Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I ordered an impact driver,

Hell yeah. They work so much better for driving screws, I’d imagine that will solve your problem.

Also seconding the soap/wax recommendation, that’s a good one. Very old school but effective

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Welp. Just spent a solid hour measuring, leveling, mounting brackets for, and installing two roller blinds, using the hardware provided.

Mr. Phillips has a lot to answer for. Yes, I'm getting the Spax screws, but I had to mail-order them; small town.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Phillips screws are trash, but especially Phillips screws that are included as part of the installation kit for something are trash. Those are made out of the cheapest possible materials, to save half a cent per unit. The screws can only be driven at most once before the head is irreplaceably damaged.

tildes
Nov 16, 2018
I am not sure this is the right thread for this, but I am making a homemade freestanding climbing wall and am curious for some advice.

I’m basically roughly following this guide: https://www.rei.com/blog/climb/how-i-built-backyard-climbing-wall-at-home

The nice thing about this guide is that you basically just build the wall onto an existing swing set A-frame. I feel reasonably good about my ability to build a swing set A-frame using brackets, and I feel pretty good about my ability to build the frame/climbing wall panels. The connecting the two part I’m a bit shakier on, for reasons I describe below.

The main differences are that I’m hoping (1) to get a climbing surface which is 8’ wide by 12’ tall (so 3 8’x4’ things of plywood), and (2) I’d like to be able to remove the climbing panels from the swing’s A frame structure during the (Northeastern US) winter and store them inside. I feel reasonably confident that the swing frame will be fine through a winter with appropriate lumber/treatment/a big tarp on top, but much much less confident about the panels being ok.

For (1), I’m planning to just get brackets to make the swing set frame with, like these: https://a.co/d/gDjdmhO. It seems like the support legs are intended to be 8’ 4”x4”s, so my initial thought was just to use 12’ 4”x4”s instead, and then maybe add some 2”x6”s running across as extra support. I am not really sure if this is a reasonable sounding change to make though- maybe 8’ is just like the limit of a viable swing set and the lumber will like crack in half or something? If need be I can just make the climbing surface 8’ by 8’ instead so I follow the swing set guide exactly.

For (2), my thought was basically that in step 3, where he attaches the frame with metal “L” brackets, I would just use bolts to attach the L brackets to the swing set frame. Then I can theoretically take the panels on and off at the start/end of each summer using those bolts.

Does this seem like a reasonable idea? Is there some much easier method I am missing here, or some clear issue with what I am planning that will make this all fail horribly?

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Apropos of the screw topic, here’s a cool chart I found

Nice to see the double square head, glad I’m not the only one who gets frustrated w the traditional square drive

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe
I was introduced to Robertson/square by my Canadian in-laws and migrating to those primarily has been a huge reduction in annoyance on projects

Imasalmon
Mar 19, 2003

Meet me in the Hall of Fame

Qwijib0 posted:

I was introduced to Robertson/square by my Canadian in-laws and migrating to those primarily has been a huge reduction in annoyance on projects

Similar situation here, to the point that I'm slowly replacing the Phillips screws that are prevalent around my new house whenever I have to interact with them. The problem I have is that now I had to order a pack of 100 screws for a specific application from McMaster Carr whenever I need to fix something.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

BIG-DICK-BUTT-gently caress posted:

Apropos of the screw topic, here’s a cool chart I found

Nice to see the double square head, glad I’m not the only one who gets frustrated w the traditional square drive

Spax has introduced their own special head, the T-Star Plus, which I thiiiink is compatible with normal stars?

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Anybody use any floorplan apps for iOS? About to head to our house to take some measurements for stuff and it’d be fun to mess around and do some room planning. Willing to pay a little cash.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

So, we've had a problem with drywall staining and crumbling at the bottom of one of our sunroom's exterior walls. We had roofers in to look for a leak, and they concluded it was probably because of the in-wall drain spout in the area. The drain has since been capped and replaced by an exterior spout.

I have taken off the bad drywall and insulation in the area, and discovered that the bottoms of several studs in the area are rotten, and the base plate is rotten as well. The backer board in the area of the pipe is also still soggy and easily pulled off in chunks.

Is this something I might be able to repair myself, or is this "call a carpenter and warm up the checkbook" time?

(The white PVC pipe in the center of the area is the now sealed downspout.)

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Give it a couple weeks to dry out. If the framing is not deforming, and remains reasonably solid (I.e. will take a nail or screw), you could spray it with Kilz and leave it be.

Sure, it looks like poo poo, but it’s function is structural, not aesthetic.

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost
I have to dig a large 3 foot pit in my front and back yards by hand. And lucky me my soil is very sticky and clay heavy. :unsmigghh:

Aside from hiring a mini excavator (not an option) any tips for making this job any easier, aside from sharpening some higher quality long handled shovels?

