Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~
Your lovely shrine maiden fox wife, Tamamo no Mae, is here to help!

mastershakeman posted:

Yeah, hyper is always on. As is hurry, which I assumed was just 2x game speed but maybe it's the reason all these runs were so much work for me?

Hurry is actually a detriment. Each wave only lasts for 30 real-life seconds, which means overall you're killing about half as many enemies in hurry mode. For comparison, I can comfortably finish my builds by minute 15 when not playing hurry mode, but in hurry mode I might still be trying to get pieces even by minute 20.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

mastershakeman posted:

Yeah, hyper is always on. As is hurry, which I assumed was just 2x game speed but maybe it's the reason all these runs were so much work for me?
Hurry doesn't increase the spawn timer or your own movement speed or anything, just wave progression. You'll get the same number of enemies per every second of real time, it's just they'll turn into the next wave type of enemies twice as fast. So by realtime minute 5 you'll be fighting gametime minute 10 monsters but with considerably less XP.

e: beaten by a page snype

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Third World Reagan posted:

We are playing gauntlet

In five years we'll be debating the Berlin Interpretation of Gauntletlikes.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business
I killed death today, that was fun. I was running out of the house so I didn't see what I unlocked :smith:.

BrianRx
Jul 21, 2007

Scruffpuff posted:

Picked up 20MTD yesterday after reading some posts here, and it's pretty good, but I'm getting my rear end absolutely wrecked. I'm lucky as hell to get past the second boss. I've unlocked a bunch of characters and runes, tried different combos, and every run ends the same way. If I even manage to kill the second boss, about a minute or so later I'm overwhelmed by the rush. I feel I might be missing a trick here. Any tips?

Don't be afraid to go straight at a large group of enemies when you're getting overwhelmed. Depending on your loadout, you can shoot a hole through them (while picking up the exp) and avoid the whole circling the crowd and picking at the edges thing. The key is to be able to reload fast enough and/or push enemies back far enough that you don't get surrounded.

I thought the shotgun would be the easiest for an early win, but the submachine guns with lightning and frost will let you walk across the finish line if you can get past the short period at the beginning when you are relying only on their damage output. At a certain point, it doesn't matter how little damage they do, you just need them to deliver on-hit or on-fire effects quickly.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Honestly grab the whole frost tree and then anything that gives you more spread, bullet speed, reload, or penetration. You will waltz to victory on almost any character and most weapons. I find the shotgun easiest but ymmv.

Frost is counterintuitively the best tree for damage because it does % based damage and spreads.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Yeah as soon as I saw those frost upgrades I knew it was bonkers. Got my first win yesterday. Interested in how the darkness levels play.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

Upgrading freeze move and your shield takes sooo long, meanwhile they're very mid abilities, and you're making the enemies much stronger, but once you finally evolve that stuff, you become invincible. Death can't even kill you, only Super Death can. It's an interesting approach to difficulty.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

WarpedLichen posted:

What weapons should I go for if I want to get to evolve both the laurel and the clock lancet?

I usually get overwhelmed before I can get the second upgrade online.

I like Runetracer because it scales with everything and pierces enemies. The only downside is that evolving it requires Armor, which doesn't help you kill stuff faster.

Holy Water is a decent choice too because Attractorb is such a useful accessory that you're probably gonna pick it up, but it's not that great until you upgrade it. Really good at creating a murder circle once you do, though.

Depends on the map, I guess.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

NO FUTURE is so good that it outweighs the non-offensive behavior of armor every time, though.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

WarpedLichen posted:

What weapons should I go for if I want to get to evolve both the laurel and the clock lancet?

I usually get overwhelmed before I can get the second upgrade online.
Bible with a few levels and/or Knife are great for running around especially in the multidirectional maps. Blue wand is good because you are absolutely going to get book and usually your closest enemy is the one in front of you. Whip is great for library and, uh, shooty uppy downy particles is great in tower.

If you can get enough XP for it then taking the one of the double weapon upgrades instead of lancet and then pulling in lancet after the evolve can be a good strategy to boost your midgame damage but on the other hand the double weapons are not great sprint weapons (excluding again the whips in the library).

Also make sure you take and upgrade the "get buff" ring and arrow before the "get wrecked" ones.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Also if you play with arcana 5 you can skip sprinting and any need for orb

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~
Your lovely shrine maiden fox wife, Tamamo no Mae, is here to help!

Captain Foo posted:

NO FUTURE is so good that it outweighs the non-offensive behavior of armor every time, though.

The dev also changed it so that each point of armor you have increases retaliation damage (so No Future, the Heart of Fire arcana, and I'm pretty sure Crimson Shroud as well).

Qwezz
Dec 19, 2010

I'm feeling some good vibrations!
New teaser has been uploaded

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sBeUURT-5Mo

quote:

The Posh patch will drop on the 23rd of June!

Trailer music composed and arranged by Filippo Vicarelli.

e;

Qwezz fucked around with this message at 13:51 on Jun 20, 2022

Duderclese
Aug 30, 2003
I'm the gay younger brother of UnkleBoB and Buddha Stalin
Real excited to throw pianos at monsters.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
I can't wait to finally get to kill the vampire.

Ha ha ha.

