are they going up today for order today or for a later date?

ixnay
Jun 11, 2002

rainbow dash why are you making such a cool face?!
https://twitter.com/brickset/status/1538195801880596480

August 1

refleks
Nov 21, 2006

Aaawww yiiss galaxy explorer

mentholmoose
Nov 5, 2009

YKNOW THERES ONLY ONE DIRECTION I KNOW AND THATS DRIVIN STRAIGHT TO THE NET
Been slowly making progress on my Bender model:

Couple weak points where the legs and arms connect to the torso, possibly, as well as in the door, but I don't know how weak it'll actually be before building it, but as a display model it I think would be fine.

e: Galaxy Explorer looks real cool, dunno if I'd end up getting it, though. $100 is a solid price though.

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

:coolfish:

:coolfish:
holy poo poo that castle O_O 4500 pieces jeeze

https://brickset.com/article/78775/galaxy-explorer-returns

BaconCopter fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Jun 18, 2022

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

refleks posted:

Aaawww yiiss galaxy explorer
I'm in. It really should have the radar building to go with though.

engessa
Jan 19, 2007

https://brickset.com/article/78773/lego-announces-90th-anniversary-10305-lion-knights-castle!

Looks awesome!

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Guess I gotta get galaxy explorer.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Wow that is so expensive

I am definitely getting it though I reckon

refleks
Nov 21, 2006

I know it's to attract a wide swath of the world, but it does seem weird they're not using at least a single danish presenter for some part of this show.

:denmark:

Siroc
Oct 10, 2004

Ray, when someone asks you if you're a god, you say "YES"!
You're able to build a mini galaxy explorer out of the full set, which is really cool.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

No ghost, no sale.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Most expensive LEGO year ever. Not sure what that throwing $$$ away emoji is but yeah. Just fill the page with that.

refleks
Nov 21, 2006

Aw, Minecraft lady is so happy and excited about being there...

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Fuuuuuck I really want that but it's so much money

Sexual Lorax
Mar 17, 2004

HERE'S TO FUCKING

Fun Shoe

"18 years & up" is a good joke on Lego's part. "WE KNOW YOU'RE THERE, ADULT FANS, PLEASE UNDERSTAND YOU ONLY ACCOUNT FOR A TINY FRACTION OF OUR SALES"

ivantod
Mar 27, 2010

Mahalo, fuckers.
I feel they really did do justice to the old Galaxy Explorer and this "remake" looks great if you ask me.

When exactly do these become available? I've seen the 1st of August being mentioned, but is there going to be any kind of VIP early order/preorder? I'm definitely expecting here another Tallneck situation, i.e. if you don't get it immediately at midnight it will be difficult to get it for quite some time.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Not super keen on the rear spoiler thingy on that ship but I love all the references they got going on.. the robot and the coffee mug is great.

Don't know why the engines can be detached and ridden, but gently caress it, it's awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Gonna finally disassemble SpaceshipX3.