Qwijib0 posted:

Just make sure that you're getting REAL Robertson screws. Lots of China knockoff Robbies going around that are square but don't have the recessed bottom, which is part of what makes Robertsons awesome.

melon cat fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Jun 19, 2022

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

A mattock can do wonders for cutting into that poo poo, and since you said “3’ pit” you might actually have room to swing it a fair ways down.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

melon cat posted:

I have to dig a large 3 foot pit in my front and back yards by hand. And lucky me my soil is very sticky and clay heavy. :unsmigghh:

Aside from hiring a mini excavator (not an option) any tips for making this job any easier, aside from sharpening some higher quality long handled shovels?

Got any neighborhood youths who like white washing fences? Is your budget literally $0? Because I would bring home some folks from Home Depot to dig. This is perfect day laborer stuff. Stake it off with twine, hand them a yard stick, tell them when it's that deep they're done. Have food and water and all that available.

Call 811. Have it staked off.

How many bodies are you burying?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Standard load out around here for hand digging is a digging bar like this: https://www.lowes.com/pd/Truper-Tru-Pro-72-in-Pencil-point-Digging-Bar/3055439

Give you quite a workout but still better than trying with just a shovel.

Also, a miniex is always an option (mine fits though 28" doorways when configured the right way).

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

H110Hawk posted:

That seems more like a back yard pit job instead of a front one.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

H110Hawk posted:

Got any neighborhood youths who like white washing fences? Is your budget literally $0? Because I would bring home some folks from Home Depot to dig. This is perfect day laborer stuff. Stake it off with twine, hand them a yard stick, tell them when it's that deep they're done. Have food and water and all that available.

Call 811. Have it staked off.

The goon lives in Ontario, so it's on1call.com

Also might be worthwhile to get a private locate done as one call only marks on public property and the water line is private between the shut off valve and the house. Some other stuff may be private at a certain point that isn't at the meter/ right at the house.

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost
Unfortunately day labourers aren't an option out where I live. It's gonna be chain gang style labour all done by me. Maybe a couple of friends if I can rope them into it.

Thanks for introducing me to the mattock and digging bar. I'll head out and buy those

Motronic posted:

Also, a miniex is always an option (mine fits though 28" doorways when configured the right way).
Miniex hire would be fine for my backyard but locates report did show some gas lines around our front yard so that will be done by hand. Also I called around for a mini ex hire since I rather have someone else do it if I was going that route and got two "gently caress you" quotes from some miniex owners. So hand digging it is.

Ambassadorofsodomy posted:

Also might be worthwhile to get a private locate done as one call only marks on public property and the water line is private between the shut off valve and the house. Some other stuff may be private at a certain point that isn't at the meter/ right at the house.
Yeah I did OneCall but was unaware of the private locates. OneCall did mark up the public side AND halfway up my driveway so they only marked up my frontyard really. Any suggestions for who I can call for a private locate? I still have some time before I start digging.

melon cat fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Jan 15, 2024

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

melon cat posted:

Unfortunately day labourers aren't an option out where I live. It's gonna be chain gang style labour all done by me. Maybe a couple of friends if I can rope them into it.

Thanks for introducing me to the mattock and digging bar. I'll head out and buy those

Miniex hire would be fine for my backyard but locates report did show some gas lines around our front yard so that will be done by hand. Also I called around for a mini ex hire since I rather have someone else do it if I was going that route and got two "gently caress you" quotes from some miniex owners. So hand digging it is.

hey if you've got a few problems that need to disappear join us for a "barbecue" next weekend yeah?

Yeah I did OneCall but was unaware of the private locates. OneCall did mark up the public side AND halfway up my driveway so they only marked up my frontyard really. Any suggestions for who I can call for a private locate? I still have some time before I start digging.
I'll send you a pm in a few hours with some names of companies who have done private locates on jobs that I have worked on. I will stick with companies that I have, in my experience found to be reputable, thorough, or otherwise not lovely. Currently at the pub so would rather type it out on computer than phone. That being said, you can use mechanical/ powered equipment to do your digging, just make sure to stay at least one metre away from any paint marks. you are in the gta city that starts with an H correct? And has a steel industry?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

That being said, you can use mechanical/ powered equipment to do your digging, just make sure to stay at least one metre away from any paint marks.

A proper locate will also give you depth also. Staying 24" away in any plane is more than enough. When you're good at this it means digging deeper to the convenient side while you knock soil into the trench with a shovel until you fine the located line and emptying the trench with the machine.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Motronic posted:

A proper locate will also give you depth also. Staying 24" away in any plane is more than enough. When you're good at this it means digging deeper to the convenient side while you knock soil into the trench with a shovel until you fine the located line and emptying the trench with the machine.