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

Duderclese posted:

Real excited to throw pianos at monsters.

in a top hat no less

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Cowman posted:

in a top hat no less

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer
Have to say, an arcana that reduces cooldown when you move is an excellent potential counter to turtling up and going semi-AFK.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Cowman posted:

in a top hat no less

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I like garlic a lot in the late game, especially with the arcana that doubles the healing it does. The evolved garlic really helps with anything that manages to get through my bible whirlwind of death.

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003
Is that a new "max weapons" option in character select?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

So I killed the Red Death tree times now (then got killed by the grey reaper thing). How exactly do I unlock it as a playable character?

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

It should be in the character select, you just need to pay to unlock him

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

To save the world from the expanding Zone.
I love how insane some of the weapons are. Minecarts? Check. Bombs that bounce? Check. A bone? Check. Two flintlocks? Check.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Sockser posted:

It should be in the character select, you just need to pay to unlock him

I know that it should, but it ain't

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Jack Trades posted:

So I killed the Red Death tree times now (then got killed by the grey reaper thing). How exactly do I unlock it as a playable character?
Did you close the game by quitting or by hitting the x button?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Splicer posted:

Did you close the game by quitting or by hitting the x button?

I usually just alt-f4 but I tried killing Red Death again and using the Quit button this time, still nothing.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Just got 20mtd. Ive bought more of these games in two weeks than ive bought in 3 years

Gonna try out frost like advised

Turpitude
Oct 13, 2004

Love love love

be an organ donor
Soiled Meat

mastershakeman posted:

Just got 20mtd. Ive bought more of these games in two weeks than ive bought in 3 years

I just did a frost shotgun build, very strong. having lots of runes helps a lot though

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
For Red Death, are you unlocking him using Leda? Some events don't fire if you're using secret characters. I don't know if that's one of them, but Moongolow bonus round doesn't fire if you're using secret characters and the item from the bonus stage is needed to unlock Death, so...

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

MarquiseMindfang posted:

For Red Death, are you unlocking him using Leda? Some events don't fire if you're using secret characters. I don't know if that's one of them, but Moongolow bonus round doesn't fire if you're using secret characters and the item from the bonus stage is needed to unlock Death, so...

I use any character and use evolved lancet and evolved laurel.

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Ask me about my STD collection!

mastershakeman posted:

Can we get a comprehensive and ranked list of these types? LOL

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text

MarquiseMindfang posted:

I unlocked it with Leda in dairy plant

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I've been playing 20MTD after reading through this thread because I've unlocked everything I wanted in VS at the moment and I can't get past the second boss so far.

Is a Glare build viable? I just wanna walk around staring at things till they die.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

I've been playing 20MTD after reading through this thread because I've unlocked everything I wanted in VS at the moment and I can't get past the second boss so far.

Is a Glare build viable? I just wanna walk around staring at things till they die.

Not really, it never does enough damage on its own, though it's very helpful if you get ice bullets and the upgrade that gives glare the same elemental procs as your bullets. 20MTD isn't really about picking one tree like that, it's more about going for bullets, elements or pets. And even then you're gonna be spreading the upgrades around a lot, just because you get so many levels to spend and only one character gets to reroll.

The most frustrating thing about that game is when, like, you really want to finish one specific tree, and it just refuses to show up among the options for like ten levels.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Begemot posted:

Not really, it never does enough damage on its own, though it's very helpful if you get ice bullets and the upgrade that gives glare the same elemental procs as your bullets. 20MTD isn't really about picking one tree like that, it's more about going for bullets, elements or pets. And even then you're gonna be spreading the upgrades around a lot, just because you get so many levels to spend and only one character gets to reroll.

The most frustrating thing about that game is when, like, you really want to finish one specific tree, and it just refuses to show up among the options for like ten levels.

I've been avoiding the elemental bullets (other than the lightning one) till now, I guess I should really check them out.

I've been trying to make Lilith + Bat Gun + Summons work to see if I could just spam the entire map with bat bullets and spirits, but it clutters up the screen and I end up walking into enemies.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Summons are real weak and underpowered. Glare got buffed and is a decent support for your damage. Elements are all strong and work in any build.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer
20MTD: My experience with a Lilith/Batgun run (pre weapon buffs) is that there’s actually less summon synergy between the two than you might expect.

Summons in general are more a supplimentary tree at this point. Dragon is absurdly strong at endgame but requires you to get both the buff perks early in a run. Daggers and scythes do good work but only if you have very high bullet damage (ex. Grenade launcher). Note that the pentagram tome that boosts summons debuffs reload time, not bullet damage. Lens is cool and has some fun side interactions (get it on Hina and drop your clone on yourself). Ghost exists.

If summons get fleshed out more then a “pure” summoner might work better, but for now accept that even if you get every summon perk you’re going to be relying on guns and/or elemental as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Tortolia posted:

20MTD: My experience with a Lilith/Batgun run (pre weapon buffs) is that there’s actually less summon synergy between the two than you might expect.

Summons in general are more a supplimentary tree at this point. Dragon is absurdly strong at endgame but requires you to get both the buff perks early in a run. Daggers and scythes do good work but only if you have very high bullet damage (ex. Grenade launcher). Note that the pentagram tome that boosts summons debuffs reload time, not bullet damage. Lens is cool and has some fun side interactions (get it on Hina and drop your clone on yourself). Ghost exists.

If summons get fleshed out more then a “pure” summoner might work better, but for now accept that even if you get every summon perk you’re going to be relying on guns and/or elemental as well.
Also the summon synergy unlock doesn't actually give you a damage boost on the bullet damage summon.