Private citizens aren't necessarily obligated to obey the regulations as much as contractors are (yes they are but you catch my drift I assume) but I've never seen a locate here that said any less than 1 meter unless you're hand digging. Even then hand digging excludes swinging a pickaxe/ mattock because they can still gently caress poo poo up before you know it. There's a bunch that will say 2, 3 or more depending on various poo poo that I can't think of right now. Also never seen a locate that's says anything besides "depth of plant may vary, use caution"

With hdd (horizontal dIrectional drilling) they have a beacon in the head that can be used to determine depth of the bit, but I don't think I've ever seen a locate that had a depth measurement unless a vac truck had been there first, sucked the poo poo out and visually measured, and recorded depth from surface.

I was working at and old gm plant in Windsor one time and they sucked the hole out to verify the location of the main gas line that fed the plant. Had to drop my rods in and use a jackhammer type dealie to pound my sampling tools n to the ground whilst a giant rear end boulder hung precariously over the biggest gas line I've ever seen that wasn't part of a legit gas pipeline.
I didn't like seeing little bits of dirt falling around the sides of the home while I was drilling. It was a bit unnerving!

But anyway, crotchety old driller tangent over with for now.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

With hdd (horizontal dIrectional drilling) they have a beacon in the head that can be used to determine depth of the bit, but I don't think I've ever seen a locate that had a depth measurement unless a vac truck had been there first, sucked the poo poo out and visually measured, and recorded depth from surface.

If you can physically clip something to a metal gas line you can use an electrical locator to get depth (you'll need to use a ground spike somewhere else to make the circuit but that's not a big deal). They're super rad and work great. Very expensive. But just home gamer expensive, any pro should have one.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

I won't disagree with you but a poo poo load of gas service lines and even mains these days are plastic. They may or may not have functioning tracer wires.

There are still lots of steel lines out there, but 1/2"PE is what I see typically for the plastic lines.
I'm sure they could give a more precise depth since the public locators have the actual utility records to go by and don't just scan blindly for signals but public guys get paid by the ticket here, not by the hour, so it's easier to say "depth may vary use caution" rather than take 5 more minutes and record the depth via measurements or records (which may vary due to landscaping or other grade changes etc).

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

They may or may not have functioning tracer wires.

They overwhelmingly do not as I assume you already know. These always seem to rot off long before anyone would need to locate them again.

When it's a pinch you can turn them off at the curb and open them up at the house, feed a fish tape in there and use that to power up for the locate. I know this isn't practical everywhere/every time.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Motronic posted:

They overwhelmingly do not as I assume you already know. These always seem to rot off long before anyone would need to locate them again.

When it's a pinch you can turn them off at the curb and open them up at the house, feed a fish tape in there and use that to power up for the locate. I know this isn't practical everywhere/every time.

"We can't do it, we don't have the budget!":v:

At that point it would probably be more practical to just get a vac truck, but see my first sentence.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Alright, have my own fix it fast question.

Just got back from the pub and my kitchen light is not working.

A few hours ago it worked and now it does not.

Its probably the cheapest bullshit builder grade crap from when my condo was built and uses 2 x round fluorescent light bulbs
I don't recall when but a few years ago I replaced at least one of the bulbs. Possibly both, but I don't recall for sure. I know I still have one of the old bulbs that has some darkening around the "ends" (where the electrical connections are) but I think I kept it because it still worked. The current bulbs don't have that darkening. I tried to replace one bulb with the old one, but no luck. From what little I recollect, they *probably* aren't wired in series, so if one goes out, the other will still work but in this case both are out and that was not the case a few years ago IIRC when one completely died.

Checked all the breakers and poked the wires with a volt meter, switch on, and got 120 v AC at the wire nuts coming in to the fixture.
I have no idea how to check the ballast, but based on my experience with fluorescent lights, thats usually the problem. There were no noticeable symptoms of the ballast going bad that I noticed. The light went on a few hours ago and didn't come on half an hour ago.

Is the most likely culprit the ballast or should I check for something else? What else is there to check assuming the bulbs are still good?

First pic is with one of the bulbs removed, but thats what it looks like with the cover off.

Second is, I presume the ballast?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

It's the ballast. It may have blown the bulbs too.

None of this is worth repairing. Find an LED fixture to replace it with.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Fuuuuuuuuuck.

Well I can survive for a couple weeks with this till I have some time off and can get to a legit lighting store.
One thing I've learned from HCH is to stay away from lowes-depot etc for this type of thing.

I don't necessarily need a top of the line fixture, but any brands I should avoid? Or will real lighting stores typically not carry lovely brands?

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

This weekend I cleaned out my garage a bit, and came across some extension cords that I needed to re-do the ends on, so I popped over to Ace and grabbed the 2 20 volt female ends they had left, and then just grabbed a 15 volt for the third one, which I figured I'd use for a little lovely 3' cord I had around.

I really wasn't thinking about what I was doing, I just stripped the wires, got everything nice and tight and plugged it in to make sure it would work.

That's when I looked in my hand and saw I was holding a male plug. Apparently I grabbed the wrong plug while in the store and made the forbidden extension cord while not paying attention.

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

melon cat posted:

Just make sure that you're getting REAL Robertson screws. Lots of China knockoff Robbies going around that are square but don't have the recessed bottom, which is part of what makes Robertsons awesome.

rent a demo hammer and a clay spade, it'll carve the clay up real nice

e: I can dig a 16"x16"x16" footing in sticky clay in like 15 minutes with mine, for reference.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

AFewBricksShy posted:

This weekend I cleaned out my garage a bit, and came across some extension cords that I needed to re-do the ends on, so I popped over to Ace and grabbed the 2 20 volt female ends they had left, and then just grabbed a 15 volt for the third one, which I figured I'd use for a little lovely 3' cord I had around.

I really wasn't thinking about what I was doing, I just stripped the wires, got everything nice and tight and plugged it in to make sure it would work.

That's when I looked in my hand and saw I was holding a male plug. Apparently I grabbed the wrong plug while in the store and made the forbidden extension cord while not paying attention.

Pics or it didn't happen. Also your christmas lights better be ON POINT this year.

PremiumSupport
Aug 17, 2015
Cross-post from the HVAC thread:

Like much of the US it is unseasonably hot outside and the fan motor on my AC system's compressor picked this morning to apparently seize up. The AC calls for cooling, I hear the unit straining for about 30 seconds, but the blades don't spin and the unit then kicks off. I've called the HVAC people, but they're booked two weeks out.

Anything I can do to kick-start this thing?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

The first thing to check would be the start/run capacitor. I'm assuming your fan isn't actually mechanically seized. That's just unlikely.

PremiumSupport
Aug 17, 2015
The fan being seized is more likely than you'd think, as it's already been replaced once for the exact same issue a few years ago. I have to admit though I did not try spinning the blades by hand before leaving for work this morning as it was already piss-off hot outside.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

PremiumSupport posted:

The fan being seized is more likely than you'd think, as it's already been replaced once for the exact same issue a few years ago. I have to admit though I did not try spinning the blades by hand before leaving for work this morning as it was already piss-off hot outside.

Pull the disconnect before you try that. It's supposed to be right there or your main panel if it's line of site and close.

But yeah try the capacitor. Hopefully it's not another seized unit that sucks.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

BonoMan posted:

Anybody use any floorplan apps for iOS? About to head to our house to take some measurements for stuff and it’d be fun to mess around and do some room planning. Willing to pay a little cash.

Quoting myself to say I ended up using the Magicplan free tier and it was pretty awesome.

I have an older iPad so I wasn't able to utilize any lidar stuff from an iPhone, but the AR still did a decent enough job. Supplemented with some laser measure readings and it's really quick to get an accurate floorplan made of your house. (it even has an option to integrate directly with a bluetooth enabled laser measure if you have one - I didn't).

PremiumSupport
Aug 17, 2015

H110Hawk posted:

Pull the disconnect before you try that. It's supposed to be right there or your main panel if it's line of site and close.

But yeah try the capacitor. Hopefully it's not another seized unit that sucks.

Was planning on using a stick. I like my fingers attached to my hand...

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

AFewBricksShy posted:

If it makes you feel better, I did exactly the same thing with two cords I was repairing a couple months ago. That wonderful experience level where you're confident enough to breeze through stuff, but incompetent enough to gently caress it all up as a result.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009
So turns out there IS a capacitor in the washing machine, just not where I was expecting it to be.

Local appliance place says $80 and they won't get it in until end of the week at earliest.

Online amazon/ebay looks like they're about $30 but I assume that's a piece of crap. Online random parts vendors from googling, looks like $60ish.

Any reliable online vendors you all would recommend with quick shipping? Or should I just have the local shop order it for me?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Tyro posted:

So turns out there IS a capacitor in the washing machine, just not where I was expecting it to be.

Local appliance place says $80 and they won't get it in until end of the week at earliest.

Online amazon/ebay looks like they're about $30 but I assume that's a piece of crap. Online random parts vendors from googling, looks like $60ish.

Any reliable online vendors you all would recommend with quick shipping? Or should I just have the local shop order it for me?

End of the week? You're not getting it any faster AND high quality than having your local shop buy it. You might try other supply shops - shop by spec not "maytag part 1234" but "x-volts, y-microfarad" and you might get better hits.

They might knock off $5 if you pay cash. Have that cash with you as exact change when you ask.